Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2008, 13:54   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai i10 Kappa (Nov-2008) : White Angel Comes Home !!!

I have been contemplating getting a second car since last few weeks for my wife and after some discussions with her, she was adamant on SwiftD and had also made up her mind on the color she wanted.

She is a newbie driver and drove my Viva a few times on open roads/grounds and felt that diesel engine does not stop in stop and go traffic and Swift's radical looks were the only 2 reasons for her deciding on a SwiftD.

However, since her drive to work would be approximately 10-12kms both ways i talked her out of a diesel vehicle and finally we shortlisted i10/Spark/A-Star.

I didnt recommend Spark as it was too small as i am a big guy and i may use the car sometimes so wanted it to be comfortable for us both. Also, the interiors of Spark very cramped but the engine was nice and peppy. Also, i didnt like the instrument cluster in the middle. IMO, it felt quite cheap ( almost like a Nano)

A-Star was only discussed, pictures reviewed and read in detail some reviews of A-Star test drives and i was completely against its looks. It looked to me like a re-hash of a few maruti vehicles. From the side angle, the rear window line is so high, i could almost feel it will be claustrophobic for people sitting in the backseat. So, it didn't take too much effort or debate before we chuck "A-star" out of the window.

Finally, it just took my wife a short test drive of an i10 for an instant decision, she fell in love with the car and felt it perfectly suits her personality.

She set her mind on the Sportz variant but, i felt it wasn't value for the additional money except for the rear headrests which is a good feature.

So, we decided to go for the Magna version and she was clear that she wanted no other color except white. As we have a Red Viva CRDi, obviously the choice of colors within i10 was less and i also thought white looked hot. I am already visualizing them with hot black alloys

After a lot of discussion on this subject here on tbhp, We decided to pick up a car which is Aug'08 manafactured model as surprisingly it seems that White i10 is not much in demand and there are currently 207 vehicles available in their chennai factory which are of the same period. So, after a thorough check and noticing that the odometer is displaying "only 28kms" when i took the delivery i negotiated with them for an extended year of warranty. So it was a genuine reason for this issue.

So the following items have been given free as part of my deal. Hope this information will help fellow tbhp'ians who have an i10 on their buy list :-

Dealer : Lakshmi Hyundai, Hyderabad
Car : Hyundai i10
Variant : 1.2 Kappa ( Manual) Magna
Color : White
Manafactured Month : Aug'08
Stock Tyres: Bridgestone
Delivery Date: November 27, 2008

Freebies List

1) 1st Year Free Insurance
2) Autocop Remote Locking
3) Pioneer HU and 4 Sony Speakers
4) Teflon Coating
5) Fabric Seating Upholstery ( Beautiful looking, they are ! )
6) Mud Flaps & Floor Mats
7) Fog Lamps ( It is available only in top end model-ASTA)
8) Art/Foam Leather Steering Cover
9) 2 Litres Petrol Coupon
10) Poppy Perfume Bottle
11) Ganesh Idol
12) 1 Year Extended Warranty
13) Anti-Rust

Does anyone think, i missed squeezing out more freebies from the dealer?

My entire experience of dealing and negotiating with them has been out of this world. People were falling all over themselves to provide service and it felt great to be treated that way. This happens to be my 3rd New Hyundai car and each time the service levels have been exemplary and i am proud to say that i am a loyal Hyundai fan.

I love the buying experience from them, their cars and most importantly their A.S.S is super-duper.

When i told Shalini ( Sales Exec) that i want the car ready at 6:00pm, she did something more than that. She calls me at 5:30pm and tells me its ready. So when we reach the showroom at 6:45pm it was nice, shiny and ready to be driven home.

Quickly complete the paper work and then they hand over the keys and a box of sweets from 'Almond House" to my wife and mom and after the mandatory pictures are taken and saying adieu to them, i started the car and slowly drove home where our family pujari was waiting to conduct pooja.

Pooja was completed in about 30 minutes and after that we had to attend a party so we drove to the venue and back and the distance of which was about 15kms and here are some very pre-liminary observations that i made about this car :-

Power : 80BHP for such a small car, nice, really nice. My cousin who test drove that at the party venue was zapped, he was like, its just taking off !! I can surely sympathize with him since he drives a Zen.

Interiors : There has been a lot said about the interiors and mine feedback won't be any different. It's simply wow and gives you a feeling of a much up-market car.

Steering: Felt well weighted and was a delight to turn. Need to see how it responds on high speeds

Gears: The gearing ratios aren't that great is my initial impression. At slow speeds it is struggling to take off but as soon as the 2K RPM is crossed, its a different animal, not like the Zipplus i had before. It rockets forward and is a pleasure to see such power coming out of this small package. Slotting the gears like all hyundai cars are a pleasure and is absolutely " Makkan"

Ride: This was slightly disappointing as the pot hole bumps were coming through. Maybe the pressure ain't right but, it was not as smooth as i thought it to be. But, not that bad it will be noticed by others. We tbhpian's are a bit more finnicy arent we?

Space: Lots and Lots of space and for me ( 6.1ft), i was pleasantly suprised and the seating position felt so differnt from my Viva, like i was sitting on a mountain and staring down at the ants..hehehe. Jokes apart, it felt nice to sit in the driving seat. Still have to try out the features like tilt steering and i dont even know where the heck is the button to switch on the fog lamps.

Handling: This is something that i cannot comment precisly as my drive was quite passive last night and did try a couple of fast corners and i didnt flinch ( which is a good sign). Will update more as we drive more

Build-quality: Top-Class, even if you dont try the classic-open & shut door routine, looking at the body itself gives a clear indication of the built quality. Very good, no rattles and a lovely nice thump when you close.

I noticed a peculiar thing last night. When i open the front door, the cabin light comes on.But,when the rear door is opened, it does not. What's the point of such pointless feature fails to go through my brain!

FE Hopes:
When we filled the tank last night, it took in 33.65Litres of Petrol which means the showroom guys keep the car near to empty. Grrr!

And, it was a shock to see the total amount paid for petrol we filled. Need to get used to petrol now since i was in the diesel comfort zone till now. Hoping it gives us atleast 12-13kmpl in city and 15+ on highway drives. That's all we ask

Thanks for reading up! And, here are a few pictures and sorry for the quality as took them in a bloody hurry.

Will keep updating this thread as time passes with more pictures and updates of our journey of using our WHITE ANGEL
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i10 Kappa (Nov-2008) : White Angel Comes Home !!!-dsc_4495.jpg  

Hyundai i10 Kappa (Nov-2008) : White Angel Comes Home !!!-dsc_4496.jpg  

Hyundai i10 Kappa (Nov-2008) : White Angel Comes Home !!!-dsc_4499.jpg  

Hyundai i10 Kappa (Nov-2008) : White Angel Comes Home !!!-dsc_4506.jpg  

Hyundai i10 Kappa (Nov-2008) : White Angel Comes Home !!!-dsc_4512.jpg  

Hyundai i10 Kappa (Nov-2008) : White Angel Comes Home !!!-dsc_4514.jpg  

Hyundai i10 Kappa (Nov-2008) : White Angel Comes Home !!!-dsc_4515.jpg  

Hyundai i10 Kappa (Nov-2008) : White Angel Comes Home !!!-dsc_4516.jpg  

Hyundai i10 Kappa (Nov-2008) : White Angel Comes Home !!!-dsc_4518.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2008, 13:59   #2
BHPian

Congratulations. May the angel give you and your wife years of fun and driving pleasure and serve you well.
Old 28th November 2008, 14:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

Congrats. White is definitely WoW !!

Ad please do let me know of your impression of the car while driving, especially the dashbord reflection problem that cars with beige interiors face.
Old 28th November 2008, 14:14   #4
BHPian

congrats on your purchase.have fun and drive safe.BTW WHAT is the OTR price for i10?
Old 28th November 2008, 14:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Congratulations. May the angel give you and your wife years of fun and driving pleasure and serve you well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Congrats. White is definitely WoW !!

Ad please do let me know of your impression of the car while driving, especially the dashbord reflection problem that cars with beige interiors face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
congrats on your purchase.have fun and drive safe.BTW WHAT is the OTR price for i10?
Thanks guys!

@Ankit, check your PM!
Old 28th November 2008, 14:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

avi, congrats buddy.....so we will see the white angel in the next meet?
Old 28th November 2008, 15:01   #7
BHPian

Congrats Avi on the new acquisition. Have fun and wishing you and family many many miles of happy motoring.

P.S.: You did seem to be in an awful hurry, the quality of the pics do say so. Now, get strapping this weekend and take some good ones to add to your gallery.
Old 28th November 2008, 15:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
i10 dash in not having any reflection on windscreen, as its not glossy as Honda gives in NHC. I am using it for last 8 months and no problem faced till date.
Old 28th November 2008, 15:08   #9
BHPian

Congrats on the new possession. I am eagerly waiting for my moment to arrive.

Happy driving...

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
Old 28th November 2008, 15:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey avi congrats on the new acquisition..errr wait actually congratulations to Mrs. Avi'.
Old 28th November 2008, 15:12   #11

Congratulations!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Does anyone think, i missed squeezing out more freebies from the dealer?...
..Except that you missed to take the car itself for free

Congratulations again. Am just waiting for a drive when you bring it to office.
Old 28th November 2008, 15:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

@Himanshu, sure will get it for the next meet.

@Suren, thanks dude. Yes, i was in a hurry to perform the pooja ( some auspicious moment, mom is bit of supersitious so atleast for such occasion have to follow her guidelines) and it was already 8:30pm by then and was in a hurry to go for that party

Btw, forgot to add, my mom loved the i10 more in terms of comfort of seating, interiors and ride compared to the Viva the seating of which she dislikes a lot

@Subbu, thanks

@Riju, thanks buddy. Wish you were here to take some magical pictures of our white angel in your typical style with black borders

@Eddy, missed your query. I have a Viva with beige interiors and i never faced any problems. I feel its too trivial a thing to be given so much of a thought.
Old 28th November 2008, 15:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

If it is not that big a problem, its good. I actually sat in a swift where the dash had been done up with Beige and windscreen reflection was a major problem.
Old 28th November 2008, 15:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mate!
White looks superb on i10 and i am a lover of its drive and interiors
Old 28th November 2008, 15:55   #15
BHPian

Congrts Avi. White looks really cool infact i somehow always liked Hyundai's white color whether it is in Santro or i10. Anyways great choice bro. Wishing you and your family all the best and a safe drive.

Most Viewed