Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:47   #1
BHPian

Went to book ANHC but ended up buying 2 cars with the same amount of money.

Note from Mod : Please split your text matter up into paragraphs. Else, it's an eyesore to other users.

hey guys.. as many of you know i used to drive a RIO OHC. had bought it in 2003. Maintained it impeccably and enjoyed it fully for 5 years. The car was starting to show its age and wanted to decide whether to buy a new car or bring this one back to life.. started the research.. first made a list of the work to be done to my OHC. Since i was bored with the body kit I thought of converting it back to stock and carrying out performance mods. After through inspection by my uncle, he's a automobile engineer we made a exhaustive list of work needed on the car. 1. stock bumpers (front and rear)2. new alloys and tires (15's) as i guess i would develop back problems if i drove on 17's anymore3. new suspension4. new upholstry5. engine tune up as engine was in a very good condition and did not require any major work6. fresh paintjob and some more knick knacks here and there. After this had to decide on the mods I needed to do.I am not an expert but with my limited knowledge I thought I’ll add a turbo, msd ignition, pipercross filter (replace my K&N), hurricane cables ( I have them currently on my car but wanted a new set), HKS Iridium spark plugs (already have), automech freeflow, fuel pressure regulator, strut bar, bi-xenons, bigger disc brakes.After deciding my mods I thought I’ll give my car for that makeover but lil did I realize that my brother had also grown up and wanted his own set of wheels. Till now we used to share this car between us. So now all my plans were shelved. Dad just casually said why don’t we sell off the OHC and buy a new car. I was confused as my brother did not want to part with the OHC. I just put up an ad for my OHC on team-bhp and there.. started getting many calls for the car.. had put it up for 3.45 lacs.Then one day got a call from this guy who said he wants to have a look. I though its ok to jus show the car and get an offer. He drove the car and made an offer of 3.00 lacsDad thought it’s a good price and we shud sell it off and get a new one.. I still confused said whatever ur ok with.. so we accepted the offer and the deal was closed at 3.07 lacsThen I started searching for a car for me.. Believe me guys I saw cars starting from an alto going up to the civic. Got brochures for all of them.Then on a Sunday, me and dad sat down. First question I shot.. what is my budget.. he said around 10 lacs. So altis and civic were out of question. And I am not that dumb to go for an alto, wagon r, a-star knowing my dad wud not get me a new one for atleast 3 years.Then I thought about the fabia but hearing all horror stories abt skoda did not want to opt for it. Then next week we went for a TD to the Honda showroom for ANHC. The td car was not there..so dad jus had a close look and said.. the OHC was much better than this.. we thought of going for an auto transmission. The ex-showroom price was coming upto 9.8 lacs. We told the salesguy that we’ll think over it.. While driving back home I told dad that it makes more sense to get 2 cars instead of sharing one between me and my bro. Dad said whatever ur comfortable with but the budget shud not go above 10 lacs. I came home and told my bro abt the plans of getting 2 cars instead of ANHC. He was also excited as he wud get his own car. He had his mind set on the swift so swift it was.. booked the car with vitesse (swift vxi pearl white) and the delivery was done in 7 days. Its been around 3 months since we have got the swift. It’s a very smooth car for city use. Will put up pics this week.Now it was my turn to buy a new car. I thought that instead of getting 2 small cars, I should search for a sedan in the range of 5 to 5.5 lacs. There were not many options for a sedan in this range. Options to choose from .. Ford Ikon, Mahindra Logan and Hyundai accent.Saw all the three and thought accent is value for money. So booked a Hyundai accent executive with Jayabharat Hyundai which shud be delivered by 10 April. I know it’s a dated car but with the budget constraints, I guess this is the best sedan. Did not like the ford for the quality of interiors, gadget placements etc while logan did not give that luxury feel. Booked a silver color accent executive. On road price 5.60 lacs on road new Bombay. Got 10000 cash discount. 5000 corporate discount. Anti rust and Teflon with 3 years warrantee and free fog lamps.The total on road amount came to around 5.45 lacs. I feel I made the right decision by opting for 2 cars instead of ANHC. I know there is no comparision.I’ll put up pictures of the accent once I get delivery. So guys please advise whether the decision seems logical if u disregard fuel costs. Cheers.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2009 at 18:40.
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:57   #2
BHPian

Dude Congrats. But you could have chosen Suzuki SX4 instead..
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hey, can you make your post a li'l more readable by proper spacing please ? Its very hard to read otherwise. Sincere request. Thanks
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Hey, can you make your post a li'l more readable by proper spacing please ? Its very hard to read otherwise. Sincere request. Thanks
Ditto !

but anyway interesting story there.

by the way - wats a RIO OHC ?? and were you running 17" wheels ?? hows that possible ? i cant imagine an OHC taking that size
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:22   #5
BHPian

Accent Executive - 5.45L on road v/s DZire VXi - 5.8L on road (approx)

What are the advantages of Accent over DZire?
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

So the Honda Dude has become the Hyundai Dude. Congrats. Accent is still VFM.
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:17   #7
BHPian

This is interesting story, from OHC to considering ANHC seriously and then deciding to go for 2 cars instead, a Swift and an Hyundai Accent. I feel you should have kept the OHC and bought a swift for bro, the accent seems somewhat misplaced in this whole situation imho. But please don't let me or anyone dampen your enthusiasm, as long as you are happy that's the only thing that matters.
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

I really liked the look of your OHC. Rio modified and all !! But anyway, I still think if you were going to buy a couple of Accents anyway, maybe it would have been better to just keep the old scorcher and get one Accent additionally. Well whatever, as long as you're happy with your decision, I'm happy for you! Congratulations. You've made a serious VFM decision here.
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:33   #9
BHPian

hey fellasthanks for all the comments.actually even i wanted to keep the ohc but no one was using the car the way it shud be used. like take the rev limiter to the red line.. i did not want to go in for a swift dzire as i already bought the swift. also my budget was strictly around 10 thats why cud not go for the sx4 also.i know its crazy to go for suzuki and hyundai after using the honda but money constraints. also when i modded the ohc i was in college. now i have started working so a modded ohc appears to be a lil loud.one more shocker. dad jus called up and said that he has booked the altis for his office use. it generally is used by my uncles, dad and my cousin so there are rare ocassions when i get to see it. let alone drive it. Also i dunno how but he said he saw the nano on display somewhere and he said lets get one jus to see how it feels and use it for like 10000 kms and sell it off.now i know the guys will say that its difficult that u will get it in the first lot.. but i mostly will.. top secret..
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:06   #10
Team-BHP Support

Nice of you to compromise for your kid bro, good on ya mate!
But, how does it feel in the Accent after having driven an OHC for quite a while?

manson.
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:12   #11
BHPian

Dude congrats for the two new cars.

IMHO a Dzire Ldi would have been a better choice given your budget. In that way you would have had a diesel and a petrol car too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude View Post
...Anti rust and Teflon with 3 years warrantee and free fog lamps.
I think teflon is a strict no no on this forum. Kindly read the posts in the following thread; especially the posts of GTO.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post1233029
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:21   #12
BHPian

thanks for the replies fellas. i have driven an accent before and i found it to be quite smooth.. not as responsive as an OHC off course.. I truthfully did not like the rear design of swift dzire and also the fact that i already have a swift.. the other ption was a ford ikon but i did not like the interiors of the ikon.. especially the placement of the power window buttons.. also the plastics felt a bit tad.. no offense meant to ikon owners.. have decided to do up the swift and keep the accent stock..initial mods will be 15" alloys and if budget permits then xenons or angel eyes
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:04   #13
BHPian

IMO, it was a really a practical decision.

I'll also prefer Accent any day compare to Ikon / Dzire / Logan.

Though relatively old, it looks great & balanced (just like santro, IMO looks better than newer Hatches).

With that interiors, reliability & *** of Hyundai, Accent is a clear winner. Also Hyundai has reduced the price considerably in last few years.

looking on Dzire a rattling snake with poor built quality, Logan an ugly looking car & Ikon, Dated & heavy maintenance car, Accent is a true VFM in the segment.

Congrats & Enjoy the car.

Put good Pics & Do update us with reviews.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:12   #14
BHPian

thanks alaap.even i think accent is a clear choice if u want a sedan under 6 lacs. I know it might not return goof FE but i guess it will return similar figures like ANHC.many of u might not know but accent executive does not have a dash clock. i asked the dealer to install it to whcih se said that the clock costs 5000 and will not have any guarantee. does anyone have any idea about this because as far as i know, suzuki gives warranty on all its accessories.also does anyone know approx cost for getting it installed outside

Last edited by honda_dude : 3rd April 2009 at 19:13.
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:11   #15
BHPian

@honda_dude: congrats mate, it is indeed a logical decision. The Accent is very practical car which will serve your needs well.

Please keep us updated with the delivery experience and pics

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks