Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 08:03   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
but i will tell you one thing jetta is 10 times safer than any other car. just watch SAFE happens ad for vw jetta on Youtube. you will know.
According to the IIHS, in a 40 mph offset front impact, the Civic is safer than the Jetta: IIHS-HLDI: Small cars - Current Models
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
According to the IIHS, in a 40 mph offset front impact, the Civic is safer than the Jetta: IIHS-HLDI: Small cars - Current Models

IIHS is not the best. Figure out this : Chevrolet Aveo in IIHS scores high rating, but the same car in Euro NCAP scores just 2/5.
Euro NCAP is one of the best crash testing institution. SX4 got 4/5 in Euro NCAP, but in IIHS, SX4 got the highest possible rating.
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
i am just mentioned its safe. personally i think german cars have high standards of build quality which leads to better safety.

also civic doesnt gives you side airbags and curtain airbags. so there you go i rest my case.
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:35   #19
BHPian

I would say that VW are overpricing the Jetta in the name of German engineering. 1.6L 100 bhp is at par with cars that are a segment below.
Sure its a very nicely built car, but 15 lakh is stretching it a bit.
Go for it if you don't mind the power deficit over the Japanese rivals.
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i am just mentioned its safe. personally i think german cars have high standards of build quality which leads to better safety.

also civic doesnt gives you side airbags and curtain airbags. so there you go i rest my case.
You might want to check out the thread GTO started about build quality.
Old 24th December 2008, 08:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
IIHS is not the best. Figure out this : Chevrolet Aveo in IIHS scores high rating, but the same car in Euro NCAP scores just 2/5.
Euro NCAP is one of the best crash testing institution. SX4 got 4/5 in Euro NCAP, but in IIHS, SX4 got the highest possible rating.
If we agree that EuroNCAP is one of the best, based on no evidence, then is it safe to say that IIHS is also one of the best?

You are mistaken, sir. The Aveo did not get 2/5 stars from the EuroNCAP and it also did not get the high rating (best pick rating) from the IIHS. As you can see from the following links, the Aveo received 1.5/5 stars (the second star was struck through) and is currently in second to last place in the IIHS category. Also, the SX4 did not get the highest possible rating from the IIHS:

Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Chevrolet Aveo
IIHS-HLDI: Minicars - Current Models
IIHS-HLDI: Small cars - Current Models

Regarding comparing IIHS vs. EuroNCAP scores, it is unwise to do so, IMHO. Why? Because they have different scoring systems. EuroNCAP has a star system while the IIHS has a GAMP system (Good, Acceptable, etc.) Yes, their testing methods are similar. But they are not identical.
Yes, the cars tested are the same models but they are not identical due to manufacturing tolerances and other reasons.

It may be better to compare the scores of two cars within the same organization using the same scoring system. Also, comparing two cars of similar weight and category is preferable.

Quote:
i am just mentioned its safe.
No, sir. You said the Jetta is "TEN times safer than ANY other car." Is it wise to make such a sweeping statement supported by a Youtube, paid, TV advertisement instead of presenting credible scientific explanation and evidence?

Last edited by Dose : 24th December 2008 at 08:57.
Old 24th December 2008, 09:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If we agree that EuroNCAP is one of the best, based on no evidence, then is it safe to say that IIHS is also one of the best?

You are mistaken, sir. The Aveo did not get 2/5 stars from the EuroNCAP and it also did not get the high rating (best pick rating) from the IIHS. As you can see from the following links, the Aveo received 1.5/5 stars (the second star was struck through) and is currently in second to last place in the IIHS category. Also, the SX4 did not get the highest possible rating from the IIHS:

Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Chevrolet Aveo
IIHS-HLDI: Minicars - Current Models
IIHS-HLDI: Small cars - Current Models

No, sir. You said the Jetta is "TEN times safer than ANY other car." Is it wise to make such a sweeping statement supported by a Youtube, paid, TV advertisement instead of presenting credible scientific explanation and evidence?
I think that here, Jetta has a better structure than Civic, as per EuroNCAP and that is what I prefer. Because the rating method differs. And its here that EuroNCAP is more precise as compared to IIHS.

Regarding Aveo and SX4, well SX4 does get Good rating from IIHS for front crash protection. SX4 gets 4/5 from EuroNCAP.
SX4, Matrix score Good on IIHS tests, PT Cruiser... not so much - Autoblog

I am not against IIHS, neither Civic, but Jetta also seems to be better built as compared to Civic.
Old 24th December 2008, 11:11   #23
Team-BHP Support

Man, those interiors are a serious let-down, if you ask me. Add to it, other features which are available at a higher price.

Doesnt the Corolla Altis feature on your list? Check it out as well along with the Civic.
Old 24th December 2008, 23:00   #24
BHPian

I can think of far better ways to spend 14 lakhs than on a petrol Jetta. A diesel is still an understandable buy, but you'd have to be nuts to buy the petrol Jetta. It offers below-average performance, gulps down fuel by the gallon and will offer poor resale (ask anyone who had a competent diesel sibling. Starting with the Octavia). In many ways, the petrol Jetta reminds me of the erstwhile Opel Astra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karizma Fan View Post
I came to know that the car is equipped with tilt steering and I immediately checked it out
All cars from the segment do. In fact, most steerings are adjustable for reach as well as rake.

Quote:
The acceleration was much better than other 1.6 litre cars in the market.
Which other 1.6 liter cars did you pit it against? All the ones that I can think of will leave the Jetta for dead. Except maybe the 1.5 Accent, Logan or Indigo.

Quote:
the writer mentioned that you can be safer while over-taking in the Civic because of the better engine capacity, but I guess I would feel safer in the Jetta because of the better stability.
The Civic & the Altis will have already overtaken the truck and be back in their own lane. The same time at which the Jetta is still on the opposite side of the road trying to overtake but feeling safer.

Quote:
You need to get your Honda cars serviced for every 5000kms, but VW cars needs servicing only every 15000kms and that tells you a lot about the Jetta.'
10,000 kms. No car should be serviced at over that limit in Indian conditions.

Quote:
I will trade some of my earthly desires for a German car with better technology and safety for the same pricing.
What better technology? The Civics engine & transmission is a light year ahead of that in the Jetta (not the diesel DSG).

Quote:
The numbers for the acceleration from 0-100kmph are 12.2 secs for the 1.6L Petrol and 11.9 secs for the 1.9L TDI. So you see, the 1.6L Petrol performs a little better than the 1.9L TDI.
Ummm, by your numbers, isn't the diesel the better performer?

Last edited by GTO - Touring : 24th December 2008 at 23:09.
Old 24th December 2008, 23:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
I can think of far better ways to spend 14 lakhs than on a petrol Jetta. A diesel is still an understandable buy, but you'd have to be nuts to buy the petrol Jetta. It offers below-average performance, gulps down fuel by the gallon and will offer poor resale (ask anyone who had a competent diesel sibling. Starting with the Octavia). In many ways, the petrol Jetta reminds me of the erstwhile Opel Astra.
all i can say is- only the owner of an opel astra knows its worth. yes, its performance is nothing to speak about, it is damn expensive to maintain and it guzzles fuel like water. but show me another japanese/korean car which has the luxury feel or build quality or ride quality of the german opel. we have a 2001 opel astra club (which we bought in exchange of a 1996 astra!) and the car is giving lots of problems. but we still have not sold it. it is something which appeals to the heart rather than the head.

something i found interesting in case of the jetta:

the diesel jetta 'comfortline' variant costing 18.93 lakhs on-road in mumbai has 8 airbags whereas the passat costing 25-27 lakhs has only 6 airbags!
Old 24th December 2008, 23:34   #26
BHPian

Raj, the Opel Astra didn't exactly have a competent diesel, did it? As I stated earlier, the diesel Jetta is still an understandable buy. And the retail difference will be more than made up for at the time of resale. Remember, 2 year old Octavia 2.0's selling for 4.5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
yes, its performance is nothing to speak about, it is damn expensive to maintain and it guzzles fuel like water. but show me another japanese/korean car which has the luxury feel or build quality or ride quality of the german opel. we have a 2001 opel astra club (which we bought in exchange of a 1996 astra!) and the car is giving lots of problems. but we still have not sold it. it is something which appeals to the heart rather than the head.
Hey, to each his own man. I myself own a Jeep that has its share of niggles & inconveniences. But I'm lovin' it!
Old 24th December 2008, 23:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

@ GTO: i thought you were commenting on the astra petrol.
definetely to each his own buddy, i put aside my part of the story, thats it.
no issues.
Old 25th December 2008, 01:23   #28
BHPian

i agree with GTO you have to be nuts to buy jetta at 14 lacs for 1.6 petrol. and also about 10 times safe than civic comment. i may have been way ahead of what i meant and what i wrote sorry for that.

see the prob is that there are these extra safety features the side airbags and curtain airbags which are atleast offered in jetta!. this obviously increases the costs.
you end up paying more for well more safety! atleast you would agree on this?

i also think that paying 17-18 lacs for the diesel rather than 14 lacks for under powered petrol. makes sense.

its a beautiful car i think! if i was in the market for one i would buy it with my heart. head will say buy carolla or civic.
Old 25th December 2008, 20:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

GTO,

While we are at performance figures and technology and looks etc, what ultimately matters is the "feel" of the car when you drive.

The safe cocooned feeling inside the cabin, completely oblivious of the high speeds that you are doing, fine ride and handling balance, attention to small details, is what differentiates one car from other. And, these factors can't exactly be quantified like FE/features/acceleration. Whether one likes them or not, German cars are real good at giving that feel. Many people fall for that feel than caring about rest of the statistics. Well, I don't have to tell that to you since you drive one yourself.
Old 25th December 2008, 20:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
we have a 2001 opel astra club (which we bought in exchange of a 1996 astra!) and the car is giving lots of problems. but we still have not sold it. it is something which appeals to the heart rather than the head.
Just one question for you Raj, what is the resale value of your car and how easy is the spare parts availability?? Just for comparison a Jap car (let's say the OHC for instance) will get you at least twice the resale (or more) of the Astra and the parts are available off the shelf not to mention the reliability factor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks