Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2009, 14:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
If I was driving in Delhi I would think that I need to be in the specific lane to get to AIIMS. The assumption would be that the road would branch out ahead into different directions and hence drivers need to stick to the lanes marked. Is that correct? If not, then the direction signboards are all wrongly marked.
Gotcha! Generally I've seen max 2 to 3 places marked like this in the US, but 4 on a road in India sure beats the record---given the kind of lane discipline we maintain!
Old 10th March 2009, 14:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Generally I've seen max 2 to 3 places marked like this in the US, but 4 on a road in India sure beats the record---given the kind of lane discipline we maintain!
But what about my question? Does the road really branch out into different directions ahead and hence the markings on the road? I ask this because this has the potential to confuse a newbie in the city (as in the city New Delhi not the car )

If you have to go straight ahead for all the places then why not have single bigger board showing the names of all the places with a big single arrow. Wouldn't that be easier to understand?

Last edited by amit : 10th March 2009 at 14:53.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I was driving in Delhi I would think that I need to be in the specific lane to get to AIIMS. The assumption would be that the road would branch out ahead into different directions and hence drivers need to stick to the lanes marked. Is that correct? If not, then the direction signboards are all wrongly marked.
The signboards are correct, you need to be in that lane.

As for the superb, the pricing has been kept at a very competitive Rs 18,88,000 Ex-Showroom Delhi. Thats a lot of car for your money.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 10th March 2009 at 14:59.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:56   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
driver's 8-way power adjustable seat with 3 memory settings (not sure of the front passengers as I forgot to pay notice)

electric roller blind on the rear window
Actually the driver and front passenger seat has 12 way electric adjustments. The roller blind is manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Not before 6 months.
Expect it much quicker than that.
Old 10th March 2009, 15:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But what about my question? Does the road really branch out into different directions ahead and hence the markings on the road? I ask this because this has the potential to confuse a newbie in the city (as in the city New Delhi not the car )

If you have to go straight ahead for all the places then why not have single bigger board showing the names of all the places with a big single arrow. Wouldn't that be easier to understand?
Yes Amit they are arrows for specific lanes only and seems to be correctly marked as well. Though for a new person it can get a bit confusing.

This road is not going straight only but will have a flyover ahead and a left cut as well for the specific lane in which arrow is marked.
Still the best way to find correct places in delhi is asking a passerby
Old 10th March 2009, 21:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
front, side and curtain airbags with knee airbag etc
Knee airbag? Where?

The Skoda India website says eight airbags not nine.
According to Invinsible, the Autocar article said eight airbags not nine:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1191079

My source said Skoda India decided to omit the driver knee airbag.

Are the website, Autocar, and my source all wrong about the absence of the crucial driver knee airbag?

Without the knee airbag, the Indian Superb is merely a four-star EuroNCAP car and this means the Indian Passat is, arguably, the safest car under 30 lakhs.

Thank you for the review.
Old 10th March 2009, 22:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, I was the one who asked the question in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Yes Amit they are arrows for specific lanes only and seems to be correctly marked as well. Though for a new person it can get a bit confusing.

This road is not going straight only but will have a flyover ahead and a left cut as well for the specific lane in which arrow is marked.
Still the best way to find correct places in delhi is asking a passerby
But will you have the luxury of having passersby on every lane?
Old 11th March 2009, 02:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Check the skoda india website which has been updated and which clearly states 8 airbags which definately doesn't include the knee airbag and just the knee airbag doesn't add another star for 5 star safety rating.
There are lot many electronics used this time to make it a great safety car and aid handling. Also included traction control and EDL (electronic differential lock) system. Which is one of the rare feature one can find at this price. Also has HHC ( hill hold control ) now how many cars offer that at this price. Just remarkable. I guess skoda superb is surely gonna set the benchmark where safety is concerned.
Truly a great car with lots of safety gizmos.
Old 11th March 2009, 03:00   #39
BHPian

the site also talks about a diesel motor. a 140bhp TDI PD engine.
looks like a feature rich car much above the category it is in. hope the gadgetry is not prone to failure.
Old 11th March 2009, 09:30   #40
BHPian

Competitive pricing all right, but will the Skoda A*s rear it's ugly head and spoil the party? And the spares of course will be a LOT more than the Toyota or the Honda. Besides, In India, who buys a Skoda for petrol anyways?
Old 11th March 2009, 10:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Competitive pricing all right, but will the Skoda A*s rear it's ugly head and spoil the party? And the spares of course will be a LOT more than the Toyota or the Honda. Besides, In India, who buys a Skoda for petrol anyways?

Well i wouldn't be surprised if all that changes soon with 1.8TSI engine. Am sure people are gonna be sceptical about buying the petrol model. But it technically the new more motor is not all that bad. With loads of torque available very low down it's gonna be really an ease to drive the car around compared to the naturally aspirated cars. If driven sanely one can max out with 9-10kmpl in city and am not talking about bumper to bumper traffic situation. Now I see it this way being automatic and inspite of being turbocharged even if it gets close to 9 or so is a lot compared to some other automatic cars which can manage from 6-8kmpl with their bigger engines.

Nevertheless if I have to buy the petrol superb it would purely be for the fun factor high revving petrol motor, for that turbo kick at 1500rpm, 7 speed gearbox along with peddle shifters mainly.
And if ever i get bored with the power than just get a remap or other mods and tune it to give atleast 240-250bhp. And with EDL(electronic differential lock) there should not be problem for it to handle that much of power at ease.

A PD diesel is something that would do a great job, fueling pressure at 2100bar, it's a motor where turbo lag is non existent. PD engine are very torquey, but just for one reason i would have liked to have a TDI CR( crdi) engine in it is that noisy part. PDs are noisy and I wouldn't prefer that in any car that is 20L+ upwards.
Old 11th March 2009, 21:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
...this means the Indian Passat is, arguably, the safest car under 30 lakhs.
But then it would run out of engine oil by the time you cranked it up and drove it till the end of the street, so........

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
And the spares of course will be a LOT more than the Toyota or the Honda.
The Camry's spares are prohibitively expensive, thanks to the CBU route. The old gen Superb's parts were quite on par with the Camry.

Quote:
Besides, In India, who buys a Skoda for petrol anyways?
Let me tell you the story of a gentleman, or rather hundreds, who lusted after/got their hands on a certain car called the vRS
Old 11th March 2009, 22:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

The camrys spares are cheaper compared to skoda's another thing is that apart from the usual spares changed during service.. You probably wont require any other spares(maybe).
Not the case with skoda's in india.
anyways fantastic review.
7star eh? I would say 7series wannabe
front looks like a beemer back looks like a cow
Old 11th March 2009, 22:41   #44
BHPian

Ofcourse, from an Enthusiast's view, the TSI is 'All that'. Which is why i was tempted to get the 2.0 TSi (184bhp ) for the A4. However sense prevailed. But for a Normal buyer , which will comprise of a major chunk of Skoda's market, Skoda = Oil burner. We got to keep in mind that the Reason the RS is so difficult to find , firstly is becuase not too many were sold.

As for the PD motors. they are on thier way out of the VW group. They have already been phased out in the A4 and not apparently even the Passats are coming with CRDIs ( the badging is still TDI ). SO i guess its a matter of time before they perculate it down to Skoda.
Old 11th March 2009, 22:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

I checked out the car here in Chennai today and going by first impressions, i am very impressed.The car has a solid feel to it and leg space at the back is really superb. And, one doesn't have that scrunched up feeling in the rear seat like in so many modern so-called luxury cars sold here. At approximately 20lacs it is a buy, though i do have doubts about the engine capacity. There was a test drive car, but i was told i will have to wait till tomorrow for a test drive and the salespeople swore that service issues had been sorted out. Let's see.
Attached Thumbnails
Test drive: Superbly equipped 7 star luxury on wheels. Skoda Superb!-chennai-167-large.jpg  

Test drive: Superbly equipped 7 star luxury on wheels. Skoda Superb!-chennai-160-large.jpg  

Test drive: Superbly equipped 7 star luxury on wheels. Skoda Superb!-chennai-162-large.jpg  

Test drive: Superbly equipped 7 star luxury on wheels. Skoda Superb!-chennai-158-large.jpg  

Test drive: Superbly equipped 7 star luxury on wheels. Skoda Superb!-chennai-165-large.jpg  

Last edited by nickatnite : 11th March 2009 at 22:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks