Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2008, 13:23   #1
BHPian

Diesel josh - Joining the club soon

Intro

Fellow Bhpians, it all started few months back when I was looking for a diesel hatch but was overturned due to options available,

Swift:- Great Car, but very common and already 3 in the family by cousins
Vista:- Already own Indica turbo, so doesn't wanted that name and Tata services again.
Palio MJD:- Great Machine, Sturdy but again Tata services and Flimsy Fiat Image.
Getz CRDI:- Rocket on road but price and less of safety gear for that stonker was going against it.

So no option left but to wait and watch in the market?

Know the begining of the chapter

After the news of Ikon diesel was closely following the car in threads for the launch. It happened and I went on to see the car and booked the machine few moments after the drive, know waiting for the car to delievered in few days time.

Ikon Diesel impressions:-

Pros:-

Down to earth Prices for such a good car (Sedan at price of Hatch)
Great Handler
Ok Looks
Impeccable ride quality for the price
Great Heart
Must be very frugal
Linear power delievery
Great gearbox

Cons:-

Engine doesn't sound as refined as in the Fiesta, despite being everything same
Ford Image
Ford A.S.S
Lack of features
Liitle Vibrations from gear lever

But again after summing up all what I found is I am getting a great car at a price of Hatch.

The colour Booked is Morello, as it is the favourite of my Sister and Wife

There are few things on which my dear bhpians won't agree like:-

Buying a Ford (Bad but doesn't seems that bad)
Generation old (Still it's not that bad, looking competition)
Buying very soon after launch (like to buy the cars just after their launch)

but frankly speaking I found more things to be positive for this car rather than nailing negatives.

Your Suggestions:-

Tyre & alloy Upgrade or not to 14"
Likes the spoiler a lot have ordered them, is it fine at 7200 (a bit expensive but nobody can match the paint job of a company dealer)
Chrome strip above no. plate which used to come in Sxi at 3000 (again a bit expensive but cannot find same quality outside)
ICE not decided as of yet, but your suggestions would be valuable
Any suggestions by any Bhpian, bcoz that's what matters to me most

Thanks to all for your support!
Old 20th November 2008, 13:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your decision, Budhiraj. That makes you the second one on the forum after roadwarrior, who has surprisingly gone missing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_budhiraj View Post
You can easily upsize to 14"ers, which shouldnt be an issue. Check out the prices that you would be getting for your old tyres and rims.

Quote:
Likes the spoiler a lot have ordered them, is it fine at 7200 (a bit expensive but nobody can match the paint job of a company dealer)
While the spoiler does look fine, depends on whether you really need it. At 7.2k, it isnt really cheap. I thought of getting one earlier, but then decided against it.

Quote:
Chrome strip above no. plate which used to come in Sxi at 3000 (again a bit expensive but cannot find same quality outside)
No wonder they say Indians are fascinated by chrome! Again, do you really feel it is worth it? I feel not.

How long till you get your car? Morello is a nice color, which is essentially a darker shade of what i have on my car, which was called Jewel Violet. Looks elegant.

Arent you getting any tints or the side strips on the door? What freebies are being offerred by the dealer?
Old 20th November 2008, 14:10   #3
BHPian

Congrats budhiraj, Have a nice drive. Pics awaited
Old 20th November 2008, 15:38   #4
BHPian

sounds like a great car dude! congrats!!!

but one small point: you complain about TATA service and opt for Ford Service?
Old 20th November 2008, 22:47   #5
BHPian

Great choice! Ford has really priced the Ikon 1.4 competitively, in fact the car can give the regular Indigo a run for its money. I would have surely considered buying one as a family runabout, if we hadn't bought for exactly this purpose already.

Quote:
Doesn't the Ikon come with 14 inchers as standard now? If not, most definitely opt for 14 inch alloys. Upgrade immediately upon delivery so you get the best price for your showroom tyres. Also ensure that you opt in on Fords extended warranty.

I look forward to an ownership report!

Last edited by GTO - Touring : 20th November 2008 at 22:50.
Old 20th November 2008, 23:07   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Doesn't the Ikon come with 14 inchers as standard now?
175/70 R13 is whats being offerred as standard. Earlier they were shod with MRF ZVTS, but thankfully they provide Goodyear now, as standard.
Old 20th November 2008, 23:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!
Personally i always like the spoiler and Ikon spoiler is really good, tad expensive at 7.2k though!
ICE- Many gurus will be able to ans that.
Upgrade to 14" with alloys is a must (will add to the look of the car with spoiler)
WHen are you getting the delivery, do post the pics whenever you get it.
Old 20th November 2008, 23:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Chrome strip above no. plate which used to come in Sxi at 3000
Most importantly it serves as the grip for the boot, w/o which lifting & closing the boot it is kinda cumbersome also the chrome one adds a lot to the show of the car.
I got that(declid) for free(along with a bunch of other things) Try talk them into it, if nothing ask them to give a plastic one.

A friend liked it so much that he picked up one from the general spares shop for 260 bucks, it doesn't at all look like an imitation or 2nds part.
Old 20th November 2008, 23:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Extended warranty maybe?

MAHA Congrats. koi pics toh dalo
Old 21st November 2008, 07:00   #10
BHPian

Congrats budhiraj! Classic case of a VFM sedan grabbing the market away from someone who was considering hatches.
Go for the spoiler – somehow my personal feel is that the looks are incomplete without it. Good you ordered it. Is sun film missing in your list of accessories.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:10   #11
BHPian

Thanks a ton fellow Bhpians for your support as always!

Here are the answers of all your questions:-

1. I will be getting the delievery by next week. The reason why I am getting car next week is explained in point 4.

2. Spolier looks cool but I was in dilemma to whether spend that much on spolier or not and after receiving your vital feedbacks seems I should drop the Idea or May be I should bargain and see what comes out as new cost. What do you all say?

3. Wanted to put something on the no. plate area as that place looks bit empty. Ford doesn't provide the body coloured strip anymore whcih used to come in ZXI variant. Only option left is chrome for which again after receiving your vital feedbacks seems I should drop the Idea or May be I should bargain and see what comes out as new cost. What do you all say?

4. Wasn't getting anything as freebie as people are flooding the Ford with cash to buy the car ASAP already Harpreet ford in Delhi got more than 300 Bookings, reasons might be new car Hype, Price and as per Ford this is introductory price offer, the prices will be revised in January. What I am getting know is Rs 10000 disc + Mud flaps & foot mat kit and 2 nights 3 days trip any where in India with just 5 - 10% cost. The reason why I am getting all this is bcoz, IBM Employer and one of very close Buddy was the Boss of the sales guy from which I am getting the deal.

5. Will be definitely getting the sunfilms ASAP after the delievery

6. I am very fond of alloys, so will be taking the car direclty after delievery to the Tyre shop, will take the car Home & temple only after set of 14" alloys and new tyres might be Michelin this time (Haven't tried them as of yet)

7. Any more suggestions by any Bhpian, bcoz that's what matters to me most
Old 21st November 2008, 12:13   #12
Team-BHP Support

most important: Extended Warranty
Old 21st November 2008, 12:20   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I am getting know is Rs 10000 disc + Mud flaps & foot mat kit and 2 nights 3 days trip any where in India with just 5 - 10% cost. The reason why I am getting all this is bcoz, IBM Employer and one of very close Buddy was the Boss of the sales guy from which I am getting the deal.
Looks like you got the corporate discount, plus the travel thing thrown in, although i didnt really understand what it is.

Quote:
Any more suggestions by any Bhpian, bcoz that's what matters to me most
As Eddy has mentioned, get the Extended Warranty, just to be on the safe side.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Looks like you got the corporate discount, plus the travel thing thrown in, although i didnt really understand what it is.

As Eddy has mentioned, get the Extended Warranty, just to be on the safe side.
Yes it's a corporate deal and something with travel which even I didn't understood properly, will be checking at the time of delievery

Will be definitely going for that, the dealer haven't got the amount of Extended warranty as of yet. I think by the time of delievery it will be there and I will have it.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Spolier looks cool but I was in dilemma to whether spend that much on spolier or not and after receiving your vital feedbacks seems I should drop the Idea or May be I should bargain and see what comes out as new cost. What do you all say?
Hi Budhiraj,

Congratulations on a great decision and welcome to the Ford Family

I have spoken to a couple of guys from Ford and they have advised me against the spoiler. Apparently quite a few people have faced water seepage issues into the boot through the holes drilled for it.
Also, once it is fitted you cant realy remove it (for any reason) as there will be holes in the boot.

Just my POV, not sure whether guys here have faced similar issues but just wanted to share the info I was given.

p.s. I have 2 Ikons in the family, my and my dad's so this info has been given by 2 different sources.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks