Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2009, 15:12   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
As for Diesel being cheaper than petrol Man its very , even Dezire is cheaper than City, has almost the same features, and more faster and responsive than Linea. But you cant compare like that.
Well even Indica is cheaper then City. Don't take the words out of context to prove your ridiculous point. This is a situation of two cars from the same segment where the diesel is cheaper then a petrol variant. Anyway, no point arguing or debating because people are getting ridiculous to prove their point.

I know Honda is equal to GOD in India. I only hope that one day Honda picks me to become the priveleged owner of their car. Blessed are you guys that drive a Honda. I can only hope and dream to be in your position.

Quote:
If on the other hand Linea had brought in a relatively equal powered engine like T-Jet 120 bhp (115 bhp for India)
It's a matter of time. With tightening emissions, better quality fuel and more competition, Fiat or any other car maker will have to come out with better variants.

I don't know why you people are getting so touchy. If it wasn't for competition you would still be paying over 11 lakhs for the OHC Vtec and 5 lacs for the old Zen AC/TG with black bumpers.

Last edited by amit : 17th January 2009 at 15:15.
Old 17th January 2009, 15:43   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I know Honda is equal to GOD in India. I only hope that one day Honda picks me to become the priveleged owner of their car. Blessed are you guys that drive a Honda. I can only hope and dream to be in your position.

If it wasn't for competition you would still be paying over 11 lakhs for the OHC Vtec and 5 lacs for the old Zen AC/TG with black bumpers.

Complete agreement, if it was not for this competition and stringent norms, we would still have been shelling a lot from our pocket for most of the cars here.

Even now, I wish some decent pricing and goodies for the new launches
Old 17th January 2009, 23:27   #123
BHPian

TDed the car today. Unfortunately the looks, the handling, the suspension, the features and all the other goodies including the price do not compensate for the utterly underpowered engine. 1.3 is just not good enough, the torque figures are great to read but in reality it takes more effort then my indica (6 year old DLS) to come to life.

It takes ages to reach 80..forget reaching 100. Its sluggish beyond my most feared imagination.

I was waiting for Linea and was ready to buy it today...but with this engine..I am thinking twice...

Make no mistake though; the car as a package is still great VFM..but then even my Indica was the same...VFM is a term that can be applied and reapplied without getting anywhere..VFM really means a compromise a compromise in a C+ segment car is what was proabably missing in the Indian car market..Linea is a solution to this problem...

1.3 MJD VGT is a diesel engine tuned to act like a petrol one....why FIAT why? Why couldn't we just keep it simple and make it act like the turbo on a Swift or even ur own Palio!!

I hope, I pray that the petrol linea will be a better beast!!! God..pl help FIAT, India.

Regards,
A victim of the detuned FIAT fallacy
Old 18th January 2009, 09:40   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Oh I remember that thread very well.

In any case, I have had no major servicing issues with my Petra either. Though Fiat A.S.S. is nowhere near perfect.
I read somewhere that RanjanGaon facility will be used for exporting spares to Europe & South American market, and I am sure that with MJD engines there in almost 4-5 cars in India, procuring mechanical parts will not be a problem in coming future.
Old 18th January 2009, 09:46   #125
BHPian

Hmmm, after reading all these reviews of Linea, it appears Linea is another i20

I think the year 2009 will be remembered for cars launches with underpowered engines. I know palio 1.1 and getz 1.1 were the 1st underpowered engines but they were not new car launches.

With fuel prices all set to go down further, what a stupid strategy from car manufacturers!
Old 18th January 2009, 09:57   #126
BANNED

OHC lived its generation (1997~2003). Its was taken off even it was selling and NHC was introduced.
NHC (2003~2008) raised the bar in comfort, FE. It lived in its time to the fullest. It was succeded by ANHC, even when NHC was topping the sales charts, month after month. ANHC (2008~2013?) has raised the bar again by offering Airbags/ABS standard across all variants.

Honda replaces its model in about 4~5years.

So your information about OHC being replaced due to competition offering better option is wrong.

I think you were referring to other manufactures, who hang to a model for decades (Esteem, Ikon, Accent, Lancer, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
If it wasn't for competition you would still be paying over 11 lakhs for the OHC Vtec
Old 18th January 2009, 10:10   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
OHC lived its generation (1997~2003). Its was taken off even it was selling and NHC was introduced.
NHC (2003~2008) raised the bar in comfort, FE. It lived in its time to the fullest. It was succeded by ANHC, even when NHC was topping the sales charts, month after month. ANHC (2008~2013?) has raised the bar again by offering Airbags/ABS standard across all variants.

So your information about OHC being replaced due to competition offering better option is wrong.

I think you were referring to other manufactures, who hang to a model for decades (Esteem, Ikon, Accent, Lancer, etc).
of course I am wrong. I am so sorry for all my posts. How could someone like me question and doubt Honda's credentials? Honda is the most perfect and angelic company in the world. We should all be thankful to Honda for giving us an oppurtunity to expereince their marvelous cars. Unfortunately I haven't got that chance yet. I only hope and pray that someday Honda picks me to expereince their cars. Someday I hope I will have enough courage to walk into a Honda dealership and talk to the dealers and take a look at their products. I would also like to be dumbstruck at their supremely innovative, brilliant and technologially superior cars.

Last edited by amit : 18th January 2009 at 10:12.
Old 18th January 2009, 10:43   #128
BHPian

amit bhai! kallakki . hehe .

cant stop laughing. haha
Old 18th January 2009, 10:44   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is true. As soon as a new model is available in the international market, Honda seems to introduce it in India without any delay, and not rely on local market compulsions. Honda's strategy is not to be in 'reactive mode' but take up the early inititive to stay much ahead in the game.

Last edited by Guna : 18th January 2009 at 10:52.
Old 18th January 2009, 10:51   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wah reh wah! Hondaaaaaa...dmire!

And Amit .
Old 18th January 2009, 11:51   #131

Linea, is it really low on performance?

I don't understand why everybody is so worked up on FL (Fiat Linea) being a poor performer, I did a quick math and came up with these statistics (All figures from ACI Dec issue).

But first please answer a question for me , here are the performance figures for FL in ACI.
0-60 in 6.12
60 -80 (3rd gear) in 3.25
80-100 (4th gear) in 4.56
6.12+3.25+4.56=13.93
the why does ACI reports 15.04 for 0-100, am I missing something?

And now the comparison, I will assume 0-100 for FL to be 13.93 till someone clarifies things.

Car | 0-100 | 20-80 in 3rd | 40-100 in 4th
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fiat Linea | 13.93 | 11.86 | 13.64
Optra Magnum | 10.90 | 12.80 | 14.90
Hyundai Verna | 12.07 | 12.52 | 16.75
Skoda Octavia | 13.49 | 12.90 | 25.30
Scorpio mHawk | 14.88 | 12.13 | 14.61

Now as you can see in the figures, in gear of FL is better than all and 0-100 close to the rest except for Optra. I have read a couple of comments in this forum like xylo will leave it dead in it's track or octavia is way faster, after reading these figures, do you really think so??
Old 18th January 2009, 12:05   #132
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Linea yesterday here at showroom at New bombay. Must say that car from exterior's does look expensive type, with classic styling which suits more expensive luxury cars. However I feel the flowing curves all around does hide and makes you feel that the car has less width then mentioned on paper. Those Headlights one of the beautiful one's I have seen in recent times. Those rear tail lamp felt had an uncanny resemblance to the older Sonata. On the inside, the car is roomier and good amount of width, legroom Good enough too. However driving position was not upto the mark. Couldn't find the ideal position for driving, also coz the steering is only tilt and not reach adjustment. I am 6' and 90 kgs So atleast for me getting to best suitable position was difficult.
Now the Dissappointing part, as soon as I started the car and slotted the gear and accelerated the car added noise coming from the engine, apart from the engine noisy which I founded noisy and quite rough sound. Every time I accelerated there was unusual squeaking noise coming from the engine and this happened in every gear. When pointed out to the sales person, had no idea whats it about. Also, had some rattling noise coming from near the gear console and the back too. The only reply he gave that there are 45-50 test drive happening every day and could be coz of that. Now with just 700 kms on the odo I don't something like this expected, quite frankly was really put off with this. I have had fiat palio 1.6 for 3 years and some how it reminded me back of those days where I had felt quite a few problem including the front suspension. But din't feel that great driving experience here with linea, I had with the palio.
For one the ride was just Awesome, nothing like you would find in anyother 10lakh car. But, some how din't get the feel of being connected to the road, the steering good to hold but it felt as if I am steering the whale, doesn't give that feel and of being connected. The dashboard layout was also not so great near the screen for driving. The gear too felt quite notchy. And not sleek like Hondas and Skoda's or even the swift.
I drive a Fabia diesel which feel has better pick up than that of linea. Also, having remap on my fabia, the car felt super quick once I got back to it after the test drive.
In the end the car does make sense for anyone who wants to be chauffer driven, wants to be comfertable at back side with good thigh support, wants to have feature rich car with that amazing blue and me, wants to enjoy the ride at the back with few occasional long trips and that boot which can swallow any amount of luggage thrown in. I feel its a good value for money car than.

Will be test driving the new city today. Will post the details of that soon.

Last edited by Invinsible : 18th January 2009 at 12:13.
Old 18th January 2009, 12:22   #133
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Linea yesterday here at showroom at New bombay. Must say that car from exterior's does look expensive type, with classic styling which suits more expensive luxury cars. However I feel the flowing curves all around does hide and makes you feel that the car has less width then mentioned on paper. Those Headlights one of the beautiful one's I have seen in recent times. Those rear tail lamp felt had an uncanny resemblance to the older Sonata. On the inside, the car is roomier and good amount of width, legroom Good enough too. However driving position was not upto the mark. Couldn't find the ideal position for driving, also coz the steering is only tilt and not reach adjustment. I am 6' and 90 kgs So atleast for me getting to best suitable position was difficult.
Now the Dissappointing part, as soon as I started the car and slotted the gear and accelerated the car added noise coming from the engine, apart from the engine noisy which I founded noisy and quite rough sound. Every time I accelerated there was unusual squeaking noise coming from the engine and this happened in every gear. When pointed out to the sales person, had no idea whats it about. Also, had some rattling noise coming from near the gear console and the back too. The only reply he gave that there are 45-50 test drive happening every day and could be coz of that. Now with just 700 kms on the odo I don't something like this expected, quite frankly was really put off with this. I have had fiat palio 1.6 for 3 years and some how it reminded me back of those days where I had felt quite a few problem including the front suspension. But din't feel that great driving experience here with linea, I had with the palio.
For one the ride was just Awesome, nothing like you would find in anyother 10lakh car. But, some how din't get the feel of being connected to the road, the steering good to hold but it felt as if I am steering the whale, doesn't give that feel and of being connected. The dashboard layout was also not so great near the screen for driving. The gear too felt quite notchy. And not sleek like Hondas and Skoda's or even the swift.
I drive a Fabia diesel which feel has better pick up than that of linea. Also, having remap on my fabia, the car felt super quick once I got back to it after the test drive.
In the end the car does make sense for anyone who wants to be chauffer driven, wants to be comfertable at back side with good thigh support, wants to have feature rich car with that amazing blue and me, wants to enjoy the ride at the back with few occasional long trips and that boot which can swallow any amount of luggage thrown in. I feel its a good value for money car than.

Will be test driving the new city today. Will post the details of that soon.
Old 18th January 2009, 12:24   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhim23 View Post
I don't understand why everybody is so worked up on FL (Fiat Linea) being a poor performer
The FL is not a poor performer per se but it does feel sluggish compared to the car most people expect it to compete with ergo the ANHC.
Old 18th January 2009, 12:48   #135
BHPian

Test drove the Fiat Linea Emotion Pack (fully loaded; top end version) yesterday..
for starters, i think it is very aggressively priced:-
Fiat Linea Petrol Emotion Pack (fully loaded) is priced at 7.78lacs OTR Pune and the Diesel Emotion Pack (fully loaded) costs 9.01lacs OTR Pune
Anything related to Fiat (whether good or bad) has to go on pages after pages. And this thread is also no exception..A detailed report will follow soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks