Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 19:51   #106
BHPian

A STORM-y weekend

Though I had got my new Bolero about 3 weeks back and had been driving around with it in Bangalore, it was only this Saturday that I truly got a chance to familiarise myself with the vehicle. This Saturday I started off with my weekly visits to Gudalur and was doing the trip alone accompanied by two matteresses and a computer as my backseat passengers!

Immediately on hitting the Bangalore-Mysore highway I turned on the tap to see what this baby could do... I guess the general 'public' (small-mid cars, qualis & sumo taxis) is still used to the image of Boleros as lumbering transports lazily adorning the highways. Hence the sight of a Bolero adamantly loom large in their RVMs no matter what, might have
been slightly frustrating.

Compared to my Estilo (this comparison is inevitable in my case, that being my previous ride) the Bolero is quite a handful to control at high speeds. But changing down gears and tackling turns by changing lanes takes care of any handling issues. Since this vehicle is meant to 'eat up' the bumps on the road, I generally went over most of the small speed bumps with modest braking, but this caused the left ORVM to constantly lose it's allignment (need to tighten it I guess) and I had to stop often to readjust the mirror.

On the Mysore-Gundlupet stretch I bumped into a gentleman in a Scorpio Turbo Dx who took offence at a 'load-carrying' Bolero overtake his mount... I hope I've convinced him to upgrade to the MHawk! One of the greatest irritations of driving around with an out-state number plate is that everyone else thinks that you are mental retard who's on the road just to waste their time, but luckily a 2.4 Lt 97 bhp crde engine is quite a persuasive talker.

But the rear-end jumpiness of the Bolero remains quite a quirk at high-speeds. To counter the problem, my uncle has suggested that I carry a sack of sand in the back permanently, just as he does in his Scorpio Dx! The road to the Estate however is strictly Bolero-country and the Bolero shows its thorough-bred toughness on such stretches. View a video of the stretch to the estate at the below link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post1248847

Overall, the drive was incomparable to my Estilo trips since at the end of it I had pain in my knees and backache (maybe because of the change in seating positions between the Bolero & the Estilo) and an aching left arm due to the heavy gear shift (vis-a-vis the Estilo. But like my f-in-law said later that day, it's all in the mind and it's all a matter of getting used to the vehicle. Yeah, so maybe that and maybe a sack of sand...
Old 7th April 2009, 17:25   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Though I had got my new Bolero about 3 weeks back and had been driving around with it in Bangalore, it was only this Saturday that I truly got a chance to familiarise myself with the vehicle. This Saturday I started off with my weekly visits to Gudalur and was doing the trip alone accompanied by two matteresses and a computer as my backseat passengers!

Hence the sight of a Bolero adamantly loom large in their RVMs no matter what, might have been slightly frustrating.

Ha ha ha - I agree - go the same feeling

but this caused the left ORVM to constantly lose it's alignment (need to tighten it I guess) and I had to stop often to readjust the mirror.

Talk to you dealer - get them tightened.

But the rear-end jumpiness of the Bolero remains quite a quirk at high-speeds.

What is the tyre pressure in all the 4 wheels? Stick to recommended only. Its not so jumpy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post1248847

Nice video. In rain/slippery situation; don;t accelerate - let 1st gear and torque do the talking.

Overall, the drive was incomparable to my Estilo trips since at the end of it I had pain in my knees and backache (maybe because of the change in seating positions between the Bolero & the Estilo) and an aching left arm due to the heavy gear shift (vis-a-vis the Estilo. But like my f-in-law said later that day, it's all in the mind and it's all a matter of getting used to the vehicle. Yeah, so maybe that and maybe a sack of sand...
Hand pain due to gear shift? Hmm - are you sitting to far away? I agree Bolero seats can be more comfy - but the overall sitting position is more comfy for longer drives. Slowly you will get used to it. In fact I had to learn when I changed from Bolero GLX (IDI) to Bolero VLX (CRDe)
Old 17th April 2009, 12:50   #108
BHPian

Update: Back from Munnar last weekend. It was a 1100+ km trip. Thanks for the travel section here for last minute route tips which help me choose the best option for me. Overall am very happy with my Bolero CRDe. Maintained very good speed on the highway (compared to older Bolero - not cars). I wonder what will happen if MM makes the Bolero more aerodynamic now - Specially the wind screen. It retains its older character. No body roll like Scopio or Safari at high speeds turns in highway. More comfy over bad roads. It returned 11kmpl. AC was on for more than 50% of the time. But not sure if AC really affect mileage in Bolero.

Cons: Apollo Amazer XL tyres. I highly unrecomend them. If I brake hard they skids (Sorry - no ABS in Bolero yet) . In Munnar we stayed in a home stay with a steep incline (above 30deg) with sharp u-turns. My wheels started spinning even in dry tarmac - with correct tyre pressure, which was very scary. I can imagine what will happen in loose gravel or wet. With my Bridgestones Dueler HT - it was so easy.

Overall I feel its a good cruiser now. Ready for 1st service.
Old 17th April 2009, 13:13   #109
Senior - BHPian

Wow now Bolero seem to be a perfect touring machine!

Dada what speed did you maintain, esp on winding roads?
Old 17th April 2009, 13:33   #110
BHPian

Which winding roads? There are many in Munnar. I really enjoyed Munnar to Top-station. Newly laid road - no speed bumps, continous sharp and blind turns, so maintained 40kmph - but its a pleasure to drive. It is of the best roads I have driven on recently. Was thinking - what if its blocked and organise a NFS. My Bolero tyres were squealing - so imagine - or mebbe it is because of those horrible Apollos

On the highway maintained 110kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Wow now Bolero seem to be a perfect touring machine!

Dada what speed did you maintain, esp on winding roads?
Old 7th May 2009, 16:45   #111
BHPian

1st Service - 5000km report

Ok bhpians

I have completed the 1st scheduled service of my Bolero VLX at 5000+ km. It is a pleasure to drive it now. City FE has gone up by 1kmpl. Yet to check highway kmpl. I can feel the torque in 1st, 2nd & reverse gear - which was missing earlier. I mean I need not press the accelerator at all now - just like the older GLX. Overall the engine has become silent too.

There is a problem with one of the brake valves. In slow speed the brake is too sharp. Tends to lock. Dealer has promised to replace it free of cost ones the spare arrives. Rest all is OK. As of now happy with the Auth Service Centre.

Weekday is definitely a better day to service your car

Time to move on to long term report.
Old 7th May 2009, 17:37   #112
Senior - BHPian

I drove Rocky's Bolero otherday must say the CRDE has added magic to this machine, i seriously dint miss a petrol car...its quick and it gets lovely after 2k mark.

it surely is a very good mile muncher!

Only down side is sad looking interior, if one can leave with it i guess its the best vehicle to tour!
Old 7th May 2009, 18:27   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Ok bhpians...
... As of now happy with the Auth Service Centre.
Rocky! I got my vehicle serviced last week at Sireesh Auto - Hosur Road. But I'm not experiencing the kind of 'freshness' that you are. Where do you service your vehicle? When I went to SA last week, the place was choc-a-blok with dozens of Scorpios and I was apprehensive whether they would really service my vehicle properly or not. Now my suspicions have been confirmed.

The only issue with my vehicle was the loose left ORVM which they had said that they will have to replace with a new one. But when I went to collect the vehicle after service, the service consultant told me that they had tightened it. But today when I drove the vehicle at high speeds the mirror was again loosing it's alignment.
Old 7th May 2009, 18:32   #114
BANNED

Quote:
The only issue with my vehicle was the loose left ORVM
Why dont you pick a screwdriver and check for yourself. The ORVM is a basic one. No high tech stuff or wires to worry about. Depending upon Service Centers for small jobs like these should be avoided.

Check it yourself, if damaged show it to them and have it replaced under warranty if valid.
Old 7th May 2009, 19:11   #115
BHPian

I went to India Garage

I guess you can tighten the RVM yourselves but if the thread is worn out make sure they replace it.

The parts are still designed for low speed I guess

Quote:
Rocky! I got my vehicle serviced last week at Sireesh Auto - Hosur Road. But I'm not experiencing the kind of 'freshness' that you are. Where do you service your vehicle?

The only issue with my vehicle was the loose left ORVM which they had said that they will have to replace with a new one. But when I went to collect the vehicle after service, the service consultant told me that they had tightened it. But today when I drove the vehicle at high speeds the mirror was again loosing it's alignment.
Old 22nd July 2009, 20:53   #116
BHPian

Quick Update - Brake Locking issue

M&M authorised service station service is definitely improving though same cannot be said about Bolero built quality.

My Storm had a funny problem which appeared right before the 1st service - say around 4500km. At slow speed (below 20kmph) the brakes use to lock up all the wheels - even with light touch. Once I cross 30kmph the locking does not happen. During first service the service advisor admitted that some parts needs to be replaced. But the parts was not available. He had to order it.

I asked him - it it dangerous to drive it like this. He said no. Off I went to Kerala. Didn't face any problem in the whole journey.

The part arrived almost after a month. Then I got busy during weekdays. Finally took 1/2 day off from work and got the part replaced. Its a part borrowed from Scorpio. Only the VLX Bolero has it. Its looks like a home-grown brake booster which is suppose to boost the braking power according to the load of the vehicle. M&M markets (in brochure & website) it as "Braking System fitted with LSPV".

It is a part which sits near the rear axle. The brake pipes come from front enter this part. From here the pipes are redistributed to all the 4 wheels. It has a long spring. So then there is more load in the vehicle - the distance between body and axle decreases thereby decreasing the spring length. Which result in making the brakes more powerful. In my case the spring itself was missing. Question is - did it fall off before 1st service or it came without it? No clue. Its a mystery.

They replaced it free of cost. Also fitted a extra washer & lock pin so that it does not fall off again. Then it took around 1 week for the the part to get adjusted. Now its working fine.

7500+km and storming

Note: LSPV - Load Sensing Proportioning Valve
Old 30th July 2009, 18:44   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
I like to take control of my machine, so when i pump the acc. pedal , it goes, but in the crde, the computer does the acceleration 4u, no matter how hard u push the accelarator, it will accelerate slowly. plus it kinda dies in low gears n low speed. Ask me today n i'll evn pay more n again get the SLX instead of VLX if i have to. And its not all that bad too on the highway too as all say, u just have to drive it in its power band, thats all. It takes a bit getting used to but after u drive it a couple of times on the highway u get the hang of it n then on its smooth n easy.
Sir, the computer does not accelarate slowly - You cant compare 1900s technology with 2000s technology. DI and DI turbo are obsolete technology and CRDi is the emerging technology that is more enviroment friendly.

I'm in the same dilemma currently in selecting between a Bolero SLX Vs VLX and have TD both atleast 2 times.

Guess I need to save the environment for the next generation and would opt for technology
Old 4th August 2009, 09:25   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, the computer does not accelarate slowly - You cant compare 1900s technology with 2000s technology. DI and DI turbo are obsolete technology and CRDi is the emerging technology that is more enviroment friendly.

I'm in the same dilemma currently in selecting between a Bolero SLX Vs VLX and have TD both atleast 2 times.

Guess I need to save the environment for the next generation and would opt for technology
Dude, i'm not comparing two technologies, i'm merely pointing out pros n cons of both of them. Definitely Common Rail is a newer technology. But each technology does has its minus points to till some extent right?? When u keep upgrading anything, its done at some cost, agree? The price goes up? A simple machine gets complicated?? Thanx to the advanced technology, todays cars dont break down so soon , but if they do, would any road side mechanic be able to fix ur common rail technology? Even if he claims he can do it, would u in your right frame of mind take the risk?
All i'm saying is though with time technology improves n is miles ahead of the old workhorse engine, there are some sensitive places in the underbelly of this newer inventions, which the older versions did not. At the end of the day, to each one his own, if you like the crde technology, who's stopping you, go ahead, your choice, your money. Its a personal liking n each individual's vision, for me the bigger picture is the proven track record of the DI, i dont mind its so called harsh noise, i like it to be frank, i like the other added advantages which are its a DI, no glow plugs issue, it gives better milage, it does not have a timing belt which needs to be replaced every 50,000kms or so, n its cheap to buy initially not to miss its low running n maintaince cost. So for me pal, any day DI, if i have to shell out around another lakh or more just for the crde, i'll go for the scorpio or maybe something better, in this price range n given the DI, s record its unbeatable still today, put it in 1st or 2nd gear n leave it on a hill to climb with no acceleration, n it would do it beautifully, its meant for that hard pulling, do that with the crde n u'll see what happens. Anyway pal, every thing has their own pros n cons, its all ur personal choice at the end of the day, cheers!!
Old 4th August 2009, 11:31   #119
BHPian

I read in Autocar magazine about the start/stop mechanism being tested in Bolero CRDE which effectively shuts off the engine when it is idling for more than 10 secs and restarts it when accelarator is depressed. This is joint Bosch-M&M venture.Is that available as a OEM on CRDE Bolero they call this some Fuel-Smart technology or something. As per the magazine it need a extra starter motor and cost about 4000Rs.

Any Bolero owner having an idea of this ?

-- Vikrant
Old 4th August 2009, 11:40   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
I read in Autocar magazine about the start/stop mechanism being tested in Bolero CRDE which effectively shuts off the engine when it is idling for more than 10 secs and restarts it when accelarator is depressed. This is joint Bosch-M&M venture.Is that available as a OEM on CRDE Bolero they call this some Fuel-Smart technology or something. As per the magazine it need a extra starter motor and cost about 4000Rs.

Any Bolero owner having an idea of this ?

-- Vikrant
They also call it the "micro-hybrid". And ths technology is already available in the Scorp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks