Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2009, 20:27   #1
BHPian

My Verna CRDI ABS buying experience

Found time to share my Verna CRDI ABS buying experience finally. Bought my car on 31st May 2008.
My car is stock, with ICE from my previous Zen - Pioneer head mp3 player, 6x9 JBL 400W rear speakers & Alpine tweeters, may install a JBL 1000W sub woofer from my brother's Santro as he does not use it often. The dealer - Trident put in art leather seats & transparent mats in the car. Upgraded the bulbs to 100w Philips, relay & ceramic holders. Have to do something about the fog lamps, presently they add cosmetic value only, practically of no use.

I had a 1995 Zen earlier, but Team-BHP helped me buy my car - Hyundai Verna CRDI (ABS). The ownership reviews that I found here also helped me decide on not buying the Octavia - I initially wanted so much to buy it & had almost decided, but then thought it would be a good idea to check out if some information was available online & that’s when I remembered a thread which was forwarded by one of my friend who is a member of Team-BHP on his trip to Jog falls. Well I did my review & with a sad heart realized the Octavia would have been very heavy on my pocket (just read the post on Harishv's experience & his ongoing legal battle with Skoda & can't thank my lucky stars & Team-BHP enough that I don't own a Skoda).

The 2nd option was to settle for the Honda City as my wife liked it very much. Since my brother had picked up a Santro, he pestered me to check out the Verna as well. Well to be frank, I did not like the looks of the Verna. I had driven my friend's Accent CRDI long back in 2001 & remembered the surge of power it had & the smile it brought to my face, he too had picked up the Verna CRDI. So I went to check the Verna (on display was a SX model) & was sadly disappointed with the wooden interiors & the switchgear for the climate control (to all who have the SX model, sorry guys, I somehow don’t seem to like wooden interiors). I literally ran to the Honda showroom, but not before the Sales manager in Hyundai saw my face & she forced me to take her business card & said that she would call me later to arrange for a test drive, I said I would call back.

Well, the guys at Honda were friendly (not that the guys at Hyundai weren't) & they immediately got me a City ZX, I took a drive & with 4 of us in it & with due respects to the City, it just felt a tad more powerful than my Zen, the only difference being the amazing interiors.

I felt I was making a compromise if I decided on picking up the City (what with the news that a new model was being released by end of 2009). Called the manager at Hyundai who promised to send a car for a test drive the next day which was a Sunday. There it came - the Hyundai Verna CRDI. We were again 4 of us & as soon as I got an open stretch, I floored the accelerator, at first nothing, it was as if that was the most it could do, just maintain the same pace, wondered if I had been dreaming all along of the surge of power the Accent CRDI deivered. Then after 2000rpm, it just took off .... (like an aeroplane taking off, the brakes are on, the turbines are building speed, the vibration increasing & then whoosh, the acceleration the body is subjected to as soon as the brakes are released) ... To tell the truth, I was scared, but I was grinning (it was the same feeling that I had when I rode a friend's RX-100 in college & later when I had graduated from my 1st bike - the respectable KB-100 to the Yamaha 135 or even when I rode my cousin's RX-100 which was tuned for max power) but this was in a different league.

I could see my brother grinning with a "I told you" look on his face. I did not see what the reaction was on the Hyundai representative's face. Well, I just enjoyed the sheer acceleration the car had. I then decided that this was the car I wanted to own (a decision made in just 2 seconds which was not normal for me as I take ages to decide on anything), it didn’t matter how it looked because I just enjoyed driving the car.

A case in point is the buying experience. The Sales rep was informative & very helpful, always called when he said he would, had the courage to say he didn't know something when I posed a technical query but offered to find it for me & called back as promised with the information. I guess it's because of people like him & the strategy Hyundai adopts when selling & A.S.S., the company is where it is now. People know they don't have to do a lot of research if they're buying a Hyundai. Kudos Hyundai.

I have since enjoyed driving the Verna, both my wife & I had to say goodbye to our red Zen, with a heavy heart as it carried many happy moments of our life - it was my first car.

Now we enjoy driving the Verna with my 2 1/2 year old daughter who even helps me wash the car on Sunday's. We've had 2 trips to Kerala & the drives were memorable.

Over a period of time, I have begun to like the looks of my car, I guess the styling just grows on you. I miss driving my car as I’m abroad for the past 2 months & am back home only in April. So long.
Old 4th April 2009, 23:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice report on the buying experience, but can we get a review of the car ? The price OTR ? FE ? Service experience at Hyundai ?

Verna is powerful, no doubt and the fact that you followed your heart is the best part of this experience.
Old 5th April 2009, 01:03   #3
BHPian

Good choice, going with the beast of an engine in the Verna.

This car does put many of it's rivals to shame both in outright acceleration and the 'seat of the pants' feeling.

Congrats!!
Old 5th April 2009, 05:57   #4
BHPian

I did check the FE on the drive to Kerala, gave me around 15kpl. The car had run only 4000 odd kms when I checked it & should return more after some more running. Haven't checked the FE in the city because I use it only on weekends.
It cost me 8.93 lac OTR with only a 7k corporate discount. Got the art leather & transparent mats in exchange for the music system that the dealer was offering.
The driving experience is wonderful. Initial experiece found the car taking off on its own as soon as I released the clutch in the 2nd gear & it was pretty irritating after having driven a petrol car for 8 years. Got used to that very soon & now can control the speed by depressing the clutch (am sure this will eat into the life of the clutch).
Since I haven't driven in the past 2 months, I have to get back to India to feel the car again & will pen the driving experience. Right now am being chauffeured in Toyota Avensis', Corollas, Nissan Almeras & the odd Merc at times as taxis in Ireland, have forgotton what the feeling was driving my Verna.
Another grouse that I have is the interiors, if Hyundai had put a little thought like they did when designing the i20, the Verna could have had an upmarket feel to the interior. I am checking the feasibility of fixing the i20's steering wheel once I'm back in India.
Old 5th April 2009, 11:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

An another Verna bitten person!

Seems like Hyundai, with a product as this, with their A.S.S and good sales experience being given by customers, is surely on THE right track!

Congrats Santosh! Wish you many more miles of happy motoring!
Old 5th April 2009, 11:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the Car.

I own one and I know exactly what you mean !! 15 kpl is the right FE for this car and I get the same right from the beginning.
Old 5th April 2009, 11:57   #7
BHPian

So got your 3yr old kid to help you huh? one of the nicest moment of owning a car isnt it?. Well just be cautious mate she can be a lil handful at times but you know we men need that "surge". Happy driving.

P.S how is the handling santhosh? especially during cornering? any excessive body roll? would be nice if you would let us know

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks