Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 01:17   #1
BHPian

Bought a Swift VXi today

I've been a long time patron of this wonderful site and today I write my first post with a sense of gratification for buying a car governed by a decision based on analysis rather than impulse and hearsay.

After considerable research aligning my financial position with the best offerings, and after innumerable test drives (including Fiat Linea, of course), I came to conclusion that either one of Swift VXi+ABS, or ZXi or VDi+ABS would be the best fit. I liked Swift Petrol after test drive but was blown away by torquey Diesel. I had just enough buffer in these times of recession that would only go so far as to buy a VXi Petrol so it was a tough decision to balance cheaper appeal of petrol variant vs priceless seductiveness of diesel torque. But I was able to negotiate an offer with the dealership that was hard ignore. I was offered Swift Petrol (Dec 2008 inventory) with 8k worth accessories. I insisted on free 1st year insurance too and bluffed that I'm getting similary deal from another dealership. At first the sales guy refused, but later after closed door discussions with sales manager, he finally agreed and offered me the deal OR 20k cash discount with stock car. But the catch was that it would be valid only for Silver VXi (non ABS) tied up to the December 08 inventory. I had wanted ZXi petrol or at least VXI with ABS but after re-evaluating my financial position and the offer, I accepted 20k cash discount and got VXi on road for 4.5L with 3 years warranty (no accessory whatsoever)

I took the delivery yesterday (18th Jan) and went straight ahead to Michelin dealer to get the stock JK Tyre 165/80 R14 upgraded to XM1+ Energy 185/70 R14. The dealer offered me 3800/tyre - 1000 exchange price for JKs. But I negotiated the final offer down to 2550/tyre. The XM1+s show manufacturing date of 43rd week of 2007. I also got warranty card + invoice billed at 3800/tyre.
Question 1: Is it a reasonable exchange price?

I still have to get it ICE'd but the foremost thing on my mind is security which brings me to
Question 2: Since VXi has iCATS protected, is it prudent to put a gear lock in addition? Or will it just have a placebo effect? I also own a 2001 Wagon R with gear lock, and I must say that it does at least provides some sense of security when parking in disreputable areas . But on the other hand I dislike the thought of getting holes drilled to get the gear lock fitted if it won't serve any purpose.

Question 3: I'm also used to keyless entry on my Wagon R. What is the recommended keyless entry system for Swift? I was being offered Nippon, I guess, at the dealership at 5k which I refused since I had no idea of the market price and 5k looked costly. Does it really cost 5k considering that VXi already comes equipped with immobiliser and central locking? I was told that Nippon can be "plugged into" default wiring whereas other systems like autocop will result in wire being cut. Is there any semblance of truth to it?

Car pics - I took out my Canon digicam out after mothballing it for a year. To my horror it won't work, so I don't have any pics but I'll try to upload them soon.

Thank you again, all TBHP contributors for making it a wonderful resource and research tool!
Old 19th January 2009, 01:53   #2
BHPian

congrats mate on this real nice buy!!!
it was a smart decision to upgrade the rubber and also the right upsize. now w.r.t icats, somebody on the forum tried starting his car with a key without the RFID tag and the car dint start, so it does work. but gearlock is a more visible deterrent and can bring down the chance of somebody breaking into your car considerably. i dont have it in my car thou.

now about the central locking, i have read that nippon systems arent very good. so after market central locking makes more sense. i am also on the look out for the same and found models from autocop and minda varying from 2500 to 3800 depending on the features.

upload some pics soon and drive safe!!

Last edited by white_vdi : 19th January 2009 at 01:54.
Old 19th January 2009, 08:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new purchase gsbhatia. Swift has a 2-year warranty period. How come you got 3 ? And where is it mentioned ?
Old 19th January 2009, 08:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new aquisition, Bhatia!

Wish you a long and safe driving experience with your ride!

Changing the tire is a great decision. The stock tires are a bit let down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
... but gearlock is a more visible deterrent and can bring down the chance of somebody breaking into your car considerably.
now about the central locking, i have read that nippon systems arent very good. so after market central locking makes more sense. i am also on the look out for the same and found models from autocop and minda varying from 2500 to 3800 depending on the features...
+1 to the note about the gear lock being a deterrent. And also, it does serve its purpose. Might have happened, but have not heard of any vehicle with the gear lock broken into.

Nippon is the securiy system that Maruti fits into the cars from the at the showroom, but my vote goes for AutoCop. Might be just due to my ignorance of the feature of Nippon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
...Swift has a 2-year warranty period. How come you got 3 ? And where is it mentioned ?
Maruti standard warranty is 2 years, extended warranty for 1 year and you get a total of 3 years warranty.

Go and get this for yours also, FountainHead.
Old 19th January 2009, 08:40   #5
BHPian

white_vdi: Thanks.

Fountainheader: Thanks. I got standard 2 year warranty + 1 year extended warranty worth Rs. 2400 as part of the deal. In my case, extended warranty is clearly mentioned in the invoice as a separate item.
Old 19th January 2009, 09:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

HappyWheels,
The extended warranty covers 3rd and 4th year together. I dont think there is an option to take just the 3rd year warranty. Do dealers have a say in how many years to offer ? Say as a part of the deal ?
Old 19th January 2009, 09:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
HappyWheels,
The extended warranty covers 3rd and 4th year together. I dont think there is an option to take just the 3rd year warranty. Do dealers have a say in how many years to offer ? Say as a part of the deal ?
HappyWheels: Thanks.

Fountainheader: I was given an option to buy 3rd and 4th year warranty separately for 2400 and 2600 respectively.
Old 19th January 2009, 09:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HappyWheels,
Mmm.... now you got me confused! When I took my Alto (2005), I got one year coverage as part of the Maruti extended warranty. Hence I got a total of only 3 years.

Not sure if this has been upgraded to +2 years in terms of extended warranty from Maruti. Need to check out.

And no, the extended warranty if taken from the manufacturer is standard across the country in terms of coverage and period. But there are few dealers who are offering a "dealer" extended warranty. But with this, you will always have to go to this dealer for any warranty claims. Ensure that when taking the extended warranty to check if this is a manufacturer warranty or dealer warranty.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 19th January 2009 at 09:26.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
And no, the extended warranty if taken from the manufacturer is standard across the country in terms of coverage and period. But there are few dealers who are offering a "dealer" extended warranty. But with this, you will always have to go to this dealer for any warranty claims. Ensure that when taking the extended warranty to check if this is a manufacturer warranty or dealer warranty.
According to the dealer, Maruti offers both +1 and +2 extended warranty schemes and it isn't dealer's warranty but manufacturer's. I'll be getting the extended warranty papers in a few days so, unfortunately, I can't immediately vet or support the dealer's claim.
Old 19th January 2009, 15:59   #10
BHPian

Congratulations for the new vehicle. You have taken the right decision by changing tyres immediately. Autocop is the best choice for central locking. Post some pics friend. happy and safe driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks