Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 18:45   #16
BHPian

Hi BHPians, here is the update of the second part of the NHC story. As I had mentioned, I had to take the car to my home town (Manimala in Kottayam dt) and I had planned to take it for easter weekend. But then some other plans came up ( a trip to Destiny Farms Ooty) and hence I decided to prepone the Manimala trip to April 3

My brother had come from my native so that we could both share the driving.
Decided to start the trip by 3 PM on friday and then all pre travel checks done.
Time 3 PM: started the drive from my home in Kaggadasapura.Reached Hosur by 3 50,and after that, the drive was as smooth as sailing and then we stopped for our first break at Royal Bakery Mettur and time was 6 PM.

Had a cup of coffee and some snacks and resumed the journey at 6 15. All the time, I had doubts whether to take the Sathy route and when we reached Ammapettai, decided to hit sathy route and it proved to be good decision as there were virtually no traffic

Time 7 30 PM : Sathymangalam and driving towards coimbatore.No issue still we reached Saravanampatty (around 10 kms before CBE) and then signs of traffic started.Still, we managed to niggle through and we were in CBE

Time 8 30: reached Gandhipuram and on the way to Ukkadam. Decided to refuel at the bunk right next to Ukkadam bus stand.

Filled up 23 ltr and the found that we had travelled 366 kms and mileage came like 14.5 (tank full to tank full)

Now,our stomach started sending out signs of hunger and hence decided to find some hotel and then found this drive in hotel immediately on the left once you rejoin the NH 47 (this is the starting point of LT byepass when coming from palghat)

Time 9 30: done with the dinner and then one important assignment.

As I had mentioned, I had done only the temp regn of the car and hence I was advised to give the form 16 at walayar check post as the car was new and unregistered. Filled up the form 16 and resumed the journey

Time 10: started the drive from hotel and on the way to Walayar

Time 10 30 : saw the welcome to Kerala board and right below that , could see the long queue of vehicles.

Time 10 35 : still in queue

Time 10 45 : still in queue.Would have moved 10 meters

Time 11 00: still in queue and would have moved another 100 mts

While waiting in the qeueu, saw a train of vehicles moving ahead of me on the right lane (making a fool of all those who were waiting). I too thought I should also have done that,

Time 11 10: could see the same train of vehicles coming back (ofcourse in reverse) as cops had stopped all those and made them go back and enter some bye lane. Now the sad part for them was that once that lane was cleared, vehicles started coming from opp direction and then were blocked for almost 45 mins (as they couldnt find a way to cross as the bye lane was on the other side)

Time 11 15: still in queue and moved a bit closer to the MV checkpost

Time 11 30: managed to crawl and parked the car near the sales tax checkpost

Went out to the counter and told my case that I wanted to give form 16 for new vehicles. Now, the interesting part started. They told me that I needn't even stop at the checkpost.There is no entry tax and hence you can take your vehicle.
But then I insisted that they accept the form and issue me a tax token so that I wont have any issues in registering the car.
After some thoughts,they gave me the tax seal(ofcourse not asingle penny to be shelled out) Am I not happy ?

11 45 : resumed the journey and rest of the drive was as a breeze (except for occasional trains of trucks)

Time 3:30 AM : saw me happily parking the car in my house and hitting the bed for a good sleep..

Last edited by joecherian : 6th April 2009 at 18:46.
Old 6th April 2009, 18:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
...Went out to the counter and told my case that I wanted to give form 16 for new vehicles. Now, the interesting part started. They told me that I needn't even stop at the checkpost.There is no entry tax and hence you can take your vehicle.
But then I insisted that they accept the form and issue me a tax token so that I wont have any issues in registering the car.
After some thoughts,they gave me the tax seal(ofcourse not asingle penny to be shelled out) Am I not happy ? ...
Great! Now this is giving me some wicked thought!

Now, tell us the part of registration.
Old 6th April 2009, 19:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Great! Now this is giving me some wicked thought!
What is that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Now, tell us the part of registration.
Well, here is the final part of the story.

Got up from my sleep at around 9 AM, had a good bath in homely water (in blr, I used to have bath in bore water which I hate) and started off to RTO office for registering.

Found my cousin's friend who doubles up as an agent in the RTO office, gave him all the forms, filled up my part and took the vehicle for inspection by the MVI.

On seeing the temp regn paper, MVI told that he hasn't seen a temp regn doc which is valid for 1 month (normally temp regn is only for 7 days) and hence he was in doubt as to what to do. Later, he decided that he has to consult his superior (who,was on leave that day) and hence aborted the regn process.

Now, I had booked my return ticket to bangalore same day and hence, gave all the forms to my dad so that he can take the vehicle again on monday (ie today).

Got a call from my home today evening, that regn was done without any isssues(only after the superior officer came and put his stamp)

As a whole, everything went fine without much issues. And the jackpot was that if I had to buy the same in kerala, it would have cost me 8 38 lakhs as the dealer was not ready to give any discounts and now, my total cost of ownership is 7.42 . AM I not happy again.!!!!
Old 6th April 2009, 19:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is that ? ...
Follow the same process with my next purchase!

Quote:
... AM I not happy again.!!!!
Two birds in a stone, eh! Way to go man!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks