Team-BHP - My I20 Magna
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   My I20 Magna (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/55663-my-i20-magna.html)

Hi Guys,
I took delivery of i20 Magna(Berry red) last weekend. Been looking for a new car for the last 6-7 months. Been a regular visitor for T-BHP and thanks to everyone for their posts which helped me gain valuable information.

Let me tell a bit of my driving history first. Started out in good ol' Fiat Premier Padmini.It remained loyal for 5 years and we upgraded to a second hand M800 Std. Its been 10 years for the M800 in the family and we needed a decent upgrade.

My basic requirements were:
1) A spacious hatchback even though couple of sedans crossed my mind.
2) Not cramped at the rear
3) A new model
4) Mileage should be reasonable as the avg monthly mileage is around 600 to 800 kms.
5) Budget - 4.5 to 5.5L

The 3 most recent launches that I checked out in detail were:
1) Indica vista - Loved the space, the VFM package and the price. But thought of waiting for a couple of months to get some feedback.
2) Astar - The rear legroom was an issue. Does not look really like an upgrade from M800. So did not go ahead with it.
3) I-20 - I was looking fwd for this when Hyundai showcased it in Paris auto show and mentioned about the India debut as well. When asked at a Hyundai dealership, they mentioned it would be Apr-May 09 for the India launch. But good thing they launched at the end of December.
It fulfills all the requirements that I had plus was eye-catching, the interiors were top notch and presumably a good ***.
Even though the car feels bit underpowered with AC, its not really a worry for me. Note I am upgrading from a M800.
Will try to get a much more detailed report with mileage figures after some time.

Other cars that kept me interested, but did not make cut were:
1) Ford iKon - dated looks both interior and exterior
2) Indigo CS - Parents loved the car. But I thought, if a sedan then let it be a larger sedan.
3) Fial Palio - was very tempted after the price reduction in Dec - 4.1L OnRoad. But by that time there were reports of the I-20 so waited a bit longer.
4) Swift - Not much legroom at the back.
No offence to anyone.

Next decision criterion was Petrol or Diesel:
My monthly running of around 600-800 does not really warrant a diesel. But the price of I20 Magna Petrol and Indica Vista Quadrajet is almost the same. So could've saved that little extra with the diesel. This was on my mind for some time, but heart ruled over the mind and then decided on the I-20.

Dealership experience:
Booked the car at Advaith Hyundai, Residency Road.
There were no issues related to test drive or explanation of features. By that time I had got enough info from TBhp ;-)
The waiting period was 6-7 weeks, the car was delivered on the 8th week. I was not really in a hurry, so did not make any issue out of it.
Delivery process was smooth. Got a photo clicked with the car, thats the only ceremony.
No discounts. Only Mats were given. Mudflaps still pending.

Insurance:
I have taken insurance externally(again thanks to Tbhp) for around 10k. The one offered from the dealership was around 15k at the time of booking. At delivery time, I noticed that the insurance from the dealership had incresed to 16k.

Now for some bad news :(
I noticed a gap where the hood closes. The hood line from the left headlight till the middle is fine but at the end of right headlight there is a gap. I completely missed it while taking delivery. My bad! We talk about panel gaps in Tatas, did not expect this from Hyundai. The gap can be seen even in the photo taken at the delearship during delivery. Now the gap seems more prominent to my eyes.
Will try to post picture of it. Has anybody faced such issues?
What can be done to rectify this?

Congrats on the new car.
Post a pic of the offending gap.
My experience with Hyundai is that they have good tight tolerances in assembly. Had a Santro for five years, now a Getz for last three, no complaints on their fit and finish. Perhaps this had a small accident pre-delivery?

congrats on your buy. please share some more pics and driving experience. even i am eyeing at i20 in next 2 to 3 months. Really looking out for some ownership reviews.

Key points:
1. Driving comfort.
2. Rear Sitting.
3. Storage space.
4. Mileage. (What you are getting and not what company is claiming.)
5. AC performance. ( As you see, i live in Ahmedabad, where we need AC on almost all yr round).

Thanks in advance.

Congrats ntneo on the i20.
Do upload pics soon and your review on the key points mentioned by h@r$h@l.

Congrats on your new ride.
Waiting for some interior and exterior pics.

Plus the pic of the defect on hood that you are talking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntneo (Post 1229983)
My basic requirements were:
1) A spacious hatchback even though couple of sedans crossed my mind.
2) Not cramped at the rear
3) A new model
4) Mileage should be reasonable as the avg monthly mileage is around 600 to 800 kms
5) Budget - 4.5 to 5.5L.

1. Please post some interior pics soon.
2. Is the rear space better than Indica Vista??
3. Whats the mileage you are getting in city n on highway??
4. What was the on-road price?

And Congrats for your buy. Enjoy and Ride Safe :thumbs up

Enjoy the uber cool car!
Berry red sounds like an exotic color too.
Since i20 is a new model I'm sure the dealer will quickly rectify the offending panel gap in your car.
Looking forward to pics of your car!

Congrats on your great buy buddy!
You would have signed a certificate stating that the car has been completely checked and is free of defects during delivery. Take your car striaght to the dealer, and pin point to them the defect on your car and mention that you were given a certificate of verification that states the car is defect free. You need not fight with them, but as a consumer you are within your rights to make sure they dont take you for granted. It is also a chance for you to find out who are the reliable personnel at the dealership/service center. All the best!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntneo (Post 1229983)
Now for some bad news :(
I noticed a gap where the hood closes. The hood line from the left headlight till the middle is fine but at the end of right headlight there is a gap. I completely missed it while taking delivery. My bad! We talk about panel gaps in Tatas, did not expect this from Hyundai. The gap can be seen even in the photo taken at the delearship during delivery. Now the gap seems more prominent to my eyes.
Will try to post picture of it. Has anybody faced such issues?
What can be done to rectify this?

Congratulations !

This may be a small alignment issue - easily rectified. However its difficult to conclude without seeing the car.
So click away - put up a few - and we'll banish all doubts!clap:

Congrts - good choice. Do post pix and keep us posted

To me,the only negative thing about the i20 would be the underpowered engine

If you are fine it,the rest is brilliant. And from your post the requirements you had,this is by far the best option clap:

When I went with one of my friends for his i10 delivery 3 months back, they had a white on display, sat in that and felt really good.

Enjoy the drive.

About the gap, please post a pic and would be able to tell you how serious it is.

Thanks Guys :)

Attaching close up pics of the left and right headlights.
These are hurried pics taken yesterday.
Observe the gap increasing in the second pic.
Let me know what you think.

Strange enough, no one else has noticed this.

Will take detailed pics of the car during the weekend after a nice wash of the car :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetrage911 (Post 1230231)
1. Please post some interior pics soon.
2. Is the rear space better than Indica Vista??
3. Whats the mileage you are getting in city n on highway??
4. What was the on-road price?

And Congrats for your buy. Enjoy and Ride Safe :thumbs up

1. Pics surely during the weekend.
2. Rear space not as good as Vista but definitely better than Swift.
And there is no bump in the middle as with most cars. So 3 adults can sit pretty comfortably behind. Will post pic of the interior as well.
3. Not yet calculated the mileage
4. 5.59L. Taken insurance seperately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by h@r$h@l (Post 1230008)
congrats on your buy. please share some more pics and driving experience. even i am eyeing at i20 in next 2 to 3 months. Really looking out for some ownership reviews.

Key points:
1. Driving comfort.
2. Rear Sitting.
3. Storage space.
5. AC performance. ( As you see, i live in Ahmedabad, where we need AC on almost all yr round).

Thanks in advance.

1. Driving comfort
- the seats are real good.
- Suspension is great. On small speedbreaks, if I rush through does not kick up the back end. Seems balanced.
- The audio system controls are a bit high from the gear knob. I have got used to my M800 where the music controls are just a finger away when I rest my hand on the gear knob. But will get used to it.

2. Rear Sitting.
- I havent really sat at the back yet. But people who have sat behind till now have no complaints ;-)
3. Storage space.
- The glove box is pretty deep. Has an AC vent inside it as well.
- Not really loaded up the boot. Will let you know when I go on a trip
- Not yet calculated. Just run around 150km.
- Pickup not that great at 2nd gear with AC on in stop-go traffic. Need to downshift. Once in motion, do not feel any difference.

Congratulations
If I am not wrong, you are the first team BHPianto own an i20clap:
please post some pics and detailed review

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajtheindian (Post 1231038)
Congratulations
If I am not wrong, you are the first team BHPianto own an i20clap:
please post some pics and detailed review

well there are already two more reviews before this one on tbhp!

Anyway congrats bhai. I have also booked one fore myself - same color but the Asta version. I hope to get it in 3-4 weeks. I didnt notice this kind of gap in the test drive vehicle and also in the Magna model that is there in our society. So it probably in ur car only. U shud talk to the dealer about it. I think Hyundai would be able to rectify it.

Once again congrats and drive safe. Enjoy ur drive.