Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2008, 09:24   #1
BHPian

Any Peugeot owners - please share experience

Hey, Just want to know about ride quality of peugeot cars. Heard that the suspension of these cars are different from others.

Can anyone please comment on this....
Old 19th December 2008, 11:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Hey, Just want to know about ride quality of peugeot cars. Heard that the suspension of these cars are different from others.

Can anyone please comment on this....
Yes I have travelled in Peugeot 306, The ride quality is very good. Don't know as how different is the suspension of this car with others.
It also had a very good mileage ( around 19kmpl of diesel) + fantastic engine ( TUD5) + superb torque. But sadly it didn't have power steering & came with outdated looks
Old 19th December 2008, 11:39   #3
BHPian

Are you by any chance referring to the hydro pneumatic suspension in Citroen cars ? They are from the same group i.e Peugeot & Citroen but it is only the cars from Citroen that typically come with such suspension.

I have heard that they are quite good and you are literally cushioned over all surfaces,but maintenance is a problem
Old 19th December 2008, 13:37   #4
BHPian

I have used a first generation Citroen Xsara with pneumatic suspension. The oddity (beauty?) of the car was, it had adjustable suspension (three settings as far as I can remember) and once you switch off the car, it comes down on the suspension and gets back its height once you switch on. The ride was excellent but the repairing of the suspension used to cost a bomb!
Old 19th December 2008, 16:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Yes I have travelled in Peugeot 306, The ride quality is very good. Don't know as how different is the suspension of this car with others.
It also had a very good mileage ( around 19kmpl of diesel) + fantastic engine ( TUD5) + superb torque. But sadly it didn't have power steering & came with outdated looks

Peugeot 309 or 306. About the 309 in India. Fantastic ride and handling. Better than what most modern Japanese sedans achieve today. Peugeot was the fourth biggest damper maker in Europe when the 309 was introduced in India. 309 has some special rear suspension that is quite space saving and was used in most of the cars of Peugeot range. I have diagram in Auto India, one of my 500+ magazines. Drive was conducted by Horomazad Sorabjee who is now heading ACI. Was very informative article. There is also mention of adjustable headlights.

With slightly updated rubber, the 309 can teach present cars how to get compromise between ride and handling. As the speeds got higher, the handling became more fun. The rear suspension also played a bit of role here.

IIRC, any peugeot engine that had " T " in engine code, one can bolt on a turbo charger. TUD5 was one of those units. The best unit at that time and aslo very big selling motor.
Under the looks were better platform than both Cielo( 1980 Vectra ) and Esteem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Are you by any chance referring to the hydro pneumatic suspension in Citroen cars ? They are from the same group i.e Peugeot & Citroen but it is only the cars from Citroen that typically come with such suspension.

I have heard that they are quite good and you are literally cushioned over all surfaces,but maintenance is a problem
HydroPneumatic suspension was never offered in India by Peugeot. If I am not wrong then the lower end cars like C1/107 from PSA dont have the hydro-pneumatic suspension. Higher end Citroen have them.
The ride quality is sometimes also called " magic carpet " ride quality.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2008, 19:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nevertouchme, a member and a good friend of mine has a Peugeot 309 (Diesel) which is in pristine shape even today, he could provide some inputs here.
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Peugeot 309 or 306.
My Bad, I was referring to Peugeot 309
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
HydroPneumatic suspension was never offered in India by Peugeot. If I am not wrong then the lower end cars like C1/107 from PSA dont have the hydro-pneumatic suspension. Higher end Citroen have them.
The ride quality is sometimes also called " magic carpet " ride quality.
Well,thats what I said , didn't I.

Why the C1, even C5 comes with steel springs in some variants ....
Old 8th February 2009, 18:28   #9
BHPian

I have been an owner of a 309 as well as a 405. Both my cars were imported ones and the 309 had a different engine than what came in India. In fact, both my cars had the XUD9 engine, which is a 1.9L 65bhp (309) and 1.9L 71bhp (405). This engine was copied by TATA for their Sierra / Sumo / Estate / Safari range and therefore all parts were easily available. So were mechanics to repair them, as any TATA mechanic could handle them. Another trivia is that the TATA Indica engine is actually a copy of the Peugeot TUD5 and therefore, most parts for the TUD5 are interchangeable with the Indica.
Regarding ride and handling, I am yet to come across anything even remotely suited to our roads. Both cars have fantastic ride and lion like grip! Rough roads, speedbreakers, sand, mud, etc pose no problem. I have driven both cars on dry lake beds, sandy areas etc. Another positive point is the ground clearance as well as a clean and flat underbody with absolutely nothing sticking out, including suspension parts and exhaust components. Couple that with a 16 gauge thick steel engine and sump guard and you have an indestructible car.
The total suspension set-up in both cars use only 4 rubber bushes in all, all of which is only in the front suspension. The rear does not have any rubber parts or spring. It is a trailing link torsion bar suspension, which is zero maintenance and long lasting as hell. The front and rear suspension travel is also very long, enabling the car to go over highly undulating surfaces without losing traction.
All in all, its a pity that PAL messed up with Peugeot and the latter pulled out. If that was not the case, the Ambassador would have long disappeared from our taxi fleet and you would only see 309s. A testimony to the popularity of the 309 would be evident for those who visit Coimbatore city and thereabouts. The 309 is still a favorite long haul taxi, criss-crossing the roads of the city as well as the highways in Tamilnadu.
sasi405 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2009, 18:34   #10
BHPian

Could you give my your 309 friend's contact? Would love to get in touch with him.. Thanks..
Old 9th February 2009, 11:43   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Another positive point is the ground clearance as well as a clean and flat underbody with absolutely nothing sticking out, including suspension parts and exhaust components.
That's the first thing I noticed, way back in '95, when I visited Bombay Cycle & Motors at the time of the 309 launch.

My neighbour was a senior member of the PAL-Peugeot management. One fine sunday morning, he took us for a spin in a company imported (MH registered) black 309 GTI with about 140 horses on tap! At that time, 140 BHP made the car feel like a sports car on our roads (remember that the only other "performance" sedan was the 65 BHP Esteem)!! It looked just like the regular 309, except for its lowered suspension, alloy wheels & 4 fog lamps on the front bumper (IIRC) and better interior trim level. Unsuspecting boy racers in their Zens / Esteems had to, unexpectedly, eat our dust. That was really a heck of a drive...my first in a quick car on Indian roads.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2009, 12:02   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
he took us for a spin in a company imported (MH registered) black 309 GTI with about 140 horses on tap! At that time, 140 BHP made the car feel like a sports car on our roads .
My first car was a 309 SRI - 120 bhp - 1.6 - GTI was bored out to 1.9. It is the best handling tactile car I have ever owned and it was bullet proof. Never let me down except for a dud spark plug
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2009, 14:33   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yup Ajmat, the GTI's handling left an impression on me. And the sound of the engine - at full throttle - was to die for. Not the smoothest, but she had character. I'm sure that particular car is lying around in some corner, someplace in Maharashtra, gathering dust.
Old 9th February 2009, 19:55   #14
BHPian

I owned a Peugeot 406 2.0 for a few years in the UK. It was an extremely under-rated car. They have a phobia about large french saloons in the UK (come to think of it, almost all over europe, save for France, ofcourse), I never found out why. My car was very fast, comfortable and the mpg was good considering the engine made 140 odd bhp. The 406 used to glide over the rough (relative to Europe, not India) motorways and A roads much better than similar european saloons. Diesel versions of the 406 are still in service as minicabs & hackneys in some british cities. Their reliability and fuel efficiency are legendary.
Old 10th February 2009, 21:41   #15
BHPian

Personally i like Peugeot 309, and will admire it overall. Its was a far better car compare to the attic goods available that time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks