Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Test Driven : All new Hyundai Sonata Transform.

Hey !

I'm here again to share another CRDi experience. I'm a complete diesel head now. Guilty and charged

Car - White Sonata Transform, 6 gear Manual CRDi
Duration of TD - 2hrs
Total Kms driven - 95 kms
Dealer - HMP Delhi

Looks - 9.5/10

Design may be a copy of many cars but you cant deny the fact that the exterior design does look classy especially the black one. They have made a few external changes to the Embera version. The headlamps are bigger and looks a copy of Jetta. Parking lamp design is similar to an Audi but without LEDs. Lot of chrome stuff has been taken off and the dual tone rear bumper is also gone. Also comes with new 10spoke alloys and 215/60-16 Hankooks.

Interiors: 8/10

Fit and finish was just amazing !! Titanium silver finish on the center console gives it a nice sporty feel. The white illumination of the speedo/tacho dials with trip odo readings in blue was looking great. There are two power outs and one USB slot. Driver seat can be adjusted in various ways to sleep or drive as u wish. lol Rear seats are just too comfortable to be driven around with ample leg room and support.

Engine : 10/10

Absolutely BRILLIANT. No turbo lag whatsoever. It just moves to 2000rpm with out a fuss and after that its always a havoc with every hyundai diesel. lol
Its the same 1991cc Detroit Diesel engine of the Elantra with a VGT and a bit of tweaking as well.

Performance and drive: 7/10 and 9/10

Went in for the TD with a lot of expectations but i along with others in car were stunned when it got smoked by my Pete'd Getz CRDi in outright acceleration. I know some people would kill me after reading that. I'm not saying its slow by any means but with 150bhp i expected a bit more. I know the my car weighs less but still i expected the extra 20bhp and whatever torque to compensate for it. It has a damn powerful AC with temperature adjustments for left and right side along with a rear duct. FE is again great as all Hyundai diesels with 12kmpl in city and 15+kmpl on highways as told by the salesperson.

In contrast, the drive was fantastic especially in bumper to bumper traffic it could cruise at 20kph in 3rd gear and then take off when required. There was no lugging whatsoever. This car can cruise at 100kph in 6th @ 2000rpm and whenever u get bored just floor it to take off. The roll on speeds is the best i have seen of all hyundai diesels.

Gearbox - 9.5/10

Smooth six manual gears with well sorted ratios. Couldn't have been better.
Wish i had a 6th gear in my Getz.

Ride Comfort - 8/10

Ride comfort was good but frankly i didn't care much about it. Vid6639 please enlighten us more about this part.

Handling - 5/10

DISAPPOINTING!
The worst part of this car is the handling and thats all because of that super light steering. The super light steering can scare u while shifting lanes at even 80kph. It will take a lot of time to get used to such kind of light steering and can completely knock u off if u are an enthusiast and love driving. In heavy traffic the light steering might be a boon but on the highway it can scare u once in a while. Suspension is very well sorted out. The front end doesn't take off when the turbo kicks in and doesn't dip much either while hard braking.

ICE - 7/10

Single CD player HU with compos in front and a sub at the back. Not sure if it had an amp as well. The sound quality was fine but not great.

Final verdict: 8/10

If u are being driven around then its a great VFM package at 15.6 lacs on road with excellent comfort levels and its cruising capabilities with a decent FE. Its not a great weekend fun to drive car though.

Would i buy this car ? NO

Disclaimer : Its just my experience and opinion about the car. Don't buy or reject this car just by reading my report. Do drive it as u do daily before deciding on this car.

Last edited by kpzen : 22nd February 2009 at 11:56.
Old 22nd February 2009, 12:12   #2
BHPian

Sounds like a dream car!!

Now would be a good time to test drive a Accord as well KP and give us a definative comparision!

Elito
Old 22nd February 2009, 12:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Would i buy this car ? NO

Disclaimer : Its just my experience and opinion about the car. Don't buy or reject this car just by reading my report. Do drive it as u do daily before deciding on this car.
You wont buy the car coz of the steering part ?

Lets see what Vid has to say.
Old 22nd February 2009, 13:06   #4
BHPian

Nice report Kp. FE sounds good. Comparision between the EMBERA and ACCORD would be nice. Embera Diesel and petrol vs Accord petrol . Is it possible Kp?? You already have a 6th GEAR (petes) in your Getz dont you??
Old 22nd February 2009, 13:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
The worst part of this car is the handling and thats all because of that super light steering. The super light steering can scare u while shifting lanes at even 80kph.
Bolero users should feel at home.

Old 22nd February 2009, 13:51   #6
BHPian

nice review!

No turbo lag? Pleasantly surprised...that was a huge issue in the older Sonata CRDi.
Old 22nd February 2009, 14:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Embera just got better

So the Embera just got better. Having driven the earlier Embera Petrol AT, I always maintained that the Embera was / is a VFM package, albeit for the Hyundai badge, it could give the Accord a serious run for it's money.

KP's report only ratifies that & more !!

Maybe we will see some Emberas here on the forum !

Great review KP..

Cheers
Old 22nd February 2009, 14:33   #8
BHPian

Car - White Sonata Transform, 6 gear Manual CRDi
Duration of TD - 2hrs
Total Kms driven - 95 kms
Dealer - HMP Delhi

Wwhoa! A 95Kms. TD. How did you manage that??
Old 22nd February 2009, 15:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Sounds like a dream car!!

Now would be a good time to test drive a Accord as well KP and give us a definative comparision!

Elito
Hmm, I haven't driven the new Accord so can't say.
vid6639 has driven both the cars so he might be the right person to comment on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
You wont buy the car coz of the steering part ?
I need more acceleration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
You already have a 6th GEAR (petes) in your Getz dont you??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Bolero users should feel at home.

Hehehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
So the Embera just got better. Having driven the earlier Embera Petrol AT, I always maintained that the Embera was / is a VFM package, albeit for the Hyundai badge, it could give the Accord a serious run for it's money.

KP's report only ratifies that & more !!

Maybe we will see some Emberas here on the forum !

Great review KP..
Thanks ricky ! There are three variants with a difference of 1lac between them.

Petrol Manual - 13.9 lacs
CRDi Manual - 14.9lacs
CRDi Auto - 15.9 lacs
Old 22nd February 2009, 16:30   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice review, will be great if Vid can comment on the following:

1. Ride quality? Is it bouncy or comfortable? Too soft a setting ain't great. Just ask Verna owners.

2. Turbo-lag? Are you serious that there isn't any noticeable lag?

3. Interiors : Are they deserving of a 15 lakh car.

On first impressions, and based on your review, it seems to be a steal for 15.5 lakhs OTR. Heres to hoping that Hyundai does a good job of marketing the transform.
Old 22nd February 2009, 16:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Embera CRDi was always great value for money in the D segment. The engines are brilliant. At the on road price mentioned its a killer. It is surprising that none of the Hyundai cars are good handlers, be it the Verna or the big Sonata.

Nice review kp. What is the gearbox they are using in the AT? Is it a 5 speed? A TD of the AT is needed to see the performance differences between the two. I might just do that soon.

Another point: What the NVH levels on the Transform like?
Old 22nd February 2009, 17:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice review, will be great if Vid can comment on the following:

1. Ride quality? Is it bouncy or comfortable? Too soft a setting ain't great. Just ask Verna owners.

2. Turbo-lag? Are you serious that there isn't any noticeable lag?

3. Interiors : Are they deserving of a 15 lakh car.

On first impressions, and based on your review, it seems to be a steal for 15.5 lakhs OTR. Heres to hoping that Hyundai does a good job of marketing the transform.
1. Ride quality was really good and it wasn't bouncy infact as i said the balance of the car was perfect with no front end take off while the turbo kicks in and no noticeable nose dip either while braking hard.

2. Turbo lag is absolutely non-existent. Very easily it shoots to 2k rpm and after that u know as all Hyundai diesels, the havoc starts.

3. Vidyut would be better off to comment on this.

Hyundai seems to be really serious this time around. HMP Delhi had an exclusive Transform lounge for the potential customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The Embera CRDi was always great value for money in the D segment. The engines are brilliant. At the on road price mentioned its a killer. It is surprising that none of the Hyundai cars are good handlers, be it the Verna or the big Sonata.

Nice review kp. What is the gearbox they are using in the AT? Is it a 5 speed? A TD of the AT is needed to see the performance differences between the two. I might just do that soon.

Another point: What the NVH levels on the Transform like?
The AT has a 4 speed gearbox. NVH levels were also minimum infact i'm kinda used to it now so any hyundai CRDi feels like home to me :

Last edited by kpzen : 22nd February 2009 at 17:26.
Old 22nd February 2009, 17:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice report, kpzen. My pal has a petrol Embera--the first one in Hyd, and I know it offers loads of space both in the front and the rear, that no other car below 20 lacs offers. The only let down is the drab interiors of the outgoing model. Nice to know that they have sorted this out.

However, I like the exterior look of the Embera more than the Transform---the front grill in the Transform seems to glaring.

BTW, what do you mean that the 'dual tone bumper' has been removed? Are you referring to the twin exhaust? Man, that was a smart-looking piece!

AFAIK, even the Embera comes with alloys and Hankook tyres of the size you have mentioned.

Absence of turbo lag below 2000 rpm is news to me, and is certainly a big plus to the diesel Transform.

While on the subject, my pal wants to go for a new set of tyres for his Embera as the stock Hankooks have already covered 55 K. Any suggestions, folks? He is a fast driver and does munch many miles, considering that he has covered 55K in 3 and half years.
Old 22nd February 2009, 17:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Is the steering so bad. It wont do a monaco i guess . Right KP.
It sure is a VFM package but only if Hyundai could grab Honda's customers. I dont think it will give the Accord a run for its money. Not to a large extent atleast.
Old 22nd February 2009, 18:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have heard this often: firm or soft ride or how a suspension is soft. Would dearly love to know what soft or firm means as far as ride is concerned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks