Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2008, 13:29   #1

Scorpio MHawk performance

I have done 3000km in my new MHawk VLS. It has performed well so far ( 1 month ) I have done most of the driving on highway and country roads. I am comfortable driving it on roug roads and I have filled the tyres with Nitrogen gas pressure @ 32. Recently I drove down from Mumbai to Kolhapur. I had the following observations / concerns with these. Wanted to hear other MHawk users experiences.

1. The vehicle at slow - medium speed is extremely uncomfortable on rough roads. The whole chassis seems to thump and the scorp sways a lot sideways. Am I maintaining incorrect tyre pressure?

2. I did the Mumbai- Kolhapur stretch at an average speed between 80- 110 kmph and i got an average of 12.1 kmpl. Company claims I should get 13.9 is that because of the speed or the newness of the engine?

3. In the Scorp it was easy to get to 120kmph however I was not able to take the Scorp to 140kmph which i should be able to do. I regularly do this route on Honda City and I can take that to 140 kmph quite easily. IS there any issue with new engines and the time taken to break it in?

4. The Scorpio makes honking whistling sound at low speeds within the cabin. I was told it might be a pressure escape valve which will be worked during servcing. Has anybody faced a similar isue?
Old 20th November 2008, 15:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

mHawk is a lovely car - and I also found the body roll to be excessive at slow speeds on rough/bad roads.

BTW- this needs to be moved to the Initial Ownership Reports section.
Old 20th November 2008, 15:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

How does the Mhawk behave on winding roads?
Old 20th November 2008, 15:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
How does the Mhawk behave on winding roads?
It will do what NoThInG eLsE wIlL dO

pschizo: seems your's a rare case. Check with your service centre. I heard mHawk is good at low-med speeds.

Can anyone comment about the tyre pressure.
Old 20th November 2008, 16:08   #5
BHPian

Difficulty reaching 140kmph is shocking!!!
The engine is well powered and even though its an SUV it should do 140kmph with ease.
Old 20th November 2008, 16:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new carcheers:

Hmmm, yours seems to be an isolated case. One M Hawk owner on this forum (Raj_5004) has achieved a top speed of 170 kmph on his vehicle and mileage of 13 kmpl at speeds exceeding 120 kmph. From what I remember, he mentioned that he touched 150 kmph effortlessly & thereafter it was a slow & steady climb.

You should PM him for more details.

Have you asked the service center to check out the issues that you have faced?
Old 20th November 2008, 16:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new ride!

And something definitely wrong here. Please have your vehicle checked throughly. Maybe a second opinion, apart from the regular place, might help.
Old 20th November 2008, 16:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Congratulations!

mHawk is a lovely car - and I also found the body roll to be excessive at slow speeds on rough/bad roads.

BTW- this needs to be moved to the Initial Ownership Reports section.
you should try the older versions of the scorpio to check the body roll , the mhawk has considerably lesserbody roll than the older versions.

Between are you saying that the mHAWK struggles to reach 140 kmph on flat roads or are you talking of the SUV being unable to attain such speeds on roads with high gradients ? I had taken the test ride of the mhawk along the outer ring road and todards the new airport and the vehice effortlessly touched speeds of upto 160 kmph with more juice on the pedals
Old 20th November 2008, 17:00   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

hellstar is correct
the older versions have more body roll than the MHAWK. this issue has been ironed out to a large extent in the new version - it may not still be perfect but it is certainly much much better.

struggling to reach 140 kmph I cant understand. because even my regular crde 2.6 hits 140 without a huge struggle - especially on the Mysore Bangalore road. the new Hawk is considerably superior in terms of pickup and performance compared with my crde normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
you should try the older versions of the scorpio to check the body roll , the mhawk has considerably lesserbody roll than the older versions.

Between are you saying that the mHAWK struggles to reach 140 kmph on flat roads or are you talking of the SUV being unable to attain such speeds on roads with high gradients ? I had taken the test ride of the mhawk along the outer ring road and todards the new airport and the vehice effortlessly touched speeds of upto 160 kmph with more juice on the pedals
Old 20th November 2008, 17:26   #10

Why dont you get the wheel balance check once more and get the suspension checked, maybe some adjustment needed with the shocks. I've got extremely satisfactory review from my neighbour. Most of the new engines get roused at 2500-3000, so it should not have been an issue with u.

Try changing your service/repair station, it helps sometimes.

Personally I had a problem with the power steering in my new Indica and the dealer that I bought it from was not able to solve, I approached the company and they guided me to show it to one of the other older and more experienced one and presto! it had a defect in the component of the assembly part so they changed the whole thing for free under warranty.

Wish you luck and keep us posted of the solution that you get.
Old 20th November 2008, 17:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Its a new car and have you got it serviced yet.

Performance will surely improve after a couple of services.

till then dont try to strain the engine to extremes.

And BTW 120 is enough for a scorpio,drive safe bro
Old 20th November 2008, 17:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes, wait for your first service and dont strain the engine till 5k kms.

You will definitely see improvements.
Old 20th November 2008, 17:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Can anyone comment about the tyre pressure.
I think 30 with nitrogen should be good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
One M Hawk owner on this forum (Raj_5004) has achieved a top speed of 170 kmph on his vehicle and mileage of 13 kmpl at speeds exceeding 120 kmph. From what I remember, he mentioned that he touched 150 kmph effortlessly & thereafter it was a slow & steady climb.
I doubt the Mhawk doing over 160 odd kph.
Old 20th November 2008, 21:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

@ pschizo:i have an mHawk buddy-
1) at low speeds, there should not be any thumping or sideway sways. but pls dont compare it with the city.
2) the average you are getting is fine buddy.
3) the best thing about the mHawk is its performance, it easily goes over 120 kmph till 150 kmph after which it the acceleration is dampened. i touched a max of 170 kmph on the mumbai-pune express highway.
4) the whistling sound is present and thats because of the turbo. however it should not be too intrusive, it should not be heard with the music on.

@ headers: mahindra claims the top speed as 160 kmph but i have seen a speedo reading of 170 kmph as mentioned.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2008, 21:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Can you post the service intervals for the Scorpio mhawk?
Anybody!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks