Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:51   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Yes. Here is the pic. But as I mentioned earlier, I'm finding it extremely difficult to figure out where to fix the camera as the bar more or less blocks the entire portion of the bumper where the camera is supposed to be fixed. Any suggestions? How will it look on the spare wheel cover?

Attachment 84381
the camera can be fixed in the centre of the number plate.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:03   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the camera can be fixed in the centre of the number plate.
Good idea. But, is that allowed? I mean, legally speaking, can you have a hole in the middle of the number plate?
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:09   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Good idea. But, is that allowed? I mean, legally speaking, can you have a hole in the middle of the number plate?
yes, you can do that, i have seen it in lots of cars, provided the alphabets and numbers on the plate and clear and legible, no cop should fine you.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 2nd January 2009 at 14:11.
Old 3rd January 2009, 20:53   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey KK,
Have a look at this, you can follow on similar lines. The truck had exactly the same bar at the rear as yours, was of the same color too!!! For a moment I thought it was you only, then noticed the alloys. I wonder if you have upgraded your wheels and it really was YOU.
Well if it wasn't you. Heres a pic, I have not blanked the number plate, just masked the number with 8s. Just to give an idea of how the numbers looked with the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
A new beginning - Safari 2.2 VTT-dsc00468-copy.jpg  

Old 4th January 2009, 09:23   #80

Hi guys, would like to introduce myself. My name is Kedar & have purchased my beast 15 days back in Pune. It has been three years since I used watch this awsome vehicle in tata showrooms. Am simply obsessed with it. Well I have bought Pearl white Ex model.
Old 4th January 2009, 10:40   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarJ View Post
Hi guys, would like to introduce myself. My name is Kedar & have purchased my beast 15 days back in Pune. It has been three years since I used watch this awsome vehicle in tata showrooms. Am simply obsessed with it. Well I have bought Pearl white Ex model.
Hey Kedar,

Congrats on the new buy! Please do start a new thread on your buying experience and initial days of ownership.

Happy motoring, mate!
Old 4th January 2009, 16:53   #82
BHPian

Rear-view camera + LCD screen

Rear-view camera + LCD screen installed on the Safari yesterday. Thanks tsk for pointing out where to look. Thanks raj_5004 for your brilliant idea and thanks Dry Ice for reconfirming that I got the camera fixed at the right spot. Had to do a lot of hit and trial with camera placed in hand and trying to see where it could be fixed on the number plate so that the rear guard does not block the vision. The guy marked the circle, but suddenly realized that the camera would be placed above that marking because there is a 2-inch base to the camera that when goes inside the plate & bumper would have a larger view and the view would be blocked again by the rear guard. All in all, satisfied that the equipment got fixed at the right spot.

It's a night-vision VGA camera, with 7-inch LCD (TFT screen) with touchscreen controls and a remote. Checked and rechecked if the image was clear on the screen before leaving shop. Also checked a VCD that played well on the screen.

The screen has a plastic film on it so the normal rear viewing is not so clear (may be if I pull the sheet off...). But the camera output is amazingly clear. It shouldn't take me more than a couple of days to get used to the distance between the rear of the vehicle and the obstacle, if any, depending on the size of the obstacle on the LCD screen.

Here's hoping things remain fine.

Some pics...

A new beginning - Safari 2.2 VTT-rearview-camera-amended.jpg

A new beginning - Safari 2.2 VTT-rearview-camera-closeup-amended.jpg

Output at night
A new beginning - Safari 2.2 VTT-camera-output-night-amended.jpg

Output during daytime
A new beginning - Safari 2.2 VTT-camera-output-during-day.jpg
Old 4th January 2009, 17:45   #83
Senior - BHPian

great install KK, the picture quality seems great. the only trade-off being you cant use the RVM while watching DVD, but safety-wise, you should not watch movies while driving!
how much did the setup cost you: monitor+camera+installation?
Old 4th January 2009, 18:01   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
great install KK, the picture quality seems great. the only trade-off being you cant use the RVM while watching DVD, but safety-wise, you should not watch movies while driving!
For the life of me, I wouldn't even remotely, even in my dreams, think of watching DVD when I'm driving. No way!

On a side note, the overall screen size is larger than the size where the visuals are shown. I mean, the actual screen space (7-inch) that comes alive falls in the centre of the overall screen. So, the sides, both left and right to this 'alive' space, are free for rear viewing.

Quote:
how much did the setup cost you: monitor+camera+installation?
4.9K (for all this, plus one cable to link up the video-out from HU to the LCD).

Last edited by kkdelhi : 4th January 2009 at 18:05.
Old 4th January 2009, 23:10   #85
Team-BHP Support

Is the screen bluetooth? If not, it should cost 4200, unless you got a different camera model. I think he gave me a cheaper rate because I got fog lamps from him fitted, and along with that I also promised him that I will come soon for HID
Old 5th January 2009, 22:46   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Is the screen bluetooth? If not, it should cost 4200, unless you got a different camera model. I think he gave me a cheaper rate because I got fog lamps from him fitted, and along with that I also promised him that I will come soon for HID
No, the screen is not bluetooth. He quoted a even higher price for that screen. And I don't see why camera models should be different.

@tsk: Can you PM me your contact number?
Old 5th January 2009, 23:31   #87
Team-BHP Support

1. Firstly, the camera is fitted at the wrong place. See the plate below the number plate, thats where the OEM camera goes, and thats where you should fix yours. Anyways. thats immaterial. I suspect you got overcharged by around 200-300rs.
I bought more stuff from him, thats why kit cost was 4200rs.
He had 3 cameras 850/1050/1850
I got the cheapest one, since it served my purpose.
anyways I have pm'd you my number

PS: I got the bull guard for 3700, what about you?
Old 6th January 2009, 00:26   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. Firstly, the camera is fitted at the wrong place. See the plate below the number plate, thats where the OEM camera goes, and thats where you should fix yours.
I think thats the de facto location for camera in a Safari. In case one wants to remove camera at any stage, simply buy a new plate.

I
Old 6th January 2009, 02:30   #89
BHPian

Since we are talking about various mods to Safari in this thread, can't help but ask this question eventhough it might be a little off topic. Please excuse.

Has any one tried replacing the jump seats in safari with a complete third row seat? If yes, then was there enough trunk space left for luggage, etc.?

Any insights into cost, location (where this is done), etc. would be of great help.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:10   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
I think thats the de facto location for camera in a Safari. In case one wants to remove camera at any stage, simply buy a new plate.

I
Yes, this is very true for rag pickers also, very easy to remove and there goes your camera along with the plate, plate costs Rs47 only.

Unless you clamp the plate on the main bumper using a hinge, its risky.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks