Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2009, 14:20   #1
BHPian

Home Comes The Beast –My Swift VDI- Iam loving it…

The day had come for which I was waiting for the last 4 months. Brought home the Beast-Swift VDI (I saw this name reading other bhp members write-ups). Past 1 year was really confusing for me to select which to buy. 1st I was thinking of buying a Spark-took test ride –liked it, but the only issue was center metering which I never liked. Other then that there were no issues in getting a Spark. Then went for a i10 test drive, the car was good in performance level, but I think it is priced a bit more-I may be wrong on this?
Then Tata’s launched Indica Vista, and all were thing that it would give a good competition to Swift. Vista has a better build quality as compared to Indica, but still lacks when compared to other Car Co models.
Finally after taking help from BHP guys, reading there write-ups, decided to go in for a swift. Again there was confusion –Petrol or Diesel. Took help from BHP member, and finally decided that we would be buying a Swift VDI.

Booked the car after paying Advance payment of 50k and yesterday-13-03-2009 I took the delivery of the car.

Service from the Dealer was good. The sales guy (Suneel Kumar-Team Kead) working for Berkeley Automobiles Ltd. –Chandigarh was very friendly and cooperative from the day I booked the car. The only thing which I felt was wrong on their part was they did not offer a single complimentary thing with the car like Mats or mud-flaps etc. If any one has bought swift D from Berkeley Automobiles Ltd. – Chandigarh and got freebies do let me know. Other then this service was excellent.
I took few pics in the showroom when the car was getting ready. Will upload few more pics tonight.

Tips for the car are welcome from you all…
Attached Thumbnails
Home Comes The Beast –My Swift VDI- Iam loving it…-dsc_0220.jpg  

Home Comes The Beast –My Swift VDI- Iam loving it…-dsc_0221.jpg  

Home Comes The Beast –My Swift VDI- Iam loving it…-dsc_0224.jpg  

Home Comes The Beast –My Swift VDI- Iam loving it…-dsc_0225.jpg  

Home Comes The Beast –My Swift VDI- Iam loving it…-dsc_0226.jpg  

Home Comes The Beast –My Swift VDI- Iam loving it…-dsc_0227.jpg  

Home Comes The Beast –My Swift VDI- Iam loving it…-dsc_0228.jpg  

Last edited by tarunmadhok : 14th March 2009 at 14:27.
Old 14th March 2009, 14:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the buy tarun.
Enjoy the turbo!

Also, please do share the details of the price, etc.
Old 14th March 2009, 14:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

One more takes the VDI cake.Congratulations Tarun

2000 rpm and the guy behind was never there

Enjoy
Old 14th March 2009, 15:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

another VDI joins bhp family, congratulations tarun, white swift looks stunning.Take care with run-in period and ride safe.Share its on road pricing and your to add list if any along with more pictures.CHEERS!!
Old 14th March 2009, 15:13   #5
BHPian

congratz dude!
iam looking forward for my vdi too..
i just sold my petra 1.6 a few days back.
just yesterday i came across a well maintained swift vdi run 28k looking in mint condition.took a td liked it.iv paid the token for the car and booked it.
guys the turbo kicks in at around 2200rpm and then the car takes off.it should kick in at 2000rpm right?
is it advisable to get the car checked in a maruti authorised service station?
the car also has a sporty exhaust attachment.is it just just for show or does it have some function?

Last edited by shantyrocks : 14th March 2009 at 15:15.
Old 14th March 2009, 16:30   #6
rippergeo

Congrats!
Love the colour! wish I had the patience to wait for my chosen colour.
It might rattle a bit, but all is forgiven at 2k rpm.
And dont forget the go kart feel on the corners.

Old 14th March 2009, 16:34   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy Tarun.
Take good care of the beast in the run-in period.
Cheers!
Old 14th March 2009, 17:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunmadhok View Post
The only thing which I felt was wrong on their part was they did not offer a single complimentary thing with the car like Mats or mud-flaps etc.
Congratulations on the car man, I got mine(same color vdi) over a month ago, done about 3000km on it, will be posting a review soon. Yeah maruti is stuck up on their diesels. Apparently even here, petrols had a lot of offers but nothing on the vdi. I still managed to bully the sales fellow(who is now scared of me!) into giving me free mudflaps, floormats, tinting and PS. Once the car is delivered though, theres little you can do since the deals done. Should've done it while negotiating. So don't think about it, enjoy your car! You're gonna love pulling away from traffic

Btw, on the cold start, dont exeed 2-2000 rpm and make sure you go all the way upto 3000 (not over, just upto) when the cars warm, it'll really help you're engine open up nicely. Also, below 2000 rpm, in any gear besides the 1st and 2nd, make sure you downshift.

enough talking, have fun boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
congratz dude!
guys the turbo kicks in at around 2200rpm and then the car takes off.it should kick in at 2000rpm right?
Depends on how the drivers opened up the engine or run it in. My friends vdi goes all the way upto 4000rpm with minimal pressure on the engine. So he manages to push the car very easily, however, he's lost out on the torqy feel that you get between 2-3k rpm. I on the other hand prefer the jolt over the topspeed so I ran it in upto 3k only so though my cars peppier than his, his vdi is faster. Depends on the run in and how you allow the piston rings to seal. Could be Light, Moderate(what I did) or Hard(what he did).... try n get a feel of how he drives the car, tell him to take you for a test drive. You'll know within the 1st few minutes....
Old 14th March 2009, 17:44   #9
BHPian

Thanks to all swift lovers for there best wishes. As I am new to D engine, I want tips on how to take care of a D engine when it is new. Thanks once again for the best wishes. will upload more pics tonight.

Last edited by tarunmadhok : 14th March 2009 at 17:46.
Old 14th March 2009, 17:52   #10
BHPian

One more white VDi! Congrats man.. take good care of the beast!
Old 14th March 2009, 18:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunmadhok View Post
Thanks to all swift lovers for there best wishes. As I am new to D engine, I want tips on how to take care of a D engine when it is new. Thanks once again for the best wishes. will upload more pics tonight.
Well u asked, I answered...
1. When running it in, don't get carried away, don't be too easy on it. If you want the engine to stay fast, make sure you always drive between 2000-3000 rpm. That will keep the torque band well excercised.
2. Every now and then push the car a little, it helps the engine, just dont push it over maybe 3200rpm for the 1st 1000km.
3. Don't underdrive the car! A lot of people are of the opinion that driving at low speeds is good, forget the speedo, make the tacho your friend and drive according to that between 2-3k. If it falls below 2k, downshift and as you close in on 3k, upshift. Gone are the days where you should run in based on speed, tachos are the right way to do it no matter what speed you're at.
4. Don't drive the car in any one gear constantly, its bad for a new engine so keep shifting, even if it means you need to slow down or speed up a little. Work every gear.
5. Don't push the car in the 1st gear
6. Make sure you pick up the car in the 1st gear ALWAYS from a complete stop or when you stop to go over a speed breaker. Picking it up in second is bad during the run in.
7. Tyres - Change them to 185/70 - 14". The stock tyres are rubbish and will make you loose confidence at speeds of over 80. Also, keep a check on the air pressure.
8. The Service Light - you'll notice it in the DDis, dont start the car until it goes off. Also, the ECU is designed to detect any interference so if you're getting any electrical work done, make sure you disconnect the battery or the ECU will trap errors.
9. Post you're first service(oil change, tightening etc) your car is ready to be pushed. But gradually. Remember, don't accelerate like its going out of style, rather, push the car purposefully. The car makes me very happy when I'm driving it in the power band so I inch towards 3.5 k gradually rather than just accelerating. Harsh acceleration is bad for the engine life but once in awhile, its completely ok.
10. Lastly, your run in decides the life of your engine so forget about the economy. Some people will get stagerring figures, some not. Concentrate on how you run the engine in rather than FE. FE will come but how you run your engine in decides how your car will perform for the rest of its life.

Phew! I'm done!
Old 14th March 2009, 18:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

All the best on your purchase.
Swift looks good in white.
Time to get better rubber and rims ( Atleast)

The pete's , Lights etc can wait.
Old 14th March 2009, 19:46   #13
rippergeo

@zahir- great post. where did you learn all this stuff? seriously!

Old 14th March 2009, 19:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@zahir- great post. where did you learn all this stuff? seriously!
I'm glad you like it. Well just like most of you guys, I just love my car. Most days I spend my time reading up on engines, how they work, whats good and whats not. The rest of the inputs are just based on practical experience. Over my 3 cars I've made a lot of mistakes so that has taught me a little something. So just sharing some tried and tested theories which I wish someone had shared with me when I first started driving
Old 14th March 2009, 20:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Great post Zahir. For someone like Tarun or me. Expecting my first Diesel Car (again a white Swift VDi) in 8-10 days after driving petrol cars for last 12 years.

Most Viewed