Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 06:38   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

the bolero crde handbrake is the same as the old one - quite poor in comparison with say Scorpio

also, IMO this new gear lever which is shorter than the gear lever of the older bolero, interferes with the handbrake somewhat while in reverse position.

I think it is a design flaw more than anything else.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
But then if it was a safety feature, even the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th should also not engage and why only 4th and reverse. I feel is a flaw rather than a feature.
Old 23rd January 2009, 08:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
But then if it was a safety feature, even the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th should also not engage and why only 4th and reverse. I feel is a flaw rather than a feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I think it is a design flaw more than anything else.
In the case of M&M it might well be, but I remember reading that some european maker (sorry, can't recall which one) has done this deliberately, as a quick reminder for those who tend to drive off without releasing the handbrake.
This measure can only work for gears 2, 4 & reverse, but that is good enough, isn't it? You'll never keep driving in first!
Old 23rd January 2009, 13:31   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

How about some interior pictures please?
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

hai dada came across this thread after a long time, been waiting to read the review of the new Bolero..

Even i could be included in the fan club of Bolero, thanks to Rocky and his old Bolero..i think Bolero is a best vehicle for the people who love touring!

Keep it going!
Old 27th January 2009, 18:07   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drove the CRDE today alongside the DI. In stop and go traffic conditions, I really did not find the oomph in the CRDE. The engine bay scared me a bit. I doubt any road-side mechanic will be allowed to lay his hands on this. But the CRDE is quite silent.

The DI engine needs to be tested on the highway. I dont think we can expect any magic from this unless you have aladins magic carpet underneath. The engine is quite noisy, but with a good music system onboard, it shouldnt trouble you. PLus you frankly dont give two hoots to people putting their hands in the engine. It looks too dirty by itself. Just reminds me of my 540 engine bay. The price difference is about 1.2L between the SLE (base "makes the most sense" variant) and the only VLX variant with a lot of nonsense thrown alongwith it...and I am wondering if this amount is justified to ensure powerful overtaking on the highways. Thats pretty much the only plus.

And I think NOT. I wonder if M&M will launch a basic VLX? Is there a chance? or are people saying *No Way*?
Old 27th January 2009, 18:54   #51
BHPian

1800 km report

Hi all

Just completed 1800+ km on Whitefeather. Went to Ooty and back. Again I would like mention that I am comparing it to my ex-Bolero GLX.

Overall highway speed has gone up. Earlier my cruising speed was 90kmph. Now its 110kmph @ 2500rpm - 5th gear. Overtaking is a breeze now. After slowing down for speed breakers or otherwise - the roll on speed between gears is amazing. Please note - I am not a speed freak. But to test it I pushed it to 140kmph for a few seconds. It moves and will still go faster. Makes a lotsa difference if I need to cover long distance.

Very well composed at high speeds & turns - just like my old Bolero. Brakes are very assuring. The Apollo Amazers are not as bad as I assumed them to be. It did screech ones during wheel spin and another during hard braking.

Driving: May be engine is new or maybe I have to learn how to drive it in the powerband (above 2000rpm) but I was not very happy the way it climbed the famous 36 hair pin bends of Kallati - on the way to Ooty. My older Bolero did it effortlessly in 3rd gear. Now the gearing are tall and no power below 2000 rpm. So I had to do it at 1st or 2nd. And if I slowed down below 2000 rpm @ 2nd gear - 40 kmph; I had no power to climb the steep hair pins. On the other hand - in my older Bolero - if I pushed the pedal - I had no more extra power or acceleration - it use to climb up at its own speed. This one moves - lotsa power if I push the pedal but only after 2000rpm. Grrrrr .... 2000rpm is the master - am the slave.

In other words - The older Bolero gear box was more jeep like / diesel car like. This one is more car like / petrol car like. Older Bolero had power (torque) right from the start. In fact in slopes I need not push the acc at all. All I had to do it let go the clutch. This one stops if I do the same.

Mileage - will calculate precisely after it redlines but approx - 10+ on highway - with AC - but went down when I was loitering around the Blue hills of Nilgiri.

@theMAG - I will soon post interior pix - actually - nothing great, very basic
Old 27th January 2009, 21:19   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm..since the XDP engine is no longer available its probably not prudent to compare the 2...probables like me have no way to go

So if I compare this with the DI Turbo engined ones...do you think the DI Turbo will muster the energy to do that hill climb like the older gem? I think so. The range starts at somewhere like 1500 rpm if I am not wrong. If thats the case, and I just need to give up on highway overtaking, then its alright. But if climbing on the DI turbo is also a pain like the CRDE, then...hmmmm...do you get the drift?

I think, considering the DI's load carrying plaque, it should be able to do this a lot better than the CRDE...and its definitely more jeep than the CRDE.

So who gets the vote here? DI Turbo or CRDE? Remember...1.2L difference in Bangalore.

PS: Can some DI Turbo owners please write in???!
Old 27th January 2009, 21:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
So who gets the vote here? DI Turbo or CRDE?
DI Turbo. For the very reason you have observed, and also the fact that there is much less that can go wrong with this one vis-a-vis the CRDe!

Taxi operators in the hills refused to go for the CRDe Scorpio! Hence the M2DI! Savvy?

The same will be the story of the CRDe Bolero!
Old 28th January 2009, 05:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Hi all

Just completed 1800+ km on Whitefeather. Went to Ooty and back. Again I would like mention that I am comparing it to my ex-Bolero GLX.

Driving: May be engine is new or maybe I have to learn how to drive it in the powerband (above 2000rpm) but I was not very happy the way it climbed the famous 36 hair pin bends of Kallati - on the way to Ooty. My older Bolero did it effortlessly in 3rd gear. Now the gearing are tall and no power below 2000 rpm. So I had to do it at 1st or 2nd. And if I slowed down below 2000 rpm @ 2nd gear - 40 kmph; I had no power to climb the steep hair pins. On the other hand - in my older Bolero - if I pushed the pedal - I had no more extra power or acceleration - it use to climb up at its own speed. This one moves - lotsa power if I push the pedal but only after 2000rpm. Grrrrr .... 2000rpm is the master - am the slave.

In other words - The older Bolero gear box was more jeep like / diesel car like. This one is more car like / petrol car like. Older Bolero had power (torque) right from the start. In fact in slopes I need not push the acc at all. All I had to do it let go the clutch. This one stops if I do the same.
WHy do you expect the new Bolero to do the same thing in third gear as the old one? This one has different torque characteristics and gearing, so drive accordingly. Why think a vehicle is inferior if it needs a lower gear? It allows you to cruise comfortable on the highway, doesn't it? Ok, so you need to keep it above 2000 rpm, so that means a change in driving style when going up hairpin bends. If you are deft enough to keep it in the powerband, CRDE engines can be rewarding, even in the hills. Maybe you will appreciate the vehicle more as you put the miles on the clock.
Old 28th January 2009, 06:01   #55
BANNED

Bang On!

Ive found the same thing when comparing the earlier Turbo Scorp to the 2.6 Crde Scorp while driving in the hills.
Agree with you that the technique of usage has to be different as the torque characteristics and engine behaviour are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
WHy do you expect the new Bolero to do the same thing in third gear as the old one? This one has different torque characteristics and gearing, so drive accordingly. Why think a vehicle is inferior if it needs a lower gear? It allows you to cruise comfortable on the highway, doesn't it? Ok, so you need to keep it above 2000 rpm, so that means a change in driving style when going up hairpin bends. If you are deft enough to keep it in the powerband, CRDE engines can be rewarding, even in the hills. Maybe you will appreciate the vehicle more as you put the miles on the clock.
Old 28th January 2009, 08:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Bang On!

Ive found the same thing when comparing the earlier Turbo Scorp to the 2.6 Crde Scorp while driving in the hills.
Agree with you that the technique of usage has to be different as the torque characteristics and engine behaviour are different.
True, no doubt.
BUT ....
The old gen diesel engines had an amazing lugging ability that I do miss.
Lazybones drivers could simply chug along without bothering to shift gears. There was a thrill in this that is so completely missing from the current crop of CRDe emgines. These engines actually stall on a steep gradient if you don't shift down fast enough!
Old 28th January 2009, 10:10   #57
BANNED

i find I have to shift considerably earlier in the Crde turbo Scorp before taking a hairpin bend for example. only then once the revs pickup, am i easily able to chug up the hill.
whereas in the older scorp as you say, there is a tremendous amount of low haul torque which enables one to chug along and shift to a lower gear just before getting into the curve of the hairpin bend.
thats one reason why taxi drivers prefer the older turbo to the crde one - they are generally lazy to shift and prefer to use higher gears more than the lower ones I ve found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
True, no doubt.
BUT ....
The old gen diesel engines had an amazing lugging ability that I do miss.
Lazybones drivers could simply chug along without bothering to shift gears. There was a thrill in this that is so completely missing from the current crop of CRDe emgines. These engines actually stall on a steep gradient if you don't shift down fast enough!
Old 28th January 2009, 10:13   #58
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Hi all

Thank you again for the long drive report. Overall sounds a good package (except the price). I drove many times to Ooty and other high ranges, but found my Bolero with XDP is a pleasure to drive on the hills. But the CRDe is short of the torgue at 3rd gear as per your experience. That is disappointing.
Old 28th January 2009, 10:30   #59
BHPian

Hi Red Liner

I have driven the present DI extensively too. Close friend of mine have it. It behaves very similar to the older IDI (XDP). Tad noisy but excellent mileage. It climbs hills as effortlessly as the XDP. In you are ready to compromise little bit on highway overtaking then go for it. Either way - they are not that slow too.

This is where I climbed up effortlessly on the DI SLX - "This is where I belong" on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hmm..since the XDP engine is no longer available its probably not prudent to compare the 2...probables like me have no way to go

So if I compare this with the DI Turbo engined ones...do you think the DI Turbo will muster the energy to do that hill climb like the older gem? I think so. The range starts at somewhere like 1500 rpm if I am not wrong. If thats the case, and I just need to give up on highway overtaking, then its alright.
PS: Can some DI Turbo owners please write in???!
Old 28th January 2009, 10:36   #60
BHPian

Kuttapan

I agree with you. I have to learn how to drive a CRDe in the powerband. Please note - I never mentioned inferior in my report. I am only penning down my experiences/comparison of both the Boleros. There are pros n cons on both. I am getting aware and appreciate both.

I will definetly keep you all updated as I put on more miles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post

Most Viewed