Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 17:39   #166
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jk,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
[*]3rd row is good.[*]You can open the 3rd row window..[/list]I drove the E8. It costs 8.4OTR in Tvm. Great buy it is. Would recommend.
Agree with you. Third row is much much more comfortable seatwise and spacewise when compared to Innova.

Length x width x height x wheelbase (mms)

4520 x 1850 x 1895 x 2760 - Xylo
4580 x 1770 x 1775 x 2750 - Innova

Space utilisation inside the Xylo is good.

It is a little difficult to get in and out of the vehicle, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
yes, the front & middle row space is more or less like in a safari, but where the xylo actually scores is the third row seating. it is ACTUALLY useable with lots of legroom, great seats (not flat & low benches!),
The second row leg space is not as generous as in the Safari, but overall the Xylo is better.

Observations from my wife:

The second row bench seat is not as comfortable as the 2nd row bucket seats. The second row captains chairs are more comfortable than in the Innova (the reason for selling it, and I was not comfortable with the driver's seat).

She liked the lime green colour a lot!
Old 31st January 2009, 21:01   #167
BHPian

Saw this vehicle running on Hosur road today. It looked really like i'm-happy-and-bumpy kind of vehicle through the massively broken road. I would imagine the ride will be similar to the one in a first gen Sumo or Scorpio.

BH.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 31st January 2009 at 21:04.
Old 31st January 2009, 21:13   #168
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Im at a complete loss of words here!
These comments coming from Auto Enthusiasts & comparatively greater knowledgeable about cars, shocks me!

Hard metal does not translate into "safety". It might provide you immunity from nitty gritty incidents at slow speeds within City, but on the highways at greater speeds, this hard metal itself causes harm to the occupants.
Don't equate successful tugs to rickshaws, bumper pushes to fellow cars to safety. At higher speeds, these hard metal parts do not crumple due to which the whole impact is transferred to occupants. My God, please someone educate people on basic safety fundas on this forum.

For a start, refer to : Euro NCAP - For safer cars | HOME
This would atleast give a sneak peek at the crumple mechanism & impact absorption that works wonders in ensuring safety.
Similarly, crumple zones do not translate into 'safety'. Even paper crumples. That does not mean if I put paper around my car, I will be safe. Merely having crumple zones does not ensure safety.

Safety is out of a combination of well designed crumple zones along with a rigid cage. And I guess in case of quite a few of the Jap/ Korean vehicles do not necessarily meet the second criteria. I repeat that it is a guess/ observation from accidents/ reading from unvalidated sources.

And the ratings which a lot of cars get in NCAP are with all the active and passive safety features included in their overseas versions. There is no necessity that all these features are included in the Indian variants. So these ratings may not be applicable in India.

Having been involved in two big accidents, one in an Armada and another in my own Indica, I do not have reason to believe that either of these vehicles are too inferior in safety as compared to other vehicles available at their price point

Lastly, the Xylo has undergone enough testing in the development cycle to ensure that it is road worthy. To be available in the market, it also has been attested for road worthiness by government agencies. It might have some handling issues (I say might because I haven't seen it or driven it), but that is no reason to call it unsafe. Remember that the speed limit on most Indian roads is 80 kmph and I have a sure belief that the Xylo is safe for speeds much beyond that
Old 1st February 2009, 00:11   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Some good impressions, some not so good, nothing too bad.

Good:
A. Great and comfortable cabin with wonderful seating comfort.
B. HVAC works well for even last row.
C. DDAS is a nice touch, even the E6's limited function DDAS. Showed variations beteen 8 km/l and 16(!) km/l during the drive. Let's average it to 12 km/l.
D. Reversing sensor and display in mirror make reversing a snap.
Not so good:
A. Huge swing on the gear lever on startup (can cause a dislocated finger), thereafter the lever settles down into vibratory mode - I have this bad habit of resting my left hand on the gear lever (I know it's not advised), and my palm was slightly sore after 10 km.
B. The engine screams after 2800-3000 r/min - very intrusive.
C. Lost sight of the odometer once I'd settled in. Need a tilt adjustable steering wheel.
D. Brakes are under-servoed, need a determined push to get them to bite - this is in comparison to what I am used to, on my Accent & Swift. But they do bite well. Matter of getting used to the extra pressure required.

Body roll is as much as expected for a tall vehicle like this. Wife was happy with the ride comfort in all rows.

Give me a smoother engine and ABS, and I'll buy this.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st February 2009 at 08:24. Reason: Removed Duplicate post
Old 1st February 2009, 07:34   #170
BHPian

TD of Xylo

Yesterday i got a call from Mahindra's regional office in Pune asking if i was available for a TD. It was 3 in the afternoon and i was almost off to my afternoon siesta . Still I mustered some courage and agreed . They got the vehicle to my doorstep for the TD/ An E8 version I sat in the middle and rear seats and was driven for a couple of kms before i drove it myself.

1. Engine noise - outside and inside -- minimal -- as good or better than innova
2. Spacious -- very spacious even in the 3rd row -- doesnt feel claustrophobic as in other SUV, MUV ( Sumo, Safari, Scorpio. even Innova). Rear window can be opened.
3. Rear wiper defogger -- separate unit for filling in water as mentioned by Raj
4. Looks way better than its made out to be in the brochures.
5. Feels planted on the road -- drove till speeds of 70-80 and did not find braking to be a problem.
6. Body roll not very stated at above speeds; havent tried high speed cornering so cannot comment on it.
7. Gear knob huge and wierd. The vehicle i drove had a problem with the gearshift from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd. I asked the M&M technician and he said its due to runin period -- i disagreed saying the gearshifting is not effortless( Car had run only for 130 kms). I told him i have an indigo ( 2003 model) and i expected the gearshifting to be smooth.
8. I complained about missing ABS for a vehicle so new.He mentioned about E10 probably being out sometime by mid year with ABS-Airbags.
no mention of optional abs for other models -- but he mentioned that it can be retrofitted.
9 The feedback form was a 4 page affair detailing all likes dislikes and suggestions for Mahindra team . Since this was direct from the M&M itself, there were no dealer folks involved. he did ask me about the timeframe i would wish to buy it. I said not so soon. I would wait for the abs airbags thing to be sorted out before i make a call. I did mention this in my feedback too.( hope they are listening)

Mahindra Xylo test drive-pic053.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-pic055.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-pic056.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-pic052.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-pic051.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-pic050.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-pic048.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-pic049.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-pic054.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-pic047.jpg
Old 1st February 2009, 10:24   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Gearshift problem in Xylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
7. Gear knob huge and wierd. The vehicle i drove had a problem with the gearshift from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd.
That's true. Funnily shaped gear knob, not comfortable to the touch. 2nd to 3rd change-up is not smooth, takes two attempts to slot into 3rd from 2nd every time. There's also some difficulty slotting into 2nd from 1st - takes extra effort to keep the lever pushed to the left, else it slots into 4th. Quick up and down shifts are not a forte of this gearbox.
Old 1st February 2009, 12:09   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
C. Lost sight of the odometer once I'd settled in. Need a tilt adjustable steering wheel.
xylo has a tilt adjustable steering buddy.
Old 1st February 2009, 13:42   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Xylo E6

Quote:
Not on the E6 version I drove. IIRC the E8 version does.
Old 1st February 2009, 13:59   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Tilt steering in Xylo

Quote:
So I see from the specs sheet. The person who I drove the Xylo with, looked blank when I asked. Will go back and check again. Thanks. (Mods, please delete my previous post, and this sentence from this post).
Old 1st February 2009, 18:21   #175
BHPian

Raj that was a neat & crisp TD review with most wanted picture showing the negligible luggage space with third row seats up!

If M&M considers to offer 60:40 split seats for the third row seating in Xylo this will be a sensible value addition improving prospective family buyers migrating toInnova on this feature!

Also providing optional ABS / airbag safety on all trims will place xylo much better in its position. Hope M&M is listening.

Overall resonable effort by Mahindra.
Old 2nd February 2009, 09:28   #176
BHPian

Really detailed ,meticulously crafted review there Raj.Just felt as though i myself went for a test drive n came back. cheers
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:52   #177
BHPian

so, to sum up the thread this far :

1. Initial reports were extremely critical of body roll / swinging.
2. Later, the reports toned down, and body roll was not a complaint at speeds that are appropriate for this class of vehicle.

So can we say that :

As long as this vehicle is not thrown around like a sedan (notwithstanding M&M's positioning and marketing tag line), and if driven with a reasonable load (as is expected of a family / people mover), the vehicle settles down and is acceptable at speeds of upto 90/100 kmph.

It was very difficult to glean the above from the various posts, what with the thread "swinging away" in various directions, but if the above is a fair precis, can we proceed from here on with the objective of some more clarity on the vehicle ?

peace.
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:13   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
so, to sum up the thread this far :

1. Initial reports were extremely critical of body roll / swinging.
2. Later, the reports toned down, and body roll was not a complaint at speeds that are appropriate for this class of vehicle.

So can we say that :

As long as this vehicle is not thrown around like a sedan (notwithstanding M&M's positioning and marketing tag line), and if driven with a reasonable load (as is expected of a family / people mover), the vehicle settles down and is acceptable at speeds of upto 90/100 kmph.
Hell_rider, I think your summary is good and this vehicle seems to have the potential to become another money spinner for M&M. The pricing seems very well thought out.
The only little contradiction seems to be that M&M are not currently targeting the fleet owners. I feel individual buyers might wait for ABS & Airbags. It's largely the fleet operators who'd pick up the base versions.
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:06   #179
BHPian

Xylo TD!

I got a chance to TD Xylo for ~15KM. In a nutshell, this is what I experienced :

Accelaration: Pretty good (I took it upto 100).

Braking: On braking hard (floored pedal) the vehicle stopped in a straight line (100-0)...quite impressive...unlike Scorpio (read CRDe - never tried this on an mHawk) third row occupants are no more thrown forward when braking hard.

Body roll: Some amount of roll is there (esp on maneuvering while accelerating) which is acceptable of a 2 tonne MUV.

Comfort: All 3 rows have got excellent leg and head room....seats are very comfortable...individual AC ducts chill you in no time.

Looks: Quite surprisingly front and side look better than rear . M&M must immediate get rid of Bunny Rabbit's Silver Tooth on the grill.

All in all I found it a good VFM vehicle...I admire M&M for improving on vital things like handling & braking, though it can (must) be improved further.

Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by deepgautam_qa : 2nd February 2009 at 15:11.
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:21   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Xylo E8 - and a look below

TD'd another Xylo today, this time an E8.

Common problems to both this and the E6 driven a few days ago:
- The gearshift sticks on shifting from 2nd to 3rd. At least two attempts required.
- The gearshift takes a huge swing when the engine starts or shuts down; this is perhaps because of the gigantic engine mounts which reduce NVH in the cabin while driving. The engine itself rocks and rolls while idling, but as reported earlier, the cabin's quiet.
- The full spec DDAS has the temp and relative humidity screen (pic below) plus alarm - to wake your driver up. Also an overspeed alarm which can be set easily.
- Brakes on this car also needed a good shove to get them to bite.

Also took a look under the car. Engine sump sits neatly between two front cross-members, out of any harm's way, but I'd have still liked a steel protection plate/bash plate below it. Should be easy to fit.

The diesel tank is a strange affair, long and flat, sitting under the body along the left side and extending quite a way forward - a really big bump or rock can perhaps put a dent or hole in it. The exhaust/silencer is routed along the right side. Would have liked the tank to be between the rear wheels as is usual.

Diff tubes and propshaft are nice and stout. Seem built to last.

Overall, lots of space all round from a mechanic's point of view - easy to access all the areas requiring attention during service.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Xylo test drive-abcd0008.jpg  

Mahindra Xylo test drive-dsc02015.jpg  

Mahindra Xylo test drive-abcd0007.jpg  

Mahindra Xylo test drive-abcd0006.jpg  

Mahindra Xylo test drive-abcd0005.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks