Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2008, 12:23   #1
Team-BHP Support

Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report

Okie, so there's nothing major here, just a facelift, and a new engine which has been transplanted from the Fiesta. All these may not amount to much to make it worth talking about, but has set the cat among the pigeons is the PRICING of the TDCi variant. Coming a whole lot less than that of the Swift family, of similar trim levels, this offers you a sedan for a price lower than that of a hatch.

Here are some pics which i had taken :

Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-img_3293.jpg

Unfortunately, the dealer isnt offerring test drives as yet, and so i cannot really comment about how it drives, but going by feedback from some other members on the forum, it sure does feel sprightly to drive, and definitely not underpowered.

Interiors : This carries on from where the previous version left, and save for a changed speedo console with a digital meter, there isnt much different.

Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-img_3299.jpg

Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-img_3302.jpg

Sppedo display from the petrol version

Noise : Within the confines of a showroom, and just hearing the engine being fired when cold, it led me to fel that it indeed is an oil-burner. I didnt have the chance to sit inside the car with the windows rolled up, and bonnet down, so will not comment about sound intrusion into the cabin. Shall leave it to the others to comment. Both Condor (who had accompanied me) and myself have given it the benefit of doubt here.

Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-img_3305.jpg

Exteriors : I prefer the looks of the NXT series anyday! The facelift is fine, and one warms upto it, but definitely given a choice, my answer is obvious. The doors appear quite bland without the door strips, and IMO they should be purchased as an accessory, and body color would be good.
Condor and myself were trying to figure out if the door strips from the Fiesta would be a good choice here.

Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-img_3291.jpg

Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-img_3292.jpg

Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-img_3297.jpg

Besides the front, there's not much of a change. The tail lamps have been given a clear lens treatment, but nothing so much to draw acclaim.

Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-img_3296.jpg

The dealer is not providing any test drives as yet, since they have just one TDCi, which has been kept for display. Certainly not helping their cause, if you ask me!!

Thats it from me, expect the others to fill in what i have left.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-copy-img_3298.jpg  

Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-img_3306.jpg  

Old 9th November 2008, 12:36   #2
BHPian

Hi, Which dealer you visited? Lathangi Motors offering test drive, got a call from them yesterday for test drive
Old 9th November 2008, 12:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

OK, here's my observation. This is in a nutshell in comparision with flair.

Interiors: Same as present flair. Only change is Biege colour of seats and door trims.
I/P cluster: Same as flair colour twin colour.
Odo: Added a newly digital odo against ford's old analytical.
Engine compartment: Fits correct to the compartment.
Exteriors: Same as flair.Only change is in Front Headlamp assy and tail lights assy. the FR grill is missing. Bumper is new design.
Boot space: same as flair.
Door: Closes with a slight thud.

I did not start the engine hence I cannot comment on the same. But I feel it should be same as Fiesta or what Ben has said.

Last edited by snaronikar : 9th November 2008 at 12:51.
Old 9th November 2008, 15:57   #4

Need to choose between Palio MJD and Ikon TDCi

I have a budget of around 6 - 6.5 L (OTR). I am looking for a diesel car. My options were Palio MJD, Vista QJD and the Swift DDis. Swift is out of the equation due to the insane waiting period. I already own a Indica, so did not want to go for the QJD. Finally was left with Palio MJD. But with the launch Ikon TDCi, i am in a dilemma in choosing between MJD and Ikon. I am looking for a car with relatively easy maintenance with good driving experience.
Old 9th November 2008, 17:56   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Hi, Which dealer you visited? Lathangi Motors offering test drive, got a call from them yesterday for test drive
Rajesh, were you finally able to go ahead with the Test drive of the diesel? The dealer i am referring to is indeed Lathangi Ford. Condor who has been literally after them for a TD still hasnt been able to get one.
Old 9th November 2008, 18:25   #6
Team-BHP Support

Guys, how good or bad is Fords exchange policy ? Will they offer a decent price if I exchange my 04 Ikon with the new diesel one ?
Old 9th November 2008, 19:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Benny!
Nice review.
Whats it with u and Mystic violet Ikons!
Old 9th November 2008, 19:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice review.
The pricing has proved that Ikon was finding it tough to fight against Swift DDiS and Logan and Indigo.
But though the car represents great value, I think that it will be difficult to fight with Swift DDiS even with low pricing.
Swift DDiS is on a modern chassis and what I think is that ABS and airbags are not available. This is too much to omit in modern era. If Fiesta is available with these, why not Ikon ? May be it will then be closer to Fiesta, but this is not at all pardonable from Ford.
Also IMO, this car will have performance close to that of Fiesta which is not good for Fiesta. Its a different thing if 1.6 diesel manages to reach India in Fiesta quickly.
Too old but good value is all what I can say.
Old 9th November 2008, 19:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

isnt the suspension a bit high? is that normal? my cousin's ikon wasnt so high.
Old 9th November 2008, 20:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Whats it with u and Mystic violet Ikons!
No idea kp! Pure coincidence, i must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
isnt the suspension a bit high? is that normal? my cousin's ikon wasnt so high.
I felt the same as well. I think it may appear a little lower once the wheel wells have the plastic cover and the mudflaps fixed.

Just for a comparo, here's a pic of my car and the display car from a similar angle.

Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-img_1281-copy.jpg

Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-copy-img_3297.jpg
Old 9th November 2008, 20:27   #11
TOR
BHPian

The rear half wheel arch is such an eye sore-seems Ford has 'cut corners' literally!
Old 9th November 2008, 20:32   #12
Team-BHP Support

TOR, looks like you missed what i had written above. To quote:

Quote:
I think it may appear a little lower once the wheel wells have the plastic cover and the mudflaps fixed.
In bone stock form, thats how the car looks like.
Old 9th November 2008, 20:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I felt the same as well. I think it may appear a little lower once the wheel wells have the plastic cover and the mudflaps fixed.
Get the underbody tar coating and mud flaps. Both cars rear wheel wells will look similar.
The front suspension could be higher to take the heavy diesel engine.
Old 9th November 2008, 20:55   #14
TOR
BHPian

I was directing at the rear wheel arch-the absence of half of the rear part and not the height of the arch-this picture brings it out the best

One can see the ground behind through the rear wheel arch-or will this also be covered by the mudflap?
Old 9th November 2008, 20:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

LOL ! TOR, thats exactly what i meant as well. Once the wheelwell cover is fixed, it wouldnt look like that!

Most Viewed