Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 12:59   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Oh yeah, petrol Hondas require more frequent servicing than a diesel Skoda. Yep, yep.
I think I sense disbelief so I will clarify.

The service interval for the Laura is 10,000 Km or one year. It used to be 7500 Km or 6 months. Yes - even for the first service. I like the convenience of having my car with me. Just sending it and retrieving it from the service station is a pain (not counting the cost of commuting).

I have not been able to find the service frequency for the Accord but for the Civic it is every 5000 Km. (with the first service coming up at 1000 Km and the second at 5000 Km).

The servicing costs therefore even out, as the Diesel mill requires more filter changes etc. I guess the money spent on this comes from the FE of 12 to 13 Km per litre of Diesel (in-city for the Laura).

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 12th March 2009 at 13:07.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:03   #62
BHPian

Just got a call from the skoda guys calling in for my vRS service. Asked them about the superb and they have offered me a test drive this evening. Car is supposed to come home this evening. Lets see if the superb lives up to its "Superb" tag.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:53   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I have not been able to find the service frequency for the Accord but for the Civic it is every 5000 Km. (with the first service coming up at 1000 Km and the second at 5000 Km).

The servicing costs therefore even out, as the Diesel mill requires more filter changes etc. I guess the money spent on this comes from the FE of 12 to 13 Km per litre of Diesel (in-city for the Laura).

Cheers,
Ravvendra - If you go through that thread where there was a comprehensive discussion on Skoda service costs vs. Honda service costs, there would be one thing to note.

An Accord's service costed about Rs. 2000-2100 including tax & labour whereas for a regular service of a diesel Octavia the cost was minimum Rs. 7000. Even if you calculate using the mileage difference you posted above, a single service of the Octavia was enough to do 3 services of the Accord and still have money left over for commuting charges etc.
Old 12th March 2009, 17:15   #64
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Accords spare prices will be high, as it has only been launched in late 2008. Wait for a coupla months and see the prices tumbling down. Over a 5 / 7 / 10 year ownership period, an Accord will be infinitely cheaper to own than a Superb.
Old 12th March 2009, 19:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Ravvendra - If you go through that thread where there was a comprehensive discussion on Skoda service costs vs. Honda service costs, there would be one thing to note.

An Accord's service costed about Rs. 2000-2100 including tax & labour whereas for a regular service of a diesel Octavia the cost was minimum Rs. 7000. Even if you calculate using the mileage difference you posted above, a single service of the Octavia was enough to do 3 services of the Accord and still have money left over for commuting charges etc.
I am sorry to turn this forum into a debating society of sorts, but some clarification is in order.

My own experience is that the Laura costs about Rs.5000/- to service. This I have posted on the forum. The older Lauras needed to be serviced every 6 months or 7500 km, the newer ones need to be serviced every 12 months or 10000 km. (This info posted by shatrgna is also available on the same thread). The only conclusion is that Skoda has consciously cut down the service costs since the days of the old Octy.

It is considering these figures and considering the reported FE of about 5 to 9 for Accords in the FE and Accord FE threads, that I said things will even out in the long run. Like I said earlier, I was not able to find the costs of servicing an Accord on this Forum but I have found the costs of servicing the Civic here.

Yes it is all a hotch-potch and not exact, none of the 4 cars (Laura, Superb, Accord, Civic) are exact alternatives for the other, in fact, they are all very different from each other and different from their stable mates too, that any comparison is difficult, no two persons drive or maintain their cars in an identical fashion, so it eventually boils down to "Whatever works for you"

Incidentally, all this is a bit OT as the car under test and review is a Petrol Superb.
Old 12th March 2009, 20:43   #66
BHPian

Booking it tomorrow

Hey guys,Spoke to autobahn an autograph dealers in Mumbai,and will be booking the superb with 2 Lacs booking amount tommorow.I was planning to book the manual accord but simply fell in love after I saw the new superb,debates apart its simply superb and features like the b pillar vents,touch screen player,LED lights near the rearview mirror,memory sitting.Simply awesome.
Just wanted to ask you guys whether I will be getting atleast 7KMPL F.E in Mumbai traffic.I am having a 3ltr Accord V6 which gives me4KMPL in Mumbai.
Old 12th March 2009, 20:45   #67
Senior - BHPian

Congrats kedarwalke.
Do open up a thread for the same.
You would surely get around 7 kmpl as it aint a 3.0L but a 1.8L and has lower power than the V6 and a 7 speed autobox which will give you good FE especially while cruising.

P.S. Saw a White Superb near my house today and damn i couldn't stop but stare at it.
If only I had some 20 Lakh bucks :(
Old 12th March 2009, 20:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Hey guys,Spoke to autobahn an autograph dealers in Mumbai,and will be booking the superb with 2 Lacs booking amount tommorow.I was planning to book the manual accord but simply fell in love after I saw the new superb,debates apart its simply superb and features like the b pillar vents,touch screen player,LED lights near the rearview mirror,memory sitting.Simply awesome.
Just wanted to ask you guys whether I will be getting atleast 7KMPL F.E in Mumbai traffic.I am having a 3ltr Accord V6 which gives me4KMPL in Mumbai.
Congrats mate!
A right decision IMO.
As Abhinav pointed out it will give atleast 7kmpl(in fact i think maybe a bit more).
Also isn't 4kmpl a bit less for V6. My friend has the same one and he gets around 6-7 atleast in city.
Old 12th March 2009, 23:38   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
Just got a call from the skoda guys calling in for my vRS service. Asked them about the superb and they have offered me a test drive this evening. Car is supposed to come home this evening. Lets see if the superb lives up to its "Superb" tag.
Waiting for a report...!
Old 13th March 2009, 00:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

Congrat KedarWalke.. That's a great choice you have made. Truly worth it. Am sure you should be getting 7kmpl but should improve after the 1st service so it difenately not gonna be disappointing. 3 things that completes this car is 7 speed DSG gearbox with peddle shifts, awesome legroom both front and back, loaded with features one can think of.
A complete car.

So what color have you opted for? Red-maroon is the colour to go for.
Old 13th March 2009, 08:28   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Kedar- can you please check with them when exactly the diesel going to be launched? As we are looking to book one but don't want to get the petrol.
I wonder why skoda has given all the diesel specs on the website even though it's not being launched currently.
Old 13th March 2009, 10:09   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Kedar- can you please check with them when exactly the diesel going to be launched? As we are looking to book one but don't want to get the petrol.
I wonder why skoda has given all the diesel specs on the website even though it's not being launched currently.
same here cant wait to testdrive the petrol but going to wait for the diesel however long it takes
btw white looks really neat
Attached Thumbnails
Test drive: Superbly equipped 7 star luxury on wheels. Skoda Superb!-2009skodasuperbgreenlineonsaleinuk11.jpg  

Last edited by dockap : 13th March 2009 at 10:15.
Old 13th March 2009, 10:36   #73
BHPian

Congrats Kedar ...

Superb has been a good choice. It is loaded with some exquisite stuffs for the price it's demanding ... Do not worry about the FE.

Please do publish your review once you get the delivery. I guess you are first TBHPian to have booked the new Superb.
Old 13th March 2009, 11:49   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Asked one of my friend, who is friendly with the owners of one of the dealer here. He found out that the PD diesel will be out by august-sept.
I wonder what would take them so much time for.
Hoping they price it same as the petrol, just like what skoda had done when they had launched the petrol and diesel octavia 1st time in India.
Old 13th March 2009, 14:24   #75
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Accords spare prices will be high, as it has only been launched in late 2008. Wait for a coupla months and see the prices tumbling down. Over a 5 / 7 / 10 year ownership period, an Accord will be infinitely cheaper to own than a Superb.
Not in the case of the V6 with a 6L headstart over the Superb. The 2.4 ltr version though similar in pricing, and power is more a camry competitor. somehow the superb seems to have the E-Class Merc Size and Spec, Audi Handling with Accord Pricing. Also if I may add seems to have the VW reliability (which is not too great out here in Indian conditions at least)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I am sorry to turn this forum into a debating society of sorts, but some clarification is in order.

My own experience is that the Laura costs about Rs.5000/- to service. This I have posted on the forum. The older Lauras needed to be serviced every 6 months or 7500 km, the newer ones need to be serviced every 12 months or 10000 km.

Yes it is all a hotch-potch and not exact, none of the 4 cars (Laura, Superb, Accord, Civic) are exact alternatives for the other, in fact, they are all very different from each other and different from their stable mates too, that any comparison is difficult, no two persons drive or maintain their cars in an identical fashion, so it eventually boils down to "Whatever works for you"

Incidentally, all this is a bit OT as the car under test and review is a Petrol Superb.
Agree on the hotch potch bit, as they are all quite different, but the servicing of the Laura is 10K rather than 5K, just got it done last week. (It can be lesser if once goes in for normal Oil rather then Helix synthetic which is what the manual recommends. Yes you are correct the new Laura is at 10K servicing intervals, while the older one is at 7.5K intervals. By the way the service centre guys inform me that there are no technical changes in the car that enable this higher servicing period, it's just that that the company has permitted this now. Somehow with the history that my car has had am more comfortable with 7.5k service intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Congrats Kedar, do open up a thread for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Congrats kedarwalke.
Do open up a thread for the same.
You would surely get around 7 kmpl as it aint a 3.0L but a 1.8L and has lower power than the V6 and a 7 speed autobox which will give you good FE especially while cruising.

P.S. Saw a White Superb near my house today and damn i couldn't stop but stare at it.
If only I had some 20 Lakh bucks :(
Yep it should give 7kmpls plus, Yes it looks good in while and, Yep it looks much better than the accord. (Actually the accord too looks fine with out all the sports cladding that most people put up.)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks