Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2008, 23:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Congratulations mate!

Heard the DEFENDER comes with an alluminum body, and the vehicle will out-last you.

The greatest thing is the heritage. This is the vehicle that concurred continents. The ultimate thing on 4 wheels. Its actually the first vehicle that most tribals saw!
Actually 75% of them, that left solihull are still on roads.

Also add to that 75% of this planet's population saw the first vehicle as Land Rover.

@ Steeriod
Great looking vehcile man. How come it has full time 4x4.? was is modded.
This one is a 4 speeder or 5 speeder.?
Old 26th December 2008, 00:40   #32
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Steeroid on a great buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Cant go off the road and think about pictures - both are very intense activities. We've done a whole lot of off-roading on the Safari, but have no or very few pics - when you're up against terrain, there's no time to stop and take pics unless the intention of going off the only is only to capture pictures.
Are you saying all the Jeep Thrills OTRs are not intense and done only for photographs? Posting photographs after each OTR has been long tradition in JT, and now in Team-BHP. We added further icing of detailed report.

Anyway, I guess that means there will be no action photographs of the defender doing any offroading. That would have been a treat to the eyes.
Old 26th December 2008, 00:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Actually 75% of them, that left solihull are still on roads.
And the rest 25% made it home i guess.

@Steeroid,
That's a sweet Landie.. Congrats..
It has been my dream boat for quite some time now..

Cheers
Old 26th December 2008, 01:39   #34
BHPian

Congrats! :P

You should probably lend it to the mad mullah for proper use around where he is right now! hehe

@ ported head: "sayyarah" in arabic means "car"
Old 26th December 2008, 02:07   #35
BHPian

Now this is a vehicle with a soul! There is that something that makes one simply pine for it. No matter what the critics say, it's a work of art! On that note, here's what Clarkson had to say about the Defender 90:
Jeremy Clarkson Land Rover Defender 90 Td5 Station Wagon review | Driving - Times Online

He's hilarious, but I think he should have also included the Landy in his book about things that have a soul.
Congrats Steeroid. You've got a work of art.
Old 26th December 2008, 04:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Are you saying all the Jeep Thrills OTRs are not intense and done only for photographs?
Please dont say things and ask me if I'm saying what you said.

There is a difference between group events and individual trips. I do not belong to any group here, most of the people we used to go out into the desert with are office folks and thers a limit to bringing your office into your leisure. So I tend to keep to myself most of the time. There's a guy who is very good in these matters and will do some amount of handholding initially but I dont think he will be interested in taking my pictures.

Going off the beaten track is also a very individual sort of thing, I guess. At least for me.

Last edited by Steeroid : 26th December 2008 at 04:42.
Old 26th December 2008, 09:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Wow. You're no longer just a distinguished BHPian but a legendary one - what a garage!

Your life is becoming enchanting boss. That's the second Defender I've heard of.

There's one with a gent in Delhi (Pranab) - who was earlier on xbhp as Defender90 (has the Intruder too) - he has a defender. http://jeepthrills.in :: View topic - New Member Introduction . You could get in touch through GODS/Sunny on xbhp/NIOC
Old 26th December 2008, 09:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid,

Congrats on the buy! She (or he) is a beauty to behold! Man, what a charm. No wonder you get so much attention, and as you might be aware, this is only the start!

I am sure you have a lot many people here who are GREEN with envy!

And yes, I congrats on you move to your new residence also, the dog-house!
Old 26th December 2008, 09:44   #39
Team-BHP Support

Steer, be careful not to drive over the Jag when you are parking this in your garage.
Old 26th December 2008, 09:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Steeroid On getting the beast

Awaiting some nice off roading pics
Old 26th December 2008, 09:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Santhosh, at least I can now say "I know someone who owns a Defender".

So, Santa is kind to even BIG Boys, LOL! And I think a "Lifetime Free Service" offer is in order from the House of TATA's, what!!

Have fun mate!
Old 26th December 2008, 10:43   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Cant go off the road and think about pictures - both are very intense activities..............there's no time to stop and take pics unless the intention of going off the only is only to capture pictures.
You MUST! As me & DKG had discussed once, part of the beauty of off-roading is taking things at a leisurely pace. Stopping & stepping out frequently to take in the views only adds to the experience. No need for pro-grade pictures, man! I rarely take expensive digicams along. Many of my pics are from disposable cams.

Quote:
There is a difference between group events and individual trips. I do not belong to any group here..........Going off the beaten track is also a very individual sort of thing, I guess. At least for me.
Steer, group offroading (atleast 3 - 4 4x4s together) is not only fun, but highly recommended. Simply because you have someone to pull you out in case you get stuck or suffer a breakdown. Plus, the joy of comparing how different vehicles tackle the same terrain & learning from one anothers driving skills (MM versus Gypsy discussions in the jungle are priceless!). I'd say offroading is very much a group activity. Though I do venture out alone too, that's only a small percentage of the number of times I am out with other 4x4s.
Old 26th December 2008, 10:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

No Doghouse !

She arrived at the airport.

Rode back home on the Defender with a super-excited 9-year-old.

She loves it!

NO DOGHOUSE!

Woohoooo!
Old 26th December 2008, 11:07   #44
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She loves it!
Take your family and friends on a camping trip just off the Khorfakkan beach, there's a nice lagoon there, enchanting place to camp. They'll all thank you for buying an offroader!!

Some of my most memorable times offroad were with friends, setting up tent, barbecueing, long walks in the wilderness. Your car will open up so much in terms of what's so beautiful about Dubai and its environs.

Do avoid venturing into the desert alone though. Always carry a GPS if you are not too familiar as in no time the tracks get blown away. Its always safer to have atleast one more offroader as invariably you need help as you bottom out on a dune crest or get bogged down in the super soft sand in a bowl

Have loads of fun Steer, a whole new enchanting world of wilderness awaits you and your family.

Its my offroad trips and the boating in the sea that remain my most cherished memories of life in Dubai. All the best

PS Perhaps your 9 year old can be your official photographer. In my case I used to be driver, tent setup guy, barbecue man and photographer

BTW The one thing I regret not doing while living in the UAE is crossing the desert beyond Abu Dhabi. Its one of the deadliest stretches of deserts in the world and has the reputation of killing many a traveller attempting to cross it in the days of just camels. I think its called Liwa? (I forget the name) They also refer to it as the fourth quarter or something like that (geez I am getting old forgetting all the names) You'd need to do this in a convoy of offroaders though as apparently its fool hardy to attempt this alone. The dunes are monstrosities there apparently

Last edited by DKG : 26th December 2008 at 11:23.
Old 26th December 2008, 11:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She loves it!

NO DOGHOUSE!
Wow, you are one lucky man!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks