Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 19:13   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhsha View Post
But is has cool features like hygrometer and compass giving you a feel of driving some hard core SUV (OK false feeling but for mere people like us who can never afford a PAJERO or PATROL, we can have the feel atleast )
Hygro as in humidity?? Can we get some pics please. I think Pajero had Altimeter, Inclinometer and something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstheg View Post
When asked, the sales person told me that they are not going to launch it in white right now, for the fear of the Cabbie business taking them in huge numbers. .
They did the same thing with the Logan and had to give in later. These Mahindra people are really insecure about their image man. No self-confidence like Toyota. Innova cabs from day1 and still it holds its image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
They seem to have got in to the trap of keeping a family look among all mahindra cars and hence the toothy grill, which may put off some potential buyers.
Absolutely! For some reason they feel that Mahindra customer expects the family look. Message to Anand Mahindra, "No we dont, just make it a good looking vehicle"
Old 25th January 2009, 19:47   #77
BHPian

The test drive reports are very conflicting. How can it vary so vastly, especially about braking? I guess pre-concieved notions are playing a large role here.
Old 26th January 2009, 12:29   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy View Post
Darukhanawalla's Zigwheel International Motor Show was sponsored by M & M at the same time
Most car magazine reviews (in print or on TV) are hogwash. It's not just AJD. Like with the newspapers, dont always believe what you read. Take these reviews with a large pinch of salt, TD the vehicle yourself and talk to existing owners for their feedback. Existing owners may be biased but IMHO it's better than the commercially inspired drivel that you read in car mags.

I have not renewed any of my subscriptions to these auto magazines.

Cheers,

R2D2

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th January 2009 at 12:32.
Old 26th January 2009, 12:59   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
That may be your view. But professional auto testers , like Bijoy from BSM certainly do not think so.
Truely, that was only MY view. You are right my friend. Think about it, when I am putting down my hard earned money, whom do you think I will trust? a so called professional auto tester (I am not even debating their integrity here...) or my own experience test driving?

Why does T-BHP put so much stress of experiencing the product yourself before buying? I hope you get the drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Also depends on what the reference point is. e.g. a regular sedan / hatch driver who drives any SUV / MPV for the first time will certainly get all sorts of feelings. A regular muv/ suv driver may not feel that.
That's a very valid point and yes, like I said earlier, my reference point is the Innova which I have driven extensively over the last 3 years on all sorts of terrains. Does that count?

Just because it is an MPV does not discount the fact that it should handle well. The Innova had already raised the bar years ago.

Disclaimer: I am NOT an Innnova fan boy. The truth is far from that infact.
Old 26th January 2009, 16:16   #80
Senior - BHPian

Saw one in the flesh in Koramangala the other day as one passed by. Surely not pretty, but I wouldn't say its more or less offensive to look at than the Innova or the older Qualis. Not in the same league - but the Winger manages to look more wholesome though a little outdated.

Seriously, is it a huge issue if a vehicle of this class cannot corner hard at 3 digit speeds etc ? For more than 85-90% of its real world usage, 3 digit speeds will seldom be reached, or even needed. The space it offers, especially at the prices - makes it a great package. If it can do 80-100 on decent roads without losing steam, and manage a trifle more on the emptier 4 laners - and does not sway as wildly as some have reported, or basically lose it completely on broken surfaces, I think its a winner.

The dash looks horrible in pictures, though. Yet to see that live.
Old 26th January 2009, 22:41   #81
BHPian

Quick, short review!

Had a test drive + ride yesterday at Shri Durga Automobiles.

It was an E8. From starting the engine to shutting it, the smoothness is to be felt to be believed. I found the drive excellent, the power steering giving butter-smooth assistance. The gear-stick has new-feel grip – felt nice, though slotting it did not actually take it to the exact directions, so now I know the presence of the gear indicator on the MID screen. The view from the driver’s seat is good, and one feels in total control of the vehicle while driving. The seat was not too comfortable, though – both while driving as well as sitting in the next one. The braking was adequate. The dash is ‘okay’; the features ingrained are good, while the quality of the material is downright flimsy, so you have a balance there. The parking sensors provide the much needed help while reversing. During the test drive, other people stopped to give way, not because they felt intimidated by the Xylo’s size but to have a prolonged good view at the relatively new vehicle to hit the market.

No offence meant, but I did not like the Xylo’s looks at all. The inclusion of Scorpio-type front grill (after having incorporated in the Bolero) adds to the clumsy looks. The vehicle is big, boxy, and the overall shape seems to suggest that it may have been designed in a hurry. The pricing seems just about right, though.

Mahindra Xylo test drive-xylo-front.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-xylo-dash-odo.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-xylo-engine.jpg
Old 26th January 2009, 23:34   #82
Senior - BHPian

Maybe this vehicle looks bad in certain angles - the last set of pics by kkdelhi makes it look really YUKKK.

Less said about the interior pics in the same post (no offence meant, kkdelhi), the better - what were they thinking of? It looks like a kindergarten kid's lego model.
Old 27th January 2009, 00:43   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Maybe this vehicle looks bad in certain angles - the last set of pics by kkdelhi makes it look really YUKKK.

Less said about the interior pics in the same post (no offence meant, kkdelhi), the better - what were they thinking of? It looks like a kindergarten kid's lego model.
MSPaint job. NOw it looks better
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Xylo test drive-xylo-front.jpg  

Old 27th January 2009, 03:02   #84
BHPian

That guy Bijoy must not be allowed to write a review again - ever. Reading that was a waste of time.
Old 27th January 2009, 09:28   #85
BHPian

Xylo TD report in AUTOCAR

AUTOCAR finds Xylo a good vehicle except for handling....I hope this poor baby is not bashed red and blue anymore on TBHP.
Old 27th January 2009, 09:53   #86
Team-BHP Support

I beleive a demo vehicle already wrapped itself on the Devanahalli highway
Old 27th January 2009, 11:26   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa View Post
AUTOCAR finds Xylo a good vehicle except for handling....I hope this poor baby is not bashed red and blue anymore on TBHP.
your hope will remian a hope!

but i really like the unity in T-BHP! if one starts bashing a vehicle, all the other join in, doesnt matter even if they have not even seen the vehicle.

i really liked the interiors except for the middle AC vents. but AC vents, a grille & a TV AD are not good enough reasons to bash up such a good & practical vehicle at such a good price. i think it will serve the purpose it is built for, very well. i also think it will sell in huge numbers.

but will it make a huge dent in scorpio/innova sales, i dont think so.
Old 27th January 2009, 11:31   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
your hope will remian a hope!

but i really like the unity in T-BHP! if one starts bashing a vehicle, all the other join in, doesnt matter even if they have not even seen the vehicle.

i really liked the interiors except for the middle AC vents. but AC vents, a grille & a TV AD are not good enough reasons to bash up such a good & practical vehicle at such a good price. i think it will serve the purpose it is built for, very well. i also think it will sell in huge numbers.

but will it make a huge dent in scorpio/innova sales, i dont think so.
I feel it will effect sales of Sumo Grande which itself is struggling.Good for people who want to buy Tavera. People don't buy Tavera as it is more classified as Taxi segment vehicle. With Xylo they get a good option !

Last edited by aka_iitd : 27th January 2009 at 11:35.
Old 27th January 2009, 11:54   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I feel it will effect sales of Sumo Grande which itself is struggling.Good for people who want to buy Tavera. People don't buy Tavera as it is more classified as Taxi segment vehicle. With Xylo they get a good option !
yes, i feel it will affect the sales of sumo grande, bolero & tavera.

although some may still buy a 4x4 bolero for some off roading or a tavera for its fuel efficiency.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:19   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstheg View Post
Engine
- 2.5 ltr M-Eagle engine producing 113.6 odd ps. The engine was OK. The torque curve seems to be better than the Scorp's.

THE Bads
- Poor plastics here and there ( Not much though)
- Could have had a more powerful engine (the m-Hawk 2.2 would have been lovable)
- ABS&Airbags etc missing, even in the top-end E8.

THE Bads
- Poor plastics here and there ( Not much though)
- Could have had a more powerful engine (the m-Hawk 2.2 would have been lovable)
- ABS&Airbags etc missing, even in the top-end E8.
- The front is not beautiful in any respect.

I had been following the Xylo's progress almost from the drawing-board stage, and was stumped to see the VLX version missing from the initial launch lineup. It seems the economic slump and the slowing of demand in the car market is to blame, and although a VLX version with the works (2.2 mHawk engine, ABS, cruise control) is in the pipeline, launch may well be delayed by 12 - 18 months. I'd made up my mind to buy the Xylo, but a test drive of the 2.5 mEagle shows it up to have more NVH than I'd like. Maybe someone in Mahindra is reading this forum, and can speed up the launch of the VLXylo(!)

Most Viewed