Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 11:54   #31
BHPian

Congrats. This is definitely one of the better looking cars from Hyundai. They are definitely getting better (European influence looks like).

Wish had the moolah to upgrade from my Palio .....
Old 16th March 2009, 12:01   #32
BHPian

Stunning looking car. Congratulations.

Wish it came with a powerful diesel engine. Would have loved to upgrade only if it was more powerful.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:03   #33
Senior - BHPian

tifosimagic,congrats for your i20 mate.Good choice of colour which makes this car look bigger then it is.Nice seat covers too, but show us the pics of her parking sensors with its display too.Drive safe and keep updating and also share its full occupancy drive experience,with its 1.2 kappa breath.
Old 16th March 2009, 18:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Stunning looking car. Congratulations.

Wish it came with a powerful diesel engine. Would have loved to upgrade only if it was more powerful.
I doubt this will be true for hatches any more. Even Honda's Jazz and Fiat's Grande Punto are expected with 1.2 litre engines to confirm with Governments small car norms.
Old 9th July 2009, 01:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosimagic View Post

The parking sensor display is on the dashboard, on the left side, next to the pillar. I will take some more pictures soon and upload them.
Still waiting for these pics.

It's been nearly four months since you got the car. How about an update? What do you think of the car now?
Old 15th July 2009, 01:39   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadiyar View Post
Still waiting for these pics.
It's been nearly four months since you got the car. How about an update? What do you think of the car now?
I"d be happy to do so
We don't do many miles on this car - only crossed 1000km last month which means I can finally push the engine a little bit .

The segment has really heated up with the (much discussed) launches of the Jazz - the car we were originally waiting for, the beautiful Grande Punto, and the I20 I.4D and 1.4 Automatic. Nonetheless, no post-purchase regrets!

Specific Notes:
Engine&Gearbox: Having pushed it a bit, and taken it on the highway to the airport, here's what I think
+ 2nd Gear is great for Bangalore-traffic city use. Good to cruise around, and fantastic instant power delivery to zip past cars (10-50 km/hr, not at highway speeds or anything)
- You definitely can't potter about in 3rd gear though, like you can in some cars. At lower revs, the acceleration is pedestrian.
+ Nonetheless, from 20km/hr in 2nd gear to 80/90 km/hr in 3rd and 4th gears, is pretty decent, and can give more powerful cars a run for their money.
- Beyond ~100 km/hr the engine fizzles out.
- Gearbox is mostly good and crisp. Occasionally a bit sloppy though, I don't know why. Perhaps my driving style is at fault.

Braking: Fantastic. I quite a few sudden stops for our brilliant unexpected speed breakers, at the absolute last minute, when I was certain that the car would go into a little trajectory. But no, the brakes+ABS works great, and the car stops with composure. The new Diesel and Petrol Automatic come with rear discs, so I can imagine those would be even better (although they are also a bit heavier, so perhaps they need the rear discs).

Steering: As noted by others, at high speeds it is a bit vague. Nonetheless, the car has been rock solid while turning, with very little body roll. It feels pretty solid.

Interiors: Have being holding up fine. No rattles of any sort (but only done around 1400km).

I have attached a picture with the parking sensor outlined in red. It shows the displace the distance I have at the back in meters, apart from making an annoying beeping sounds, depending on how far I am.

I've also attached a picture showing the front door handle, the little speaker, and the electric mirror controls.

Sorry for the poor quality - I don't have a digital camera so these are from my cellphone.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai I20 Asta Initial Ownership Report-i20-dashboard.jpg  

Hyundai I20 Asta Initial Ownership Report-i20-door-handle.jpg  

Old 15th July 2009, 10:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Your post helped me in my decision making, thank you. The fact that it is the only car in the sub 10 lakh range that is built primarily for developed global markets, filters the related benefits down to us.
Old 16th July 2009, 00:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Your post helped me in my decision making, thank you. The fact that it is the only car in the sub 10 lakh range that is built primarily for developed global markets, filters the related benefits down to us.
+1 to that. After two long years of "to buy or not to buy" I've finally gone and booked a Berry Red i20 Asta 1.2P. Your post helped in the decision making.

Many thanks from me too.

(P.S. and slightly OT maybe. Till the last minute, I couldn't make up my mind between Berry Red and Sparkle Blue - 10 minutes after booking the Berry Red, I saw a sparkling Sparkle Blue :( Wondering if I've made the right choice of color).
Old 16th July 2009, 08:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Till the last minute, I couldn't make up my mind between Berry Red and Sparkle Blue - 10 minutes after booking the Berry Red, I saw a sparkling Sparkle Blue :( Wondering if I've made the right choice of color).
Welcome to the grass is greener on the other side club! The Berry red cars look very regal, and you made a good choice. The only reason I did not take that is because I had a car of the color for 5 years in the recent past.
Old 16th July 2009, 09:49   #40
BHPian

It was very nice reading the entire thread. Very nicely written review. Congrats for your purchase.

As the car has run reasonably well, do you have the FE figures for the car (in city and on highways)? When is the first service due?
Old 24th July 2009, 14:29   #41

Quote:
Quote:
+1 to that. After two long years of "to buy or not to buy" I've finally gone and booked a Berry Red i20 Asta 1.2P. Your post helped in the decision making.

Many thanks from me too.

(P.S. and slightly OT maybe. Till the last minute, I couldn't make up my mind between Berry Red and Sparkle Blue - 10 minutes after booking the Berry Red, I saw a sparkling Sparkle Blue :( Wondering if I've made the right choice of color).
Great Glad to have helped. I thinkrRed looks fantastic on the I20. When we bought the silver one, we hadn't seen how it looked in red. If we had, I think we might have gone for the red instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
It was very nice reading the entire thread. Very nicely written review. Congrats for your purchase.

As the car has run reasonably well, do you have the FE figures for the car (in city and on highways)? When is the first service due?
Thank you. Since we run our car over very short distances, we've never paid attention to FE, so can't help you there. It would have been nice if the trip computer showed FE.
Aslo we've had our first routine service, I believe (it happened while I was away).

I would like to add a little complaint about the I-20 that I've discovered recently: over speedbreakers that are really narrow and high, the car seems to pitch forward, and if you take them a little too fast, the front of the car bottoms out. Perhaps its some sort of issue with the suspension set up. Future I20 owners, please careful of these nasty speed-bumps!
Old 24th July 2009, 16:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Noted, thanks, but my bigger worry would be if it touches the bumps - do you mean that front touches the speedbreaker or that the shocks bottom out? The former would be the concern really.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:26   #43

Quote:
I would like to add a little complaint about the I-20 that I've discovered recently: over speedbreakers that are really narrow and high, the car seems to pitch forward, and if you take them a little too fast, the front of the car bottoms out. Perhaps its some sort of issue with the suspension set up. Future I20 owners, please careful of these nasty speed-bumps!
Thanks for the tip. But speed breakers are illegal in Pune I havn't seen any yet. What we have in Pune are naturally made speed retarders (read potholes!). Hope the car handles them well.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:29   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have attached a picture with the parking sensor outlined in red. It shows the displace the distance I have at the back in meters, apart from making an annoying beeping sounds, depending on how far I am.
Is this parking sensor from red soul?
Old 25th July 2009, 10:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Gadiyar, Congratulation on your Berry Red i20 Asta. I also have the same colour & I love the colour a lot.

Quote:
Noted, thanks, but my bigger worry would be if it touches the bumps - do you mean that front touches the speedbreaker or that the shocks bottom out? The former would be the concern really.
Sawyer, I have been driving my i20 for more than 2 months in Navi Mumbai & Mumbai, but have never felt that the any part of the car will touch a speed breaker. I have experienced varied sizes of speed breakers in the city & have never faced any issue till date.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks