Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 11:43   #1
tez
BHPian

getz crdi hmm... no fiat..naaah... hmm swift vdi?now? OK...

hi all,
Finally i have booked a Swift Vdi, silver. The search for the car was a long one starting of with the fuel to go for. As i have daily office drive of 30kms and weekend trips, diesel was the option to go for. We started off with 4 options. They were
Ford Ikon tdci
getz crdi
fiat palio MJD and Vista QJD.
Note that swift was not in the option list owing to its waiting time and hence i did not bother about it.Finally after all the test drives( atleast 2-3 times for each car), i had finalized on getz crdi and fiat MJD(heart v/s pocket).
Vista is a good vehicle but somehow i did not find the drive exciting.
Ford A.S.S has improved as suggested by various tbhpians but still could not convince family members on the same and dropped ford out of the list.
Getz with gem of an engine and Palio with sturdy built and good engine were the final two. I had a problem while seating and exiting Palio with steering wheel hitting the knees (this is with seat pulled back). Also i found the pedal area slightly cramped for my comfort. Decided to have a TD again and check if this was a problem i could adjust with or not.
However here comes the twist.
A sales guy from Sai had arrived in my apartment for a test drive for some other guys. While having a chat with him, he suggested driving swift Vdi and i agreed. i thought lets drive the swift just for sake of driving it. I loved the car (after getz obviously!) and with 4% drop, price suited my pocket also. Dealer guy mentioned a 1.5 months waiting for colors other than white. Got in touch with some contacts and asked for an early delivery. I was assured of one and my decision shifted from 90% getz crdi to 100% swift vdi. A.S.S of maruti and resale being one of the decisive factors other than Vitamin M. I decided to go ahead with the booking. I will be taking the delivery next week sometime on monday. Already printed off the Pre delivery checklist. I am planning to go there and have a look at the car before paying the amount and sending the car for registration.
Thanks to all the bhpians who advised me on which car to buy (finally i bought something which was not an option though )
Planned accessories and tyre upgrade are
Tyres - 185/70 R14 - found out by reading various posts on forum. Brands would be either michelin xm1 or yoko A300. Will roam around on weekends for figuring out the best deal.
ICE - Pio 4090UB or something similar..
Speakers - JBL components front door, JBL coaxials rear door. No parcel tray 6x9. Gurus kindly advice on the model numbers and if the setup is correct in case i plan to add the amp later. I had gone to ICE section and returned thoroughly confused.
Also kindly advice if it is ok to fit the autocop from outside. The dealer guys said something about warranty void etc.. They are offering Nippon one for 6.5K.
Any other advise is welcome. Please forgive for the long post.

Last edited by tez : 11th December 2008 at 11:45.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:07   #2
BHPian

Tyres you can still go one leverl higher. 195/60/R15. Will look really nice. Select good alloys.

Go for Nippon. it is good. will be hassle free with maruti.

Check out blaupunkt or kenwood with bluetooth connectivity. will really come in handy if you have to answer your phones
Old 11th December 2008, 12:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats tez on finalizing Swift VDI. As shyam suggested, if handling is a top priority for you then go for 195/60-15 or else stick to 14 inchers.
There wont be any issue with the warranty if you get an autocop fitted outside.
Are you going for VDI with ABS or without? and what is the onroad price?
Old 11th December 2008, 13:32   #4
tez
BHPian

thanks djay and Shyam. I think i will stick to 14 inchers for time being. Want a more comfort oriented ride as i would not be the only one in the car.
@djay : Its VDI non ABS. ABS kits are in short supply is what was told by dealer and he said he could not get be a ABS one in next couple of months. On road is 5.5 pune.
@shyam - Heard that the disturbance is too much in bluetooth usage especially with the mic. Is it so?
Old 11th December 2008, 13:35   #5
BHPian

Congrats for the new ride!! .....play safe
Old 11th December 2008, 14:35   #6
BHPian

congratz dude!

enjoy the turbo!
iam surprised that you found the swift space wise better than palio.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:58   #7
tez
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
congratz dude!

enjoy the turbo!
iam surprised that you found the swift space wise better than palio.
thanks shantyrocks. I never found swift space wise better than palio. Its just that getting in and out of car was not so much of a problem in case of swift. Also tata's attitude towards fiat cars made this decision easier.
Old 11th December 2008, 15:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase

Tyres - Try upsizing to 15". Would be really good
ICE - Pio 3050Ub if you wish to run a 4 channel and run a sub and components for it. Else 5050/ 6050 if you want the 4 channel to run the speakers and components and a monoblock to run the sub.
Speakers - JBL components front door ( JBL GTO 608c- Pretty Good) , JBL coaxials rear door ( JBL 937 - not sure about their placement in the rear door)

Nippon is good enough . Try not to get it from outside if they mention about warranty void.

All the best for your purchase!
Old 17th December 2008, 13:28   #9
tez
BHPian

@Mods: Can you please update the heading to swift delivered.
finally, the swifty has arrived. Went with the checklist and followed it till the end.thanks to all the tbhpians for the advice. The car had run 25 kms.
Planning to get the tyres changed today before it clocks more kilometers. I am going for Michelin XM1+ energy series for 185/70 R14.
ICE, sunfilms will have to wait for the weekend.
Now for the dealer and buying experience.
The dealer experience was good. The sales person was patient enough to listen to all the queries and answer them. i would recommend him if anybody goes to Sai Service, Deccan, Pune.There was no freebies given by the dealer. Not even mudflaps and rubber mat. I had to even purchase those.
Will keep updating about the ICE and other accessories being planned.
btw is there a car named Silver Frost on the forum. If not, then i am reserving this name for my swifty. Else will have to think of another name.

Last edited by tez : 17th December 2008 at 13:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks