Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2008, 13:16   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Dude, thats a diesel. What is the point in comparing highway mileages of diesels and petrols??
I wasn't comparing diesel vs petrol mileage. I was talking about the way FE should be measured i.e. tank full to tank full.
Old 17th December 2008, 13:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
guys
We have had Autocar come out with 31+ KMPL with Fiesta petrol isint it?.
It was a Diesel Fiesta, not a Petrol one. 31+ KMPL on a petrol fiesta would have prompted them to try and enter the car in the Cola book of records
Old 17th December 2008, 13:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Jasher - first of all estimating the fuel consumed based on "full tank" to "full tank" is wrong.

The reason is that if we go to two different pumps for a "tank full" - it is observed that each pump will cut-off at different tank level.
Second, even at same pump - if you go twice - the tank full readings at two different instances will not be that same.
Alpha1,

Full tank does not mean auto-cut off. Full tank is when you manually stop the filler when you see the petrol near the tank's mouth. And this is the best option for checking KMPL.

Quote:
...Infact a more sure shot (but not very accurate) way of determining the fuel consumption is by checking what your tank needle indicates...
You are joking right? The needle indicator! Please, do not give this advice. There is no way (absolutely no way) that you can rely on the indicator for checking mileage.

Quote:
...My advice : do the trip again. And please don't rely on "auto full tank cut off" for measuring how much fuel is consumed by the engine.
Use the tank level needle to get a ballpark figure.
That would suffice.
Would agree with you on the request to re-do the trip. But not for the 'tank needle' method. With that method we might even get 40kmpl!

And, from where did 'auto cut off' come here? Jasher has said time and again that it was done tank full to tank full aka manual filling. Isn't it?
Old 17th December 2008, 14:25   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Alpha1,

Full tank does not mean auto-cut off. Full tank is when you manually stop the filler when you see the petrol near the tank's mouth. And this is the best option for checking KMPL.

You are joking right? The needle indicator! Please, do not give this advice. There is no way (absolutely no way) that you can rely on the indicator for checking mileage.

Would agree with you on the request to re-do the trip. But not for the 'tank needle' method. With that method we might even get 40kmpl!

And, from where did 'auto cut off' come here? Jasher has said time and again that it was done tank full to tank full aka manual filling. Isn't it?
absolutely right, thank you
Old 17th December 2008, 15:02   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alpha1,

In manual fill also few more liters of fuel almost always goes after letting teh bubble out / shaking the vehicle etc. depending on how much air is trapped in side.
Old 17th December 2008, 15:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Alpha1,

I don't know about the tech in the petrol, but in the Diesel, when you fill it all the way upto the brim and drive, something goes wrong with the sensors and the fuel level does not go down until it decides to reset itself, I drove from Mumbai-Pune and back and the fuel indicator did not come down at all, after that I drove back to lonavla and came back to mumbai and it had gone to 1 notch down, I then got a mileage of 900km/40 litres (400-500 kms highways and the rest in Mumbai), but the fuel level not showing was not a good sign, as I figured how much fuel i had left only after it reached the half mark.

Filling up fuel till that level also makes some of it spill out from the overflow and you pay for that wasted fuel, always fill it to auto cut-off, If you need to check mileage, do it from the same pump with auto cut-off so that you get the same size nozzle and measure at the same temperature.
Old 17th December 2008, 16:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In manual fill also few more liters of fuel almost always goes after letting teh bubble out / shaking the vehicle etc. depending on how much air is trapped in side.
True; hence the basic requirement that one needs to fill in the same way it was filled before; meaning, if you had shaken the skin out of the car when filling, do the same, else if you have just let the petrol settle itself for few second and then refilled, after making sure no more air bubbles are coming, then this. So basically, one needs to repeat the same exercise when doing the check.

But the auto cut off will not work, even if done at the same bunk. The primary reason I say is because the machinsm looks at the flow back of the fumes and cuts the flow. Hence, sometime it will do at different position, which will have certainly a difference. One might have noticed that sometime the auto cut off, goes off even though when you start again it might fill in 30+ liters of fuel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
...Filling up fuel till that level also makes some of it spill out from the overflow and you pay for that wasted fuel, always fill it to auto cut-off, If you need to check mileage, do it from the same pump with auto cut-off so that you get the same size nozzle and measure at the same temperature.
Do not fill to the brim or let if overflow. One does not start the pump and go off. You are supposed to stand and monitor. Usually you will have the pump attendant holding a torch (the battery operated one!). And you usually fill to just below the small nozzle you might see in the tank or atleast 10cm below the brim (provided you have a long enough neck in the tank); but never to the brim. Never said for and a might waste of the fuel!
Old 17th December 2008, 16:37   #53
BHPian

Why is everyone arguing ... As long as he can test it a couple of times and verify his readings we should be good ... 30KMPL seems ridiculous ...so if it returns 25 odd kmpl within the city ... A lot of us would shut up ...

So pl. buddy we are all ears ... let us know .... or dont you take the car anywhere other than the expressway - if so do it soon and clear the air ...
Old 17th December 2008, 16:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

I have mentioned this many times here that our Maruti WagonR has done 32kmpl before during the Maruti Miledge challenge and we were not the tops. the run included 40% highway and 60% city(ahmedabad city area is really congested) and we were driving at 40-60 kmph. And yes lest someone asks- its a petrol. LOL

why cant his Fabia get something like this. Probably coz it aint japanese? :P

please do not nitpick on the FE figures and the city-highway readings coz it was looong time back.

Skoda infact is still a newer tech car. AND if many dont remember they had recalled or done something to petrol cars to cope with our petrol.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 17th December 2008 at 16:49.
Old 17th December 2008, 17:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I have mentioned this many times here that our Maruti WagonR has done 32kmpl before during the Maruti Miledge challenge and we were not the tops. the run included 40% highway and 60% city(ahmedabad city area is really congested) and we were driving at 40-60 kmph. And yes lest someone asks- its a petrol.
  • WagonR is much much lighter than Fabia.
  • It was driven to extract maximum FE. Not Fabia.
  • The speeds were done 120-130 as opposed to 40-60.
  • Normally mileage challenge means light loads + slow speeds + less traffic + usually short distance to extrapolate result better. None applies for this Fabia run.
Fabia may return something like 22-23 in those mileage runs, but certainly not on such highway pleasure run.

If this FE is repeatable, that settles the matter.
Old 17th December 2008, 17:14   #56
BHPian

I totally believe jasher. I guess this car will find place in the Skoda (or VW) meuseum. Poora Paiisa wasool!
Old 17th December 2008, 17:25   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
- The li'l 1.2 liter would be spinning @ atleast 2,500 rpms at a speed of 130 kph. Even at 110 kph, it is spinning at well over 2,200 rpms. Translated, the car was operating outside of its most fuel-efficient zone.
- Remember, the fuel burn rate @ 110 is much greater in proportion than cruising at say....80 kph....primarily because of wind forces. Thus, you weren't driving the Fabia at optimum speed either
Dear GTO, the RPM would be touching 2500 @ 85km/hr and would easily go above 3000 if the pedal is kept above 100km/hr. This, I think is due to the 'HTP' factor of 1.2 engines. During highway trip I feel inclined to keep to 80km/hr during highway rides. My car (1.2 Ambiente) had an ECU update 2 weeks back and I went on a short highway trip last weekend. This time, i felt like the car was more eager to get floored well past the 80km/hr mark

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 17th December 2008 at 17:26.
Old 17th December 2008, 18:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

well, a Fabia 1.2 petrol, driven @ 100+ returns a mileage of 30kmpl! You should try push the car to 150 and see if the mileage improves. The car might be sipping petrol on a per second basis and the faster you push, the better you mileage you get

Dude, you should either convince your friend to check for an error in calculation or request him to go for an entry in Limca Book of Records.

I know Skoda sales are dipping to all time lows, so when people pop up to tell fantasy stories here, it makes me wonder.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 17th December 2008 at 18:09.
Old 19th December 2008, 22:03   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasher26 View Post
its quite evident you do not like the Fabia, no offence.
Actually, I do like the Fabia for its quality and feeling of robustness. What I hate is the pricing & lousy engine range, especially for the petrols. The Fabia is now (officially) the WORST selling hatch in India (look up the sales performance thread). Therefore, I have reason to believe that my judgement seems to be in line with market reality.

Quote:
The only way to silence you Fabia haters is for me to do a trip again and update the mileage.
And if you come back with a claim of 30 kpl again (or God forbid...over that number), none of us are going to buy that too. Lets do this : I am scheduled to check out a Lonavla plot in the near future. We do a trip together and mind you, no hypermiling trip this one is going to be. I'll get one of my cars along. We will cruise at 110 - 130 with atleast 4 passengers onboard. If the magic Fabia gives a 30 kpl, I buy you guys lunch at Sunnys. If it is a more realistic figure, then you buy me a Sunnys lunch. Cool?

Quote:
There is definitely some technology Skoda has got right with their engines which the Honda (Civic especially) and other manufacturers have not
Absolutely. Thing is, we call a spade a spade. Look around the forum for several reviews on the Civics relatively low city FE (partly also due to the low torque engine). However, don't forget that the NHC & the OHC were FE champions for the segment, especially the former. As much as I like the ANHC, I don't think it is a fitting replacement for the immensely practical NHC. The ANHC appeals to the heart while the NHC was all grey matter stuff.

Quote:
Second point - which GTO missed in his analysis is that climbing the expresway to lonavla is no child's play - unless you were trudging at 10-20 kmph.
No way are you going to get 30 kmpl. Damn, I can't get 30 kmpl on that stretch (not exactly - but the old highway) even on my Enfield.
Another point which we missed out on : @ 2,500 kms, this is a brand new engine!! It has barely completed its running in period. Translated : the magic Fabia is not yet in the optimum performance band which comes prolly after 25,000 - 30,000 kms of running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
would easily go above 3000 if the pedal is kept above 100km/hr. This, I think is due to the 'HTP' factor of 1.2 engines.
If you are telling me that as a Fabia owner, I believe it. Am incredibly curious to know how a 1.2 engine will give an unbeatable 30 kpl when it is over-working @ 3000 rpms to move, what is, a pretty heavy hatch! That is like double of the optimum FE rpm range!!

I am sorry to say this, but the purpose of this thread definitely has more to it than meets the eye.
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:31   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Actually, I do like the Fabia for its quality and feeling of robustness. What I hate is the pricing & lousy engine range, especially for the petrols. The Fabia is now (officially) the WORST selling hatch in India (look up the sales performance thread). Therefore, I have reason to believe that my judgement seems to be in line with market reality.
---
I am sorry to say this, but the purpose of this thread definitely has more to it than meets the eye.
yes more that meets the eye and I am the Sales and Marketing head at Skoda, haha , no offense
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks