Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 18:55   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi, have you tried the Scorpio mHawk, I have done up to 140 Kmh, braked, swung it around, but never felt excessive swing or roll.
Yes, definitily better than older scorpios. I hope they further improve it with 2010 scorpio. Anyways, bouncy ride & bodyrolls, I find scorpio as a great mile muncher during hill travels!
Old 20th January 2009, 20:06   #62
BHPian

Has anyone here booked Xylo or have seen Xylo on Road so far other then TD vehicle. Have they started Delivery ? I m not buying it, but want to see response from general public.
Old 20th January 2009, 22:31   #63
BANNED

Xylo Test Drive

Hi guys
I test drove the xylo today. The vehicle overall is ok for big families. I found the gearchange little bit notchy. There was pitching when braked hard. Some of the plastics used were of inferior quality. Did anyone notice turbo lag? The rear tailgate was making a screeching sound when opened.
The paint quality is good. Overall a great value for money product...
Cheers
Old 20th January 2009, 22:59   #64
BHPian

Took test drive of Xylo E8 on 18/01/2009
First impression: The car looks HUGE. Look is subjective aspect but to me it didn’t look as bad as it seemed on spy photos on TBHP. It has real presence in my eyes

The Drive:
Performance: Very stable car. Doesn’t get as nervous as old scorpios under heavy braking. Actually it is very poised under heavy braking and hold the straight line but it surely needs ABS even if as option. My wife took her to real bad patches which was hard work for my beloved and now parted BOLERO but XYLO took that with ease and with minimal fuss and I was actually lying on the bedseat (I coined the name more on this later) that time and didn’t realize she has already crossed that part. It drives much like a car. Not as carlike as innova but I always felt that diesel innovas are too underpowered and the engine too complaining if you push her but XYLO engine is very responsive in the perspective of MUVs. I would say it is almost as good as my DZIRE. Though not as refined or as driver obedient as OCTY. The engine is very loud from outside but the noise inside was at par with dzire. I always found New Mahindras very silent inside the cabin with windows rolled up and AC on. Same with my Bolero GLX my uncle’s Scorpio CRDe and now with Xylo.

The COOL features:
1. Rear parking sensor: A nice thing given the size of the car and makes the parking or taking U turn in small places an easy job.
2. TRIP COMPUTER: Doesn’t have instantaneous mileage which is very nice tool to extract better fuel economy by helping you to modulate your driving style. But is has cool features like hygrometer and compass giving you a feel of driving some hard core SUV (OK false feeling but for mere people like us who can never afford a PAJERO or PATROL, we can have the feel atleast )
3. Bed Seat: The front and middle seats together form a nice bed. I was apprehensive as the bed is not a flat place so may not be comfortable but actually found it very comfortable (I am 6’1”) and realized it is better than the flat bed as in that case the person would slide easily under braking. The positioning of AC vents makes the bed very sleepable.
4. Food trays and drink holders: Nice features for munching stuffs from DHABAs.
5. Individual arm rests: a nice feature.
But it lacked following more important things
1. Airbags
2. ABS

The dislikes:
The interior quality like plastic quality, fabric quality locks all seemed pretty bad in quality even to my eyes and fingers it felt worse than ALTO interior quality which is a shame as this is not an exactly cheap car. Compared to innova you can not put it on same class regarding interior quality. The trunk when third seat is folded is a dangerous place to put the soft or fragile luggage as the third seat can easily drop on them.
The likes:
The engine, the drive, the brakes, the driving position which will cause much lesser fatigue in long drives. The llok under the bonnet is pretty impressive..looks like a much expensive cars underhood.
Old 21st January 2009, 10:16   #65
BHPian

Nice and detailed TD report Sinhsha!
I have not seen phrases like "swinging" or "boat-like" in TD reports during last 2-3 days...do we guys get carried away when it comes to criticizing?

Last edited by deepgautam_qa : 21st January 2009 at 10:23.
Old 21st January 2009, 11:37   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Surely, it moves but the problem is with the ride/control. It is not very confidence inspiring at high speeds. Did not mean to say no one can push it to those speeds... you got to be very brave, which I am not.
That may be your view. But professional auto testers , like Bijoy from BSM certainly do not think so.

Also depends on what the reference point is. e.g. a regular sedan / hatch driver who drives any SUV / MPV for the first time will certainly get all sorts of feelings. A regular muv/ suv driver may not feel that.

Last edited by w 12 : 21st January 2009 at 11:40.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:41   #67
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I test drove the Xylo E8 last saturday. Drove about 10 kms with speeds ranging from zero to about 95 kph. Following is my take.

I am bound to compare it to the Scorpio and the Innova, both of which i have decent experience driving(driven Scorp from hyd-Coorg and back, and driven an Innove from hyd to Delhi)

Overall Looks
- Looks quite good. The front, i felt, is not as bad as it looks in the pics/web. The rear is quite good looking. When asked, the sales person told me that they are not going to launch it in white right now, for the fear of the Cabbie business taking them in huge numbers. The other colours available are all quite good and suit the shape/size of the car.

Exterior
- Door handles etc are of good quality. Much better than the Scorpio's. Innova is still leaps ahead of the Xylo. There is no side plastic cladding/sticker job on any of the variants.
- Tyres - 215/75R15 bridgestone dwellers. I think 16 inchers from teh scorp would have looked better. Innova is one down here.
- The top end E8 comes with alloys that look good.

Interiors
- This is where all the surprise is. Very well laid out dash. Generations ahead of the Scorp and better than the Innova's too.
- Plastic quality again way better than the Scorp, not as good as the jap.
- Very comfortable seating for the first and the second row ( the car i drove has captain seats in the second row). The third row also seemed to have decent space. The second row is surprisingly generous on the space front.
- AC vents and reading lights for all the occupants of the car. They all work quite well and have decent quality feel to them.
- If the third row is occupied, the boot space becomes almost zero. long distance travellers would have to travel light or fix an overhead carrier.
- Overall plastics quality is good, but i found some silly plastic at a few places. Still miles ahead of its M&M sibling and not upto the standard of its main competition (Innova).
- There was a 12v power socket each in the center console of the front and second row.

Engine
- 2.5 ltr M-Eagle engine producing 113.6 odd ps. The engine was OK. The torque curve seems to be better than the Scorp's. Innova rules here too.
- There was a slight turbo lag, but somehow the car did not feel lazy.
- The trip mileage-o-meter was showing 10.3. The dealer claims 12-13 in the city and about 2-3 more on the highway

Gear shift
- notchy, but not as much as the scorp's.

Ride & Handling
- Much better than the scorp's. The boaty feeling of the scorp is almost absent here. I felt it was almost as good as the Innova.

Comfort
- I sat and spent some time in the front(both) and 2nd row(Both seats). The fabric quality on the E8 is quite good. The cushioning is good.
- All the seats on the first and 2nd row get individual arm rests. I loved it for that. They make the drive so much more enjoyable.
- First and Second row seats get lumbar support.
- The second row gets an airplane like tray. It was nice. Decent plastic quality, had a slot for a cup holder, and was not too small.
- Plastics on the door panel were also good. The windows were of decent size and provided good view ( Not sure if anyone here cares for this, but just in case)

Equipment
- The quipment levels were quite rich.
- Rear parking sensor in-built in the rear view mirror.
- Seat belt warnings
- Door open warnings
- A digital display in the center console, telling you about various things like speed, instant mileage, distance to empty, trip computer etc.
- NO ABS, AIRBAGS in any of the variants yet.

Price Vs Features
- Everyone here knows about the prices. Innovas with similar equipment levels cost about a lakh and a half more. In that respect the Xylo is excellent value for money.

Overall Feel
- I must say i am quite impressed by the car.
- The showroom was full of people and almost all of them were quite awed by the interiors.
- This is going to do well for M&M in all probabilities.

THE Bads
- Poor plastics here and there ( Not much though)
- Could have had a more powerful engine (the m-Hawk 2.2 would have been lovable)
- ABS&Airbags etc missing, even in the top-end E8.
- The front is not beautiful in any respect.

I must say again, that I am quite impressed by the car. Good job there by M&M.
Old 25th January 2009, 00:33   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Which brings us to Shri A J Darukhanawalla's wholesome praise for the vehicle in some TV show. Maybe he was talking about a Xylo that was standing still?
Darukhanawalla's Zigwheel International Motor Show was sponsored by M & M at the same time
Old 25th January 2009, 09:22   #69
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy View Post
Darukhanawalla's Zigwheel International Motor Show was sponsored by M & M at the same time
It is a symbiotic relationship between auto majors and mags. All auto companies and auto mags indulge in it. So one always has to take reviews with a handful of salt. This also applies to reviews written by owners of a brand. People want to defend/ glorify their purchase decision and hence go to any extent to do so. That is how so many people even on TBHP who have never driven some vehicles/ brands have a strong opinion about them. Some times people even make blanket statements on vehicles which have not even been launched
Old 25th January 2009, 14:23   #70
BHPian

Guys, any idea if the Xylo has hit the showrooms for sale?? I am all set to get the E6 but not available in Delhi. Called Bhasin motors but they say still 2 weeks more before they can deliver.

Any idea?
Old 25th January 2009, 16:08   #71
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
This also applies to reviews written by owners of a brand. People want to defend/ glorify their purchase decision and hence go to any extent to do so.
I agree. When a person has spent what he thinks is a good sum of money on something, he will go all lengths to defend his purchase, even if it's rotten. I would take a car owner's word about his car only if
- it was one of the many cars he owns.
- he bought it a 2nd time.
Old 25th January 2009, 16:35   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Which brings us to Shri A J Darukhanawalla's wholesome praise for the vehicle in some TV show. Maybe he was talking about a Xylo that was standing still?
Did anyone see the test drive ? missed it had to go out of town.
Old 25th January 2009, 16:39   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Did anyone see the test drive ? missed it had to go out of town.
Someone's posted a You Tube version of the same earlier on this thread, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy View Post
This is OUCH!

There has to be some code of conduct for these journos - they cant be taking with one hand only to give with the other. In any other profession, this would be called 'corruption', I dont see why it should not be called by the same term here.

Idols with feet of clay - he is one of the guys whose words were gospel when we were younger. Shame on ya, AJ.

DISCLAIMER: Please note that I am NOT debating the MUV or its capabilities (or lack of them).

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th January 2009 at 16:40.
Old 25th January 2009, 16:43   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Guys, any idea if the Xylo has hit the showrooms for sale?? I am all set to get the E6 but not available in Delhi. Called Bhasin motors but they say still 2 weeks more before they can deliver.

Any idea?
Shri Durga Automobiles is ready to give delivery after payment.
Old 25th January 2009, 16:43   #75
Senior - BHPian

Overall an excellent vehicle for big families. I feel they should have designed the grill differently. They seem to have got in to the trap of keeping a family look among all mahindra cars and hence the toothy grill, which may put off some potential buyers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks