Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 11:49   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju_kp View Post
I spoke to a sales person (lady) at Concorde Motors Ambattur. They have a petrol Linea for test drive. She informed me that Petrol will give 11 in City and around 15 in highway. But one other document which was posted to one of the threads here claims that 12.9 / 18.

I am confused now. Any body who has access to Petrol Linea, please comment.
Hi! I took the TD of petrol linea 3 times in last week here in Ahmedabad. The in built trip meter showed 11.7/12.3/11.3 average on these 3 occasions. I have already ordered a black E+ diesel and after thoroughly calculating my costing for finance etc. The price difference between a petrol and diesel E+ in Ahmedabad is about Rs. 1 lakh. I just continued with my choice to go for a diesel one as per following calculation.
My average monthly run is about 1200 Kms in pure city driving conditions.
So,
Petrol - 1200/12=100 litres of petrol*Rs.43.77=Rs.4377/month
Diesel - 1200/15=60 litres of diesel*Rs.35.40=Rs.2832/month
Difference is Rs.1545/month
Now, my finance is at 11% reducing, which turns out to be Rs2174/lakh/month for 60 months. So just at Rs.650 more I am going for the time tested MJD engine which is going to attract higher resale price also in future. And consider this - This is just for 1200 Kms/month. Anything more is going to save more!
So, that's simple calculation to go for diesel E+ in my case!
Old 6th February 2009, 13:38   #332
BHPian

WOW, finally the wait is over...

@ajitsank,

I have no words to describe how I am feeling now ,

My options before the Linea arrived were Fiesta and SX4, and being a Maruti customer for the last 13 years I am very very biased(honest). After TD, and a lot of time i felt the SX4 was the best in the C, C+ segment, it has its flaws and definately more than the Linea. Linea cannot be as bad, atleast not as much as you have written.

I am sorry man, I suspect your report is really fishy, I can smell it all the way in Hyderabad. Please prove us all wrong.

Can you let us know which dealership? what version? and get us more details of the car.

P.S. Damn I just noticed you are right here in secundrabad, dude tell me which dealership has petrol available for TD, I can go clear the doubt myself.

Cheers

Last edited by downsouth : 6th February 2009 at 13:41. Reason: Mistake in
Old 6th February 2009, 14:07   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post

8. Alloy Wheels: Linea has 4 Alloy Wheels, the 5th and spare tyre is a steel.
Most cars will come in that configuration. It's nothing new. Even high end mercs, etc will have a steel spare wheel rim.

BMWs didn't want to offer spare tyres after introduction of the run flats.

And about the hydraulic power steering, i personally think that hydraulic steering wheels are more fun and give more feedback.
Old 6th February 2009, 14:43   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
@ajitsank,

I have no words to describe how I am feeling now ,

My options before the Linea arrived were Fiesta and SX4, and being a Maruti customer for the last 13 years I am very very biased(honest). After TD, and a lot of time i felt the SX4 was the best in the C, C+ segment, it has its flaws and definately more than the Linea. Linea cannot be as bad, atleast not as much as you have written.

I am sorry man, I suspect your report is really fishy, I can smell it all the way in Hyderabad. Please prove us all wrong.

Can you let us know which dealership? what version? and get us more details of the car.

P.S. Damn I just noticed you are right here in secundrabad, dude tell me which dealership has petrol available for TD, I can go clear the doubt myself.

Cheers

What is there fishy about? Do a back to back TD and put in your comments Mate! Period. If you do not feel what I feel then you have your right to your opinion

Call Malik cars for Petrol TD, they will be happy to come running with the car. I have no doubts on the dealer, they are the best in Hyderabad and they have the best sales guys.

Call Now and also do call for a TD of SX4 & please ensure you do a back to back TD. Call a maruti dealer and get and SX4 come over to your place right after you have TD'd Linea.

Then put in your thoughts and observation. As somebody just mentioned I need to do a TD of linea from another dealer, which I am looking forward to doing so.

I would love to hear from you on your back to back TD, if you do not do it back to back then we are assuming.

People are shooting their mouth without doing a back to back TD, come on guys. I am holding to the cheque for Linea. If you put your comments It will make my life easier in giving cheque to Mallik
Old 6th February 2009, 15:41   #335
Senior - BHPian

@ajitsank, while your report goes contrary to many others, it's *your* opinion and others should respect that.

I don't know why everyone is jumping on him. If the car is good on road, it will anyway prove so eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And the source for these impossible FE figures are ? Boss, the kind of petrol-engine FE that you are mentioning are just about achievable by an M800/Alto with an 800cc engine and kerb weight of 600-odd kgs. If you think this kind of FE is extractable from a 1.2 ton car running a 1.4l engine, all I can say is, "Continue dreaming".
If you look at reviews of 1.4L 16v StarJet available internationally, urban FE ranges between 12.5 - 14 for this engine (for GP), highway FE ranges between 18-21 kmpl and combined FE ranges between 15-16 kmpl. Even 120 bhp T-Jet is remarkably frugal and returns similar figures.

I expect drop of 1 or 2 kmpl to match Indian road conditions and added weight of Sedan. Still, the figure looks quite impressive.
Old 6th February 2009, 16:11   #336
Senior - BHPian

@Ajit- Yes your report is in contradiction from many reports however i feel its your opinion and everyone should respect that.
Still as i have heard most good things about petrol Linea(as i have not TD one myself) so would like someone to do a back to back TD for both Linea and SX4. Unfortunately cos of my cramped schedule i cant do it myself.
Old 6th February 2009, 16:40   #337
BHPian

Ajitsank

I suggest you definitely do a back to back test with SX4 using a Linea from the other dealer.

Though I agree on the issue of engine noise intruding in the cabin for Linea the other issues like clutch/ engaging gear/ AC power are strange.

Finally you should put your money on the car you feel comfortable with. It's your money...

Just do a TD again and then decide. SX4 too is a good car with VFM features and you should get a good deal now.

All the best
Old 6th February 2009, 18:03   #338
BHPian

As mentioned in my TD report yday, engine noise does intrude into the cabin. Went for a TD again today after reading Ajit's report (sorry could not do a back-to-back with SX4). The noise level is practically zero at idle, rises when you rev the engine and reduces (but does not go away) at cruising speeds. Backed it up with a drive in a friend's Swift. The Swift engine sounded gruffer than the Linea's and there was noise intrusion in the car. Frankly could not decide in which car the noise was louder.
However based on my "feeling" here is a ranking of the cars (in terms of engine noise intrusion) that I have TDed over the last couple of days.
Aveo >> Linea > Swift >> Civic (pls note the number of greater thans)

However, I could not relate to the other problems faced by Ajit. The AC with 4 people was pretty effective for Mumbai afternoon weather. It did not chill, but i think chilling happens only during evening drives. Gear changing, clutch etc were all smooth both y'day and today.
Old 6th February 2009, 19:39   #339
BHPian

Took the test drive of the MJD Linea yesterday...

With 4 people onboard and AC in auto mode, could take it till a speedo indicated 150kmph without much fuss. Did not try any further after I saw the sales executive clinging for dear life thru the RVM. I felt that it could do atleast 160 going by the overall relaxed feel of the engine.

One major observation was that the car felt very skittish after 120kmph. I wouldnt call the feeling all-over-the-road but was not very confidence inspiring.

I've driven the European MJD Linea well over 160kmph extensively and never felt this bouncy behavior. Also I regularly take my Indigo over the same roads at speeds above 130 and I can say that the Indigo was much more well-planted on the road than the TD Linea.

Did anyone feel this during their test drives?

Thanks to Autofin, Hyderabad, this was a well marked TD car unlike a few other dealers who give unregistered vehicles for TD.
Old 6th February 2009, 19:51   #340
BHPian

Ajitsank
just one question
When you changed the AC to Auto, did you set the temperature, or at lest had a look at the temprature reading on the console?
Old 6th February 2009, 21:03   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
Ajitsank
just one question
When you changed the AC to Auto, did you set the temperature, or at lest had a look at the temprature reading on the console?
The temperature was set to 16. There is one more point I forgot to make in my observation was that the blower makes a lot of sound.
Old 6th February 2009, 21:37   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
Ajitsank
just one question
To Clarify once again, the AC was already set to Auto and the display showed as 16. I did not do any settings in AC. All i did was when the blower noise was annoying I reduced the blower speed to a lower speed to decrease the annoying sound.

Somebody has pointed that I had mentioned about problem in clutch. What I meant was when compared to an SX4, In Linea the clutch push is a long drawn out affair, while in SX4 the clutch is got a short press, before one can change gears.
Old 7th February 2009, 10:51   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post
Somebody has pointed that I had mentioned about problem in clutch. What I meant was when compared to an SX4, In Linea the clutch push is a long drawn out affair, while in SX4 the clutch is got a short press, before one can change gears.
It may not a problem but it can be the one of the characteristics of Linea. All of the fiat cars are having a long clutch travel compared to others. I had a 118NE and having a Palio which both needs almost fully depressed clutch for a smooth gear change. In 118NE with 3/4 clutch you could change gear with gear sllipping noise. Palio doesn't even allow you to slot the gear properly in between half clutch and 3/4 clutch.

I have not yet taken the test ride for Linea, so I cannot comment on the same.
Old 7th February 2009, 16:27   #344
BHPian

hey ajit...
i dont know but something is really wrong with the car that you td.
i have driven both the versions and found the petrol to be absolutely noiseless.
either something is wrong with the car or something is wrong with you dude.
i have driven the sx4 too and its really a good car but it does have its share of problems.city driving is a bit tiring because of the constant gear changes that one has to indulge in and a lot of sx4s are suffering from suspension problems with in 20000 kms.
Old 7th February 2009, 19:39   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
hey ajit...
i dont know but something is really wrong with the car that you td.
i have driven both the versions and found the petrol to be absolutely noiseless.
either something is wrong with the car or something is wrong with you dude.
i have driven the sx4 too and its really a good car but it does have its share of problems.city driving is a bit tiring because of the constant gear changes that one has to indulge in and a lot of sx4s are suffering from suspension problems with in 20000 kms.
I have no words for your observation. It is pointless to talk if you have not done a back to back TD. Please do so and put in a report for all of us in this forum.

Wouldn't people love to have many observations based on back to back TD. As an earlier post mentioned fiat charecterstic is that their needs a longer push to engage gear as compared to an SX4. Now that is a great observation. For people like me it is a great input.

Also another observation in an earlier post mentioned of the engine sound indeed intruding into the cabin in LINEA, now there is somebody who as observed the same.

Now to your other point. You have put in your thought that SX4 suspension fails after 20,000km. Now that is news to me and never had read about that in TEAM-BHP. If you could point me to the forum where people have report suspension failure and gear shifts in city it will be of great help. I searched this forum for both your complaints on SX4 and did not hit upon any report on that.

My decision is hanging between buying a LINEA or SX4. I love both cars and there is no question about it. I love LINEA for many things and I hate it for the observations I had mentioned in my earlier post. It could be a personal observations or maybe the car I TD'd had a problem, by all means I am not a novice.

It would be of great help if SX4 owners in this forum could do a TD of LINEA petrol and put in a non biased report.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks