Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 21:44   #166
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
My Q remains - Will Pete's box be of any help here?
Yes it will. The swift with the DDiS has a more conservative base map and the pete's boosts that to 90bhp.

The linea probably has a slightly aggressive map thanks to the VGT which reduces the lag and probably allows you to go higher on boost.

With the pete's the Linea will definitely be a lot more sprightly.
Old 19th January 2009, 22:26   #167
Senior - BHPian

Had a Linea MJD Emotion TD on saturday and sunday with my family in VST motors Anna Nagar.
They have only Emotion in Display and no Emotion Pack :(
It looks very big than other comparative cars especially in C segment.
The Wheel cap is looking good and seems like Alloys only, though a slight difference.
Interior is good and neat.as said by many the rear seat is little bit cumbersome in leg space but can be seated three easily.
yes rear headroom is not enough for 6+ height people.
Driver seat position is not so good and takes time to arrive the good position.
Plastics in this lever are fragile.some plastics below the steering wheel.
just i pulled it and got the piece in hand
rest is good and my family members are very much liked the car in both Interior and Exterior.
Remote key is looking nice.
Once started the engine,there was a good vibration and settled after few seconds.
the power was not good.felt like stranded to pull all the passengers on board.
once it reached above 2000 rpm the car was pulling like a dream.
But the car is ok for city as well as highway ride.
we can't do drag race with people.but do a good and safe navigation with family.
This is the car for people who are looking for a family sedan.
I am thinking of booking a car especially Linea Emotion pack MJD in Medium Gray.

if any one has idea about Pete's box for Linea MJD VGT.let me know

Last edited by aks_karthik : 19th January 2009 at 22:30.
Old 20th January 2009, 09:04   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@abhim23 - you would also want to read the "Dynolicious" thread.
Thanks a lot BaCkSeAtDrIVeR, my freind has an iPhone I will try this out very soon and post the results.
Old 20th January 2009, 13:17   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Yes it will. The swift with the DDiS has a more conservative base map and the pete's boosts that to 90bhp.

The linea probably has a slightly aggressive map thanks to the VGT which reduces the lag and probably allows you to go higher on boost.

With the pete's the Linea will definitely be a lot more sprightly.
if you compare engine'1s torque and bhp curve after pete's box. most of the torque is delivered in higher rpm, with almost no or minimal torque at lower revs.

have more torque at higher rpms results in more bhp figure, but i think it would kill the fun of driving a diesel in city. where you can have lot of torque in lower revs.
Old 20th January 2009, 15:46   #170
BHPian

Disclaimer: I am claiming anticipatory bail on the quality of my technical review of the Fiat Linea based on the test drive I took. I am certainly not well versed with motoring tech-jargon and therefore request all readers to overlook any lapses (nonsense) they may notice in my review.

Showroom: Kulathunkal Motors, Trivandrum
Variant of Fiat Linea test driven: Emotion – Diesel
Duration of test drive: 25 minutes

Type of roads driven on: Uphill, narrow, winding, generously potholed, smooth, speed breakers.

Review

I spent some time at the showroom going through the Emotion+ model that was on display, while I was waiting for my turn at the wheel of the designated test drive vehicle – Emotion. On talking with the sales executive, I voiced my concern that Fiat still had a poor image regarding after sales and service. Wanting to dispel fears, he offered to take me around to the service centre – a 3 storey facility, which if nothing else, looked impressive. What was good to notice was that FIAT had an exclusive section allotted for service of vehicles of its make. There were also engineers and technicians specifically allotted for FIAT service. On the whole, the walk around left me with a good impression. Now to the car in question.

Exteriors

The car looks spectacular in the metal. The photos that I had seen on the net prior to seeing the actual car really did not do much justice to the vehicle. On close observation, it seems that the exterior accounts for a big chunk of the actual body length. The chrome grill and the Multijet badge all look good.

The car in profile has to, for the time being and for the lack of superlatives, be described in one word – B-E-A-utiful. Flowing lines, not one of which is out of place, simply accentuate the stunning curves of this vehicle. Refusal to compromise on the integrity of the exterior design, possibly could have affected interior space, but for me, FIAT did good as far as cars looks were concerned.

The rear of the car has a stately presence, not something I would expect on a C segment car. It had the look that I would associate with a Ford Crown Victoria or a Chevrolet Caprice SS. The car certainly is easy on the eyes, unlike the abomination in design that is, the Swift Dzire, which looks like a guy doubled over after taking a serious hit to the family jewels.

The outside rear view mirrors are of the appropriate size and beautiful (Sorry for sounding like a broken record player).

Interiors

The common complaint I read on the forums was that interiors were cramped in this car. Just to confirm, I got into the driver’s seat and adjusted the seat backwards to what was extremely comfortable. The backrest of the front seat was behind the B pillar in this position. Then, I got out and sat behind the driver’s seat, my knees were just touching the seat in front. Oh, and for the record, I am all of 6 feet and 2 inches, weighing in at 110 kilograms.

Rear headroom being the next big concern, I felt that unless you fall into the 6 feet + category, you would not face much issues. Yes, my head was touching the roof. Not a concern though, because I don’t ever intend to be in any seat other than that of the driver in a Linea.

Seats are comfy enough, though lack of Leather on top variants may irk some. The plastics look good. One complaint I had, was with the glove compartment, which seemed a little too tight to open and close. The small spaces such as that provided for a mobile phone are quite good. The arm rest with a small compartment in it was also a good tough.

The dials look very nice. I for one have not seen the silver and white combination previously and thought it looked very much in place. The front console contains the boot lid opener, emergency lamps switch as well as the fog lamps switch. I am not quite sure where the fuel lid opener was. The built in stereo seems well integrated. The usage of black, silver and beige through the interiors is well matched. Some of the plastics, such as those on the seat adjustment controls and the seat belt receiving piece could have been a bit better. But, on the whole, the interior package of the Linea is very good.

The controls for the turning signals and wipers being mixed up do take a bit of getting used to.

Ride and handling

This is perhaps the forte of the FIAT Linea. The ride is luxurious, so comfortable that most potholes are never felt. Even the really huge craters are comfortable negotiated. I took the car through quite a rough patch of road at varying speeds and was left nothing short of impressed.

Ground clearance was another concern and therefore I tried taking on a few speed breakers at a pace slightly faster than what would be advocated. The Linea came through this challenge unscathed and with flying colours. The jumps never felt uncomfortable and the underside was not touched.

Handling is great, with the car feeling planted. It is not scared of being thrown into corners and negotiated fairly sharp corners extremely well at speeds of about 70 kmph.

The steering makes your hands feel like it was meant to be. The most comfortable steering I have used. It is very responsive and surprisingly light and great enhances ease of driving. Lack of telescopic adjustment though is a disappointment.

Brakes

The brakes are extremely responsive. No nonsense stuff, good retardation, and no loss of control. Quite reassuring.

Engine / Performance

Ah yes. The big 84 bhp question. The 1st and 2nd gears do seem to suffer from lack of torque at low revs, but once 3rd is engaged, the drive improves a lot. The revs seem to be a major issue here as the turbo seems to engage only at revs in excess of about 2300 rpm. I was not able to completely open the Linea up as the drive took place during evening rush hour and even the highway did not offer much opportunity to cut loose. Over the short distances that I did raise the speeds over, I felt that gears 3 and 4 offered the chance of comfortable acceleration, although those who would prefer the effect of switching on the afterburners on an F-16 would probably vouch for the Verna over this vehicle.

The car, to me felt, calm, safe, reassuring, probably not exactly what the speed demons are yearning for. However, based on how this car has been positioned, on price, economy and feel, I believe that FIAT is actually not targeting the Schumi wannabes, at least not with current variants of the Linea. That thirst may be something that FIAT may quench in future variants of the Linea or even with the Bravo. Linea targets the janta that is looking for a luxurious ride at value for money costs. Add in D segment looks, great ride and handling, at C- segment prices; the positioning of this vehicle becomes clearer. Linea is essentially built to cater as a family sedan, where 0-100 kmph numbers don’t really mean much. Whereas, if you want to touch higher speeds, the Linea, does not really feel out of breath or incapable of doing so, its just that it will take its own sweet time. My view on this – I like the engine, as it curbs my tendency to move into rampage mode the second the lights turn green and somehow gives me a reassuring feeling (Not sure why though?).

Price

The FIAT Linea Emotion + is Rs. 9.02 lakhs on the road in Trivandrum. That represents total Value for Money to me, given its features.

Verdict

Yes, I love the car. It probably does not cater to power enthusiasts, but I believe they should get over it and stop claiming that the car was built disappointingly, and try to understand that the customer profile that FIAT is targeting with this vehicle is slightly different. Looking for a car with luxurious ride, superb handling, and wallet friendly economy at value for money prices? The Linea might just be the answer to your question.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th January 2009 at 18:37. Reason: Removed Size & font tags which makes the post unreadable
Old 20th January 2009, 17:18   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
if you compare engine'1s torque and bhp curve after pete's box. most of the torque is delivered in higher rpm, with almost no or minimal torque at lower revs.

have more torque at higher rpms results in more bhp figure, but i think it would kill the fun of driving a diesel in city. where you can have lot of torque in lower revs.
Does that implies Pete's box wont be of much help in 1st and 2nd gear which i feel is the Sad point of car?
Old 20th January 2009, 17:31   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Does that implies Pete's box wont be of much help in 1st and 2nd gear which i feel is the Sad point of car?
its true ... the linea achieves maximum torque at 2500. My 2005 NA indica achieves it at the same rpm level.
if you look at modern Crde engined cars. Innova has it from 1400 to 3400. Xylo has it from 1800 to 3000. Vista has it from 1750. Swift DDis has it from 2000.
i think FIAT engineers have wasted the Variable geometry turbine (if it is there).
i don't not know what kind of torque figures are there for linea in the 1500-2500 range. but i think it would have been really a great car to drive if the FIAT engineer have given it a peak torque at 1750-3000 rpm range. That would have provided great in gear acceleration.
I seriously hope the TATA puts in a proper VGT 1.3 QJD engine in the new indigo vista, which is able to achieve its peak torque at 1750 or even less and able to sustain it for 1500 Rpms.
Old 20th January 2009, 17:39   #173
BHPian

went to prerna motors sarjapur road and had a first hand look at fiat linea . It was top end emotions diesel variant. Petrol version would be available by end of jan or first week of feb. I was not sure whether to buy ANHC or linea and well after having a look at linea my mind is very clear. My suggestion to all those people who were / are confused like me . Please go ahead and have a first hand look at linew with your own eyes and have a test drive all your doubts would fade away. Though linea offers who loads of things which ANHC doesnt i somehow felt ANHC is a winner by miles.

Linea looked too rounded and though it will make some head turn but not because of its design but only because its new in market. However ANHC will make your head turn purely because of its design and impressive grill..If we talk about looks and design and grill i feel fiesta s looks way better than linea

I know linea will have its admirers but when compared to ANHC there is no way Linea will beat ANHC on any front except pricing. top end linea on road price in bangalore would come around 8 27 laks however for ANHC it is 10 + which is very very expensive . If price kept aside and we compare these two cars based on features and design i feel ANHC wins hands down. But again thats just me and like me . Have a look at the car TD it and then go ahead and suit yourself.
Old 20th January 2009, 18:08   #174
BHPian

great review Robc, felt the same when I test drove it
Old 20th January 2009, 23:00   #175
BHPian

Took test drive of Linea Emotion on 17/01/2009
First impression: The car looks classy. A real stunner. The salesperson missed my house and called me. I took peek from the balcony and she went ahead in the lane to the next crossing but at daylight on a busy road I could spot her from back among a lot of cars from far away.

The Drive:
Performance: Very stable car. Took her to bad patches at three digit speed which unsettles my dzire ZDI easily but Linea took that with aplomb. Fast lane change is a piece of cake. It will take a real idiot to unsettle the car. The pickup is good but felt almost at par with my dzire. I expected a bit more pick up with VGT and 11 BHP and 20 NM torque extra. The car according to spec is 200 KG heavier which may be the reason. The noise inside was at par with dzire. My expectation was more silent cabin as it is FIAT.

The features:
The emotion (without the emotion pack) is having following things extra than my dzire
1. Rear curtain: A nice thing
2. TRIP computer
3. Much better sound system with USB support
4. Front arm rest
5. Power mirror: A real need in city while parallel parking
6. Rear ac vent
7. Pollen filter
8. Power trunk opener (I don’t think much of a utility)
9. Lockable tray under driver seat ( a real nice feature to store your valuables when the wash guy washes the car or when you give your car to valet parking)
10. Dead pedal for left foot( though the positioning is so awkward that big footed guys will keep scratching the dashboard and will find it very inconvenient, I was expecting a better layout esp as my old beloved uno was the first car in india to have a dead pedal even before Mercs in India had those)
But it lacked following more important things from dzire ZDI being 1 lakh more expensive
1. Airbags
2. ABS
3. Alloy wheels

The dislikes:
The trunk is huge but the opening area of trunk is a bit awkward. I am sure to put big luggage in the trunk can be much of a effort compared to dzire. And the rear bumper can get scratched easily while loading heavy stuffs. The ground clearance is not great and you have to be extra careful. It has sump guard but that itself a threat. I bumped my Octavia once on speed breaker and the sump gurad got bent and broken the timing pulley. Some FIAT like problems like only front passenger door has a small plastic piece in the place of where some cars have door locks which comes off easily and am sure would give a real pain to find the replacement and would always haunt the owner.
The likes:
Brakes are very effective even without ABS. Car is very poised and controlled under heavy braking. While on high beam the low beam remains on which is great think on dark highways. The driving position is very comfortable and gives a sportier feel. The build quality is much more solid than the dzire ( ok ok I know …..it should be …Maruti is Maruti). Rear seats are nice places to be in. Very well contoured.
Old 21st January 2009, 09:47   #176
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sinhsha,

The Linea emotion doesn't have USB and have ABS as standard but no Airbag.
Lockable tray under driver seat is new to me.
any how i'll check it today
Old 21st January 2009, 10:09   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
its true ... the linea achieves maximum torque at 2500. My 2005 NA indica achieves it at the same rpm level.
if you look at modern Crde engined cars. Innova has it from 1400 to 3400. Xylo has it from 1800 to 3000. Vista has it from 1750. Swift DDis has it from 2000.
Umm, should we not consider the torque curve instead of discussing just the peak values?
Old 21st January 2009, 10:37   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frown View Post
However ANHC will make your head turn purely because of its design and impressive grill.

If price kept aside and we compare these two cars based on features and design i feel ANHC wins hands down.
ANHC will also turn heads because of its price. Inappropriately expensive cars do turn heads.

If engine kept aside and the subjective look also aside, in what parameters do ANHC win hands down over Linea? Can you be very specific for others to benefit from your knowledge? Is it ride, handling, comfort, space, material quality, reliability, or features? At least Linea wins on features. That can be confirmed on paper itself. What else?
Old 21st January 2009, 10:49   #179
BHPian

Had a Test Drive of 1.3 Diesel (multi jet) Here are my some of the observations

1) Know its a diesel car, the moment you turn on the ignition. The engine noise creeps inside.
2) I think 1.3 is a small engine, and feel totally underpowered.
3) Lacked power, with A/C at is fullest, to give a good pickup from the halt state.
4) Gearbox is light and smooth.
5) Couldn't take her beyond 80, but the engine rubles a lot at that speed.
6) Although 15 Inch, and 195/60, was a bit scared on cornering.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:18   #180
Senior - BHPian

Could anyone throw some light on this:-

1. How does Linea MJD perform compared to Fiesta TDCI. I know Linea is heavier but still compared to Fiesta's 68 bhp TDCI ??
2. Many reviews say that only after 2000 rpm the torque kicks in.Comments?

No TD with my dealer yet. according to him the TD car will be available tom.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks