Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:02   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
a slight correction sir, its ride has been sorted, but still not the best. the bumpiness present on older scorpios have gone but the ride comfort is nowhere close to innova levels.
from what i have noticed that the scorpio is only allergic to bumps on the roads, whereas it is least affected by potholes. infact, where the innova crashes into a pothole, the scorpio just glides over. this i think is due to the small tyres of the innova compared to the scorpio. but when it comes to bumps, its a different story altogether!
what i meant in my earlier post was that the scorpio's ride is not that good, alright... but its hyped a bit too much on this forum. i agree that the older gen scorpio used to dance like a horse but then most assume that the mHawk is similar in nature.
Raj :True the Scorpio rides are not as comfortable as the Safari or Innova but has vastly improved since 2003.
Old 23rd April 2009, 05:16   #167
BHPian

Innova's ok may be, but as mentioned the innovas crash into potholes I have both the Innova and the scorpio. The scorpio handles load better, but where as if the innova is loaded to capacity the hind suspension just bottoms out and gives a thud sound and a horrible feeling (now for me this is not good ride quality to). As far as safari I dont know what is so great I test drove the LX just a fortnight ago it to has body roll like the scorpio and is quite bouncy to, only thing it has immense leg room and just to mention the plastic on the safari interiors is horrible with air bubbles rough edges finish is not good at all.

I drive with 30 psi on the scorpio, it feels good try it out. This helps alot if your just gonna drive arround with just your self in the machine.

Safari owners please dont pounce on me, this is my personal ophinion.
Old 23rd April 2009, 07:47   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Yeah, I noted that and asked the dealer to do it in front of my eyes. Somehow missed the Nippon booklet. ...
Red, I've posted a scan of the entire booklet here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ir-suv-77.html

Do confirm whether yours is similar.
Old 23rd April 2009, 08:24   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
Innova's ok may be, but as mentioned the innovas crash into potholes I have both the Innova and the scorpio. The scorpio handles load better, but where as if the innova is loaded to capacity the hind suspension just bottoms out and gives a thud sound and a horrible feeling (now for me this is not good ride quality to). As far as safari I dont know what is so great I test drove the LX just a fortnight ago it to has body roll like the scorpio and is quite bouncy to, only thing it has immense leg room and just to mention the plastic on the safari interiors is horrible with air bubbles rough edges finish is not good at all.

I drive with 30 psi on the scorpio, it feels good try it out. This helps alot if your just gonna drive arround with just your self in the machine.

Safari owners please dont pounce on me, this is my personal ophinion.
yes, the innova bottoms out if loaded, but at high speeds, it does not bounce like the scorpio which is a good thing. the safari's ride is not that great but a bit better than the scorpio.
i drive with 31 psi in my scorpio & it feels pretty good.

now where safari owners pouncing on you is concerned, that is guaranteed when you post anything negative about the car!
Old 24th April 2009, 04:58   #170
BHPian

Hey Raj, I see you have all the three culprits. As per you which is the best of the lot your personal choice.

Actually I was planning to give away the scorpio and get the safari, but after seeing the interiors and having test drove it I will stay with the scorpio.
Old 24th April 2009, 09:09   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Raj, I see you have all the three culprits. As per you which is the best of the lot your personal choice.

Actually I was planning to give away the scorpio and get the safari, but after seeing the interiors and having test drove it I will stay with the scorpio.
Hemant- Dont worry about the interiors of the Safari. Go ahead and buy it. I can check out your scorpio. What say?
Old 24th April 2009, 15:56   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

best of the lot:
for a driver: scorpio
for the passenger: innova
dont want both, then the safari!

even i was planning for a safari as a replacement to my scorpio GLX, but after a TD, i again opted for the scorpio. however, my reasons are different: it was not the interiors, it was the scorpio's mHawk engine which impressed me more.
the current safari in our family was bought & is driven by my brother.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 24th April 2009 at 15:57.
Old 24th April 2009, 17:43   #173
BHPian

One more tip: Guess you haven't got your RC book yet. Once you get it double check content, specially the engine size. Our friendly dealer is capable of printing it as 2609cc instead of 2179cc. Mine was printed wrongly.

Also check the tool kits thoroughly - as in the jack, jack spanner and wheel spanner. My wheel spanner was loose fit

Quote:
Learning points:

3. Dont give up on any mistakes the dealership would have made. Make them correct it.

Road manners coming up next...
Old 25th April 2009, 21:04   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Venky Red Liner like to hear more about your new Scorpio. Did you get the RTO registration job done? What all have you fitted on the SUV lately?
Old 27th April 2009, 11:20   #175
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
and to think that most non-scorpio owners (especially the competition's ) still crib that the ride quality is "PATHETIC"! most of them comment without even sitting in the mHawk. i guess this is the only thing they can complain about in an otherwise great vehicle or maybe they have sharp senses, can visually judge the ride quality of a car from outside!
Or some like me complain after sitting in a mHawak, and if one may add also crib about the lack of rear space in the middle row and Front row for 6 footers with a bit of a pounch.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th April 2009 at 21:24.
Old 27th April 2009, 16:26   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Or some like me complain after sitting in a mHawak, and if one may add also crib about the lack of rear space in the middle row and Front row for 6 footers with a bit of a pounch.
It's a little known secret that Mahindra had the health interest of Indians in mind when designing the Scorpio. They hope that people would be encouraged to stay trim and fit just to own the scorpio . If your paunch is bigger than say 12 inches then you need to get the Safari.
Old 30th April 2009, 20:15   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Venky Red Liner like to hear more about your new Scorpio. Did you get the RTO registration job done? What all have you fitted on the SUV lately?
Sure Red Liner would like to hear more and more about the First Scorpio Refresh on teambhp.Do post more and more pictures and reviews.
Old 30th April 2009, 21:09   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

The Outside and the Inside: All muscle or all brains?

Quote:
Yes...and you must be wondering what is in store?

1. Taking delivery - how we did the PDI
2. The Outside and the Inside: All muscle or all brains?
3. Overall driving experience: Moving up from a Hatch/Sedan
4. Initial experiences: In the city and on the highway - is she a bull (nay, Bizon) in a china-shop?
5. Bonus! Perspectives from the passenger containment - different people, ages, and even genders!

If anybody wants anything more, please do let me know, and you can consider it done!
By Popular demand!

The Outside and the Inside: All muscle or all brains?

So what is it like to upgrade from a puny hatch/sedan to a monster (though the word monster can have many connotations as a potential Alpine blue Getz CRDI owner chose to describe his blue little thing - here monster is being used solely to describe the gargantuan size of the Scorpio compared to a hatch/sedan).

Well, you do move up. Quite literally. You climb into this thing. Like you do into an Army truck. I used to slink into my Palio. Here you clamber onto the Scorpio. However, clambering onto something is not everyone's idea of getting into a car. For some, its almost akin to hitting the gym, and clambering into the Scorpio might turn out to get rid of more calories. My mom certainly did not appreciate this - and she is of the *plonk into the lazy boy in front of home and eat lots of chocolate ice cream variety*. For sure my Granny is going to write me out of any will from now unto 4 generations down the line once she sees the step-ladder (or the lack of a few more steps).

Which kind of looks gaudy. I did so much love the Adventure foot rails. Just that little bit of finesse. Make a product to go 90% and then why scrimp on the last 10%? I am only talking about the product - not the service that comes later.

The view is tremendous from the driver seat. Its akin to driving from the perch of your balcony. You can see almost everything. You can look down into people's cars. Very rewarding especially if its a hot girl driving a puny something next to you. The bonnet looks tight from your gay little perch inside the car. It really helps in gauging distance, nooks, and corners a lot better. I like the tight fit.

The seating position is more upright - as opposed to most other cars which are kind of slouched in. Sitting in the Scorpio is much like sitting in a plastic chair outside the headmaster's room. Its an L. No, I am not talking about comfort - but the structure. A hatch - typically the Palio - on the other hand is more outstretched - giving you a sense of space. However, that means you are lower into your car, and thus judging corners, nooks, and everything hidden becomes that much more difficult. M&M has really captured the age-old jeep seat system nicely. I drove a Willy's in and around Bangalore for 2 years as a daily driver before upgrading to the Scorpio. And I nestled in almost immediately.

I am relatively of average height as compared to other Indian males. Scandinavian women however, towered over me, and my head quite literally lay under their ample bosoms. However, I believe I am of more than average fitness - having surveyed every restaurant in Bangalore that offers Diet coke - and thus my lack of a paunch did not seem to be a deal breaker when I bought the Scorpio. For many others, their relative lack of fitness (or as they would like to call it - their abundance of physical body-wealth) seemed to wean them towards the more *made for the Indian Masses* Safari.

Apparently, in the Scorpio, the paunch interferes with the Steering wheel - since it is pressed thus close to the body. Abnormally bigger built Indian men feel their egos crushed when asked to get into a monster that cannot accommodate them. M&M introduced tilt steering. Indian pubs introduced buy 1 beer get 3 free. M&M could not keep pace with the increasing girth of our population.

I am at the signal to cut into Brigade road now. A frail man hobbles up to me and asks me for some spare change. I hate spoiling people with money - I am more of the give love type. However, I did not feel like getting out of the car - sorry, climbing down from the car - and hugging him. I reached out to get some change from the many cubicles of space on my left between the gear box and the middle row AC vent. Very nicely done. As I reached on my right to pull the window down - where are the switches?!

I frantically search the door pad and the door for the switch. To no avail! The signal has turned green and the old man has seen my change - his prize money for the fantastically put together choreography of a hobble he managed to pull off as he approached me. Honks behind nothwithstanding I finally found the switch just above the mid row AC vent and and handed out the change. Phew! He had a damn wooden stick - which might have grazed my Bison if I had not been quicker. Damn stingy M&M for not providing more switches for the front passengers right next to them.

As I rest my hand over the outstretched gear lever protruding towards me to shift into 1, my girl friend who was accompanying me made a vague comment.

She: The gear lever looks very manly.
Me: Yeah! (puffed up chest, fake ray-bans et all)

She: It looks like Shiva's linga (for being unable to write the actual product name which women use to replace men).
Me: Eh?

She: See it even vibrates!
Me: Shrink my hand back in horror as I retract into a cold dark shell.

My comfort zone was no longer comforting me. Having my hand over a linga look-alike, feel-alike, shake-alike was a little unnerving. Very spurious thoughts flooded my mind each time I slid my hand over the throbbing male member of the Scorpio. However, in time - I came to align with it as my own. And thus, now - I dont have any qualms in flaunting my HUGE, magnanimous throbbing gear lever to all and sundry.

I cowered over the steering wheel, lest she taunted that with her meaningless drivel - which was actually quite hurtful. I like the Scorp's steering wheel. It was big, chunky, and smooth. Very easy to hold and felt quite buttery to slip and slide indeed. The horn was placed nice and wide, and could be accessed no matter where your hand on the wheel is. Perfect to taunt that elderly couple who take forever to cross the road. Mwaaaahahaha!

No, I am not like that. I waited very patiently without honking for them to amble across and even received a small tribute from them before clunking along.

Part 2 of this section to be continued...

Last edited by Red Liner : 30th April 2009 at 21:26.
Red Liner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th April 2009, 22:33   #179
Senior - BHPian

Is this what a Scorpio does to people? Makes them wax lyrical?
Gives a lechy twist to their sense of humour?

Regrettably, my old Scorpio does not give me this pulsating lever that you speak of, so I have to bring my own always!

Red, you're in form! Waiting for the next installment!
Old 30th April 2009, 23:10   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Venky nice, literary review.Never knew that other than the Amarnath caves we had the "linga" right within our beasts! The PW controls take time to get used to as our reflexes tend to attract us near the door.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks