Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 14:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

well thats so soothing feel once you get your car back from service without any hiccups or complains and also the service staff who knows good quality supplied.Keep updating.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:16   #47
sps
BHPian

my first scratch :(

Yes it happened. And that too at my home where I know every length and breadth. May be that overconfidence did me in. But it was a very very small scratch. Still it being the first I had all to go through all the emotions.

I was reversing the vehicle. There was a pillar right in the middle. I could see the pillar. The bottom of the pillar had slightly more diameter than the top. Due my overconfidence I made a calculation and decided to reverse it to the maximum . Just when I stopped, back bumper kissed the concrete pillar. When I released my brake, the surfaces scratched. voila that is it. back bumper traded paints with the pillar.

My friend who was standing nearby told me that there is a minor scratch. When I went back, I could see some small paint markings on the pillar. And to my surprise it happened exactly on top of one of the sensors. Did I hear my reverse sensor making alarm sounds when it reached close. I don't remember, since I do not have full confidence in reverse sensors i don't care much about its alarms when I have already seen the area where I need to take the car in reverse.

After 2 - 3 days I noticed that when reversing the sensor starts to raise the alarm tone before danger zone is reached. On contacting the dealer, the first question he asked was, did the sensor hit some object. so I assume that this faulty alarm is due to the sensor which hit the pillar.

It is just a scratch, no dent. Still it being the first, it deserves everything to be thought of again and again. Have to take the vehicle to the dealer for repairing the reverse sensor. At that time will decide what to do with the scratch.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Oooppss... SPS! What a pain!

But then, look at the bright side, it is just a scratch. Just the right amount to give you a wake up call.
Old 27th March 2009, 17:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Oooppss... SPS! What a pain!

But then, look at the bright side, it is just a scratch. Just the right amount to give you a wake up call.
yup its a wake up call sps, but sorry to hear about that scratch, its always painful to see a scar on our car.Be safe and keep updating, for parking sensors i guess it stops once it hits something, users put more info.
Old 27th March 2009, 18:31   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
yup its a wake up call sps, but sorry to hear about that scratch, its always painful to see a scar on our car.Be safe and keep updating, for parking sensors i guess it stops once it hits something, users put more info.
I don't think so, as in my Innova I have it keep becomign loud if keep on pressing to hard while ignoring the warning it gave earlier.

Regarding scratch it really heart, but if its your mistake you will forget after few days. In my case one kid in our locality passing though the cars and stop near my rear door on driver side and move on. To my utter surprise when I came out to see car cleaner I ask him who did this, he himself doesn't now, but telling 2 kids came on cycle. Now what happened is when one kid tries to stop he took rest on my door and sharp corner of his handle peel of paint in thick line of approx 1 inch. I was disturb and even went to their home. But you can't do anything na, they have excuse of being Kid .
Old 27th March 2009, 19:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

The scratches that ones makes on their own ride is something that we tend to forget or that we see as 'ok' after some time. But then ones that others make are the ones that hurt for a long time, actually, each time you see it. :(

SPS: Will you able to hide the scratch using nail polish?
Old 28th March 2009, 00:21   #52
sps
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Regarding scratch it really heart, but if its your mistake you will forget after few days. In my case one kid in our locality passing though the cars and stop near my rear door on driver side and move on. To my utter surprise when I came out to see car cleaner I ask him who did this, he himself doesn't now, but telling 2 kids came on cycle. Now what happened is when one kid tries to stop he took rest on my door and sharp corner of his handle peel of paint in thick line of approx 1 inch. I was disturb and even went to their home. But you can't do anything na, they have excuse of being Kid .
Hmm that is bad. Did you do anything to correct it? is it clearly visible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
The scratches that ones makes on their own ride is something that we tend to forget or that we see as 'ok' after some time. But then ones that others make are the ones that hurt for a long time, actually, each time you see it. :(

SPS: Will you able to hide the scratch using nail polish?
That's quite true. Well, I did not do any experiment. Let me hear what the dealer has to say. Then will try out something myself.
One thing I noticed in Innova is that both the bumper's paint are having mat finish. It is clearly evident. They must have deliberately done that, so that the scratches in bumber will not be very prominent.

I am thinking about a small touch up job also. Parking sensor anyway was painted by the dealer. So it can be repainted - not a big issue. First of all I have to correct the problem with the danger alert sound of parking sensors even when there is no obstacle around
Old 28th March 2009, 13:13   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Hmm that is bad. Did you do anything to correct it? is it clearly visible?
No man, paint is gone from that area. Only thing is either touching it up with brush paint or leave it like this. So choose other option and putting rock on my heart. As its on driver side, I can't ignore it too
Old 29th March 2009, 23:17   #54
sps
BHPian

Scratch repainted, sensor repaired, sunfilm installed

I badly needed a sunfilm as the sun's heat is increasing day by day and I have many trips to make in next 2 months.

Wanted to go for 3m/llumar, but the lack of expert installation in my town made me decide against it.

Went to the dealer for repairing faulty sensor and doing something on scratch.
The scratched area was touched up neatly using the same color paint and voila it is gone . This was done free of cost.

The sensor's base unit was faulty. Dealer agreed to replace it under warranty.

Meanwhile I saw that they were fitting sunfilm on another vehicle. One of the installers of the dealer was fitting the sunfilm. On enquiry I found out that he has been there for the last 3 years and hez doing atleast 10 film installations per week. I asked for his feedback for the best film. He told that he won't recommend any particular film for me, but on repeated enquiry he told that the one which he sticks on the front windshield is really good, since from inside the visibility is really high. From outside based on different viewing angles the visibility is different.

He showed me the packing of the one which he was installing. I asked him about the issue of deffoger with the back sun film. He clearly explained to me that the issue will come up only if he uses knife for cutting the film after pasting it on the windshield, which he won't do. Also the issue mainly comes up while removing the sunfilm, since people usually uses knife for this. The actual way is to use some solution.

Its name was sunshield premium gold, visibility was marked as 50% to 70% based on viewing angle, heat rejection 60%. Well I doubted whether it is indented for automobiles even though the packing had clearly mentioned it for automobiles. Neverthless I enquired the my service advisor about it. I told him that I want to know about its effectiveness. He took me to the service centre. Luckily one vehicle with exactly the same film came there for service. Immediately I asked the owner for feedback. He gave full marks to the heat rejection ability and he had installed this 1 yr back. I got inside his vehicle and checked. Visibilty from inside was superb, viz we don't feel like film is pasted.

I ordered for fixing this film. Cost was 4500/- for the sides. Did not fix it for the front wind shield. Warranty was for 3 yrs.
Old 6th April 2009, 00:50   #55
sps
BHPian

pics with the new sunfilm

Went for 2 long drives last week. Could feel a marked difference in heat from the sides due to the new film. So overall experience till now is good. It is like, we can feel the sun inside but not the heat.

One of pic which I clicked last week after a 200km drive is given here.
In this pic it seems that the nothing inside is visible. But in reality it is not so.
My new home on highways - simpson red Toyota Innova-dsc023121.jpg
Old 14th April 2009, 00:34   #56
BHPian

PDR - Paintless Dent Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
It is just a scratch, no dent. Still it being the first, it deserves everything to be thought of again and again. Have to take the vehicle to the dealer for repairing the reverse sensor. At that time will decide what to do with the scratch.
not for scratches but for dent I have been reading a lot on PDR (paintless dent removal) process, using dry ice / CO2

havent got down to trying yet but will need to do that soon as I do have a perfect dent to try it out
Old 24th April 2009, 16:39   #57
sps
BHPian

2000 km trip, trivandrum, calicut, bangalore palaghat, trivandrum

Back from a refreshing week long trip to bangalore via calicut and back to trivandrum via palghat.

The vehicle met all my expectations due to following facts

1. Mile munching with ease in highways and not so good roads
2. Supreme comfort for passengers with good chilling ac even in the summer sun
3. Never felt lack of power.
4. Very less body roll in the twisties at gudallur, gundalpet section. Did not exceed speed of 50Km in this stretch
5. Touched a top speed on 145 ks in the mysore bangalore stretch. vehicle was quite stable even in those speeds
6. Was little bit apprehensive about the manoverability in bangalore traffic. But it was a cakewalk.
7. Did a continuous drive of 700 kms bangalore-tvm during return trip. Comfortably doable in such a vehicle. Total journey time of 14hrs with total break time of 2 hrs.

Overall I enjoyed the drive. Plan to write a travelogue with pictures soon. (as soon as I get time)
Odo reading now at 5500km. Vehicle is due for second service. Called up and fixed appointment. Service person mentioned that it is just routine checkup and water service.

One pic taken at the palaghat - walayar stretch is here.
My new home on highways - simpson red Toyota Innova-dsc03051walayar.jpg

Last edited by sps : 24th April 2009 at 16:40.
Old 24th April 2009, 17:26   #58
BHPian

Nice updates from your trips SPS. Also from what I am reading I am assuming the highways and roads connecting town and cities between these three states - KL, KA, and TN - are pretty neat.

I wish all the construction I am seeing on the NH-7 connecting Bangalore and Hyderabad will realize one day, 'coz that's the highway I'll be using mostly in the near future
Old 24th April 2009, 18:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

Sps, this truly is a tourer! has all the qualities of a vehicle which is perfect for long distance...

enjoy it
Old 24th April 2009, 18:36   #60
BHPian

B'lore - Tvm in 12hrs of drive time is very very impressive. Its more like 750 odd kms. Happy Mile Munching

Most Viewed