Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 16:39   #1
BHPian

Maverick's Silent Assassin - Hyundai Elantra CRDi! Edit: Now Filtered and Pete'd

Hi all,

This is my first review so it may steer wildly from one topic to another and seem incoherent but that’s just my excitement, so please bear with me !

It all started in June/July 08 that I started to analyse my life and figured out that the excitement factor had dropped substantially.A large part of this was due to the fact that I love driving and my trusted petrol Accent of the past 3 years had developed quite a few problems,just wasn’t fun to drive at all. When I had sold my Maruti 1000 and bought the Accent in 2005,it was a compromise as I wanted a performance car but after some family discussions I had to let that dream go at the time.However, this time I decided I was going to put my foot down and bring home a used reliable performance car only and nothing else would do.So the hunt began.

I was perpetually confused right till Jan 09,having looked at all possible options from an OHC,OHC VTEC,Baleno,Corolla,Mondeo,Fiesta et al.. Finally after much deliberating and reading tadukuttan’s review a thousand times(and daydreaming about the same) I shortlisted the Skoda 1.8 TPI and the Elantra CRDi.After reading the shockers about Skoda’s service levels and the cost of owning/maintaining a Skoda,and pm’ing tadu several times,my confusion was cleared in Jan 09.The Elantra CRDi it was then.

Logged on to carwale.com and instantly saw a very recent ad for a white Elantra on sale by an individual.I couldn’t believe my eyes,seemed too good to be true.It was a May 05 model,top end leather version,having done 58k kms,still under the 4 years/80k kms Hyundai warranty,only serviced at the Hyundai owned service centre at Cotton Green.Rubbed my eyes in disbelief,couldn’t believe that I found the perfect one so soon.Called the guy instantly and saw the car that same weekend.It was just unbelievable,after 5 minutes I knew this car was actually too good.No accidents,complete service history,immaculately maintained,just a few minor scatches and a minor dent(inevitable Mumbai war scars).The owner was a genuinely nice guy and a car enthusiast too.Had a small test drive and the car was in excellent mechanical condition too,very smooth.My first drive of an Elantra CRDi and I knew I hadn’t gone wrong basing my decision on tadu’s review.That was it, I knew this car had to be mine.I was a little apprehensive about the price as he had quoted 5 lakhs and I had already stretched my budget from an initial 3 lakhs..Let me make it clear that I am NO GOOD at bargaining/negotiations..I gave him an offer of 4.6 lakhs..Imagine my disbelief when he first said that he would not accept that offer. His next statement was,”I will not accept your offer of 4.6 lakhs.I’ll give you the car for 4.5 lakhs.” ! I was blown away by this gentleman’s attitude.He said my enthusiasm for the car was what prompted him to reduce my offer.That was a first for me, someone actually reducing my initial offer !Made me feel,with the timing of the ad on carwale.com,the condition,the offer etc that this car was meant for me! True destiny I suppose.

Now onto the car.Sparkling white,extremely clean interiors,smooth well maintained engine.I got the car on 12th Feb Thursday, braved my illness to go and pick up the car on that night as next day was Friday the 13th ! The owner was kind enough to have it serviced from the service centre a week before as the interval was up before handing it over to me.On Friday morning promptly gave the car to the service centre to get the timing belt and other belts replaced.Got the rear brake pads replaced and all major components checked.Got one of the engine mountings replaced under warranty as it was slightly cracked.Gave the car a good polishing as well.Total damages – around 16k,not bad at all.

Driving Impressions :

I have driven the car quite a bit since then and in one word,it is awesome !The engine is very refined, at idle inside the car you can’t really tell that you’re in an oilburner.Driving around though there is no mistaking the fact that it’s a diesel,although NVH levels are very decent.The initial turbolag is there for sure but believe me,once it crosses 1800 rpm and the turbo spools up,there is no looking back.It pulls like a locomotive from that point onwards.All I have to do to overtake most cars(even petrols) is rev it a bit.Till now I haven’t needed to stretch till even beyond 3000 rpm to get the better of most cars.The power surge is so effortless.This car can leave most cars trailing in its dust,and this without the Pete’s box(will get it as soon as the warranty expires in May).The gearbox is not as smooth as I would have expected and the throws are a little long but still it slots in very nicely. However unlike my old Accent (in which I have always doubted their claims of 94 bhp) the 112 horses in the Elantra are real stallions for sure ! Add to this the monstrous torque (25kgm) and you begin to have some idea of how this beast can perform.Cost of ownership?I’ve checked the spares prices.Brought a smile to my face and certainly nowhere in the league of Skoda.I just love Hyundai for this aspect.Very safe with the airbags,collision unlocking doors et al as verified by the 5 star NCAP rating. Add to this the phenomenal brakes with ABS and EBD and you have a stonker of a sleeper which is a true luxury performance car.This car has one of the shortest stopping distances in this category(refer to Autocar for stats)..The steering wheel is rather thin and I would have loved a meatier one on this car.All in all,this car simply flies once it goes above 1800 rpm.If you can figure out how to match the gear changes with the rpm band(I managed to do so after half an hour of driving) this car will pull the pants off of most cars out there.With so much torque on tap,overtaking is child’s play really.Floor the throttle and it brings a huge silly grin on your face everytime.A 0-100 time of 11.62 seconds as per ACI, with Pete’s I assume it should be atleast 1.5 seconds quicker.

Suspension and handling – As everyone probably knows, this car has a very stiff setup for the rather heavy CRDi engine and while this does make the car slightly nose-heavy, most people will not really feel the difference unless you really throw the car around on a race track.At slow speeds however, you can feel most bumps/potholes as the short throw makes the car hop over these uncomfortably.Bring it upto a bit of speed however and the very same setup simply glides over everything our roads can throw at it.And at expressway speeds it is rock steady.The high speed handling and stability is totally confidence and awe inspiring.It seems totally planted on the road and is most comfortable at triple digit speeds.The current footwear on my car is not too good, the previous owner changed to MRFs about 10k kms ago.I’ll be upgrading to 205/60 Michelin PP2s in May with the Pete’s dabba.

Interiors / Features :

A/C is a chiller, no worries there.The car has the OEM ICE setup which is okayish.I’ll be upgrading that but after several months I guess, that’s not a real priority for me..Chrome bezel tweeters,chrome handles,distance to empty, climate control,useful cubbyholes everywhere are very good features.Just love the bluish classy dials. The front seating position is ultra comfortable..Haven’t really checked the rear seat comfort and I don’t think I’m ever going to be in the rear seat of this beast !

Upgrades :

First come the Pete’s and the PP2s in May, followed by a 4300K HID setup before the rains.ICE will be upgraded probably towards the end of this year as I need a good amount for a decent setup.I’ll also be replacing the leather on the steering wheel as it has torn partially.

Economy :

I’ve been getting an average of around 12 kpl in the 500 odd kms I’ve done so far, about 80% in city and rest on city highways with A/C on all the time and aggressive driving(not quite pedal to the metal redlining yet though).

Last but not the least,my beast is DEFINITELY MALE.Unlike my Accent which was probably confused about its own gender(maybe a grandmother at best), there is no way I can even think of this monster as a she..HE is a silent, classy assassin, nothing less.

Thanks a million to tadu for his super review which I have read a million times(and also for his prompt and clear replies to my incessant pms).That was what made me fall in love with this stallion and now I can fully comprehend every word he said as well as his passion !

PS-Will be uploading pics in a couple of days as soon as I get the time.
Sorry for the looong review,my excitement has just made me ramble on and on

Last edited by maverick030581 : 18th February 2009 at 16:41.
Old 18th February 2009, 17:52   #2
BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition... dude. Elantra is a good car, no doubt. I myself have been in this quandary whether to go for a new diesel Linea/Verna or perhaps look for a pre-owned Elantra CRDI. I just love the looks of this car.

Enjoy your drive....
Old 18th February 2009, 17:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

An Amazing Report.
Congrats. The Elantra sure is a pretty good car. Waiting for the pics and more reports. 3 months. can you wait for the Pete's.
Old 18th February 2009, 17:58   #4
BHPian

@abhi
I'll have to wait yaar,the warranty is still in place and plus I'd like to drive it around stock for a while so I can appreciate the difference.I'm already having a ball,so I guess I can wait unless I happen to drive a Pete'd Elantra before May
OT-great car you have there as well mate.Had read up quite a bit on it before the scary maintenance prospects(for me) took me away from the RS.
Cheers.
Old 18th February 2009, 18:02   #5
BHPian

Congrats on the new ride.

CRDi Elantra is surely a performer!
And with 12 kpl I am sure it's gonna keep the wallet happy too.

How about some pics of the beauty.
Old 18th February 2009, 18:03   #6
BHPian

Congratulations Maverick ! Elantra sure is a great value for money car. Wish you safe and happy motoring
Old 18th February 2009, 18:42   #7
BHPian

Great buy Maverick!
The Elantra CRDI is a nice car, I was also considering to buy it, but the prices here in Bangalore are exhorbintant. It would cost atleast 5 to 5.5 lacs in Bangalore, for the same price you can get an indica vista QJD brand new.

Dont you thing 58k kms a too much and the cream of the life of the car is over? From here on the maintenance cost will be very high and the car being discontinued the price of spares will also be high?

Anyways it will be a fun car to drive.

So Cheers,
Nitin
Old 18th February 2009, 18:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Does he have any other cars for sale??
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Imagine my disbelief when he first said that he would not accept that offer. His next statement was,”I will not accept your offer of 4.6 lakhs.I’ll give you the car for 4.5 lakhs.” !

The steering wheel is rather thin and I would have loved a meatier one on this car
You can get the steering leather wrapped, it will give you more thickness and feel.
Old 18th February 2009, 18:52   #9
BHPian

maverick030581 congrats man!
thats a great buy and an absolutely brilliant performer. and do post some pics asap.
Old 18th February 2009, 19:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats bro. Elantra CRDi is favourite car of many bhpians but hyundai did a very bad job by discontinuing it. I would have definitely bought it instead of Getz CRDi.
Old 18th February 2009, 19:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on a fabulous buy Mav. The Elantra CRDi is a stonker. Getting a prestine used example is difficult but I'm happy to see you found one. Service it regularly, Hyundai service is top notch and on par with Maruti. Do post some pictures. White Elantras look great.

Enjoy your new car
Old 18th February 2009, 19:15   #12
BHPian

Congrats maverick...great car...great price...YOU HAVE A WINNER!!!!!! Do remember to get a thorough service & check-up done from a proper A.S.S. You will avoid potential problems later...specially the turbo, intercooler piping, intercooler, timing & ancillary equipment belts etc. Also get a decarb done.

Enjoy!

Last edited by 1self : 18th February 2009 at 19:24.
Old 18th February 2009, 19:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Car this one is. Finding such a good one is nearly impossibble. The price also is good.

Pics Please !!!!
Old 18th February 2009, 19:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Great buy Maverick!
The Elantra CRDI is a nice car, I was also considering to buy it, but the prices here in Bangalore are exhorbintant. It would cost atleast 5 to 5.5 lacs in Bangalore, for the same price you can get an indica vista QJD brand new.

Dont you thing 58k kms a too much and the cream of the life of the car is over? From here on the maintenance cost will be very high and the car being discontinued the price of spares will also be high?

Anyways it will be a fun car to drive.

So Cheers,
Nitin
Umm yeah, a Vista will surely be as fun as an Elantra is to drive. Yep.

As for the discontinued part, most of the engine and drivetrain components continue to do duty in Hyundai's related machine, the Sonata.
Old 18th February 2009, 19:45   #15
BHPian

@Maverick: Congratulations mate on a wonderful buy. Wish you many miles of safe and 'exciting' motoring in it.

I often dream of picking up an used Elantra(current ride M800 5sp), but as you have put it, one has to be destined for it.

Keep us posted with pics and maintenance expenses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks