Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2009, 17:39   #1
BHPian

Linea MJD E pack Black - Finally -

Hello everyone,

First of all thanks to all at tbhp esp. (nehamit), I learnt a lot and it helped finally to make my decision. I was waiting for Linea, like several of us since a while, finally it arrived and how.

I have been driving an Accent since few years, and wanted to get a new car. Lot of options, since my total driving per month is not more than 500km, so FE was not the primary criteria, but the irony is I bought a Diesel ! I studied several cars, and obviously the AHNC and Linea were the last standing soldiers. For me looks matter and wanted a new car, so rest of the cars in and around that class were out.

Why did I choose Fiat Linea:

- Brilliant styling, especially the headlamp assembly, rivals any D segment.
- Ride and handling, much better than AHNC, I had driven both at 130kms, I did not feel confident in AHNC to go further (personal opinion)
- Blue & Me ( I know its silly to put that here..but I like gizmos )
- Excellent value preposition – can’t beat the pricing
- Loads of features on the E pack
- Interiors better than AHNC, barring few bits, especially the rear armrest..is rather “A segment”
- Engine – everywhere it is mentioned under powered etc. and AHNC is like a souped up GTO. I beg to differ, I TDed both back to back few times, (
different AHNCs also ), initial acceleration / pickup, no doubt AHNC is better. Once we see overdrive, I prefer the response of the Linea. At more than 60kph there is no difference in the power, infact I prefer the torqy diesel over AHNC vtec.
- Again contrary to popular belief, my pre-sales experience was better with Tata/Fiat then with Honda

Why did I choose a Diesel:

- TDed both petrol and diesel linea few times. I did not find a significant difference in engine noise between the petrol and diesel ( I have always
driven petrols ).
- Technically the MJD diesel engine is much better than the FIRE petrol counterpart ( although a TJet or a better (read larger) engine would have
changed my mind)
- Its better FE then the petrol and we are in a country with cheaper diesel !

Why did I choose the Black Linea ( strictly personal opinion ):

Hip Hop Black - Looks sexy, as in all cars, chrome really shows and one more peculiar thing, the RV mirrors bottoms black looks really bad in
contrast of other colors, so being black that sort of camouflages.
Minimal Grey - Like the minimal grey, but I drive a silver accent, so was not my choice to get another “silver”
Flamenco Red - Red is cool, but IMO, it is a tad darker shade and it looks better in pics than in real-life
Vocal White - I also saw the white, infact I was going to buy the white since my black one was not arriving and it was the first white that came out of the plant. Looks great, but I think I would buy a white one when am 45+ lol.
Parla Champagne – haven’t seen it so can’t talk about it, as such not in my list of colors for a car.

Okay, now for the irritating part A**:

- I booked the Linea on 28th Feb, was promised delivery in 3-4 weeks, that did not happen. My primary purpose was to utilize the 50% depreciation if I get it before 31st March.
- I kept following up since I knew Epack black MJD is high in demand, the dealer and even the marketing head of Fiat assured me it will be there on
30th March at my residence. That never happened. Made a loss on the depreciation bit.
- I was then told I will get it on 1st April, my dad’s birthday, That never happened. !
- Then I was told I will get it on 2nd April as it is already in Gujarat, so I changed my tickets to the US for that day to the next day, hoping I will
finally see the car then fly out. That never happened ! Had to shell out extra money for changing tickets.

And guess what after several months of waiting for this car, especially last few days, my driver gets to take the delivery and first ride ! while I was the grumpy on a plane to NYC . Moral of the story don’t believe what the dealer says especially on delivery dates for MJD Epacks.

I am back on 10th in India, will post the TD report soon.
Cheers.
Old 8th April 2009, 18:20   #2
BHPian

congratz xplora!
you made a good choice.
waiting for pics dude
Old 8th April 2009, 18:35   #3
BHPian

Yet another Linea . It's raining Lineas Halleleujah.

Congrats -xplora-. Great choice. Rest assured your driver will enjoy the drive .

Fiat looks to have been overwelhmed by the response to the Linea, all deliveries unfailingly late...
Old 8th April 2009, 18:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
Fiat looks to have been overwelhmed by the response to the Linea, all deliveries unfailingly late...
That's because most of the buyers are booking for the E+ pack and Fiat did not anticipate so much response for the variant!

Congrats -xplora-. Awaiting pics & initial driving experiences from you once you return to India!
Old 8th April 2009, 18:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mate.... waiting for the pics!
Old 8th April 2009, 19:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Xplora! Great choice!

Awaiting your initial drive report & pics.
Old 8th April 2009, 19:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

You say that you will buy a white car after you turn 45. Hmm. I say that for a sedan .

I have never found sedans to be as desirable as hatches so far, for some reason that I can not fathom.

Congrats on your car. I have seen Linea in black, and I love that colour on Linea.
Old 8th April 2009, 20:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the black one(i personally like black more than the rest)
As for your driver taking the delivery - well life is such what we think often doesn't happens so forget that and enjoy the car when you come back.
Cheers!
Old 8th April 2009, 20:50   #9
BHPian

Congrats xplora and wish you many miles of happy and safe motoring. Thats one lucky driver you have!

We join you in waiting for the intial impressions and dont worry, 10th is only a couple of days away.
Old 8th April 2009, 20:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
Yet another Linea . It's raining Lineas Halleleujah.

Congrats -xplora-. Great choice. Rest assured your driver will enjoy the drive .

Raining Lineas indeed.

Congrats Xplora
Old 8th April 2009, 21:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats-xplora-!!! Good choice. Surprised that you choose diesel as per ur usage. Anyways the service interval is class leading , so dont think it ll pinch your pocket. Let the pics do the talking.
Old 8th April 2009, 21:19   #12
BHPian

congrats xplora. black is elegant - visibility of minor scratches is higher when compared to other colours - be a little extra cautious.
Old 8th April 2009, 21:25   #13
BHPian

CONGRATS!! welcome to the linea club.I see you have also been through the initiation ritual of dealer annoyance all the best.
Old 8th April 2009, 22:29   #14
BHPian

welcome to the club

congrats mate!!!. like you i am also eagerly awaiting my flamenco red fire emotion pack. hope ill get it this week. put some pics so that we can drool for the time being
Old 9th April 2009, 09:23   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on the Linea, waiting for the pictures, black looks good in FIATs these days, the new RED Fiat logo just goes tooo well with the Hip Hop Black.

Most Viewed