Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2009, 19:27   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont see a point in buying this vehicle at any price, its a chinese style effort by a tractor manufacturer, There is not even a single reason to consider this vehicle.
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sonalika Rhino - first impression

Any updates/reviews on the new Rhino? There is a review in today's local Malayalam daily. On road-price from 6 to 9 lakhs, new look exteriors (red and white color), good quality interiors, sedan like dashboard, 15 inch wheels, a/c vents for all three rows, 2000 cc CRDi engine, 130 bhp, mileage of 17 km/liter, worth the money as per the review.
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

The engine has always been its shining point - they lacked the wherewithal to go up against the Innova/Tavera on either quality or price. They better enter with a compelling price! (which wasnt there earlier)

/have a friend who helped developed/test this engine and he knows his job well.
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:35   #19
BHPian

The details of the new launch are on ICML's website International Cars & Motor Ltd: SUV MUV RHINO RX DLX Rhino Rx S1 S2 Dlx ICML Hoshiarpur Punjab India

An excerpt from the website.

Quote:
After the huge success of Rhino Rx –DI, International Cars & Motors Limited has come up with a new & upgraded version of its existing Rhino Rx named “Delite” with CRD-Fi technology. Rhino Rx “Delite” is equipped with latest 2.0 L TCIC Common Rail Direct Fuel Injection (CRD-Fi) system developed by “Continental International” having Unique Piezo Effect meeting Bharat Stage–IV standard. This is a New Generation CRD-Fi Engine powered with Advanced Piezo Technology is having extremely Short Response time & Minimum Noise levels.

Rhino Rx “Delite” now delivers a Power of 120 BHP @ 4000 RPM & Torque of 285 NM @ 1750-2500 RPM that too with “Best in class fuel efficiency” Rhino Rx is now available in mainly four versions which are “WINNER”, “XCITER”, “ROYALE” & “DELITE” in refreshing and exciting four new Colours Forest Green, Icy Blue, Purple Silver & Diamond White adding charm to its exterior looks & interiors which are at par with any luxury high end car.
Old 29th June 2013, 11:33   #20
BHPian

Let the pics do the talking.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonalika Rhino - first impression-img2013062700088.jpg  

Sonalika Rhino - first impression-img2013062700089.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2013, 12:45   #21
BHPian

I had the misfortune to drive this contraption for around 500+ kms (Kollam to Trissur) in a single day.

The things i hate about the Rhino( a.k.a ICML Xtreme):

* Poor braking (my 85 model cj500D has far better brakes)
* Awkwardly placed pedals.
* Driving seats that result in a pain for your thighs.
* Poor wiper blades (the car is just 2 months old)
* Pathetic mileage (approx 8-9 kmpl in highways)
* Noisy A/C
* Difficult for middle aged persons to get in and out.
* No airbags & ABS even for top end model
* A waste Nippon branded ICE.
* Window beading that lets water sweep in between the rubber leading to rust.

I started my journey at 5AM and took 6 hrs to make the journey of 250 kms, which normally takes me 4 - 4.5 hrs. The return trip was even harder due to heavy monsoon and road conditions.
Old 9th March 2015, 20:03   #22
BHPian

Hi friends,
The Rhino Rx is a DI Diesel engine, turbocharged, co-developed by MG Rover. The earlier models sported the HM-Avtec petrol engine that had very bad mileage figures.

The car has been designed by Lotus engineering-the same firm that designs cars for Lamborghini. The design process lasted 6 months but the car is not a looker at all.

The DI-diesel unit is powerful. But the interiors are not that good. The engine would certainly last 4 lakh kms. Rover engines have a reputation of lasting lakhs of kms.

So, a good engine and a reasonable price tag-all the elements make the car a good buy.

Even the next-gen Tavera will be powered by the Sonalika engine. So, why not consider a good indigenous product with a very reasonable price tag?(6-9 lakhs for an 8 seater)

Regards,
Ashok.

Last edited by Ashok Naik : 9th March 2015 at 20:08. Reason: additional information
Ashok Naik is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th March 2015, 20:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post

At that price, I asked why this staffer chose a Rhino, over a Sumo, Tavera, Bolero, Scorpio & Innova. His answer: 1. To be different.

Cheers,
When I first read the thread name 'Sonalika Rhino' my initial thought was who in there right minds would name there car this. But then I got the answer person wanted to be different.

Seriously though buying this over so many other options is a complete waste of money.
Old 9th March 2015, 20:14   #24
Team-BHP Support

But why did we dig up this ages old thread? I don't see even the Taxi sector using this vehicle anymore. Does it really matter as to who designed it?
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 14:46   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Naik View Post
The Rhino Rx is a DI Diesel engine, turbocharged, co-developed by MG Rover
You mean the same MG Rover that went bankrupt, was liquidated and BMW sold for merely 10 pounds?

Quote:
The car has been designed by Lotus engineering-the same firm that designs cars for Lamborghini
Please stop joking. Lotus does NOT design for Lamborghini.

Quote:
The design process lasted 6 months but the car is not a looker at all.
Well, their design objective was to emulate the Qualis. I'm surprised they even spent 6 months on a copy.

Quote:
The engine would certainly last 4 lakh kms
A tall, misleading claim, wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Rover engines have a reputation of lasting lakhs of kms.
I think you have your facts mixed up. Rover was NEVER the last word in reliability.

Quote:
a good engine and a reasonable price tag-all the elements make the car a good buy.
Luckily, the Indian customer is smarter and there are better options in the market.

I must put my Moderator hat on and give you a firm warning against posting misleading messages on Team-BHP. We have ZERO TOLERANCE for such posts.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 19:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Naik View Post
Hi friends,
The Rhino Rx is a DI Diesel engine, turbocharged, co-developed by MG Rover. The earlier models sported the HM-Avtec petrol engine that had very bad mileage figures.

The car has been designed by Lotus engineering-the same firm that designs cars for Lamborghini. The design process lasted 6 months but the car is not a looker at all.

The DI-diesel unit is powerful. But the interiors are not that good. The engine would certainly last 4 lakh kms. Rover engines have a reputation of lasting lakhs of kms.

So, a good engine and a reasonable price tag-all the elements make the car a good buy.

Even the next-gen Tavera will be powered by the Sonalika engine. So, why not consider a good indigenous product with a very reasonable price tag?(6-9 lakhs for an 8 seater)

Regards,
Ashok.
Ashok,

Sorry, but do you have any first-hand knowledge about the development of this vehicle? I would assume the answer to be no.

Why?

Coz I was in a way part of the associated development in its early days. This also gave me & my colleagues/ friends a very good insight of the process and what had gone in. I also got a chance to test drive the first prototype which was meant for homologation etc. Don't see much of change from that even today.

Since this is a public forum, I cannot get into the details. All I have to say is to take all that "Rover", "Lotus" & related english with a pinch of salt.

Have to admit, it was a very indigenous way of developing a product from scratch at a substantially lower cost. Kudos to ICML The engine & gearbox on the prototype, though crude, was its highlight back then (apart from the space). It could potter around in its top gear with a full load at 20kmph without the engine knocking. And it was diesel engine with a high fuel efficiency as per the test driver.

But still can't agree with "all the elements make the car a good buy" statement at all.

Last edited by vinjosep : 10th March 2015 at 19:23.
vinjosep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 19:41   #27
BHPian

Sorry guys,
Looks like I made some terrible mistakes judging the Rhino. I must have researched a bit more before believing the claims of the Rhino owner.

I would request the Moderators to delete any such misleading posts.

Next time I shall take care before posting. And never believe any car owner who boasts about his vehicle without any solid proof.

Regards,
Ashok.
Ashok Naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 20:17   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmddis View Post
wasn't the car designed by italian company Pininfarina.they are supposed to be great designers right??

can anybody give the kerb weights of Scorpio,tavera , innova etc
maybe the designers at Pininfarina were designing Ferraris and decided to call it a day quite late . Later while at home, he (the designer) must have got up to get some water and threw some pencil strokes on paper (half asleep) - and whoaaa The Sonalika Project was completed!!!
sukhi29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed