Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2009, 12:18   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
wrong info man.
look at the torque figures. same engine displacement of the same company with different BHP figures giving same Torque at same max RPM.

It's i20 UK website who have this information. Many sites had just copied the same info from the site and they don't even think of this silliest mistake done by the hyundai and other sites.
I think the rpm is given as a range rather than max figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Till now in terms of performance, all diesel models by Hyundai have successfully run circles around its petrol variant.

Those figures are doubtful. Unit of torque is also wrong.
Unit should be Nm and not as shown. They are not my claims. These figures are from the Hyundai UK website. I have seen news items that they do have two power options with the same CRDI engine. Not sure how they achieve it though.

Last edited by appuchan : 24th January 2009 at 12:21.
Old 24th January 2009, 16:16   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Even CRDI is not going to be a scorcher like the current Getz CRDI. Currently they are exporting two power options for CRDI 1.4 lt engine.

1. 74bhp @ 4000rpm with 220 Nmft 1750-2350rpm
2. 89bhp @ 4000rpm with 220 Nmft 1750-2350rpm
The figures are:

1. 1396 cc ; Power: 74 bhp; torque: 220 Nm@ 1750-2350 rpm
2. 1396 cc ; Power: 89 bhp; torque: -------- do ---------
courtesy: Hyundai | New Cars | I20 | Technical

Going through the site makes you feel that Hyundai is cheating upon we indians. The indian site does not even have the kerb weight of the vehicle. Another case of a manufacturer fooling indians

Last edited by breezydrive : 24th January 2009 at 16:18.
Old 24th January 2009, 19:15   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Appuchan, thank you, that site is a classic: like every bad-translation joke rolled into one

I've almost got this car marked as my next. No hurry though, waiting see to see diesel version,

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th January 2009 at 19:15. Reason: forgot site link
Old 24th January 2009, 20:33   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I think the rpm is given as a range rather than max figure.

Unit should be Nm and not as shown. They are not my claims. These figures are from the Hyundai UK website. I have seen news items that they do have two power options with the same CRDI engine. Not sure how they achieve it though.
lol ok take it as a range too... is it possible to gain 220 nm torque with 2 different bhp? same torque and same range.... Duh!! then what will be there difference?
Old 28th January 2009, 01:00   #50
Team-BHP Support

Decided to have a TD of the i20 last week as trident hyundai was not giving me one of the Getz CRDi. Called up Trident on Hosur road and arranged for the car to come to office as 3 other colleagues also wanted a dekho.

A new white i20 came with a broken headlamp. It had 900kms on the odo. Car looked huge and I love the stance it has on the road. It looks very european and upmarket like the Fabia.

Inside it was again top notch quality. The dash and door pads both have very good quality plastics with the rubberised feel. Colour combination is good. Chocolate brown and beige. Good change from standard combination. The car is also spacious but the rear gives the feeling of the rear being cramped. This is because the front seat travel is more. If you push the front seats back noone can sit in the rear, but the front passengers can really stretch. In the getz the travel is less so the space in the rear is more when fully set back. We were 3 in the rear and not crushed at all.

On to the drive. Start her up and she is extremely refined. Please note that my driving impression is with fully laden load of 5 passengers. I had to slip the clutch quite a lot to prevent stalling. The clutch offers no feedback and I could not feel the actuation point. The steering is absolutely lifeless with no feedback whatsoever. It's too light and does not self centre after turning. Second gear is absolute zilch. In 1st rev to 4000rpm then go to second press the acc pedal hard and you will get mild acceleration in return. 3rd is much better but nothing great. At 60kmph I shifted to 5th and it could not maintian the speed.

Ride and handling. Suspension is tuned on the hard side. The suspension crashes over broken patches of road. It's on the firm side. Upside is the handling is pretty good but the inert steering takes away all the fun and the engine doesn't help matters either. Brakes are really good. Good feedback and ABS works very well. The 185/65-14 apollo aceleres do a good job in keeping the car planted. The particular TD car I drove clearly had a rear left suspension issue as it was making crazy noises. Initially I thought there was something loose in the boot but there wasn't.

As an overall package it was a pretty average car. Good interiors and features but nothing great to drive. It's pretty pricey at 6.6L for the Asta. I would imagine someone would buy this as a second car which would be chauffeur driven for the misses or the misses would be driving it.

The 3 friends who drove it all commented on the lack of power and the very poor second gear in particular. One of them has a NHC Vtec and a Getz 1.3. She commented the performance was lower than the 1.3 Getz but the car drove exactly like a NHC. She said steering feels same just like a toy and gear shift is nice just like the NHC.

One thing of interest when you pop the hood is that the engine is mounted 180 degrees compared to other cars. What I mean is that the intake manifold/throttle body are just behind the grill and the exhaust headers are routed near the firewall. Also the engine is mounted using hydraulic mounts and not rubber ones. The engine bay looks very empty with that puny 1.2L engine.
Old 29th January 2009, 13:58   #51
BHPian

Liked the i20

Hi,

Test Drove the I20.
The car looks good, fit & finish is good, legroom enough,Good boot space & practical. Has all the trim level in the Basic version Magna.

The Engine is very smooth in 1st gear, My Accent becomes noisy if i rev it in the 1st gear.But i couldnt get the power in the 3rd gear that my Accent delivers.

My Accent is 5 years old and i was thinking of a replacement.My budjet is around max 6 lakhs. Please advice is it a wise idea to replace i20 with my Accent.The Accent suspension is as smooth as the i20's, and has more power.
I was thinking about replacing it because....

1.Accent may be discontinued, so i may get lesser resale value later.
2.To avoid costs of maintainence in future.
3.i20 being a new car will be into existance atleast next 5 years.
4.Buying a new car

The new Accent executive Onroad chennai comes to 5.49 lakhs that too we can get discounts to atleast 20k or more..ie. 5.30 onroad, where as i20 magna comes onroad at 5.40 with no discounts.The Accent is also fully loaded good car and more power.

No No i dont want to buy Accent again, but just comparing reasons why people may prefer i20 (just because its new).

Personally i liked the i20 but dont know what i will feel if i give away my accent for it.

Thanks
Krish
Old 29th January 2009, 14:40   #52
BHPian

Gear Ratio funda in i20

Well .. I went again to Advaith Showroom Outer Ring Road Bangalore yesterday with my friend as he wanted to TD i20. We were 4 people plus the sales guy. My friend tried his hands and liked it also. I knew my i10 Kappa sportz 1.2 and i20 both enjoy the same engine then also I asked the sales guy what is the difference between the two. He said the gear ratio is different and to demonstrate that he took us down the road and told us to be in 3rd gear and to reduce the speed below 20 Kmph and told us not to press the clutch and brake. There was no noise or thud in the engine and told proudly that this is special in i20 over i10. All of us nodded our heads.

In the evening I took 3 different friends (although the total weight is almost same ) and did the same stunt in my i10. The result was same, no noise and no vibration.

I know very little about this gear ratio and related fundas.

Could some one please explain me what he was trying to prove ?
Old 29th January 2009, 17:37   #53
BHPian

I got the chance to test drive the new i20 Asta, this model figures midway between the Magna and Asta (O).

I've owned cars from Fiat, Amby, Zen, Santro, Esteem, Swift and currently own the Getz CRDi, so my comments will be in comparison to the above cars only.

Looks though subjective, I would agree with the slogan Uber cool, this car is definitely eye catching, and the best looking car after the Swift in this segment (B, B+). The car definitely looks bigger, longer and wider when compared to all the B, B+ hatches.

Interiors black all over, the integrated music system, USB, ipod connectors are fab, auto aircon is also neatly integrated. The dispay in the center near the front windshield definitely provides useful data to the driver. Front seats adjust manual though. I pushed the seat way back as I am 6 ft 1" tall but had to pull it back a little to get the right position. Steering console is pretty neat, with controls for the music system available. The glow comparment also has a/c vents and lights but its a little out of reach and below the dash, this is probably to accomodate the airbags, the warning chimes for seatbelt, door ajar is good but definitely irritating.

Engine - Very refined, but sluggish (yeh yeh nothing compared to the CRDi Getz), with the aircon on it takes a while to get to 80 kmph, the engine noise doesnt give hte perception that the car is struggling but its not the free revving one like the Swift. Power wise its a big let down. Gears are silky smooth and easy to shift and is well placed and designed. 2nd Gear over the speedbreaker will definitely cut off the engine... so lacks the low end torque which I am used to on my Getz. Never got to take it above 80 kmph as the time it took to get there did not motivate me to go any further and try to push it. Ground clearance is 172 so Bangalore speed breakers would be no issues for this car. The tyres 14 inchers are adequate and rubber 185 is good enough for the car with the 1.2 litre Kappa engine.

Space - oodles of space in the front, no shoulder to shoulder touches possible, Did not notice if it had the armrest in the front, my friends sitting in the rear were comfortable even with the front seats pushed almost to the end so space wise its pretty good, long wheelbase, wider seats but lacks the under thigh support for the rear benchers so it could be trouble for older folks sitting at the rear.

Checked if they would launch the i20 with the Getz diesel engine, but was told a strict no no by the marketing person.

I suggested they shd try the 1.5 CRDi on the i20 Magna and that would work out to the same on road price and a little higher than the current Getz CRDi.

Finally I would definitely buy this car, only if they give the 1.5 CRDi option with 110 horses and not the ones described on this thread . This car would definitely be a hoot to drive with its wider stance definitely better than the Getz and will definitely be comparable to the Swift (with wider tyres ofcourse) in terms of high speed handling and breaking if we had the CRDi 110 horses monster engine under the hood.

The Prices for the 3 models in Bangalore will be
Model Ex Showroom On-Road
Magna 4,79,900 5,63,751
Asta 5,59,900 6,62,881
Asta (0) 5,81,900 6,88,690

Price Comparison with the Getz GVS CRDi and i20 Magna CRDi will work out to
Getz GVS (1.3P) 4,29,642 5,05,345
GVS (CRDi) 5,43,743 6,43,926
Difference 1,14,101 1,38,581

i20 Magna (1.2P) 4,79,900 5,63,751
i20 Magna (1.5CRDi) 5,94,001 7,02,332 (+ Diff above)

Now thats interesting and I am YES YES for the i20 Magna 1.5 CRDi, 110 horses....smiles all the way
Old 30th January 2009, 11:24   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
On to the drive. Start her up and she is extremely refined. Please note that my driving impression is with fully laden load of 5 passengers. I had to slip the clutch quite a lot to prevent stalling. The clutch offers no feedback and I could not feel the actuation point. The steering is absolutely lifeless with no feedback whatsoever. It's too light and does not self centre after turning. Second gear is absolute zilch. In 1st rev to 4000rpm then go to second press the acc pedal hard and you will get mild acceleration in return. 3rd is much better but nothing great. At 60kmph I shifted to 5th and it could not maintian the speed.
Thanks for the comments, Vid. Not only is this engine so obviously unsuited for a premium hatch, but we can only imagine the kind of FE / wear & tear on an engine that has to be worked to hard.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
One thing of interest when you pop the hood is that the engine is mounted 180 degrees compared to other cars. What I mean is that the intake manifold/throttle body are just behind the grill and the exhaust headers are routed near the firewall. Also the engine is mounted using hydraulic mounts and not rubber ones. The engine bay looks very empty with that puny 1.2L engine.
Just like in Palio/Adventure?

Quote:
Thanks for the comments, Vid. Not only is this engine so obviously unsuited for a premium hatch, but we can only imagine the kind of FE / wear & tear on an engine that has to be worked to hard.
We have the same CRDi engine that came in the Elantra in various tunes ranging from 115 to 150bhp. As per your comment, the 150bhp ones will have greater wear and tear then?
Old 30th January 2009, 14:27   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
We have the same CRDi engine that came in the Elantra in various tunes ranging from 115 to 150bhp. As per your comment, the 150bhp ones will have greater wear and tear then?
I think he meant the opposite---the i20 with a smaller capacity engine needs to be revved hard to get mininal performance. Therefore it is prone to wearing out faster.
Old 30th January 2009, 15:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I think he meant the opposite---the i20 with a smaller capacity engine needs to be revved hard to get mininal performance. Therefore it is prone to wearing out faster.
Aha.

But wont an engine be working more when its in 150bhp mode which initially was doing 115bhp? Maybe then the engine would have got other mechanical mods too right?
Old 30th January 2009, 18:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
Hi,

Test Drove the I20.
The car looks good, fit & finish is good, legroom enough,Good boot space & practical. Has all the trim level in the Basic version Magna.

The Engine is very smooth in 1st gear, My Accent becomes noisy if i rev it in the 1st gear.But i couldnt get the power in the 3rd gear that my Accent delivers.

My Accent is 5 years old and i was thinking of a replacement.My budjet is around max 6 lakhs. Please advice is it a wise idea to replace i20 with my Accent.The Accent suspension is as smooth as the i20's, and has more power.

4.Buying a new car

The new Accent executive Onroad chennai comes to 5.49 lakhs that too we can get discounts to atleast 20k or more..ie. 5.30 onroad, where as i20 magna comes onroad at 5.40 with no discounts.The Accent is also fully loaded good car and more power.

No No i dont want to buy Accent again, but just comparing reasons why people may prefer i20 (just because its new).

Personally i liked the i20 but dont know what i will feel if i give away my accent for it.

Thanks
Krish

Your Budget is 6L Including money you'll get from selling accent or excluding it?? Whats your running Bro?? If its high why not go for Swift Diesel? Swift seems to be best option in my mind @ budget below 6L. Still it cant be compared to accent in comfort department. I would suggest you to keep your accent and wait until a bigger engine i20 comes or wait for Grand Punto and Honda Jazz.

For Swift D the waiting period is huge.

Your Purchasing a new car makes sense only if it is Verna, SX4, City.
Old 30th January 2009, 19:07   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
Hi,

Test Drove the I20.

4.Buying a new car

Thanks
Krish
Which accent you have 1.6L or 1.5L? how much u had done?

u r right about the 3rd gear part. hyundai cars pulls really well in their 3rd gear, but i20? nah!
Old 30th January 2009, 23:24   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Which accent you have 1.6L or 1.5L? how much u had done?

u r right about the 3rd gear part. hyundai cars pulls really well in their 3rd gear, but i20? nah!
I have 1.5 94 Bhp, Its a 2002 Model. Done 57000 Kms.

Accent Executive 5.4 on road
Hyundai magna 5.3 on road
which looks better in comparison of the above?

Swift, ok but the thing is without much luggage space a diesel is a waste for long drives. I hit atleast 2 major long drives a year & i dont want to rent a car for that after buying a new car.

My Accent pulls with full load ac from 1000 rpm \ 20km without any engine noise. The city drivability & suspension is too good.But the 120 didnt feel that powerful.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks