Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 23:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

congrats rem-man!, will be following this thread closely as am keen to know the performance of the bolero crde in the long run.
Old 10th January 2009, 13:35   #32
jp1
BHPian

Congrats..I was eagerly waiting for review from the time I saw your post mentioning you booked a CRDe. I am into my second Bolero (Slx) with XDP engine. I am owning Bolero from 2001. The main problem with the Bolero is overtaking on highway. I feel that problem is solved with the new engine. The price seems to be high. I hope they would soon launch a 4x4.
Any change in the middle row seat, is it foldable?
I do not know why people think it is good for taxi market, it it quite cramped for taxi use unless it is XL version.
Old 10th January 2009, 23:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Exterior:
I like the overall looks. But let me start with a few dislikes. The mini skirts on the edge of front bumper. I know the reason why they are added but it looks like a last minute job and built is flimsy (plastic / fiber).

I think all new Bolero's have this by default. Not just the CRDe one.
Old 13th January 2009, 18:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Congrats..I was eagerly waiting for review from the time I saw your post mentioning you booked a CRDe. The price seems to be high. I hope they would soon launch a 4x4.
Any change in the middle row seat, is it foldable?
I do not know why people think it is good for taxi market, it it quite cramped for taxi use unless it is XL version.
Hi JP1. Thx. Yes - price is on the higher side - Nope - the middle row is still fixed. I wish I would fold it too.

Running in period (1000km) almost over. Waiting to unleash all the horses on the highway. Will report back if is has improved in overtaking now.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:31   #35
BHPian

Hi Rockyb,

I am planning to buy the same car and Mahindra has quoted 7.35L for VLX on road in Delhi. What all do they give with the car? Can we compare the paint and interior quality to Scorpio's?

I asked for the 4x4 version and was told it is available only with SLX (MDI3200) model and that too with 8 week waiting period.

Wanted 4wd but no go.

Cheers!
Vinay Rathore
Old 21st January 2009, 16:08   #36
BANNED

Xylo is a better preposition than the Bolero now! Offers much more at lesser price!
M&M will have to rethink Bolero's pricing.
Old 22nd January 2009, 07:44   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I ve been a die hard Bolero man and of course a Mahindra loyalist for many years.

I Upgraded from my 2005 Bolero Sportz 10 months ago to the Scorpio.

Test drove the Bolero VLX Crde the other day just to see. Whatever I may have said in the past about seriously considering going back to Bolero Crde from Scorpio, I would like to take back everything. NO WAY!

Bolero Crde is very badly priced at 7.90 Lacs OTR BLR. Lousy value proposition.

It Offers a very basic experience except for the engine which is good compared with the earlier XD3PU and DI Turbo ones.

I vastly preferred my Old Bolero's gear lever because it was longer. - Despite being tall and having long arms, in my normal driving seating position, I found the shortened gear lever of the VLX very irritating.
Poor quality indicator stalks and general plastics were very apparent on this test drive when compared with my daily drive, the Scorpio.

The engine is powerful and quite silent as expected from a Crde but it has nowhere near the refinement that the regular 2.6 Crde Scorp has. Forget the 2.2 completely! And Indeed, the Value Proposition of XYLO is far far better despite of course the Xylo being from a different segment! IMO if they had upgraded the 2005 vintage Bolero Sportz by just adding in this new engine, it would have been better! One advantage of course is the new position for the music system and the better AC/ BLower controls etc.

The sorry leaf spring suspension at the rear should have been upgraded most definitely.

And they could atleast have looked after a basic requirement in MUV/ SUV segment, which is a split foldable or completely foldable rear bench seat!!

After all, once does sometimes wish to carry inanimate objects in the back or even provide a large sleeping space for maybe one's pet dogs, if one is a Bolero customer!!

And I am sorry, but Mahindra seems to have lost the plot completely while fiddling with the cosmetic "improvements" on this vehicle - it frankly is neither here nor there. I preferred my Old 2005 Bolero's genuinely aggressive looks far more!!

And man - what an absolutely third class HORN!!! It sounds like a goat with laryngitis and is guaranteed NOT to cause even a cycle to move out of one's way in the cities/ villages of India!! Ridiculous!

Turning Radius, Braking etc are all not really upto the mark.

The Bolero VLX is a clear case of "Stale Beer" with the sole redeeming feature being the new engine.

I will not consider buying this vehicle.

Guys who are Bolero Fans and who have money to spend, might well consider buying and plonking the new Crde Engine into their old 2005/2004 vintage Boleros with a massive upgradation of brakes, addition of Alloy wheels, possibly a tyre upgrade and several other things. And would need to do a lot of after market modifications for comfort - like the foldable rear seat etc.

I had shared a lot of ideas with Mahindra's for a "sensible and utility based upgrade" of the Bolero, with the addition of a lot of useful features rather than the typically "cosmetic upgrades" that they come up with.

If they had done those things, and then asked customers to pay a premium, it would have been worth while. Certainly not a good value proposition as it stands now.

Not recommended by any means. If you have the budget, chuck in another few grand or save for a while longer and buy yourself the Scorpio LX - far better value IMO!

I hope our friends at Mahindra are seeing this and will do something about it.

Cheers

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd January 2009 at 07:48.
Old 22nd January 2009, 08:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Very well written review, Shankar!
I quite agree that M&M is losing focus and coming out with ill-thought-out variants!
What I find even more shocking is that 4WD seems to be slipping out of their range. Who are they targetting? Property Dealers, Politicians & suchlike! Adventure lovers are being forsaken!
Heck, even taxi operators will not buy the CRDe Bolero!
Old 22nd January 2009, 08:57   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

yo bro!
thanks!
without mincing words, I guess they ARE targeting the real estate baboons, frog faced politicos and so on. The Bolero is by itself a superb utility vehicle and just cries to be let out on the "open road" to adventure/ estate use etc, but certainly NOT in this weird hotch potch of a variant - with the exception of the engine.
4WD should be a definite focus area since as we all know there are precious few options available in the market in the "affordable utility" segment. Thats an area they could certainly develop and service given their competencies!
I am sure some silly clot of a Marketing/ Finance "genius" dreamt up the Bolero Crde's value proposition and certainly not a solid techno savvy jeep enthusiast! When will our Indian corporates ever learn that these things are driven largely from the heart and fuelled by passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Very well written review, Shankar!
I quite agree that M&M is losing focus and coming out with ill-thought-out variants!
What I find even more shocking is that 4WD seems to be slipping out of their range. Who are they targetting? Property Dealers, Politicians & suchlike! Adventure lovers are being forsaken!
Heck, even taxi operators will not buy the CRDe Bolero!
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

My take on the BOLERO

Happened to have the BOLERO experience from close quarters since my Uncle bought a BOLERO STORM CRDe recently.

He paid 7,70,000 OTR in Bangalore, and the vehicle is fully loaded. Power steering, All door power windows, Remote central locking, HVAC system, Factory fitted music system, Voice warning, the works.

I've seen the BOLERO evolve, from the MM540 to the silver coloured steel bodied station wagon, to the ARMADA, then the ARMADA GRAND, BOLERO and the latest 'diaper grill' version.

The BOLERO is Indias LANDROVER DEFENDER. The vehicle you use to conquer continents. Its built in such a way that full functionality is maintianed under extreme conditions and not many things go wrong. It still retains its built forever feel and is a niche vehicle.

The experience in the new one is notches ahead of the other old ones. The AC cools in a jiffy and is silent. The engine is extremely silent. Overall, a good vehicle to buy
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:00   #41
BHPian

Congrats on your new vehicle.drive safe .cheers
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:56   #42
jp1
BHPian

I fully agree with shankar balan on new CRDe Bolero. Mahindra is loosing focus. Even I mailed them couple of times to at least provide a foldable seat for the 2nd row. What utility if it cannot even fit one bicycle in the rear?, possible only with a folded seat.
I moved into a Bolero GLX from my Gypsy in 2001. I missed very badly the 4x4 of gypsy hoping that Mahindra would soon come out with one, when I bought my 2nd Bolero SLX in 2006, there was 4x4, but the engine was not XDP. So reluctantly I went for SLX (XDP) without 4x4. Now I am hoping that by the time my next upgrade is due, I will be able to buy one with a CRDe engine, foldable middle seat and 4x4. But definitely not at the current pricing. I feel the pricing is too high. Xylo is not an option for me.
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:30   #43
BHPian

I too agree with most of your points. 2nd row seat foldaway is must - if not split. Changes is front suspension had made it comfy but increased the rolling - not exactly rolling but spongy. Will test it on highway tomorrow.

Gear in 4th & reverse touches the hand brake in engaged position. This is unacceptable.

I also feel the fixed windows glass is of low quality - compared to my older Boldero GLX. I mean its like those reflection mirrors in "Funny House"

Rumour is - they may launch a 4x4 later

If I would have sat down and calculated VFM - I would have never bought it. But heart won't listen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I ve been a die hard Bolero man and of course a Mahindra loyalist for many years.

I Upgraded from my 2005 Bolero Sportz 10 months ago to the Scorpio.

Test drove the Bolero VLX Crde the other day just to see. Whatever I may have said in the past about seriously considering going back to Bolero Crde from Scorpio, I would like to take back everything. NO WAY!

Bolero Crde is very badly priced at 7.90 Lacs OTR BLR. Lousy value proposition.

Cheers
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Gear in 4th & reverse touches the hand brake in engaged position. This is unacceptable.
Isn't this deliberate to prevent going in reverse or in 4th gear with the handbrake on?!
LOL, I think it is a 'safety' feature.
Old 22nd January 2009, 22:16   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Isn't this deliberate to prevent going in reverse or in 4th gear with the handbrake on?!
LOL, I think it is a 'safety' feature.
But then if it was a safety feature, even the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th should also not engage and why only 4th and reverse. I feel is a flaw rather than a feature.

Most Viewed