Team-BHP - Purchased & Ownership Report – My new GYPSY 413W
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Purchased & Ownership Report – My new GYPSY 413W (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/50071-purchased-ownership-report-my-new-gypsy-413w.html)

After ten year of waiting with still dreams alive of owning a Gypsy I convinced my parents who where literally against Gypsy (or any Jeep), now I can say I am proud owner of a new Gypsy 413W Mpi (Soft Top).

Though I have driven many cars for past 16 years and little bit of mahindra jeep but haven’t driven Gypsy, but I knew pro’s and con’s about Gypsy. So there was no second thought about changing my mind though my dad literally told me to go for Grand Vitara.But I wanted Gypsy purely for offroading trips and wildlife photography.

All dealers in Bangalore were hesitating to book Gypsy though I was ready to pay advance amount immediately, got wayward answers and stories of gypsy waiting period for 6 months etc. I really felt from the dealer’s attitude that I am buying illegal drugs rather than Gypsy from them. I went to my hometown dealer and booked Gypsy, I was initially told 10 days for my Gypsy delivery from regional manager (Maruti South RM) who never knew about Gypsy production though he is south manager and he also told some idiotic stories to dealer which I will tell later. But my dealer was really good and assured me he will talk to higher authority and will let know exact date of delivery. After 10 days I got a call saying there is military production going on and date of delivery will be known after 5 months I was shocked but decided to wait whatever the waiting period.

I was browsing about Gypsy topic and luckily saw Team-BHP site forum and there was a thread about “sales analysis figures” which really helped me to analysis actual figure sales of Maruti MUV vehicles then I browsed maruti website and checked sales figures of MUV (Vitara & Gypsy) when I looked the figure for 2 months they manufactured 1600 MUV’S (Vitara & Gypsy), when I checked BHP thread “sales analysis figures” where it was told till August(not sure about month) only 100 Vitara as been sold till date. From the above figure analysis roughly around 1200-1400 Gypsy have manufactured, if I go by the answer from Regional Manager saying military production, mean to say military guys need 1000+ Gypsy hard to digest it. For a second I thought Army maybe needed 1000+ Gypsy but you cannot put sales figures of Gypsy’s sold to Army in the Maruti website right up to my knowledge or may be I am wrong can be discussed in this forum about this, then I emailed to directors and managers of Maruti Company about explaining sales figures, within 1 week I got a mail saying Gypsy has been dispatch from the plant.
After 10 days I got a call from dealer saying Gypsy is in showroom I was thrilled and overjoyed. Still I haven’t figured it out what are the reasons behinds delaying Gypsy only god knows.Whatever the issues/reasons but got my Gypsy in my hand that was most important thing for me.

Purchased & Ownership Report – My new GYPSY 413W-101_2424.jpg

Now my Gypsy Review:

I have driven almost 3k till now both semi-offroading and on highways.

Model: MG413W Mpi Soft Top

Exterior: Interior: Security:
ICAT security system (engine immobilizer) is provided.

Engine:
1.3 Swift MPFI engine retuned for Gypsy, Excellent engine with good overall performance. Still haven’t used fully power of engine.

Speed:
In highway I have driven 110km but driving 80-90km feels comfy.

Fuel Efficiency:
In Highway it gives me 13.5-14 Km/lt and in city around 9-10km/lt but no complaints.

Ride:
Front guys will enjoy but those sitting back will have to compromise a lot.

Tires:
MRF Estate Nylon grip but I changed to Yokohama AT.

Offroading:
Only who drives Gypsy will know what Gypsy can perform. You can ask more things but for 6lac you are getting 4WD vehicle which to me it’s worth it.

On road Price:
5.92 lac

Photos:
Other photos uploaded in “Gypsy Owner photos” thread.

Note:
Moderator if I have posted in wrong section please changed it to appropriate section.

Congratulations!
The FE is really impressive. I think that the G series is a good engine and Gypsy is having a bad image about FE.
Have you tried off-roading yet ? Any tyre upgrade plan ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 1080008)
Congratulations!
The FE is really impressive. I think that the G series is a good engine and Gypsy is having a bad image about FE.
Have you tried off-roading yet ? Any tyre upgrade plan ?

Even I was surprised to see FE, if Maruti advertise it properly definitely there will be many Gypsy buyers.
I have done off-roading and worth driving it. Already changed my tyres from 205/70/15 to 215/75/15 Yokohama tyres.

Why are dealers not willing to sell gypsy.?

maybe they have very little margin on it.

One more experience I have is that out of vast service network, very few maruti service station is able to service its drivetrain with ease.

Congrats @Sha for the new Gypsy. Please post some more pics. A new is on my cards too once I return to India and then I might PM you for details.

Awesome , learnt to drive on this car[older gen] , in the wild , great fun.
Congrats and have a blast man .
Always wondered how the vitara handles off-road?

congrats sha!!! cheers:
good to see that people are still buying our good old gypsy.
pics and a detailed report awaited. drive safe mate!

@Sha: Congrats buddy on your new 1.3L 413W Mpfi. I own one and can safely say that you will enjoy every moment with it.

Do join us for the next OTR that we do around bangalore. you will come to know what the Gypsy can do.

I suggest that you also join the Suzuki_Gypsy_India yahoo group so that yo come to know of the OTR and also get in touch with more Gypsy owners.

Also, in the 4x4 section of T-BHP you will get lots of info about off-roading.

Cheers,

Congrats on your NEW Gypsy man. Umm, so day by day, I see the 4x4s increasing for the Bangy OTR. Interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 1080025)
Why are dealers not willing to sell gypsy.?

maybe they have very little margin on it.

One more experience I have is that out of vast service network, very few maruti service station is able to service its drivetrain with ease.

I heard the margin is around 5-10% on ex-showroom price but i am not sure. so probably they are getting around 30k to 50k per vehicle, no free accessories is given for gypsy. About service, only gypsy owners can tell how good maruti service centre for gypsy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 1080035)
Congrats @Sha for the new Gypsy. Please post some more pics. A new is on my cards too once I return to India and then I might PM you for details.

thanks mate. yeah you can PM me when you are purchasing it, the rumors i heard is they are going to stop gypsy production by 2009 but i am hearing this for many years. untill military is using I do not think gypsy is going to stop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khan_sultan (Post 1080199)
@Sha: Congrats buddy on your new 1.3L 413W Mpfi. I own one and can safely say that you will enjoy every moment with it.

Do join us for the next OTR that we do around bangalore. you will come to know what the Gypsy can do.

I suggest that you also join the Suzuki_Gypsy_India yahoo group so that yo come to know of the OTR and also get in touch with more Gypsy owners.

Also, in the 4x4 section of T-BHP you will get lots of info about off-roading.

Cheers,

Thanks Khan bhai, no doubt i am enjoying my gypsy.
I bought Gypsy to be driven on OTR, definately will join and meet other gypsy owner.
the thread about '4x4 stores' in bangalore is worth information for me, will meet you guys and discuss what are the things to be bought i have rough idea but still need to be discussed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha (Post 1080017)
Even I was surprised to see FE, if Maruti advertise it properly definitely there will be many Gypsy buyers.
I have done off-roading and worth driving it. Already changed my tyres from 205/70/15 to 215/75/15 Yokohama tyres.

The tyre difference is too much (more than 5%).
You are risking the brake of your vehicle. Also checkout for speedo and Odo difference
Stock Tire - 205/70R15 Tire 1 - 215/75R15
Section Width: 8.07 in 205 mm
Section Width: 8.46 in 215 mm

Rim Diameter: 15 in 381 mm
Rim Diameter: 15 in 381 mm

Rim Width Range: 5.5 - 7.5 in
Rim Width Range: 5.5 - 7.5 in

Overall Diameter: 26.29 in 667.76 mm
Overall Diameter: 27.69 in 703.32 mm

Sidewall Height: 5.64 in 143.25 mm
Sidewall Height: 6.34 in 161.03 mm

Radius: 13.14 in 333.75 mm
Radius: 13.84 in 351.53 mm

Circumference: 82.59 in 2097.7 mm
Circumference: 86.99 in 2209.5 mm

Revs per Mile: 791.1
Revs per Mile: 751.1

Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h
Speedometer1: 56.9 mph 94.9 km/h

Speedometer Difference: - Speedometer Difference: 5.325% too slow
Diameter Difference: - Diameter Difference: 5.06%

Congrats Sha. I never knew that the Gypsy was still being sold and there are people buying it still.

Impressed by the mileage reported. I knew a few people having old gypsies and they reported mileage around 5-6 kmpl. A change in engine seems to have done a world of change.

Please do take some off-road trips and post your experiences. Eagerly waiting for that.

Congrats on your new Gypsy Sha. The fact that You were willing to wait for 5 months says how important this was to you. Amazing!!! Dont know if I would have the patience to wait that long.

Any other mods planned?

Congratulations on buying the finest new 4x4 available today. The Gypsy is a rock star of an off-roader!! What's better is, we have pros like Khan_Sultan & Headers on board, whose posts will only help you mod her to the max offroad potential. The best part of the Gypsy is that you get Jap build quality in a basic 4x4. Translated : None of the niggles that we Mahindra guys have to live with on a daily basis.

Really...fantastic choice. It is not everyday that one sees an ownership review of a new Gypsy. Your post had me glued. I am left wondering if your thread is going to be the start of a phenomenon (just like the MM540 / CJ craze of recent times).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha (Post 1079911)
luckily saw Team-BHP site forum and there was a thread about “sales analysis figures” which really helped me to analysis actual figure sales of Maruti MUV vehicles

Quote:

I emailed to directors and managers of Maruti Company about explaining sales figures, within 1 week I got a mail saying Gypsy has been dispatch from the plant.
clap: I'd say this is absolute determination. Keep her well.

Out of curiousity, what were the colour options that you were offered? If at all.