Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2009, 15:29   #46
BHPian

No wonder, it was not there in the list of available alloys, which global guys gave me...

And vinaydas, the ground clearance of laura is 164mm, more than enough i feel! Laura ambient also does not come with xenons, and i read somewhere on briskoda that aftermarket xenons are not recomended for laura, it might create problems.

Last edited by nikhilv12 : 11th January 2009 at 15:31.
Old 11th January 2009, 23:46   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Killer ride Artfrozen.. and Laura owners tell me whats the ground clearance of the Laura and art hows it fairing on the horrible Kerala Roads..and giving your Laura eyelids makes it look even sexier!
does the ambient come with xenons if not how much extra for only the xenon to be fitted.
I did a 1700 KM roundtrip covering Kerala,Karnataka and Goa roads.I never had an issue with the ground clearence.17" causes you to drive a bit more carefully on bad roads though .

Xenons from Skoda would cost a bomb.The only additions that am planning is a the exhaust tip (offered free by skoda) and Petes box as soon as I complete 10000 km. But I am yet to drive a Laura with the box,so dont know whether it will solve my throttle response worries.
Old 12th January 2009, 20:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

oh then its a raised suspension for the Indian market 140 mm is given on the international website.
And ambient doesn't come with xenon's right..?
Old 12th January 2009, 22:00   #49
BHPian

yes, all skodas in India come with a bad road package. and yes, Laura ambient dosent come with xenons.
Old 13th January 2009, 00:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
Xenons from Skoda would cost a bomb.The only additions that am planning is a the exhaust tip (offered free by skoda) and Petes box as soon as I complete 10000 km. But I am yet to drive a Laura with the box,so dont know whether it will solve my throttle response worries.
Deffinately your car will be breathing a new life once you get a remap or tuning box. Your best bet would be to get a remap from pete's much much better then tuning box. I too was contemplating between remap and tuning box for my fabia tdi but after doing some google and speaking to few who got tuning box went in for a remap just when my car had completed 4000kms. It felt completely like a new car once I got it done. Have driven about 15k kms after that no worries at all. And with remap on laura, it just flies, endless amount of torque. Plus, with tuning box one gets more amount black smoke on skoda for some strange reason.
So, if you plan to get, get a remap you won't regret it.

Last edited by Invinsible : 13th January 2009 at 00:47.
Old 13th January 2009, 08:17   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

tuning box is meant for cars without remap option? a 3rd option is some-kinda throttle enhancer, suggested by InsaneDevil, in laura tech thread. search for it. (i'm on mobile)
Old 13th January 2009, 09:52   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Deffinately your car will be breathing a new life once you get a remap or tuning box. Your best bet would be to get a remap from pete's much much better then tuning box. I too was contemplating between remap and tuning box for my fabia tdi but after doing some google and speaking to few who got tuning box went in for a remap just when my car had completed 4000kms. It felt completely like a new car once I got it done. Have driven about 15k kms after that no worries at all. And with remap on laura, it just flies, endless amount of torque. Plus, with tuning box one gets more amount black smoke on skoda for some strange reason.
So, if you plan to get, get a remap you won't regret it.
So, if you get the remap done is there any way the Skoda people will find out?

I'm asking because unlike a tuning box you just can't remove it and go to the service centre, and also they diagnose the car with the help of a laptop, so will the information be displayed?
Old 13th January 2009, 14:11   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
So, if you get the remap done is there any way the Skoda people will find out?

I'm asking because unlike a tuning box you just can't remove it and go to the service centre, and also they diagnose the car with the help of a laptop, so will the information be displayed?
Well, so far not had any issue of them detecting that I have a remap. My car also had some sensor problem after their service and they runned an auto check which is what they always do first to check for any errors and resolved the problem there on. I give my car at Autobahn and they have proper standing examiner unlike others who use something like the laptop one.
The on;y way they could be able to find out is when they dig into the software to find out the air-fuel ratio and stuff only if the car has a serious major problem. With a remap everything is calibrated along with a turbo boost. It runs smoother, doesn't die of on high rpm like tuning box, no sudden turbo kick like in tuning box, and ya one important thing i observed much lesser smoke compared to tuning box.
Am sure each one thinks in their own way and has their own preference. I was in the same dilemma where wanted to go for tuning box. But after experiencing my friends car with a tuning box and getting more details on remap by google decided to go in for remap. And I don't regret at all.

At the time I got it done there was no other fabia petes had done a remap on. So, just went ahead and got it flashed after which never had any issues with it. You can drive with a light foot easily, which i did and to my surprise improved my mileage overall on the highway or floor the pedal to zip past all other cars.

The end of it Tuning box has it own advantage and so does the remap. Both have their drawback also. But the way, the way I see it geting a tuning box, which would smoke more, would give less power compare to remap, power dies of at higher rev band, against one convenience one can take it off and put it back after your service is done. Remap well it made my car alive. with 70bhp fabia was a pony and now with 100bhp & 240nm of torque its wild horse.

Last edited by Invinsible : 13th January 2009 at 14:17.
Old 13th January 2009, 14:22   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
tuning box is meant for cars without remap option? a 3rd option is some-kinda throttle enhancer, suggested by InsaneDevil, in laura tech thread. search for it. (i'm on mobile)
Well, what you talking about is called sprintbooster. It doesn't have any changed to your bhp and torque levels. All i see it does is helps in pump in more fuel which you would by pressing 50% throttle, with this you may press lets say 25% and get the some amount of fuel pumped in at 50%. There by you feel that little kick in power by pressing lesser throttle.

Have a look at the site. SprintBooster Power Converter - www.SprintBoosterSales.com

Last edited by Invinsible : 13th January 2009 at 14:23.
Old 13th January 2009, 14:40   #55
BHPian

Is there a major price difference between remap and tuning box?.
Old 13th January 2009, 14:53   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
Is there a major price difference between remap and tuning box?.
Well I paid 33K for a remap where the t-box was for 30K or so. Plus, you got to get green filter.
Old 13th January 2009, 19:36   #57
BHPian

Invisible thank you for the valuable information, but is it necessary to install the green cotton air filter cause my only worry is about it affecting the warranty and also that Skoda might just use this as an excuse if any problems do occur in the future.
Old 14th January 2009, 13:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Invisible thank you for the valuable information, but is it necessary to install the green cotton air filter cause my only worry is about it affecting the warranty and also that Skoda might just use this as an excuse if any problems do occur in the future.
Well no worries at all your warranty will not be void incase you use the green replacement filter. No problem at all with that. And green filter would help in burning that fuel in right way by feeding in more air. You might even notice slight increase in mileage. If you not using the green filter no problem, but your car will be smoking more often, more of black smoke is nothing but unburnt fuel. So, better to get one. Hope this helps.
Old 15th January 2009, 21:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

increased mileage? are you sure... i think there are stage's in remaps ... im not so sure about the info.
Old 16th January 2009, 12:24   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
increased mileage? are you sure... i think there are stage's in remaps ... im not so sure about the info.
Here's my post (no.672) regarding the mileage increase i posted on the fabia thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur
1. Just wanted to know whether there is any increase in the fuel efficiency after remap?

2. Will there be any side effects on the engine if one gets the car remapped?
1. Well under city driving when driven in economy mode that is without speeding to much or without much flooring the pedal havnt seen any drop but at times notice drop by 10% or so but thats only bumber to bumber trafic. On highway run when i drove on 100 constant did see an increase by 5 to 10% i can say that as i have the elegance model which shows l/100km earlier in would indicate 4.1L/100kms at 100kmph where now it shows 3.5 to 3.8L/100kms. So when driven sanely yes there is an increase or so. But with the kind of power your right foot its bound to get heavier, and you lend up rocketing it.

2. Well when you talk about side effects its any normal car would have it if you drive insanely flooring and red lining it al the time. With remap you do get tempted to do that but if driven sanely you may infact increase the life of the engine as with increase torgue 1 can drive on higher gear without downshifting as the car would just pull with the extra torgue you have which leads to less stress on engine. I for the fact havent red lined more then 1 or 2 ocasion, I shift up max at 3 to 3.5k rpm. Overal it al depends how to treat your baby, SANELY.

Regards

Here's another post (no.739) on that same thread that i posted after a trip to lonavala. here's the extract from it:

Well, have driven my fab to 11,500kms must say she is still going strong accept few rattles in dashboard. Got certain thing fixed during my last serive which i got it done 10000kms but looks like will have to make another visit to the workshop to fix my dash. last Sat went to lonavla with my fiance. my tank had come down to E. so filled it up with Rs.500 worth of diesel, just to check till where it takes me upto which was roughly about 12.75 L of diesel. Drove on the expressway at a speed of 100-120kms with few times bursting it upto 170-180kms must say the car really stable at these speeds. Din't realise I was doing 170-180 with led zepplin tantalising my ears until i saw the needle. As for the mileage while doing 100-120kms it showed the avg consumption of 3.2 to 3.5L/100kms. which am sure has come down after the service by evening I was back. And to my surprise my car had done 230kms by now in return and still had some fuel to go till it reached E again. Manage the other day with same amount of fuel where drove about 50-52kms with it finally coming to 280 in just 500Rs of fuel. Guess an avg of 20+ L. And all this after having the Remap done. Am sure in most cases fuel avg goes down but if driven sanely with it one might be surprised to see what kinda figures one can expect.

You may also read page.51 on that thread to understand what little it takes sometimes to get the better mileage out of your baby.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks