Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 15:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See you have done a major technical blunder here. An F1 car cannot be driven on our highways so we will never know how much mileage it will give in those conditions. Whereas i have considered a Bolero a much better specimen for Indian highway and road conditions. So your theory is all wrong
Why do you think they are called theories and not facts. hehe

Anyway, i would love to see what this Fabia can do. Iv got 21kmpl from my VTEC but then again, at low rpms when the non vtec lobes are activated, it actually behaves like a smaller engine.

Shan2nu
Old 13th March 2009, 17:18   #77
BHPian

30 kmpl is juist not possible on a Fabia, maybe possible under extremely controlled conditions, but never on normal roads, no matter how good the road or the driver is.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:30   #78
Senior - BHPian

Spitfire's argument may have some logic.
But where I feel he is going wrong is taking engine cc into account.

It has to be the bhp. And not the peak bhp - but the actual bhp at the actual RPM where it is being driven.
That would indicate the amount of fuel being burnt.
Then you would need a factor of efficiency, and a factor for final drive ratio, which will give you how much distance the vehicle would travel keeping a certain RPM, and driving in a certain gear.
Old 13th March 2009, 19:24   #79
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Lets form a hypothesis:

I dont have a Fabia. But i do have a Bolero from which i get 15-16 kmpl with a 2.5 litre Diesel engine on highways.

2.5/2 == 1.25

The Fabia has a 1.2 engine.

15 x 2 == 30 kmpl. Since we are taking .5 litre less we can accomadate the difference in calorific values of diesel and petrol

To the folks talking about weight, by Bolero unladen == Fabia laden. Actually lighter but then lets give it to the Fabia.

So as per the theory above a mileage of 30 kmpl is actually possible with a Fabia. To all those not agreeing buy a Bolero
With that logic, a 796cc Alto ought to give 45 - 48 kpl on the highway. Somehow, I haven't seen that happening!

C'mon spitfire, there is a lot more to fuel efficiency than just the engine size. Plus, remember that diesels are inherently more efficient.
Old 13th March 2009, 22:03   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Is that synthetic oil? Synthetic oils cost about 800 bucks a litre.
yes it is synthetic oil.
Old 13th March 2009, 22:22   #81
BHPian

look we know we have achieved the mileage and we are convinced as after that trip (after top up when we got the mileage) when he did the top up again he got a mileage of 11 in city ,which he used to get earlier. This proves that there were no air bubbles.

I think you guys need to read up on the engine on the internet instead of just self analysis. No offense.

You cannot compare these engine to Jap cars especially Suzuki. The cars were just made lighter. 70% of the reason for a good mileage in a maruti is because of car and engine weight. There is nothing spectacular about the refinement or science of the engine.

I know Skodas are expensive to maintain and average service network but lets do some research and give them their due.

Waiting to do the trip again anyways.
Old 14th March 2009, 00:21   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
With that logic, a 796cc Alto ought to give 45 - 48 kpl on the highway. Somehow, I haven't seen that happening!

C'mon spitfire, there is a lot more to fuel efficiency than just the engine size. Plus, remember that diesels are inherently more efficient.
GTO You are right, if this is the logic then Nano will give 60 KMPL, why do we need hero hondas and bajaj anymore?
Old 14th March 2009, 00:34   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you guys need to read up on the engine on the internet instead of just self analysis. No offense.
If this engine is so good, why is it that your friend gets only 11kmpl in city and 30kmpl on the highway? If an engine is FE, it should show similar results under varying conditions.

Why r the figures so inconsistant?

Moreover, can you provide any article on this engine, which explains how it manages to be so FE?

Shan2nu
Old 14th March 2009, 00:50   #84

Posted orignaly on 13th Feb, posting it again in refrence to 30 kmpl average of Fabia 1.2 petrol. Hope it helps;

After driving Fabia 1.2 for about 1800 kms in 4 months, I got mileage of 14.7 kms/ltr on highway on 250 km trip to Karjat recently. This includes lots of bad farm road in Karjat and part city driving in Mumbai. Must say the ride and handling of the Fabia is much superior to my last owned maruti Swift.Petrol fabia does not feel underpowered on Highway and it disgiuses the 3 cylinder engine very well.
Also, I discovered something new. Apparantely there is a "button' to release the locked vapors of fuel near the entry of the fuel hose. The green button is very small and can be easily missed. The amount of fuel that can be pumped in after the first autoshut off of nozzle is about 11.5 litres (verified twice). I am suprised that i and all the pump attentdants had overlooked this till now.
Other petrol Fabia owners, please do post the mileage figures.
Old 14th March 2009, 01:33   #85
BHPian

It's a miscalculation for sure, no offense dude. If it was diesel Fabia there are possibilities. But for petrol it's impossible.
Old 14th March 2009, 12:44   #86
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am closing this thread until we have hard-core proof of the super-Fabia. We do NOT entertain misleading discussions on Team-BHP.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed