Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 22:50   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
...At the most your stepney will hit something - whatever it hits will be damaged, not the stepney cover...
Err...should I not try to avoid damage to anyone?

Quote:
...do yourself a favour and get a 3.0 stepney cover...
Do they still keep these covers in their shops, the 3.0 ones that is? I agree the 3.0 stepney cover looked much better than the current 2.2 ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
...I can understand under 2K rpm but why 60 kph?
Just me, again. It's just the mind that says 'take it easy until the first service'. Just a matter of internal feel, no logic.
Old 15th December 2008, 13:46   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
what daius said is right. 4 sensors and 1 camera is very good although they clutter the bumper!
but do sensors really give false indication when covered with muck? i have not faced such an issue in my scorpio and innova. once in the rain, a wet leaf got stuck on one of the sensors and it was showing a false alarm.
but such things can happen with the camera too! the leaf or muck will simply block the vision.
Possibly. To each his own..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
Congrats on the new ride dude, welcome to club Safari!
Looks good in Arctic silver, glad you managed to get your pics posted quicker than me, you must be nearing your first service, it seems Tata have ironed out most of the niggling faults, from last years launch of the 2.2.

Enjoy,

Stefan
I agree. Touchwood, I have not faced any serious issue or nagging niggle so far in relation to that experienced by some others earlier. And I have just completed 10K kms in 5.5 months.

Congratulations and happy truckin, Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Can you tell me:
1) How much does red soul cost?
2) Is the entire wiring of this kit 'independent' of the wiring of the vehicle?
3) How and where is the output produced? I mean, do you see the response from sensors and camera at the same time on the LCD? Or can you control the output? Can this same LCD be connected to the existing HU in the vehicle?
4) Does red soul has its own LCD, or will any LCD fit in with the kit?

Delhi-NCR Bhpians: Any trusted dealership service centre for Safari? How's Autolinks?
Sorry for delay in replying. Just got back last night from 1500 trip through TN. And I will be driving down to Mumbai tomorrow.

Red Soul is sold through the dealer itself. It is the recommended kit by TM for LX and EX. The standard quote from all the 3 dealers in Bangalore and Wasan in Mumbai was 18000. I could get it down to 14500. They have a cheaper model for the same combination of sensors + camera. But the quality/resolution of the camera is poorer. Its MRP is 12K I think.

Yes I see the response from the sensors and the camera at the same time on the LCD. Its pretty neat and clear, and i feel, so much better than the kit in the VX. Again, the VX does not have sensors.

The LCD is not connected to the HU. It is a much larger unit that is clipped on to the standard Rear View mirror. And the fit is sturdy.

The entire LCD screen, wiring, sensors and camera form part of the kit.

I am not too sure about the response to your query on the wiring.

I will try and post pics of the rear (for the layout of the sensors and the camera) and the LCD. But I will be able to do that only on sunday. Am on the road again from tomorrow. Reclaiming my life, what else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Nice. I can understand under 2K rpm but why 60 kph?
The second row is very comfortable BUT the middle seat is not the greatest as the base of the arm rest forms the backrest & is quite hard.
No, it's not just you - the Safari does lack space to keep small stuff - to my satisfaction.

I missed this part in your post. I agree with hrag. And i thought my running in period was taxing.

Man, let the beast loose a bit more. Significantly more....
Old 1st January 2009, 22:47   #63
BHPian

Update

1st service update –

Mileage: 1536 kms
Place: Autolinks, Rama Road
Total cost: 500 INR (that included a fuel additive worth 450/-)
Satisfaction level with service: 9/10

They did not agree to my request of complete change of engine oil and oil filter. But they topped it up and did all other toppings too. All checks were done, including brakes. The vehicle was washed and cleaned to a sparkling shine. The service advisor was extremely helpful.

Was driving back home after service when a biker rammed into the rear as I slowed down at a speed-breaker. Turned out he was driving too close. The rear left reflector lamp developed a slight crack and the rear bumper came off from the left. I immediately called up the workshop and made a u-turn. Got the bumper fixed but not the reflector as I decided to let it stay that way as a sign of good omen/bad omen (whatever they say). But my decision to get a rear guard got reconfirmed that day.

More update –

Two days later, I went on a drive with friends on the NH8 highway, up to Midway (Behror). Had lunch there and returned to Delhi. The drive experience was great. My friends assured me the rear seat comfort was excellent and they were not jostling for space either (they are 6 feet, big, burly guys). This was also the first time that I engaged the fifth gear for a much longer duration. I found the Safari to be truly an excellent highway cruiser, and a great handler even at high speeds. Also, for the first time, I noticed that the fifth gear is as strong as the first in terms of sudden pulling power. I cruised at 90 on the highway, and at times, gave a slight tap at the pedal and away it shot past other vehicles that seemed to be going faster.

A couple of days later, the truck got its external safety equipment. Tried first at a dealer nearby, but was not satisfied with the way they were trying to install the rear guard. The connecting plates had sharp edges and looked ugly. Moreover, they couldn’t figure out how to attach the right end of the guard to the vehicle as the connecting plate was either too short or too long (depending on where the nuts went). Finally, I had enough and asked them to stop. From there, I headed straight to Bimbra (the guys specializing in these things) even though it was a long way away. The rear guard was installed without fuss – they had one designed specially for the Safari. Also had a look at several front guards on display but they were too heavy. Their boy then took me down to their godown and it was choc-a-bloc with front and rear guards all over. I liked one that was light and went well with the color of the truck. Got it installed.

A new beginning - Safari 2.2 VTT-safari-being-washed-amended.jpg

Two days later saw the truck speeding down NH1 with two families on board (5 adults, 4 kids, 5 medium-to-big pieces of luggage) and a tankful of diesel. The truck behaved extremely responsibly with all its parts obeying manual inputs all the way up to Manali and back. Hill driving was done with ease, with the truck pulling fantastically at inclines with full load. Not once did I lose confidence in the vehicle, not even when I drove up the Hadimba road, famous for its narrow, curvy stretch all the way up to the Hadimba temple and beyond. During that drive, I had to once suddenly stop right in the middle of a sharp left turn at a 45-degree incline as a Sumo incorrectly made a turn down the middle of the road from the opposite end. I had a Omni tailing me closely and it was right behind me when I applied the brakes. Fortunately, he stopped in time too. I let the Sumo driver take a left and pass me by as it was easier for him to do it as he was coming downhill. With handbrake pulled up, I applied the first gear, increased speed and released the handbrake slowly. The truck seemed to slide back a bit but with a hard step on the pedal, it lunged forward after a split-second rear wheelspin.

All in all, it was a satisfying first hill trip in the Safari. The FE (for this trip) did not break any records but was a respectable 14.25 kpl, given that the truck was on full load all the time. I intend to post the travelogue soon in the appropriate section.

Next things to buy on the list –
- reverse camera with screen. I have gone through a good range available in the market, from a 6 inch screen to be placed on the dash costing 5500/- to full-blown night vision, infrared, waterproof camera with 7 inch screen, with four sensors, costing about 13k. (@jkdas: I am aware of your request but have been unable to find the one you mentioned. Everybody says it must be Chinese with no warranty the moment the product is taken out of the shop.) Nowadays, everybody uses the word Chinese to mean local as far as electronics go.

- full floor mat for the jump-seat area. I have been unable to find this one anywhere. Any suggestions or alternatives are welcome.

After the above two, or at least the first one, the only other additions for the time being would be the trips that I intend to take more often in the truck.
Old 1st January 2009, 23:22   #64
Senior - BHPian

I was driving behind a Cyprus Grey Safari 2.2 LX(KA reg) last weekend. It had its rear fogs connected to the brake lights which I think is quite useful.

Fuel additive? 450Rs ? What was that and how was it used?
About the carpet you can get coir ones for the length you want or the ones I have:P

TSK uses the chinese ones and he is happy.
Old 2nd January 2009, 02:22   #65
Senior - BHPian

hey KK
nice writeup, good that the truck is behaving well and you are cherishing every moment of it.

BTW what is your satisfaction level at autolinks Rama Road. Can you please tell me the name of the service advisor and their contact details as well, as though I bought my truck from Pawa motors its very far from my house and Rama Road is nearer. If you are satisfied I will go to them as well.

Also what part of delhi do you stay at? I am at patel nagar.
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:21   #66
Team-BHP Support

KK, what a coincidence, you got the exact same bimbra model I did!
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:49   #67
Senior - BHPian

great review kk. what did you do to the irresponsible biker? doesnt he deserve a whack?
i am not a big fan of rear guards personally but yes, they do serve their purpose well, especially in our driving conditions.
have fun.
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
great review kk. what did you do to the irresponsible biker? doesnt he deserve a whack?
i am not a big fan of rear guards personally but yes, they do serve their purpose well, especially in our driving conditions.
have fun.
Pix please. Is it the one that looks like a straight steel bar?

@ tsk: no issues with reverse screen right?
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:16   #69
Team-BHP Support

Nope, its working fine, however in extremely cold weather, sometimes there is a half second "blanking out", otherwise its 4000rs well spent(screen + camera)
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:33   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Fuel additive? 450Rs ? What was that and how was it used?
About the carpet you can get coir ones for the length you want or the ones I have:P
The additive is called Bardahl Special Duty. The engine oil topped up was CH4 15W40 Castrol GTX.

Good suggestion about using coir ones, though they may be a bit more difficult to clean. Which ones do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev
what is your satisfaction level at autolinks Rama Road. Can you please tell me the name of the service advisor and their contact details as well, as though I bought my truck from Pawa motors its very far from my house and Rama Road is nearer. If you are satisfied I will go to them as well.

Also what part of delhi do you stay at? I am at patel nagar.
I'm satisfied with the way the first service was handled and also the prompt willingness and attention to the fixing of the bumper after I made a u-turn the same day of the service after that rear-ending by the biker. The workshop parking was full of indicab taxis and so was the service bay. The customer lounge is nothing to write about, quite basic and your company would be the taxi drivers who have come for service as well, but it has cable TV and I watched a mix of cricket and movies while the Safari was being serviced. However, in the end, it was the personal attention, the service and the politeness of the staff that mattered. I'm PM'ing you the contact details of the service advisor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
what a coincidence, you got the exact same bimbra model I did!
Looks like I did. Saw yours and yours looks excellent with the color match and all. Fortunately, I got mine to look the way my truck does - half grey to go with the grey cladding and half silver to go with the body color.

Quote:
...its working fine, however in extremely cold weather, sometimes there is a half second "blanking out", otherwise its 4000rs well spent(screen + camera)
Are you sure it's a 7-inch screen? Can you tell me the name of the dealer/shop (with exact location) where you got it from? Would you know if the screen will also display a movie played on the Dvd player HU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004
He was riding away and I asked him to stop. After going through my damage, I gave him an earful. He was apologetic, admitted he was at fault and then showed me 'his' damage. His front wheel guard was disfigured beyond repair and there were scratches all over it. I let him go after I spoke to Autolinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Pix please. Is it the one that looks like a straight steel bar?
Yes. Here is the pic. But as I mentioned earlier, I'm finding it extremely difficult to figure out where to fix the camera as the bar more or less blocks the entire portion of the bumper where the camera is supposed to be fixed. Any suggestions? How will it look on the spare wheel cover?

A new beginning - Safari 2.2 VTT-pit-stop-after-swarghat-amended.jpg
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:44   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you sure it's a 7-inch screen? Can you tell me the name of the dealer/shop (with exact location) where you got it from? Would you know if the screen will also display a movie played on the Dvd player HU?
Yes, its a 7 inch screen, mounted on the rear view mirror. It will also play movies, it has 2 connections AV1 and AV2. However when movie is playing you won't be able to use RVM as screen is the RVM
You can always take it off and use normal IRVM and passengers can view movie
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:52   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The additive is called Bardahl Special Duty. The engine oil topped up was CH4 15W40 Castrol GTX.
Attachment 84381
Castrol GTX diesel is CI4, isn't it ?
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:53   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm PM'ing you the contact details of the service advisor.
Thanks. I have received the Pm and will be going there in a day or two.

Quote:
Any suggestions? How will it look on the spare wheel cover?
Try this. I dont know whether this placement will be above the rear guard or not, but I got mine fixed just below the numberplate and not on the removal panel.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tml#post749615
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:57   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, its a 7 inch screen, mounted on the rear view mirror. It will also play movies, it has 2 connections AV1 and AV2. However when movie is playing you won't be able to use RVM as screen is the RVM
You can always take it off and use normal IRVM and passengers can view movie
Excellent! Exactly what I wanted. Name of the dealer/shop? Location/directions? I might go there today or tomorrow.
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:24   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Castrol GTX diesel is CI4, isn't it ?
Well, the invoice says CH4.

Most Viewed