Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 14:59   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Absolutely.

I sat in one, and wanted it.

I read this thread... and don't even want to bother driving one until they are available with a bit more power.
I would say it will be a terrible mistake if you did not drive it. It is not at all weak by any standards, unless you want to do racing with it, that is. A more powerful engine may be a good option but then an increased price tag will make it even more difficult to justify. For this price, you will never get a better equipped car in the near future, especially considering the new Verna which doesn't even have Airbag, steering controls etc.
Old 13th February 2009, 15:12   #92
BHPian

hey appuchan, when are you getting the car? Its surprising we don't yet have a ownership report on the i20, eagerly awaiting yours. Someone else seems to have got delivery of a black one here, haven't heard on that either.

Regarding being loaded, yes the i20 does have a lot of stuff, but I think moving on we will increasingly get better featured cars from most manufacturers, at least I hope so after the Linea and i20.
Old 13th February 2009, 16:16   #93
BHPian

I am right now stuck outside India and hence not able to take delivery as scheduled. Will keep you posted once that happens sometime next week.
Old 14th February 2009, 00:53   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I would say it will be a terrible mistake if you did not drive it. It is not at all weak by any standards, unless you want to do racing with it, that is.
Racing... No! Not me! So thanks for that advice.

My purchase is not imminent anyway (it might well have been had the world economy not collapsed) so things may have changed by the time I do, or I might be having to make that Swift last anyway!

I'm no boy racer (no boy, even, as my balding head reminds me) but... I wouldn't want to change to something that has less punch than the diesel Swift...

Kun Hyundai is just round the corner...

Will see...
Old 14th February 2009, 12:31   #95
BHPian

Does anyone know what is the exact 0-100 timing for this because the reviews in the Indian mags varies by a whopping 3.5 secs, autocar and whatcar puts it at 15.2, the rest overdrive, autobild et all put it at 12.9 to 13.3 secs, so what is the real figure? The UK one with 1256cc 77bhp is 12.9 secs.

Infact Autobild's latest review on the Hyundai site has the i20 faster than both Swift and Fabia across ALL speed ranges which is a bit strange to say the least. Who to trust here?

Last edited by raul : 14th February 2009 at 12:33.
Old 14th February 2009, 12:57   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Does anyone know what is the exact 0-100 timing for this because the reviews in the Indian mags varies by a whopping 3.5 secs, autocar and whatcar puts it at 15.2, the rest overdrive, autobild et all put it at 12.9 to 13.3 secs, so what is the real figure? The UK one with 1256cc 77bhp is 12.9 secs.

Infact Autobild's latest review on the Hyundai site has the i20 faster than both Swift and Fabia across ALL speed ranges which is a bit strange to say the least. Who to trust here?
raul maharaj is it really such a big deal if 0-100 is 13s or 14s???

I'd say probably all of them are true. It just shows 0-100 is not just about the car but whos driving as well (esp since one of them - autobild, managed i20 beat Swift!!!)

But I rather agree with conclusions of most of them. i20s 1.2 engine is latest and is way forward (Euro V ready, good mileage etc). Fabia 1.2 has 3 pot generations old engine, Swift engine is also generations old (the car itself is now generations old - time for a fresh Swift isint it? Honda gives a new city every 3 years). i20 is still better than the other two (esp in daily city drives).

Last edited by joslicx : 14th February 2009 at 13:00.
Old 19th February 2009, 18:55   #97
BHPian

Quote:
I am right now stuck outside India and hence not able to take delivery as scheduled. Will keep you posted once that happens sometime next week.
Hi Appuchan

Are you back in India yet ? When's the i20 Asta coming ? Eagerly awaiting your delivery story, car pics and later the ownership report !!

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 20th February 2009, 20:04   #98
Senior - BHPian

Check these UK features ! Source Hyundai | New Cars | I20 | Technical So there is a time we can see 1.4 Petrol and Diesel on Indian roads soon (for those who complain about low powered engine).
Hyundai i20 Test Drive and Video Review-i20uk.jpg

I am going for a test drive with my brother next week. I like almost everything about this model. For me, its a comfortable vehicle in the cramped city roads with enough space for various needs. I was considering a sedan upgrade, but having my needs 90% of the time within the city, I cant think of a sedan. i20 fairs decent for even occasional high-way needs, specially with all its safety features which put many of our present sedans south of 10 laks to utter shame !

To those who complain about low powered engine: In a city like Bangalore or Mumbai or Delhi, do you ever go above 60 kmph anytime (also think about the legally permitted speed in most city areas), be it a 1.0, 1.6 or even 2.5 engine ? A low powered engine in the city will think (imagine it has brains), "Oh I am running perfectly ok and I am healthy and happy". A high powered engine in the city will think "Why this maniac is riding me like a cycle? Cant he go faster so that I can stretch my legs?" Just my 2 cents here !

Last edited by shajufx : 20th February 2009 at 20:07.
Old 21st February 2009, 13:03   #99
BHPian

Guyz, my i20 Asta is coming today afternoon. Will post details and pictures tonight or tomorrow.
Old 21st February 2009, 14:55   #100
Senior - BHPian

Hope you post your impressions without delay, I will be going online only to check that today and tomorow (sat and sun). Congratulations on the decision. Hope to join you soon !
Old 21st February 2009, 15:23   #101
Senior - BHPian

i20 is a wonderful car considering the features especially the safety one's.
Kappa engine is not that bad in i20. It has good low end torque for city driving. You will have to make the engine work harder on highways.

The best option in i20 would be a 1.5 CRDi with 110 BHP or atleast a 1.4 petrol with over 90 horses but that will be very expensive.
Old 21st February 2009, 22:18   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guyz, my i20 Asta is coming today afternoon. Will post details and pictures tonight or tomorrow.
appuchan bhai eagerly waiting for your detailed review (speaking as a prospective customer unless Honda can give me that extra 50k discount on NHC CVT).

Today I had a test drive of Skoda Fabia 1.2 Ambiente. Have to say I am mighty impressed (despite the engine not being responsive at all - its very much like my Alto as it takes ages to accelerate). I interiors are very comfy and classy (although nothing in comparison to NHC!) The gear shift is a joy to use. Doors have that Fiat 'thud' in them. And the car definitely looks beautiful. Skoda has discontinued the 1.4 Petrol and are now offering the Elegance Version on 1.2 engine itself. Cost is:
1.2 Ambiente - 6.3 lakhs OTR Delhi
1.2 Elegance - 6.8 lakhs OTR Delhi
The only discount being offered on this 'hot-selling' car is 50% off on insurance! That amounts to a massive Rs. 8000! Thank you Skoda for the generosity.
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:02   #103
Senior - BHPian

My eyes are on i20 asta which is approx 5.60 exshowroom in bangalore. Not really feeling like testing the fabia as my cousine had to spent a fortune on maintaining his octavia over the last 3 years ! So, I dont think Fabia maintenance will come cheap !
Old 22nd February 2009, 15:13   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
To those who complain about low powered engine: In a city like Bangalore or Mumbai or Delhi, do you ever go above 60 kmph anytime (also think about the legally permitted speed in most city areas), be it a 1.0, 1.6 or even 2.5 engine ? A low powered engine in the city will think (imagine it has brains), "Oh I am running perfectly ok and I am healthy and happy". A high powered engine in the city will think "Why this maniac is riding me like a cycle? Cant he go faster so that I can stretch my legs?" Just my 2 cents here !
This statement is hilarious at best, tell you why:

1. A more powerful engine will perform better within the city as well. With superior low-end performance and a punchier mid-range. Plus, it wont struggle to climb up a Valkeshwar / Hanging Gardens incline with 3 - 4 passengers on board (which the i20 1.2 does!). And on the highway, when you have to overtake that 75kph truck, you will appreciate the quick overtaking manouveur that a powerful engine gave you. Remember, we aren't asking for a turbocharged V12 here. Merely a unit that can do a competent job.

2. You are paying a premium price. Why should you not get a premium engine?
Old 22nd February 2009, 15:48   #105
Senior - BHPian

I happened to spot 2 i20's on Friday. One was a white demo car and the other was again white driving along the Chembur-Vashi highway. I fell in love with the looks of the car. It has PREMIUM stamped all over it. In fact, on the highway, there was white ANHC in front of me and I wanted to look at the i20 rather then the City. From the back, the i20 looks like a more expensive car then the ANHC thanks to it's beautifully shaped backside. Great car, smashing looks. I'd buy one with my eyes closed IF ONLY it came with a 1.4L Crdi unit. Damn it Hyundai!

Last edited by amit : 22nd February 2009 at 15:50.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed