Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 22:13   #1
BHPian

My cruising vessel | Chevrolet Aveo U-VA LS (Ivory Gold). Pics on page 2

Let me first thank you for your valuable feedbacks that helped me shortlist a perfect car.

The Story began in Dec 08 when the search for a car started with a budjet of around 4 lacs. I had almost decided on i10, but my Dad insisted that i shold take a TD of U-VA as he was impresses by the car, lookwise and spacewise. Well, not that but space was also a major factor for us. with 4+1 pet , we need substantial space when we move.

I took the test drive and closely inspected a base model at AutoVikas , dwarka. My first expression was wow. It was a well-built car. The ride was stable. Pickup was good although not zoom-like in i10 but i actually would never press gas too hard for that.

So finally after all the banking work and other stuff, i got the delivery on my U-VA LS (Ivory Gold) on march 9th which also is my BDay. I took this car from Aryaman motors, Karnal, Haryana.

I was so excited about my car that didnt get time to write a review.
So is the experience with my car

1. Space:- Awsome, i now feel how crampted we were in my dear M800 for last 12 yrs! 9/10

2. Engine:- Silent and smooth. There is very less sound in the cabin. I happpened to self twice today because i though i didnt start. And yes its true, you can actually drive this car on 5th gear at 20 Km/h with AC. Tried once, but wont take juice from my engine. 9/10

3. Pickup:- I was worried about this as i read many threads stating that pickup is less in UVA. Gents, i would like to say that please drive the car before you take words from others. I did not feel whatsover any lack in pickup. I could easily overtake cars (then i realized i shouldnt be till 1000 Km complete !). 8/10

4. Looks:- Fantastic. In Ivory gold it looks awsome(touchwood). I could see many people giving a second look at the car when i drove from Janakpuri to Gurgaon. One of my friends even though that i bought a i20 when he saw the car from rear at a distance. 9/10

5. Interiors:- No complaints. Ya could have been a little better, but it hardly matter to me. 7/10

6. Boot:- Lots of space. Will post pics soon. 8/10

7. Presense:- I usually spot 4-5 UVAs every day (mostly the same ones) when i drive from Janakpuri to Gurgaon. Now its one with me too. It actually feels good to own a car that isint with anybody in your locality. (when you cant buy a Audi or a Merc) 9.5/10

After so much of praise let me point out some things that i discovered today
1. The door lock stick of one rear door doesnt unlock when all doors get unlock from central locking. Found that its needed some alignment. Now fine.
2. The hatch door needs a hard push to close. I rewmember my m800 boot was soft to close. I think it needs a bit setting of the rubber nodes.
3. There is a tick-tick kind of sound coming from driver side seat belt latch. May be i am hearing these because of silent cabin or my ears. But i will get it checked in my 1K Km check.

Overall, a wonderful car. Sterdy to drive. And the best part now:
I have driven 340 KM by today (200 HW and 140 city) with AC 80 % time and the milage i am getting till now is 15 .

I shall post pics soon. I will also update ony my FE with more KMs done.
Next in-line are
1. ICE
2. Security installations
3. Reverse sensor

I would appretiate suggestions on a one-stop-shop for all this in Delhi.
I have Driven and Gyro in list, but would prefer someone in North-West Delhi.

-Ujjwal
Special thanks to Benjiross for his review that encouraged me a lot

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2009 at 23:06. Reason: Text fomrat tags removed.
Old 13th March 2009, 23:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ujjwal
Great to see you take the plunge. Ivory Gold is an awesome color. The showroom vehicle when we went to GM first was an Ivory white and thats what made my wife really love the car.
Can you tell me how much you paid for it?
You've written a good review and I feel the same way about the car.
I also enjoy the people ogling at my U-VA.

You will find the car a little slow compared to the Swift and the i10, but that is only if you like really accelerating fast. As it is sturdy and stable highway trips are really good.
Your mileage figures are good.
The space is awesome. The interiors are a little dull like you say.
About the seat belt noise - I have it on my car too. Hasn't been sorted out as yet. Let me know if you find a solution for that!
The hatch actually closes automatically when it is gently pushed down beyond a certain distance - I never need to push it at all. In fact this was told by the salesman and demonstrated specifically.
Did you take the three year cashless ownership offer?
Looking forward to your photos.
Enjoy your vessel and we'll stay in touch!
Old 14th March 2009, 10:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Hi Ujjwal
Great to see you take the plunge. Ivory Gold is an awesome color. The showroom vehicle when we went to GM first was an Ivory white and thats what made my wife really love the car.
Can you tell me how much you paid for it?
You've written a good review and I feel the same way about the car.
I also enjoy the people ogling at my U-VA.

You will find the car a little slow compared to the Swift and the i10, but that is only if you like really accelerating fast. As it is sturdy and stable highway trips are really good.
Your mileage figures are good.
The space is awesome. The interiors are a little dull like you say.
About the seat belt noise - I have it on my car too. Hasn't been sorted out as yet. Let me know if you find a solution for that!
The hatch actually closes automatically when it is gently pushed down beyond a certain distance - I never need to push it at all. In fact this was told by the salesman and demonstrated specifically.
Did you take the three year cashless ownership offer?
Looking forward to your photos.
Enjoy your vessel and we'll stay in touch!
I had to shell out Rs 8000 for this color. However, the dealers all over Delhi are saying that its for 4000 extra. I have asked my dealer ar Karnal to provide a list frm GM about the price. He told me that they have requested the GM office in Gujrat for the list and shall issue me a refund in case of any difference.

I did not take the cashless offer. The dealer told me that the usual services cost around 1000-2000 each and over 3 years the car doesnt trouble much !

A snap of my vessel attached.

Benji, i tried to latch the boot the way you siad. It actually worked. Thanks.

I need to get a Pin type gear lock installed in my car. Any suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
My cruising vessel | Chevrolet Aveo U-VA LS (Ivory Gold). Pics on page 2-p1020325.jpg  

Old 14th March 2009, 14:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

rapidsnail,hey congratulations buddy! good looking car with cool colour, finally you own one. Keep updating and ride safe.Waiting for more pictures of her.CHEERS!!
Old 14th March 2009, 22:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

COngrats. I'm sure you've got one of the best hatches though its highly under estimated by most people in india. Waiting for a long term review.
Old 14th March 2009, 23:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ujjwal, nice choice for sure!

Aveo UVA and sedan variants are under-rated in the market, but they are good allrounder cars.
Old 15th March 2009, 00:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Congrats Ujjwal, nice choice for sure!

Aveo UVA and sedan variants are under-rated in the market, but they are good allrounder cars.
Thanks. Definately i would recommend this car. The feel of driving a 1 ton car is awsome. Its so sturdy. I have taken it to 100 today. No wavy feeling whatsoever. I have driven Santro and it appears to be much more stable.

I am sure if a Diesel version hits the road, it will be a very good choice.

Today i again drove my friends i10, thats appx 500Km old. It felt very light to me, but again, although its peppy for cities, i love my vessel.

Another thing i did was took it out on the bad road stretch behind district center, janakpuri Delhi (I know Delhi people have driven from there once). U-VA was very smooth on that stretch, but in my friend's i10 wasn't that comfortable. I suggest people to drive to see the difference before taking my words.
Old 15th March 2009, 15:42   #8
BHPian

rapidsnail,

Congrats on your purchase. The U-VA looks great in this colour.

Please post some interior pics and try to add alloys as soon as you can. It will improve the look by miles.
Old 16th March 2009, 11:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
rapidsnail,

Congrats on your purchase. The U-VA looks great in this colour.

Please post some interior pics and try to add alloys as soon as you can. It will improve the look by miles.
Thanks. Sure i will. I also got ICE done from Driven yesterday. Lots of things to share in Pics. I will do it coming weekend.

Alloys are on waiting list now. Vitiman M is low and i need to wait for some time :-)
Old 16th March 2009, 13:10   #10
BHPian

Incredibly spacious car with 15 FE, Amazing!

Congrats for a lovely looking car (especially ivory color looks great)

Did you got the options on extended warranty?
Old 20th March 2009, 10:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidsnail View Post
Thanks. Sure i will. I also got ICE done from Driven yesterday. Lots of things to share in Pics. I will do it coming weekend.

Alloys are on waiting list now. Vitiman M is low and i need to wait for some time :-)

Ujjwal, incredibly spacious car, very good choice . Waiting for the ICE details n reviews.

cheers
Old 20th March 2009, 11:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow, thats my fav number I love that fancy numbers. Did you pay any amount?

The only thing I hate in this is the Wheel cap. Even the stock alloy does not look good.

yes, as you mentioned, if you look at the Vitamin M, then this will look marvelous design
Old 20th March 2009, 12:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidsnail View Post

Where is this Driven. I am assuming its a shop name. Can you suggest similar one in/ around Noida for car accessories.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:26   #14
BHPian

Congrats rapidsnail, U-VA is a nice car to own, cabin is really silent,even i thought that the engine is off, i have a black U-VA at home along with my Swift VDi, U-VA's rear seat ride is much more comfortable than Swift's. All the best and Drive safe.
Old 20th March 2009, 16:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Where is this Driven. I am assuming its a shop name. Can you suggest similar one in/ around Noida for car accessories.
Yes. Its a shop in East of kailash. Check your PM for details. I have no idea about shops in noida. May be members from Noida can help with that.

@streetrage911:- Sure . I'll do this weekend.
@mjothi:- Its a temp registration number :-( So i did not shell a single penny on n that. Flaunting that till i get the permanent number.
@chipfoose:- Thanks.

Most Viewed