Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:27   #16
BHPian

Congrats on you new purchase Yatin. Forget about Petrol and Mileage now for sometime and enjoy the car. These things can be worried upon after 2nd service
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:52   #17
BHPian

Congratulations

Many congratulations.

Enjoy the ride quality and the feel of the big car when on the road.

Always remember that you are driving a big sedan this will in turn help you in forgetting about the turning radius
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:03   #18
BHPian

Thanks!

@phamilyman, @lightpower, @Bubby:
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Congrats. It seems you are just now checking up the same features for which I reminded you tot ake thew SLX - ORVM, boot - now soon rear wipper/defogger too
I can pay up now for the left ORVM; I had not realized its utility earlier on this car, as I have never used it while driving, say the Indica. The boot thing: until now, I did not realize that this is what you referred to as "boot fabric insert"! I can live with the cosmetic effect , but have to be careful about what I put in the boot; I hate the idea of paying any sort of premium in lieu of properly covering such spaces in the first place.
Old 26th December 2008, 14:57   #19
BHPian

[MODS] update title? Also, minor update and audio install

Mods, could you update the title of this thread now that its "delivered"? Thanks.

Its been a week since my car was delivered, and I have driven it purely in the city so far. Driving it is becoming easier day by day, but the constant watch for hoodlum 2/3-wheelers overtaking on the left means it is never a relaxed drive. An extra 40 bhp would have helped in thwarting any kind of overtaking, as well as reduced gear shifts. I am looking forward to a short highway run within the next 2-3 weeks, atleast to drive in a more relaxed manner.

Fuel efficiency, going crudely by the reserve warning light, seems to be <= 12kmpl. I will wait until after the 1st service to measure it properly.

On the accessories front, I did not do much, but Tata/Concorde did - they had got the SD/USB/aux/FM+2-front-speaker system promised to me and installed it. It is a pure Tata-branded unit (cannot confirm if it is Clarion as it was said to be), but the speakers are unmarked. The audio quality is much better than I expected - although highs are not as sharp as my brother's Pioneer-JBL set-up, overall audio output is clear and the speakers do not crackle even at the unit's max volume. Its loud enough for rear seat occupants to hear, so I don't think rear speakers are required ATM.
Old 4th January 2009, 20:07   #20
BHPian

short highway run observations

A couple of days back, I managed to do 200kms on the Bangalore-Tumkur route. It was not much fun, as I got a free stretch of only around 60km, and spent the rest negotiating traffic streaming out of and into Bangalore

- I have not yet been able to find a good driving position for longish/long drives.
I ended up with an acutely aching neck after the 5+ hour drive. Does anyone
know if those seat beads help with the driving position? No such complaints
from the passengers (3 of 'em), except when I went overboard with my belief
in the suspension and did 60kmph over uneven patches on the road .
- The suspension is overall fine especially at speeds. I think the audible tyre
noise heightens the perception of the harsher ride quality at low speeds that
everyone keeps talking about. The seats complement the suspension, so that
even low-speed harshness does not discomfit passengers.

- I forgot initially that the engine was not run-in yet, and happily went to
100kmph in 5th; quite quickly, I realized it and pulled back. It looks like it will
be a good cruiser.
- The engine, agreeing that it is quite new, shows its limitations with a full tank
of fuel and an additional 200kg due to passengers. 4th gear is possible only
after 45kmph, and 5th only after 60kmph.
- I was mostly on a highway with dividers, so I did not have to account for
oncoming traffic while overtaking.
- The journey involved about 30-40kms of reasonable inclines
(not as much as ghat sections). It pulled through in 2nd itself; not bad.

- A/C effectiveness also ended up being tested, and rear seat passengers
weren't satisfied until the blower was at its maximum and loudest setting.
You can't put up with its racket for long, but it works.
Old 25th January 2009, 21:15   #21
BHPian

1st service at Green Tracks + 1st damage + F.E estimate

I am finding as many reasons as possible to take out the car, and crossed 1000kms in the 5th week of ownership. Since a 700km trip is coming up next week, and the 1st service is supposed to be before 2 months and/or between 1000-1500kms, I got the 1st service done on Saturday. In between, i had a deflated front right tyre without a puncture - it is supposed to be because of being parked in the sun for too long.

I did not want to go to Concorde - if they can smudge grease on the seats on delivery, I did not want to let them do anything else. Based on T-BHP reports, I decided to try Green Tracks (Hosur Road). I called in the morning and set up things for around 2 PM. I generally knew their location and did not have trouble getting there. It is even easier to locate now, as a Mahindra showroom next to it is very visible.

Their work area is quite well-maintained and manned, and it was a very organized place. I talked to Mr.Prasad and Mr.Babu - the former seemed to be floor-in-charge and the latter was a service advisor. I mentioned the dashboard vibes and the squeaks from the boot (seems de rigeur for the Palio); also, the stereo had shut shop on the way there. They had a spacious waiting area with a big glass area to look at the cars under work. Apart from a mild stench from an open flowing drain nearby, there were no complaints . Mr.Prasad did a good job of marketing their various services.

They estimated 2 hours for the job, and they took 2.5 hours, which was fine.
- The car was delivered well-cleaned and vacuumed inside, but there was too much wax visible on surfaces for my liking.
- Mr.Babu claimed the dashboard was tightened, but some amount of vibration is still there. I suppose they tried their best ...
- They had fixed a loose contact in the HU
- They had forgotten about the squeaks from the boot; while attempting to fix it (it seemed to be the rear bench not being properly in place) the technician banged the door against a metal clamp on the wall - thankfully nothing happened. Maybe the technician was in a hurry to get going ... I should take back the car sooner to avoid such things.

They recommended against an oil change so soon, and nothing else was needed; so the final bill was just INR 57. I was happy with both the servicing, as well as the organized and confident way in which they go about their job.

Now the bad part of my car's recent history ... I was involved in an unfortunate minor accident Sunday morning; nobody much harmed but mild body damage welcomed the car to the realities of Indian driving conditions while I was going from the main railway station towards Malleshwaram (Central Talkies).

The narrow road I was taking joins a main road forming an inverted 'Y', and there is a railway track above just after the 'Y' junction. Some scooter guy with his companion had parked near the right edge of the road, but still on the road; he was behind a lamp post that I had to skirt to get to the main road. He had stopped there to avoid receiving heavenly offerings from the track above

I was on the right to avoid interfering with the main road traffic. He had no brake light on, nor indicators, and I had to brake suddenly and swerve slightly to the left (main road) to get past him. Some female Scooty rider was trying to overtake me on the left at the same time and lost control. She rubbed against the left of the car, braked and fell down. Not much traffic, so there wasn't much danger, and she walked off to the side. Her vehicle was fine too. The few people around started berating the scooter guy, but he was unrepentant. I has to let him go after describing visions of him being hit by some truck driver who wasn't as interested as me in not hitting him front-on.

So, one thoughtless guy caused a luckless Palio lover and a hapless Scooty rider lotsa trouble. She didn't seem to have suffered any injuries at all, and was on her way soon. But my Palio has a foot-long scratch-cum-dent on the top of the left rear door, apart from a minor scratch above the left side indicator. I really feel I should have just hit the scooter guy and his companion front-on, and accepted the bumper damage for the satisfaction of teaching him a lesson ...

F.E estimate ... I have put in 95 litres so far, and it has run 1200 kms with maybe 10 litres still left. That works out to 14 kmpl+, and should only get better. I have had < 300 kms on open roads, so that's not bad at all for a car of this mileage.
Old 26th January 2009, 00:19   #22
BHPian

do the run-in of this 1.1 panda engine upto 5K kms... it will serve you well...

at green tracks ask for stabilization bar to be installed at the front.. it makes a world of difference while cornering
Old 26th January 2009, 00:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey ,
Sorry to miss out the thread before.
Congrats on the ride.
What about the pics.

Is the 1.1 block on the palio enough to power it good in the city or does it require you to give it the extra kick.
Old 26th January 2009, 15:03   #24
BHPian

@sanjaymugur:
Holding back till 5K kms is not hard at all, or even after 5K for that matter .
About the stabilizing bar, I wouldn't bother given this car's "need for speed" (or lack thereof); anyway, it remains to be seen if it would void the warranty.

@abhinav.gupta88:
Thanks!
Pics are difficult as I can't keep the car clean enough for long enough to take 'em!
About city driving ... it is acceptably driveable in 3rd (definitely) and 4th gear (others may disagree). It is definitely slow in getting to 25-30kmph. A lot of Santro's and Indicab's pass me easily at slow speeds. WagonR's generally can't seem to do it. It takes decent timely driving by others to pass it on the highway; as, once it gets past 70kmph, it can get up to 100 kmph and keep it up there.
Old 26th January 2009, 17:46   #25
BHPian

@yatin: Well written service experience. Your highway experience almost makes me trade in my M800 for a Stile.

Please post pics, IMHO the Palio looks the best in Magnesium Grey.
Old 26th January 2009, 20:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your ride mate! A very well balanced and unbiased review that you have written here. Enjoy your ride and have many more happy miles with the car. I know it hurts to have a scratch on your new car but its "welcome to B'lore traffic" like you said!
Old 26th January 2009, 22:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post
@sanjaymugur:
About the stabilizing bar, I wouldn't bother given this car's "need for speed" (or lack thereof); anyway, it remains to be seen if it would void the warranty.
@yatin, stabilization bar is not just about tight cornering, it also helps when you go on bad roads when one of the tyres is in pot hole & other is not, it helps in coming out of potholes in a better way, if u have patience to search, i have posted my experience( in one the threads) of my car with & without stabilization bar in my drive to sakelspur ghats, when there was no road at all...

FYI,adding stabilization bar does not void warranty , it comes in as a standard for both multijet & 1.6 stile...
Old 27th January 2009, 00:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Fiat cost cutting is very irritating at times.

I have never understood why the Stile 1.1 owners do not need the stabiliser bar (in Fiat's opinion). I can't imagine why the 1.1 owners should be left out of any part of a generally very competent suspension.

Ditto for the boot hatch inner panel for SL/SD/SLE/SDE owners.

@Yatin: Get that stabiliser bar fixed. And get your tyres upgraded, that's the only upgrade I have been planning for and not getting around to doing, thanks to lack of Vitamin M.

Your usage seems to be fairly limited, I wonder why you didn't opt for the 1.6? Properly driven, it should give around 10-11 in the city. You would have not missed any of these features and it would have been a hoot to drive that one.

From what I have heard, the 1.1 is sluggish only in drag mode, but a fairly competent highway cruiser. A competently driven Palio 1.2 or even a Xeta 1.2 seems to give my MJD a worthy fight on the highway, as I have seen from personal experience. It is only after 100-110 that they sort of give up.
Old 27th January 2009, 11:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaymugur View Post
at green tracks ask for stabilization bar to be installed at the front.. it makes a world of difference while cornering
How much does it cost? And is it available on 1.2 Sport by default? I know it is available at rear but never heard of it being installed at front.
Old 27th January 2009, 11:47   #30
BHPian

Is the stabilizing bar same as a strut bar?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks