Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 15:15   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Great looking car Reckdriver. Liked your choice of colour. Your wheels are the Samurai series from Lenso I guess. How is she performing after the tyre upgrade? Do update this thread regularly and congratulations on your i20.
Thanks Dippy.

They are from the Samurai series and I really quite liked them. After the tyre upgrade, the grip seems to have improved. Road holding is pretty good as well.But haven't really had a chance to push around to check its handling capabilities. Will keep you updated.
Old 27th May 2009, 01:03   #32
BHPian

2000Km Update

Its been over 2 months of ownership, clogged about 2100Km and I am quite happy with the car. Car looks stunning in Blue and you get to see quite a few on Mumbai's roads. But there is one niggling problem am facing. Here goes.

- Got my first service done. Went quite smooth. Dealer called to remind me of the first service as well.

- Drives pretty smooth. If your the only one sitting in the car, turn off the A/C button and you can feel some power. But load the car with five passengers it does feel underpowered.

- Steering is very light and VERY sensitive.

- After the service I feel the aircon cools much faster.

- All important point. Have checked the FE only thrice till now. The first time round got 10. Second time did quite a bit of spirited driving and maybe strained the little motor. Got only 8.xx. Third time round was much better at about 10.1. 90% driving has been on the crowded streets of Mumbai. And also the fatter rubber has affected the FE.

- Here is my main grouse. As I have upgraded to 15inch wheels (i don't know if this is the reason), the passenger seat tends to rattle a lot when empty. Its quite irritating. I asked the service centre to rectify this. They did work on it but the next day the rattle came back. Not happy with this.

- Electric retract on mirrors a boon in crowded streets. The A-pillar is slightly thicker and obstructs vision sometimes.

- Otherwise its been a great experience till yet . If there's anything more you guys would like to know, lemme know.
Old 27th May 2009, 06:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckDriver View Post
Here are my initial impressions of my i20 asta !

Background:
I got the delivery of my Hyundai i20 Asta in blue on the 13th of March.
That means your car and I share the same birthday . Very good write up. Enjoy driving around in your new beauty. some pictures of the interiors please
Old 18th July 2009, 11:05   #34
BHPian

@Reckdriver

Thanks for all the insightful posts - I've booked a blue i20 too and plan to upgrade the tires as soon as I get it. I was thinking of 205/60/R14 (if there is such a size in the A-drives!) on the standard alloys to raise the GC by 5.5 mm (needed in my area!) and to get tighter handling, since I also found the steering to be very loose.

Is it possible to paint the stock alloys black? That'll bump up the looks a bit I guess!

Any suggestions? I don't want to go for an alloy upgrade since I cannot spend a lot on it right now (and I plan to do a speakers/amp upgrade already!)
Old 21st July 2009, 02:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
@Reckdriver

Thanks for all the insightful posts - I've booked a blue i20 too and plan to upgrade the tires as soon as I get it. I was thinking of 205/60/R14 (if there is such a size in the A-drives!) on the standard alloys to raise the GC by 5.5 mm (needed in my area!) and to get tighter handling, since I also found the steering to be very loose.

Is it possible to paint the stock alloys black? That'll bump up the looks a bit I guess!

Any suggestions? I don't want to go for an alloy upgrade since I cannot spend a lot on it right now (and I plan to do a speakers/amp upgrade already!)
Congratulations! I can assure you, that you will love the colour.

About the tyre upgrade, its very doubtful if that size is available. I would suggest stick to the same tyre size since switching to even 195/60 R14's would slightly reduce your ground clearance. But if you want, switch from the stock Apollo's to Michelin's.

I don't really know that if painting the alloy wheel is possible or even if its a good idea. Wouldn't reccomend it. Look around and try to see if you get a good bargain for the stock ones to switch over to something you like that fits a tight budget. Or rather wait and save up.

Also, Blacken out the B-pillars. Gives the car a much better view side-on.

Goodluck!
Old 11th August 2009, 17:51   #36
BHPian

Hi Reckdriver, my car has arrived and blue is an awesome color on this car - thanks - I almost changed it to white until I saw your post!

I'm getting Yokohama AVS ES100 205/60/R14 as an upgrade for Rs.3800 per tire (I am still to negotiate with the dealer and I know that there are good discounts on the ES100's, plus he'll offer something for the stock apollo's). You think I should go for ES100's or stick to buying Yoko A-drives?

So I'll be blackening the B-pillars tomorrow, and getting dark (but legal) tints too.

Alloys - found good looking black ones - didn't check the brand - just saw them at the tire shop. Maybe, just maybe it all falls in budget!
Old 11th August 2009, 19:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Reckdriver, my car has arrived and blue is an awesome color on this car - thanks - I almost changed it to white until I saw your post!
!
Congrats Reppy, can you pls post some pix once the mods are completed. Good color choice too.
Old 12th August 2009, 08:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm getting Yokohama AVS ES100 205/60/R14 as an upgrade for Rs.3800 per tire (I am still to negotiate with the dealer and I know that there are good discounts on the ES100's, plus he'll offer something for the stock apollo's). You think I should go for ES100's or stick to buying Yoko A-drives?
The 205's would be an overkill for the 1.2. A better choice would be 195's also, ES 100's are an old pattern. Other than the appearance of the tire, the Adrives are superior.

Btw, congrats on the new car. I wanted blue too, but the dealer didn't have a car to show what it looks like in real life, so went for another colour. Pls post a detailed ownership review.

Last edited by JayD : 12th August 2009 at 08:59.
Old 12th August 2009, 09:09   #39
BHPian

Please do not put very wide tires on the i20 1.2 ltr model. The small engine is already strained with regular 185 tires. Would have liked to get the CRDi with 205 size tires that could neutralise the light steering.
Old 13th August 2009, 12:35   #40
BHPian

Ok guys sorry I read all this too late (I would've done the tire upsize anyways!)..

So she is now tinted 50% side-70% rear as per norms with 3M film (Rs. 3500), has parking sensors (Autocop, Rs. 3500), 205/60/R14 Yokohama AVS ES100 tires (all five for Rs. 5000 extra and in exchange of old tires) & a rear speaker upgrade - JBL GT 265 (?) 6" ones (Rs. 3000).

That's all my budget permitted - unfortunately I'll have to keep damping, alloy swap (with 14" black ones - apollo accelere has good ones-model no. was SH81 I think), seat covers and amp as a mid-life upgrade option!

And the experience - here goes (sorry I'm in no mood to start a new thread - I don't find anything extra-ordinary to report except the tire upsize):

I wanted a car that was city friendly, spacious enough for a pram in the boot and space for 4 adults (since I'm a family man now), decent pick-up and good to drive - with a light clutch and gearbox.

When I test drove the i20 I knew this would be the car for me but the only deterrent was the oversensitive steering and instability that lended to the car when the steering was flicked around quickly. I went for the blue color anyways after waxing and waning between blue, red and white (thanks Reckdriver - I stuck to blue in the end!) and I've got the car delivered now.

I didn't buy Punto because it was not at all spacious and I did not like the short 1st and 2nd gears. I didn't buy Jazz because it was obviously overpriced and totally out of budget.

Mileage was not an issue since this is an extra car for us. So I knew, upon receiving the car and driving around for 25-30 kms that I need a tire upgrade. Firstly, I did not go for 195/60R14 because that would've reduced GC by 6 mm, whereas 205/60R14 would've increased GC by 6mm - which is good for us here in Gurgaon. Secondly, I did not want to invest into a new set of 15" rims so it had to be 14" and that's why my only option was 205/60 R14.

The only tires available in 205/60 R14 are the ES100, A.drives (but not easily) and Potenza GIII. I got an awesome deal on the ES100 so went for those (Rs. 5000 for swap on all 5 rims). Other dealers offered me between Rs.7k-9k so I chose the ES100.

..And the result is great! the car no longer slides and slips around like it did on the Acceleres and is VERY grippy despite the sensitivity of the steering (which is slightly reduced but not by much - its a hardly perceivable difference). I'm very happy with the upsize. There are no issues with 205/60 R14 upsizing with the i20 between steering lock-to-lock, I'm happy to report. So if anyone is apprensive, please don't be and go for it - it is totally worth it!!! Increased road noise is barely perceivable and the suspension is also slightly better now with 6mm more of sidewall (though I know the ES100 might be slightly stiffer than the Apollos).

I did the rear speaker upgrade since the rear stock speakers are pathetic - but I think its not enough - the stock front speakers are very good and this car definitely needs an amp and damping. The overall sound, though, is acceptable since I don't see myself blasting out music at full volume with a baby in the back-seat! Don't get me wrong - for 80% of the people out there - the stock setup on the i20 is good.

I'll put up pics here in the evening or by tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the advice - happy i20 owner here
Old 13th August 2009, 14:47   #41
BHPian

Congrats reppy!! Nice colour choice . have a question for you - Can the rear seats accomodate 3 adults comfortably? Howz the pickup in 1st/2nd?
Awaiting pics

- Vish
Old 13th August 2009, 20:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car reppy! Waiting for your review thread! great to see more people signing up for the i20 club!!
Old 13th August 2009, 21:06   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwask82 View Post
Congrats reppy!! Nice colour choice . have a question for you - Can the rear seats accomodate 3 adults comfortably? Howz the pickup in 1st/2nd?
Awaiting pics

- Vish
The rear seat is alright - fitting 3 for short drives is not an issue. The 1st gear is well tuned since the engine revs quickly. The 2nd gear - pickup doesnt start until the car crosses 2000 rpm and that can take a while sometimes - I've been in situations where I had to downshift sometimes to 1st gear - but I don't mind really.
Old 13th August 2009, 21:16   #44
BHPian

Ok - posting pics of my car - Still wondering how I can accomodate an alloy upgrade. I'm getting Apollo Accelere SH81 for 5500 and a local black one (Xtreme racing) for Rs. 4500..anyone heard of Xtreme racing?

Old 13th August 2009, 21:40   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Love this blue color from the pics. Yet too see one in person. And seriously, Reddy, alloys make a hell of a difference to the character of the car (Myself got hit by the "I want alloys bug" 2 months back).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks