Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 11:45   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
.. put it in 1st or 2nd gear n leave it on a hill to climb with no acceleration, n it would do it beautifully, its meant for that hard pulling, do that with the crde n u'll see what happens.
Well The CRDe does it better:
Old 10th August 2009, 12:29   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
(Only in your dreams) Fine, no comments, when u start being ignorant, stop seeing reason n sense, no one can make you see it, you like CDRE, go for it, why un-necessarily getting into useless arguments, i, for a matter of fact, have driven n tested botht he engines, n had pointed both their qualities & disadvantages, but when some one chooses not to see the disadvantages, its called being prejudiced, and being blinded by something to such an extent that you would not just see any other persons point of view, still i'll say, they both are good engines, each having their merits n de-merits, the crde being the new age n technology, personally i would vote for the old workhorse DI, but ofcourse no 2 men/people are the same, so i dont expect you to agree with me, what i like about a particular vehicle might hold no value for another person, and what some other person likes about a particular thing/object/car/engine, might have no value for me in my decision making before i go for my purchase, thats why they say, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. For eg., the low noise n clatter of the CRDE, might seem too much of a lame n vain factor before i choose a Jeep, it would definately matter had it been a car, but Jeeps are diff league all together. For me the deciding factors would be its (in case of Jeeps/SUV) dependibility, cost & availability of spares & Labour, its daily running cost, fuel quality requirement (CRDE is very sensitive to adultrated fuel, which is a problem in itself when u plan long trip and dont know where and what kind of fuel would you be putting in the next time you refuel it) its ruggidibility & proven abuse it can take etc etc. Well, again it all comes down to personal liking, simply compare the two vehicles, and you take home what you like, as simple as that. And if you think i'm wrong anywhere, you can consult all the members in this forum who have been driving the DI version, and who will vote for it anyday, hands down, because they have what you call as practical experiance of driving and LIVING the DI, not theoratical knowledge....No sweat dude, no hard feelings, chill n ur 100% entitled to your choice n opinion, just like any other person. Cheers n Peace
Other members please do correct me if anywhere i said anything which was wrong/incorrect. Thanx

Last edited by maheep007 : 10th August 2009 at 12:37.
maheep007 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th August 2009, 20:26   #123
Senior - BHPian

hi maheep007, i like your profile picture - and i agree a picture is worth 1000 words!

chill out :
Old 10th August 2009, 21:05   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... put it in 1st or 2nd gear n leave it on a hill to climb with no acceleration, n it would do it beautifully, its meant for that hard pulling, do that with the crde n u'll see what happens. ...
Quote:
Sorry, Headers, the CRDe does NOT do it better! It very simply stalls!!
Old 11th August 2009, 08:36   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Sorry, Headers, the CRDe does NOT do it better! It very simply stalls!!
OK BOSS, OR maybe that particular vehicle did not have the antistall feature enabled
Old 11th August 2009, 13:26   #126
BHPian

As an SLX DI Turbo owner, who absolutely adores the DI, but respects the technological superiority of the VLX CRDe, I'd like to lay down some facts.

1. The CRDe is more powerful, quicker off the mark, quieter, rumbles less and has fun point and shoot characteristics that totally change the perceived notion of Bolero's being slow, clunky and ponderous. The fuel bills, maintenance bills, the complex nature of things in the engine bay etc make it a little more expensive to own and run than the DI. But everything worth having has a price tag with a punch.

2. The DI has been around longer, has proven to handle abuse, has cheaper spares (eg. diesel filter is 135/- as compared to 1600/- for VLX), isn't really fast off the mark, but can coast at 90-100 kph, and does not pinch your pocket when it comes to fuel bills or maintenance bills(atleast until 1.5 lakh kms). Its fun in its own way, but isn't as much fun as the VLX. By a long shot.

I love my SLX. It gives me what I need on the city streets, highways and all the broken patches everywhere. I can pile in as much crap as I want and not care about anything. But there is no doubt that the VLX is simply quicker and more agile than my DI. Debating about torquing the engine in first gear to climb a hill without accelerator input, and other such details are really of no use. Compare the DI Turbo with another DI, not with a CRDe. Compare the GLX and the SLX, compare the older Armada's with the SLX, then the true growth and changes of the DI will appear. What used to be a tractor engine has now metamorphosed into a Turbo, with characteristics that make it a pleasure to drive anywhere. The CRDe will remain the superior in terms of technology and fun factor. But the DI Turbo stands as a legacy to all the DI engines that contributed to M&M's dominance in this line.

Cheers,
Old 11th August 2009, 14:09   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Debating about torquing the engine in first gear to climb a hill without accelerator input, and other such details are really of no use.
Sir: A Big to you: Very well pointed out the importance in vehicles and engine selection process.

Well, I had TD the DI turbo as well as Storm more than once and I was in a real dilemma. The DI is bullet proof and no driver can damage the vehicle. All the dealers vouch for DI turbo etc etc.. The NVH was quite good - I have driven the older jeep with international engine to understand this.

My point was - why allow anybody to screw my vehicle anyway! and I simply love the power of the storm - I have a CRDi Accent with more than 80K on the odo without much trouble. All this make me believe that we should go for technology - its 70K more than the SLX which IMO was not VFM - no offense i just look at it from a different POV.

I do a lot of highway driving where putting one side on the kerb ar high speed should not deter you - the driver.

Hence booked a Storm
Old 11th August 2009, 14:30   #128
BHPian

Quote:
My point was - why allow anybody to screw my vehicle anyway! and I simply love the power of the storm - I have a CRDi Accent with more than 80K on the odo without much trouble. All this make me believe that we should go for technology - its 70K more than the SLX which IMO was not VFM - no offense i just look at it from a different POV.
Everybody accepts that new technology is better in many aspects and more fun and worth the price. Ultimately, I believe it all boils down to personal choice. What matters is what makes you happy. If you drove a DI, then drove the CRDe, and your heart said the CRDe is the one for you, no other criteria matters. The decision is 40% technical and 60% from the heart. Nobody here is asking for justification from you, on why you chose the CRDe. I drove all Mahindra UV's from the Bolero's (SLE/SLX/VLX) to the Xylo and also the new Scorpio before I decided that the SLX was the one for me. Not based on VFM or technology or any other factor. I just felt at home in the SLX, it made me comfortable, and I could rest easy knowing there aren't a million sensors in the engine bay that will keep me up at nights. Your decision for the Storm is equally well made and justified by the fact that it makes you happy. In the end thats all that really counts. You do not need to justify the choice to anybody here at all. Have fun with the storm, it really is a quick UV.

Cheers,
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2009, 14:57   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Other members please do correct me if anywhere i said anything which was wrong/incorrect. Thanx
Sirji, the fact that you go out of your way to defend the DI is truly appreciated. No other post/poster has posted with such emotion supporting the DI, and you need to be commended for this. Somewhere along the line, there is always the risk of comparison with the VLX becoming heated and leading to a "DI is better", "No! CRDe is better" scene happening. Completely unavoidable because fans of either will always be vocal about their ideal product. What we need is less emotion, and more practical inputs from you, about the merits and de-merits of the DI, because who better to list the pros and cons than someone who enjoys living with one. Similarly, let headers list the pros and cons of his vehicle. Let us all learn about our machines, and appreciate their characteristics. Remember, if there weren't any differences (of products And of opinions), there really is no point in having a forum to discuss them. I'll PM you a link to my blog post, which you'll no doubt like, because its written with similar emotion and under similar duress. Glad to find a DI lover here, there aren't enough!

Cheers,
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2009, 20:06   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra should have given an output of atleast 75 bhp for the DI engine, similar to what Force motors have done with their 2.5 L DI Engine. This would have removed one big drawback of their DI engine.
Old 12th August 2009, 12:26   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Mahindra should have given an output of atleast 75 bhp for the DI engine, similar to what Force motors have done with their 2.5 L DI Engine. This would have removed one big drawback of their DI engine.
Agreed, there can never be enough bhp! although, one has to mention the unusual gear ratios in the DI. 1st and 2nd are really short(0-30), 3rd is the tallest(30-60), 4th gets you coasting between 60 and 80, 5th can only be useful on level ground beyond 80kph, and any dip below 80(some 1500revs) necessitates a downshift. This is purely my experience, and I may be doing it wrong. I've gotten used to these ratios and my driving style has adapted to them, however it will always surprise somebody unfamiliar with the bolero's.

VLX guys, your turn to enlighten us on your machine's gear ratios. How do you find them?

Cheers,
Old 18th August 2009, 08:10   #132
BHPian

Note From Mod : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Agreed, there can never be enough bhp! although, one has to mention the unusual gear ratios in the DI. 1st and 2nd are really short(0-30), 3rd is the tallest(30-60), 4th gets you coasting between 60 and 80, 5th can only be useful on level ground beyond 80kph, and any dip below 80(some 1500revs) necessitates a downshift. This is purely my experience, and I may be doing it wrong. I've gotten used to these ratios and my driving style has adapted to them, however it will always surprise somebody unfamiliar with the bolero's.

VLX guys, your turn to enlighten us on your machine's gear ratios. How do you find them?

Cheers,
Hi Sriku, even my driving n changing gear speed ( for the DI ) is almost similar to yours, i dont like to give the next gear so quickly n easily, normally in 2nd gear the engine easily reaches 40kmph, in 3rd ur right it goes down easily to 60kmph, the 4th i again stretch till 80kmph, and finally after 80 the DI easily does 100kmph, top being around 120. The way our roads are, i think for a jeep which is not aerodynamic in shape, 120 is a pretty decent figure... however i normaly crusie around 90-100, taking into account its braking n "jeepy" characteristics.
Sriku, when i had mentioned the climbing capability of the DI, it was merely pointing out the awesome pulling power this engine has, its a hauler a puller, the engine does it beautifully, without any sweat, no load on the engine, its at home on the climb as it is on level ground...

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2009 at 14:52. Reason: See post
Old 18th August 2009, 08:48   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Sirji, the fact that you go out of your way to defend the DI is truly appreciated. No other post/poster has posted with such emotion supporting the DI, and you need to be commended for this. Somewhere along the line, there is always the risk of comparison with the VLX becoming heated and leading to a "DI is better", "No! CRDe is better" scene happening. Completely unavoidable because fans of either will always be vocal about their ideal product. What we need is less emotion, and more practical inputs from you, about the merits and de-merits of the DI, because who better to list the pros and cons than someone who enjoys living with one. Similarly, let headers list the pros and cons of his vehicle. Let us all learn about our machines, and appreciate their characteristics. Remember, if there weren't any differences (of products And of opinions), there really is no point in having a forum to discuss them. I'll PM you a link to my blog post, which you'll no doubt like, because its written with similar emotion and under similar duress. Glad to find a DI lover here, there aren't enough!

Cheers,
Nicely put up there, "A DI LOVER" , you are right Sriku, i am, and most of the guys who have the DI is not because they did not know that newer technology was available, it was because of a term called 'dependibility', which has stood the test of time. I never said that the DI was a more advanced technology, and the CRDE was bad. I stressed again that both are different and have their own merits n demerits, so at the end of the day its a matter of personal choice. I however gave my personal opinion that i like the DI better because of its proven record, ruggedness, more JEEP character, less complications (glow plugs, timing belts, sensors, ecu, etc etc). Its a simple plain honest engine, that does not need the pampering n care that these day modern hi-tech engines require. The noise, again to me, is a jeep character, if i wanted a silent sophisticated engine, i would not go for a jeep, i'll go for a car or the softer SUV's. Agreed 100% that the CRDE has a greater speed and BHP, is silent, and modern age technology, now do i deny these facts, no, because its true, just like the true things i said about the no nonsense DI. Thanx for supporting my views here sir.
But i'll again say, both are good in their own league. Its a matter of personal choice and what a person likes more in a vehicle, newer age technology, better speed n pick up, low noise engine at the cost of high price, low mileage, unknown dependibility, unnecessary complications, higher cost of spares, labor, very few trained mechanics outside the agency.

ADD - I had an option when i bought my DI, i could have gone for the CRDE, but i did not sir, and for a good reason. CHEERS
Old 18th August 2009, 09:33   #134
Senior - BHPian

I don't how I missed this thread and its interesting discussions . Anyways here I'm. Anyone wants my inputs? That'll make 2 for each side in the DI Turbo Vs CRDe battle

As pointed out rightly by sriku, buying a vehicle is 40-60 decision and one should be happy with their choice.

Reasons I bought the Bolero
  1. Go anywhere vehicle
  2. Vast and very helpful Service network.
Reasons I bought the VLX
  1. I like certain amount of power in my cars and the VLX provided just that.
  2. I found the SLX sluggish with my driving style.
  3. I'm a sucker for technology and having known diesel engines up close for the last 7 years of my life, I decided to invest on the CRDe.
As also pointed out by Sriku, there is nothing called a free lunch and keeping with that ethos, the VLX is more expensive and has a higher running cost as well. But at the end of the day it does bring a smile on your face.

I think to me this counts the most!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
There is a problem with one of the brake valves. In slow speed the brake is too sharp. Tends to lock. Dealer has promised to replace it free of cost ones the spare arrives.
I also have the same problem, but the spring is there in mine. This locking happens all of a sudden. I have been living with it as I thought there might be something wrong with my braking. The entire M&M team had once checked it and rectified the other brake related problems that were there. Need to get this checked before the trip!

P.s: Anybody any ideas on how to get the CRDe pick up and DI mileage from one engine?
Old 18th August 2009, 17:24   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
P.s: Anybody any ideas on how to get the CRDe pick up and DI mileage from one engine?
Well, here's my input:

- On long drives (or whenever possible) switch off the A.C. Think about installing a small revolving fan ( yup, you heard it right) in the cabin.
- Drive at a sustained top speed (STS) of 90-100 kmph on long drives. This might not go well with an aggressive driver like you but this is very simple since I've noticed that generally very few people on the roads are able to keep up a sustained speed -- they'll allow their speed to drop either due to mental fatigue, fear, poor decision-making, handling qualities of their vehicle etc.

Most Viewed