Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 19:24   #1
BHPian

Another Fiat Linea joins the club......

Hi Guys,

It's nice to be back on t-bhp after such a long time. Just thought I'd let you know that I bought a Fiat Linea Emotion MJD (minus option pack) two days ago from RF Motors, Kochi. I Test drove the car a few ago when I was in town. I wanted to get a new car even since I came to India for my holidays. I was considering the Verna (being an ex-hyundai dealer person myself) and the Ford Fiesta, both diesel. For various reasons, I didn't buy either and now there's a Minimal Grey (Fiat speak for silver?) Linea in my driveway. I will post some pictures soon....

The car has got everyhing I need and the pricing is brilliant. Agreed, the performance is nothing to rave about, but then that does not concern me much as it will be my Dad who will drive it most of the year anyway. I must say that I was pretty apprehensive about buying a Fiat, something that is not so uncommon on t-bhp. But having owned a Fiat Bravo 1.8 in the UK, I decided to risk it anyway. I have read quite a few negative remarks about the aforementioned dealer, but my TD & sales experince has been quite good. Touchwood! Till TATA/Fiat decides on a new dealer in Calicut, my car will regulary make the trip down to Kochi for service and maintenance.

As fas as initial reviews on the Fiat is concerned, it seems to be a well-made car. As I said before, performance is just about adequate for a new-gen diesel. Quality of plastics/rubber are good. The car is definitely VFM considering the features and options available. Good paintjob although exterior PDI could be much better. The suspension is brilliant as one would expect from a Fiat. My only concern (for now atleast) is that the ground clearance of the car is poor. No matter what Fiat say's on paper, the actual scenario is really bad. I should know, I've had the car only two days and the car's already scraped tarmac a few times. Yesterday, the car got stuck while I tried to to drive the car out of a local cinema. I couldn't get the car to run over a small hump just outside the cinema. The car was almost 'beached'!I sheepishly had to ask my family to get out, but the car still scraped over the hump. I am seriously considering changing over to larger tyres jsut because of this.

The car is bog standard as of now. While alloys/tyres and leathers are in the car's near future, I am thinking of changing the lights to HID/Xenons as soon as. The Linea's OE lights are fine, but I'd still like to go for HIDs if I could. Fiats (as is the case with most modern cars nowadays) have been known to cause issues with retrofitted electrical accessories. Can someone shed some light on this?

Last edited by coloneljasi : 9th February 2009 at 19:28.
Old 9th February 2009, 19:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new purchase! Please post a detailed ownership experience and of course the pics!
Old 9th February 2009, 19:37   #3
BHPian

congrats mate!!
apart from the scare of Fiat A.S.S the car is a definite VFM.
GC seems to be a tad too low. hopefully bigger rims will solve the issue.
waiting for the pics now.
Old 9th February 2009, 19:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey dude. Congrats on the purchase. It sure looks damn beautiful.
Waiting for the pics and detailed report.
Old 9th February 2009, 19:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

COngrats mate!
Surprisingly didnt see the ground clearance complaint from the first person who got delivery of Linea here in T-bhp or maybe my memory is bad. Will check again.
Enjoy the moment and do post pics and more review.
Old 9th February 2009, 20:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Linea's ground clearance is actually low(161mm) but doesn't look like on road cuz it's a huge car and the proportions are such that you would think the ground clearance is pretty good; unlike the Honda City.You look at it and you'll notice the low stance even though it has the same ground clearance(160mm).
Old 9th February 2009, 22:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy! Thatz the 2nd Linea at T-BHP!
Old 10th February 2009, 09:29   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
... from RF Motors, Kochi.
Ah. After all...

Quote:
I was considering the Verna (being an ex-hyundai dealer person myself) and the Ford Fiesta, both diesel. For various reasons, I didn't buy either and now there's a Minimal Grey (Fiat speak for silver?) Linea in my driveway
Why? We are looking forward to the reasons you find linea better than the verna.

Quote:
Till TATA/Fiat decides on a new dealer in Calicut,
Means? No Tata Fiat dealer in Calicut? I am no so sure. I remember seeing something on Kannur road, beyong Nadakkav PS.

Quote:
I sheepishly had to ask my family to get out, but the car still scraped over the hump. I am seriously considering changing over to larger tyres jsut because of this.
If this is a private road, I guess you should ignore this. How did it handle the potholes post Kunnamkulam? (I guess there are several of them between Kunnamkulam and Kottackal due to road works?)

Any congrats on the purchase, and another congrats for being brave and buying it from the particular dealer. :-D
Old 10th February 2009, 11:07   #9
BHPian

Congrats ColonelJasi! Please upload some pictures of your Linea!

Cheers!!!
Old 10th February 2009, 11:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car. Really surprising to read about the low ground clearance, since none of the reviews anywhere else have mentioned this. Was the speedbreaker a normal one or really high?

Wish you and your dad loads of driving pleasure. Do post some snaps and a detailed review once you've upgraded the rubber.
Old 10th February 2009, 12:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

congrats buddy

but where are the pics ?
Old 10th February 2009, 12:44   #12
BHPian

Hearty Congratulation Sir. Good to see another Linea owner on the forum. after the first one was kidnapped( Vancity is nowhere to be seen). Do post the initial reviews soon, and yaar how can you keep us waiting for the pictures.
Old 10th February 2009, 23:07   #13
BHPian

Awesome, congrats. GC review worries me. Is it because the Road was really really bad? Does this happen everywhere?
Old 11th February 2009, 04:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the buy!

Ground clearance issue causing you to get "beached"! Well, that is a first one!

Anyway, did you get the car checked after this? Just take it to the service center or any place where they can lift the car and have a visual check. Better safe.

Along with the tire, why don't you try to get some spacers as well, to increase the GC? But do check with the dealer on the warranty before you try any of this.

Happy motoring!
Old 11th February 2009, 11:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. It seems Pune people get their Lineas last of all, while Jalandhar / Kochi are closer to the factory.

Average Ground Clearance + Long wheelbase = problem (?). Just asking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks