Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 18:05   #61
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Update:
on the twisty uphill U-turns,it wasn't as comfortable to drive as a petrol as we had to keep the engine in the correct rpm range to avoid getting bogged down.Not very difficult though.
Time to learn heel and toe?
The other option is to carry higher speed in the corners, but I dont feel that is safe on our roads, where lane discipline is non existent.

Old 20th March 2009, 18:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would it be too much to ask to get the second picture with the dark alloys redone with the darkest shade of black possible please?
Not at all. Here you go, consider blackening the b-pillar too.

Maverick's Silent Assassin - Hyundai Elantra CRDi! Edit: Now Filtered and Pete'd-elan-black-pil.jpg
Old 20th March 2009, 18:45   #63
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Time to learn heel and toe?
The other option is to carry higher speed in the corners, but I dont feel that is safe on our roads, where lane discipline is non existent.
From my experience I find H&T on diesel cars a tad difficult as you don't have enough revs to play with. Before you realize you are below boost and it gets sluggish or you over rev and it spoils the whole fun. I feel carrying higher speeds into corners is the better way, just before braking blip the throttle and get back on it at the earliest.

To make driving a pleasure on a turbo diesel its always necessary to be in the right gear and make sure you have boost at all times.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 20th March 2009 at 18:47.
Old 20th March 2009, 19:10   #64
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
From my experience I find H&T on diesel cars a tad difficult as you don't have enough revs to play with. Before you realize you are below boost and it gets sluggish or you over rev and it spoils the whole fun. I feel carrying higher speeds into corners is the better way, just before braking blip the throttle and get back on it at the earliest.

To make driving a pleasure on a turbo diesel its always necessary to be in the right gear and make sure you have boost at all times.
Yes its difficult. If not timed properly we either end up with turbo lag or torque steer + wheelspin mid corner
But, it is such a sense of achievement, the rare occasion that I get a corner right.

have not tried blipping throttle before braking. Not keen to try it though. Front end lifts when I blip the throttle, then when I pile on the brakes ,wheels lock due to the sudden front-back weight transfer. This happens even when accelerating hard in a straight line, would hate to experience it on the entry into a corner.
I need a suspension upgrade

Staying on boost is easy most of the time. Problem comes when There is a tight U turn during a climb. I fall right between the gap of 1st and 2nd gears.
All this should be much easier in an Elantra with the TCS,EBD and ABS. Sigh!

Last edited by rippergeo : 20th March 2009 at 19:13.

Old 20th March 2009, 19:42   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Not at all. Here you go, consider blackening the b-pillar too.
Thanks a ton mate..Appreciate your efforts.Looks killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post

Could not agree more,thats exactly my experience
Old 20th March 2009, 20:54   #66
BHPian

yes badboyscad gave the exact tone of black i had in my mind when i suggested you to get the blackened alloys for your white car. The contrast it creates gives an amazing look to the car. But i suggest you to get better alloys as well as the current ones look bit bland. Something like 10 spoke alloy with mat black finish, bigger and better tyres will definately make you car look more menacing. But yes first the PETES
Old 24th March 2009, 22:14   #67
BHPian

Some more pics of the car.
The Pete's box plus a Green stock replacement filter are going in tomorrow afternoon, couldn't source a K&N and the dealers were not bothered so had to go in for a Green. I can hardly wait

@ashish22 - wish I had the moolah to change the alloys but that'll have to wait, I'm spending as much as I can spare for the upgrades. The Michelins and the ICE are next on my list, as soon as I find a bank I can rob
Attached Thumbnails
Maverick's Silent Assassin - Hyundai Elantra CRDi! Edit: Now Filtered and Pete'd-elantrac1.jpg  

Maverick's Silent Assassin - Hyundai Elantra CRDi! Edit: Now Filtered and Pete'd-elantrac3.jpg  

Maverick's Silent Assassin - Hyundai Elantra CRDi! Edit: Now Filtered and Pete'd-elantrac4.jpg  

Maverick's Silent Assassin - Hyundai Elantra CRDi! Edit: Now Filtered and Pete'd-elantrac5.jpg  

Maverick's Silent Assassin - Hyundai Elantra CRDi! Edit: Now Filtered and Pete'd-elantrac6.jpg  

Maverick's Silent Assassin - Hyundai Elantra CRDi! Edit: Now Filtered and Pete'd-elantrac7.jpg  

Old 7th April 2009, 14:23   #68
alphamike

hey maverick, many congratulations for the new elantra, i know, its very hard to shorten your views and review. i fought with Hyundai motor company for more than 2 months for a brand new Elantra Crdi after the company saying YES and the dealers in B'lore denying that the production has been stopped for more than 6 months and there's no diesel available any more.
Performance wise you are to the point. I have driven from Bangalore to Mumbai in 12 hours with 2 hours stop ( 300km-1hr-300km-1 hrs-400 km) 7am to 7pm. I cruised at 2500 rmp (120kmph) and ve touched 195 kmph without flooring the pedal. I had my 65 yrs old mom, her 62 yrs old sister, 18 & 16 yrs old cousins and a dog. Awesome car for highway driving.
I am off to Wayanad for 2 days and to kerala for a week off starting friday. I ve done close to 24k now and the car is still new. i upgraded the tyres to 205*55*R16 (appolo accelere sports) awesome but i think the best would be Michelins PP2.
I haven the HIDs for the low beams (visionX 3 yrs warranty) and philips white light bulbs. Pls don't put HID for high beams or else asking pass/flashing on highways is a problem. The green cotton filters allows the heart to breath very very easily and you will make out the difference immediatel.
cheers, enjoy, drive & be safe
alphamike

Old 8th April 2009, 12:04   #69
BHPian

Update - Pete'd & Filtered

@alphamike- Congrats mate, you must be the only person here with an 07 Elantra. Yours must be the youngest in India. Enjoy your ride. Have you Pete'd it? If not, please do buddy.

After much deliberation, I realised that all you guys were right, I just couldn't wait for the warranty to expire to get the Pete's box
Plus I thought it would be a good idea to check out any issues while the car is still under warranty. Clarified all my doubts with Peter and got in touch with their dealer in Mumbai. I originally wanted a K&N to go with the box but after checking with K&N dealers in Mumbai and finding out that none of them had one for the Elantra in stock, I decided to go in for the Green cotton stock replacement filter.

Special mention must be made here of Peter who was extremely patient and helpful with all my queries. Also credit to their dealer in Mumbai (Neville) who, along with Rishad, was extremely professional and most importantly, delivered on time. Unlike my usual experiences with other people, these guys kept their commitments to the T and I didn't have to run around & wait as is the norm in India for anything. A big vote of thanks to Peter & his team, a 10 on 10 for them.

All this was about two weeks back, my brother had gone for the install and his first sms after driving the car was : "The car is mindblowing ! Feels like petrol !" I couldn't wait and rushed to Bandra to TD myself. Dropped my bro home first and was careful with him in the car. Then I went out with my friend around 11pm, got a small empty stretch and floored it in 1st and repeated in 2nd. Mindblowing is the right word ! So much more torque, so much better acceleration, so much minimisation of turbolag that we were pushed back in our seats, quite literally. The look on my friend's face said it all. From then on, it has been impossible not to redline the car everytime I get an open stretch, and it goes up to insane speeds so quickly that I am just catching up to other cars waaayyyy too fast to even enjoy it in the city. I did take it out on the Mumbai - Pune expressway on the day of the Lonavala meet, great pickup through the gears and was catching up to others too fast. A couple of Accords gave me way without my honking / flashing after they realised I was bearing down on them too quickly. Reached a top whack of 195 kph (speedo read) easily with 3 people in the car & the AC on before an Alto & another car playing tortoise in the right & middle lanes did not let me through in time to reach higher speeds. Must mention that at those speeds, the current MRF ZV2Ks are good but not highly confidence inspiring , so we decided to give it a rest for now. Went at 140+ & redlined for most of the journey there, and maintained 100 consistently on the way back. Combined FE for the trip was roughly 16kpl so the box hasn't affected the FE badly. The car is a bit louder now with the filter but nothing significant for me.

All in all, I am highly impressed. The car was very good earlier but now it simply flies. In city driving is much easier due to the better low end pickup. And once the turbo kicks in, its bye-bye time for most cars. Everytime I floor the throttle (especially at empty stretch signal launches), the surge and the sight of all those other cars in the mirror) brings a wicked smile to my face.

BTW, did I mention that the box is still on normal setting and I will be increasing the setting to +1 this week?

(PS- I have been driving fast but responsibly and the car's limits / characteristics especially in city driving have always been kept in mind.)

Last edited by maverick030581 : 8th April 2009 at 12:09.
Old 26th April 2009, 10:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on installing the Pete's PSI and the Air filter.Enjoy . Even though you got ABS, TCS , Airbags etc, still Safety should be your first priority.
Old 26th April 2009, 11:17   #71
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, did I mention that the box is still on normal setting and I will be increasing the setting to +1 this week?
whats the difference between normal and 1+ setting
and also what are your 0-100 timings before and after fitting the box
Old 29th April 2009, 16:20   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Congrats on installing the Pete's PSI and the Air filter.Enjoy . Even though you got ABS, TCS , Airbags etc, still Safety should be your first priority.
Thanks mate. Safety is always my top priority, mine as well as that of others. I don't push it beyond what I feel the car is capable of, especially with my MRFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
whats the difference between normal and 1+ setting
and also what are your 0-100 timings before and after fitting the box
A difference of 5-7 bhp claimed by Peter between the normal and +1 settings. The PSI box widens the injector pulses so they stay open longer, letting more fuel into the engine. I'm guessing the two settings are just different in how much they widen the pulses. There is a +2 setting as well but that will be tried later, +1 or normal setting is recommended. The highest setting leads to oversmoking due to excess unburnt fuel. Will be changing from normal to +1 on Saturday.

I don't have the equipment to test the 0-100 timings but the car is quite different after the box has been put in, especially with lesser turbolag and improved acceleration. BTW stock figures for an Elantra tested by ACI were 11.62 secs to the ton.
Old 29th April 2009, 17:41   #73
BHPian

Nice car Maverick. lucky you! Do be safe. Guys what is the engine that the elantra has. Is it a 4 cyl engine or a 3 cyl one. And is it 2.0L or something else?
Old 29th April 2009, 18:08   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
Nice car Maverick. lucky you! Do be safe. Guys what is the engine that the elantra has. Is it a 4 cyl engine or a 3 cyl one. And is it 2.0L or something else?
4 cylinder, 2.0L engine mate. The 3-cylinder engine is in the Accent CRDi.
Old 29th April 2009, 21:03   #75
BHPian

good going maverick. Btw you might want to look at race dynamics ECU remap as well :P
power is never enough isnt it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks