Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2009, 11:01   #61
BHPian

Hey Shankar - glad to hear your reassuring words. So its not a problem with Bolero but turbo lag of CRDe engines in general. I got to rev it up

Yes - M2Di is getting popular day by day. Been noticing quite a few in the highways. Strangely - never seen a single one in showroom being marketed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i find I have to shift considerably earlier in the Crde turbo Scorp before taking a hairpin bend for example. only then once the revs pickup, am i easily able to chug up the hill.
Old 28th January 2009, 11:10   #62
BHPian

You are welcome jp1 - Overall I am happy with my purchase. It is still a good buy. For me its a successful upgrade. I think its VFM though most think its too pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Thank you again for the long drive report. Overall sounds a good package (except the price). I drove many times to Ooty and other high ranges, but found my Bolero with XDP is a pleasure to drive on the hills. But the CRDe is short of the torque at 3rd gear as per your experience. That is disappointing.
Old 28th January 2009, 11:21   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
DI Turbo. For the very reason you have observed, and also the fact that there is much less that can go wrong with this one vis-a-vis the CRDe!
As a DI Turbo owner I too vote for the DI. But then i haven't driven the CRDE yet. Just came back from a pleasant 2000 Km trip. My cruising speed was 90-100kmph. The overtaking is not that bad as long as you don't overtake like those cabbies and bus drivers. Keep it in the powerband and you'll enjoy it.
Old 28th January 2009, 11:37   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
thats one reason why taxi drivers prefer the older turbo to the crde one - they are generally lazy to shift and prefer to use higher gears more than the lower ones I ve found.
That's not the only reason, LOL!
Most of them are very wary of the many sensors and the complicated nature of the CRDe engine. And aren't they right?
Now if a similar vehicle is sold by Toyota, they'd go for it!
A lot of them have taken such a shine to the Tavera!

C'mon, let's face it: these taxi drivers have a 'gut' feeling that gets them to put their money on the right product! Hence also: Scorpio M2DI.

Last edited by anupmathur : 28th January 2009 at 11:38.
Old 28th January 2009, 11:56   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
As a DI Turbo owner I too vote for the DI. But then i haven't driven the CRDE yet. Just came back from a pleasant 2000 Km trip. My cruising speed was 90-100kmph. The overtaking is not that bad as long as you don't overtake like those cabbies and bus drivers. Keep it in the powerband and you'll enjoy it.
Nice to see a few DI owners speaking up for their babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
Hi Red Liner

I have driven the present DI extensively too. Close friend of mine have it. It behaves very similar to the older IDI (XDP). Tad noisy but excellent mileage. It climbs hills as effortlessly as the XDP. In you are ready to compromise little bit on highway overtaking then go for it. Either way - they are not that slow too.

This is where I climbed up effortlessly on the DI SLX - "This is where I belong" on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Superb pictures! 17kmpl!!! Thats mindblowing. I should stop worrying about the resale values of this car considering M&M have shot themselves in their foot by launching a blood thirsty CRDE version and glad to see that the lugging capacity is good on this vehicle.

Quote:
Most of them are very wary of the many sensors and the complicated nature of the CRDe engine. And aren't they right?

C'mon, let's face it: these taxi drivers have a 'gut' feeling that gets them to put their money on the right product! Hence also: Scorpio M2DI.
Thats a fair assumption. Anup, if you dont mind me asking, which gen Bolero do you own (if you do?)
Old 29th January 2009, 07:45   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

yup I buy your point.
I would be wary of fording streams or mid-deep water in my scorp crde but I have done so without a care in my old gen XD3PU Bolero,only taking care to keep my engine revs higher than normal and in First gear only.
Crde is all very well but theres a lot to be said for that basic Diesel chugger of an engine.

Quote:

Old 29th January 2009, 07:55   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thats a fair assumption. Anup, if you dont mind me asking, which gen Bolero do you own (if you do?)
Red, I do not own a Bolero. Wish I could! And NOT the CRDe!

I use a 4WD Scorpio, 2.6 CRDe and although I have not had any problem with it I do not feel as free to go as I please in the mountains as I would've felt with a Bolero 4WD! Win some, lose some!
Old 6th February 2009, 18:53   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Rocky,

can you tell us a little bit about the steering feel at higher speeds on the CRDE Storm? Is it the same as the earlier versions? (read: vague + dangerous).
Old 6th February 2009, 20:04   #69
BHPian

I feel the same in both - quite confident. No way vague or dangerous. Am not sure how it feels on cars. Can you give me any specific comparison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Rocky,

can you tell us a little bit about the steering feel at higher speeds on the CRDE Storm? Is it the same as the earlier versions? (read: vague + dangerous).
Old 6th February 2009, 20:13   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Okay, then you are used to it. The bolero steering supposedly provides the same feedback at lower and higher speeds. So at high speeds the steering is extremely twitchy. Whats your feedback?
Old 16th February 2009, 16:54   #71
BHPian

"Mileage"

OK Guys - am getting 8kmpl in city and 11 in highway. Completed 2200km. Hopefully it will improve a bit after 1st service (5000km). Another thing I have noticed is - its using more engine coolant compared to my older one. Is it a CRDe feature or new engine?
Old 16th February 2009, 22:08   #72
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, I drive my Bolero SLX a lot on single carriageway highways here in North India, it has a DI turbo engine, but I never found it gasping for power or out of breath while overtaking. Even with the A/C on the power seems to be quite adequate.
Old 16th February 2009, 22:23   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have the DI engine in my MM540. Until about 90 kmph, it does fine, and I noticed that upto 90, I can keep up with more modern diesels. After 90 kmph the engine kind of maxes out and starts to strain.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:05   #74
BHPian

Hi desertfox

I had a Bolero GLX with IDI engine. I won't call it "gasping for power or out of breath " but.. say a slow truck at 40 - 50kmph. I approach it at 80kmph - slow down - tail it - let the opposite vehicle pass thru - and then I wanna overtake - but there is one more vehicle approaching . In this scenerio I found the Bolero slow. even down shifting does not help

Or say the approachin vehicle is at visual distance but fast - I don't feel confident overtakin the truck.

No offence to you or anyone with Bolero - but I feel even Maruti 800 is faster then my older Bolero in overtaking.

But now with CRDe - I can do it easily and confidently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Honestly, I drive my Bolero SLX a lot on single carriageway highways here in North India, it has a DI turbo engine, but I never found it gasping for power or out of breath while overtaking. Even with the A/C on the power seems to be quite adequate.
Old 12th March 2009, 19:48   #75
BHPian

Engine Coolant issue solved

Hi Bhpians

I have solved the issue of disappearing coolant. Our friends at Mahindra didn't fill the radiator to the brim when delivering the vehicle. I have filled it and now the level of coolant in the reservoir is stable.

One more update. The OEM wheel wrench had more play. I got it replaced in the showroom

Most Viewed