Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2009, 20:48   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i10 1.2 Magna update 3000 kms

So here's a quick update on my 1.2 Magna i10.

Slick Gearbox.
Effortless in the city.
Good Air con.
Good Mileage 14kmpl + in city with 100% A/C.
Great Stability at high speeds, did 150 Kph without a hitch.
Nice Aluminum engine sound. ( like old Zen)
No Body noise or rattles till now.
Interiors

Dislikes:
Harsh Suspension.
Softens up too much with five people.
Becomes sluggish with five people and a/c on. ( can discount this fact)
Poor OE headlights.
Soggy brake feel.
A/C vents not positioned perfectly.

Overall I'm fully satisfied with it, performs its intended task to a hilt.
If anyone can share with the harsh suspension, Tyre pressure is now at 32.
Old 3rd March 2009, 22:47   #2
BHPian

Hyundai i10 1.2 Magna update 3000 kms-img_2769.jpg
Hyundai i10 1.2 Magna update 3000 kms-img_2824.jpg
Hyundai i10 1.2 Magna update 3000 kms-img_2830.jpg

Some of the images of the car while it was new.
I need to put some stuff in the car, like a remote entry, fog lamps and some resonable leather covers for the seats.
Old 3rd March 2009, 23:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

The FE is great. Depends upon traffic a lot but also a light foot is required.
I am not able to get you suspension points. Its harsh, but then with 5 people it softens up too much ?
I am for the first time hearing about the performance being a bit sluggish. Which was your earlier car ?

Also about the OE headlamps, first of all, none of them are engineered for us Indians who need the best light as the road users are the most indisciplined. But I am yet to see one car with good lights. The dealer would say " Sir its Haalogen ", but that does not translate into good lights. Upgrade to 90/100W from Philips or some other reputed manufacturer.

About the AC vents, they are scaled down design IMO. These type of AC vents are good if the cabin is very wide and long. But in relatively narrow cabin, these type of vents are almost meaningless for rear passengers and the front passengers would end up chilling. If the rear passengers are not getting proper air flow from these vents, try this : Direct the air flow from the vents towards roof. This way the front passengers wont chill and the rear passengers will get cooling.
Old 3rd March 2009, 23:47   #4
BHPian

Yes, I find it a bit sluggish once it is loaded with four people with the a/c on! Not that I've driven super cars in my entire life. This is my first car!!!
Although as i have said, it's quite zippy with two people in board, but what I feel is the car transforms itself once with four or five people. The suspension softens up, there is noticeable pitching and roll, while acceleration gets hampered by say at least 20 to 30%.
Well my driving is based on a lot of traffic anticipation. I find it rude to apply brakes "unnecessarily".
Old 5th March 2009, 11:17   #5
BHPian

Hi All,
This is my first post! My update on my 1.2 Sportz i10.

It has complete around 4100 Kms. City Mileage(cut off method) turned out to be 12.25kmpl with 100% AC. Not sure when it is going to improve.

Valkyrie's mileage figures are truly enviable!

And i agree with Valkyrie about the sluggishness of the car when the AC is on and 4 people are seated. I was driving in the ghat section with 5 people and AC on. And my car couldn't negotiate a steep up curve when on 2nd gear!

Even in city with 2 people inside( My wife and me), i can find considerable drop in power when i turn on the AC. 2nd gear driving range also comes down(Which is irritating when driving on service roads in bangalore with humps every 200 mts!!)

Will the performance improve after 2nd service??
Old 5th March 2009, 13:41   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Val, thats a very good mileage your getting. My i10 Kappa returns approximately 12kmpl and that too not with 100% A/C and has done only 1300kms in past 3 months.

Well, i have a heavy foot, maybe that could be the reason and i keep the pressure at 33. Let me try with 32psi and see if it improves.

I don't get that soggy brake feel. But, its quite nice and firm and stops the car quite well. Regarding the suspension, never our car was loaded with 4 people, so cannot comment. It's mostly 2 or 1 people in the car.

Stock tyres are not that great and does not inspire confidence when you take corners at a slight higher speed. It is meant to be driven in a straight line for optimum pleasure

I love its AC (too chilling ), gear position and driving seat position ( what a change from my Viva) and is good for city cruising, that's about it.
Old 5th March 2009, 17:45   #7
BHPian

Decreasing the psi would adversely affect ur FE....
Well 14kmpl with two person....
Wonder if fitting a K&N will improve performance drastically.
Old 12th March 2012, 09:25   #8
BHPian

i10/1.2: Cooked the clutch twice at 42000 kms

Hi all,
I am facing a problem with my i10's clutch.
It is a 2008, 1.2L Magna model.
I have cooked the clutch twice now.
First at 25k odo reading (Nov-2010), now at 42k.

I mean my driving is pretty clean and decent, in fact I consider it pretty good (thats the problem with us, isn't it ). Although I use the clutch often, I am very gentle and smooth on my driving. I am running stock size tyres. It was 155/80R13 MRFs, I had changed it to Bridgestone in May-2011 (odo reading 30k).

Any i10 owners facing this problem?

I have to go to the service center, maybe today, for the clutch change.
I am noticing slippage in 1st gear and a hard clutch.

Please share your thoughts.
Any driving tip you can share?
Old 12th March 2012, 11:47   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

re: i10/1.2: Cooked the clutch twice at 42000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Although I use the clutch often, I am very gentle and smooth on my driving.
Hi,

The most common cause for premature clutch failure is 'riding the clutch'.

In vehicles with no dead pedal, there is a tendency for drivers to rest the left leg, even unconsciously on the clutch pedal (especially in city drives where one needs to change gears more frequently). Even though the drive will be smooth, it will wear out the clutch super fast.

If you or any other person is doing that, please consciously avoid.

Thanks,

Dhanush
Old 12th March 2012, 12:12   #10
BHPian

No man, I don't do that.
My usage of clutch is limited to changing gears..which I admit I do too often... or slowing the car to sub-20kmph speeds or a complete halt.
I also, sometimes, idle in tarffic lights with the clutch + brake, when the car is in 1st gear.

That said, I doubt if I have ever intentionally abused the gearbox.
The other cars in my house, namelt the Fiesta TDCi and Beat Petrol ( which I dont drive that often) doesnt have this problem.
Old 12th March 2012, 12:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
No man, I don't do that.
My usage of clutch is limited to changing gears..which I admit I do too often...
Hmm.. I don't see why a perfectly fine clutch should go bad in 25k kms.

btw, what were the symptoms of clutch wear, that lead to replacement?
Old 12th March 2012, 12:18   #12
BHPian

Do you redline frequently to enjoy the Kappa 1.2 engine? Over the months this does tend to cook the clutch.
Old 12th March 2012, 12:58   #13
BHPian

Hi Valkyrie: Just cooked the clutch of my kappa 2 weeks back at 38k. Mine too is a Magna 2008 model. Like already mentioned above riding the clutch, redlining and most importantly absence of a dead pedal which leads to resting the feet over the clutch causes this problem. One thing that you can ask your service station guy to do is put a little play on the clutch pedal that shall to some extend help you not screwing the plates. And a little conscious driving will help you to reduce the usage of clutch so often. Best way to do this is make sure you don't ride a lot in the first, the second is as good. Change gears at ideal speeds and don't rust to the 5th. For a kappa think of going to 5th only when going to go above 70 k mph. Hope this helps.
Old 12th March 2012, 22:42   #14
BHPian

Re: i10/1.2: Cooked the clutch twice at 42000 kms

Thanks everyone.

Important update: I had my car shown to a Hyundai service center today.
They said the clutch is all right, albeit a little bit of hardness....but a normal one...

Thing is I was having trouble with driving yesterday, my left foot was aching. I presumed because of the hard clutch and the day-long driving in traffic. So today morning also it was a bit sore. Now, after glancing back to the events, I think it was due to my aching foot, that I food the clutch a bit hard. Not the other way round. I don't exactly remember which happened first. A classic case of the "murgi & aanda" theory.

But the clutch slippage (happens 1 in 20 times) needs to be explained or checked. I even checked out some other i10s in the service center. They seemed +/- 20 pc hard wrt my clutch. The SA told me I can easily drive another 10 to 15 k before the clutch gives in.

So lets hope. Recovering from the ache now. Will see in a few days.
Old 12th March 2012, 22:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: i10/1.2: Cooked the clutch twice at 42000 kms

Another very useful way to extend clutch life is to not load the clutch by driving in the wrong gear. Too many people in India go to top and then lug the engine at 20 kmph, assuming because they are in top gear that they are getting the best mileage. Actually getting worse mileage than being in say second or third and driving normally and also loading the clutch too much. Net loss loss every which way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks