Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:08   #76
Senior - BHPian

Then please update the service manager only.
Old 13th December 2008, 12:19   #77
BHPian

Got a call from ford dealer saying that panther black will be available only next year that is jan 15 currently only morello is available . :(

Last edited by bullboy : 13th December 2008 at 12:20.
Old 13th December 2008, 14:00   #78
BHPian

according to the dealer , there is currently no production for ikon as the plant is hutdown for maintenance .Fresh lot of ikons will be available from jan onwards and will come with a 2009 YOM. can anybody plz confirm this.
Old 13th December 2008, 17:00   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

@bullboy, that would be Bad planning on part of the people responsible for the plant's operations. The Ikon manufacturing lines would have restarted in full flow very recently. Maintenance would have been done ahead of that.

Maintenance for the Fiesta's assembly line would sound more convincing at this time.

Hell of a lot of bookings, so the dealers do need to give some goli's to keep customers at bay.
Old 14th December 2008, 18:48   #80
Senior - BHPian

had a TD yesterday.
Really surprising.A good car for the OnRoad price in Chennai comes around 5.78Lakhs only.No freebies though.
As everyone told,Plastics are not pathetic.
yes little vibration in Gear Lever.But it's ok,when can live with it.
VFM.But lack in safety things.
Spacious and roomy.
NVH is high as compare to fiesta.But faster than fiesta.
Braking is good.city manoeuver is a breeze.
I definitely recommend this car for anyone have an idea to buy a diesel car below 6 Lakhs.
Old 16th December 2008, 23:23   #81
BHPian

Does the diesel ikon come with climate control A/c. Look at this below

The Ikon is all about finding your own space. A lot of it. From the best in class 400 litre boot to the comfortable seat angles and legroom provision, and the climate control air-conditioning system. Look into the Ikon, and you’ll notice that the all-new plush dual tone beige interiors come in just one trim - luxury.
Old 17th December 2008, 10:06   #82
Senior - BHPian

Yes,It's come with Climate Control Ac.But not an Automatic
I am keen on getting the car soon.
Old 17th December 2008, 12:01   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
pshyamsundar : Does the diesel ikon come with climate control A/c. Look at this below

" .. and the climate control air-conditioning system.. "
@Shyamsundar - that does not mention the word "Control" anywhere. The key words would have been "Climate Control"
Old 17th December 2008, 13:28   #84
BHPian

Well that is what is mentioned in the description of the Ikon in the internet. It says it comes with "the climate control air-conditioning system".

I just want to understand if it will be like the one in swift where you just set a temp and it works. Or is it different from that.

One of the features that I felt missing from fiesta as a climate control a/c. I think that makes the fiesta kind of incomplete sedan. If they add it to the Sxi model then it is an absolute winner.
Old 17th December 2008, 13:46   #85
BHPian

i had a TD of ikon TDCi. My observations
1. Engine noisy - noise filters into the cabin
2. Driving / handling in good. Gears Ok
3. Suspension is good. Ride over broken surfaces in good
4. Driving position is ok.
5. Interiors - were better than expected . very good for the segment it serves
6. back seat comfort was good.
Wants.
A. Airbags and ABS
B. Headlights / Taillamps could have been more stylised
C. NVH levels better
overall a great package and VFM.
Old 18th December 2008, 23:20   #86
BHPian

Took a TD of the Ikon TDCi today

d_himan & I took a TD of the Ikon TDCi today. Following are my observations

1) Torque delivery was linear, could feel the rush in the engine almost immediately after it takes off (There is no sweet spot like in the swift ddis)

2) The maneuverability is absolutely stunning and one feels in control while driving it, the steering feels a little heavier than the petrol version IMO

3) Gear Vibrations and NVH is annoying, but when the car is crusing @ 60kmph on the 4th gear (17 - 1800 rpm) it simmers down

4) Although the plastics may not be the best looking amongst its competition, the car feels its built to last and it swallows potholes with ease in spite of the tubed 175/70 R13 stock tires

5) I found this a bit weird but the car does not have a remote / boot release lever as a stock feature, one has to pay 5.8K to get them installed

6) The dealer (SC Ford, Malad) went on and on about the fact that they are going to take up prices of the Ikon Diesel by 15-20K in Jan. But I do not believe it considering the situation Ford is in currently.

Am giving seroius thoughts to booking this vehicle somewhere post the budget (will be a wait and watch game for me till that time). Its totally VFM and will be light on the pocket due to its FE and 2 years warranty (am hoping).
Old 24th December 2008, 13:26   #87
BHPian

Dear,

Brothers / Auto Lovers or My Fellow Bhpians

I am so sorry for being late in sharing my experience with my new machine (Ikon TDCI, the Great Diesel Josh). The reason for the delay is very good news coming in my family, which kept me busy for so long. My beloved younger sister got engaged to a lovely boy, I think this reason is fair enough for the delay and I can be excused. I am still very busy in all the preparation stuff but just sneaked some little time I had for sharing my experience. Though haven’t driven the car much, just around 500 kms but will love to share my take on the machine as of know.

Moving on know to the Machine

Color of the Machine:

Morello, (Wine colour)

Model:-

Ikon TDCI

Manufactured Date:-

Somewhat in late November forgot the date

Total Cost as of Date:-

Ex-showroom: - 519000
Loading and Unloading: - 2750
No. Plate: - 850
Insurance: - 15500
Ex Warranty: - 7870
Acc. from Dealer: - 8500
ICE: - Approx. 30000 (Details follow)
Alloys and Rubbers: - 18000 (Details follow)

Grand Total: - 627900

Delivery of the car:

I bought the car from Harpreet Ford, Delhi got the delivery at 8:00 PM from the Guard and Sales guy waiting for me at the Gate of the showroom, so cant share much about my delivery exp. but summing it up it was fair enough, the reason for choosing to take the car that late was, the Roka Ceremony of my sister (The ceremony for Saying the Boy is ours and the Girl is yours).

Freebies from Dealer:

As mentioned earlier in the post, Mats and a Travel port Voucher where in I have to pay 700 for a 2 nights 3 day stay at any of the selected location around 70 cities in India.

Accessories from Ford Dealer:

Boot release, Rs 5700
(If you are married and travels frequently to Malls and Hotels, then it’s a must or lives in a place like Delhi, home of Extreme weathers)
Rear Chrome Deck Lid, Rs 2200
(Wasn’t necessary but that looked cool with my cars Color)
Door Protectors, Rs 1000
(Was extremely necessary, being in Delhi or rather anywhere in India)

Paint Job:-

Good more than fair for the price offered but must say the car looks stunning in Morello

Exterior:-

I have mixed feeling for this new Kinetic design from Ford, Some times the looks grow on you and some time you feel they are just fine but frankly saying my heart is still with the old 1.6 Nxt design. Overall the car looks more than fine for the price.

Interior:-

The dash looks ages old and the switches in the door sits quite low which make it some time quite awkward to use them. The plastic quality is not also great but what to expect at this price. Beige Upholstery is good but this lends to have an easy love with dust and stains. The clocks are also fine, clearly visible and do their job fine. The most annoying thing is the steering which is not adjustable and sits quite low on the stance. For a person like me who is 6 feet tall, sometimes it ends up touching my knee. Overall if I have to sum up its satisfactory.

Engine:-

Refinement
Refined but not as refined as bigger sibling Fiesta, If have to compare it with my Optra magnum it is no was near to the refinement but still it is not loud enough. The sounds eases up after sometime but one thing which wonders me is the fact that, from outside the machine sounds quite refined but when you sit inside its quite noisy, shows cost cutting for the price.

Performance
It doesn’t have the sudden urge of torque diesels like Swift and Verna which makes sudden power after 2000 rpm rather the power is quite linear which is available through out all rpm which makes the car hoot to drive in city. Because of the linear power delivery it doesn’t make u realize the speeds which u is actually doing. Haven’t crossed anything more than 2500-2800 rpms, so cant say about higher rpms but looks like won’t be having any efforts to do so.

Gearbox
Haven’t felt something like this in the segment, my City is no where, my Optra is not even comparable, yes some way near or closer to my Innova. The gearbox is so slick to use, that you enjoy shifting. Just give a slight command from your left hand the thing is done.

Clutch
A bit on the harder side, not impressed at all, I wish this might soften up after clocking few more miles.

Handling:-

This car surely is the younger sibling of the Fiesta, haven’t experienced something like this rather than Fiesta, I don’t feel like driving my City after experiencing something like this. Quite stable at speeds like 80, haven’t touched more than this.

Steering:-

Quite inspiring or perfectly balanced or weighted for Highway or fun drives but touch heavier for the city use. Overall do’s the great job.

Ride Quality:-

Quite impressive, soaks up the potholes and bumps quite easily.

Build Quality:-

Again, quite impressive, gives you build to last feel.

Efficiency:-

I think this would be the new mileage champion. I fuelled for 1100 bugs (around 31.5 Lts) the machine clocked around 470 kms in Delhi city driving, comes out to be 14.9 which is quite impressive for first fuel up and city driving.

ICE:-
Head: Pioneer 6050 UB
Front speakers: Pioneer 4.5”
Rear speaker: JBL GTO 6 X 9
Amp: Sony forgot no.
Sub woofer: 12” Pioneer forgot no.
Ice is sounding very amazing, but one thing which annoys is absence of Antenna. Even after putting an inner antenna, the quality is very bad. Might put and external one know.

Horn:-

Changed to Hella super tone

Other accz:-

Bumper protectors

Rubbers and Alloys:-

Alloys: Prestige 14”
Tires: Bridgestone 185/65/R14
Traded my Goodyear 13” with Bridgestone’s

Overall Verdict:-

Great VFM Product, which can handle good, drive good and is very frugal and above all at the price of a hatch

My Wishes for the Car:-

Wish it had ABS
Wish it had better dashboard
Wish it had tilt Steering

My Future plans:-

Getting Peted
Putting K&N filters

Hope I had inched in everything possible. Sorry if had made some grammar mistakes or any other misses as it was written in quite a pace.

Again sorry for the pics Quality as was taken in night and with the Mobile, more pics with better quality will follow soon.

Mods please edit the title if required!

Last edited by v12 : 24th December 2008 at 13:54.
Old 24th December 2008, 14:04   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

@Budhiraj, congrats !

Btw, which internal antenna do you have ?
Old 24th December 2008, 14:07   #89
Team-BHP Support

Budhiraj : I got your post cleaned up by the mods. It had a lot of formatting tags in it.

Congrats and good to see you are enjoying your ride. You did mention snaps, but however i fail to see any.
Old 24th December 2008, 14:13   #90
BHPian

Congratulations on the new purchase.

For a brand new car RPMs in the region of 2500-2800 seems a bit high to me. I would say keep it under 2200 before the fist service is done.

Drive safe and always wear seat belts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks