Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2009, 10:24   #181
Senior - BHPian

hmm, this takes a total new dimension to the knob, realisation.
Old 1st May 2009, 11:06   #182
Senior - BHPian

I'm ROTFL reading this in the office and people are staring at me! Need to go and do some work!

Enjoy your Scorpio and all the extra bells and whistles
Old 4th May 2009, 15:41   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Beauty and the Geek - Part 2

The steering wheel, like I mentioned before is nice and chunky. The overall speed-console is nice too - however when lit up during stark day time, the lights fail to...light you up. For example, using the high beam flasher during the afternoon - and the indicator in the dashboard squeaks to submission.

Fit and finish around the Scorpio leaves a lot to be desired. Little bits of plastic shrapnel protude out of everything. Door handles need to be pushed in to eliminate yawning gaps. Plastic wafers hang out for you to pluck them off. Very chaltha hai attitude. The QC department would not last 2 minutes under my eagle eyes.

The glove box, as mentioned before does not even befit being a cubby hole for my kitten. Less said the better.

Seats offer fantastic support - as an upgrade from my Willy's and Palio. Very snug and comfy. The space compartment on the door beside the seat however is practically useless and I am scared to put my hand down there for fear of getting them stuck.

The middle row seats are OK. There's nothing much to do in the middle seats apart from playing with the power window buttons (which I always keep locked), and fiddling with the AC (which I always keep off for the middle row). Yes, I am quite self centered. A roof mounted AC would have been nice, but I have no idea why they discontinued that. My middle row is a 2+1 combination which means that 2 seats can be folded individually from the third one. Nice.

The last row of seats are best left for people you hate. No AC. No windows. No leg space. Bad ingress and egress. Do those people need more hints?!

I did not like the all beige/wood ensemble. Very plasticky and fake. And very prone to dirt. I like everything black for the ease of keeping them clean. Its unbelievable that in India- which is warm, dirty, and sweaty, the favourite choice of clothes for most people include a combination of white. Same goes for our cars - lighter, sophisticated colors.

The dashboard - as a friend described it - is a Wall. A flat wall. With a noticeable bulge at some points. It looks like the bulge starting from the bonnet towards the headlights and down to the body armour below have been flipped around and used as part of the dashboard design to encourage uniformity. A very sarcastic uniformity.

So the interiors are a mix of ugliness and brainlessness. Bits and pieces here and there show you that the soul of the car is pristine (inner beauty even?). Certainly a truck load of thought could have gone into making it better in this version - but we are like this wonly saar.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2009, 19:08   #184
BHPian

Grocery Expedition!

Kind of confusing... isn't it?

You chose this vehicle/colour as soon as the word "expedition" crossed your mind. And then you sign off saying it's for groceries!
Old 4th May 2009, 20:14   #185
Senior - BHPian

# 178, bloody awesome. Really good one.

Rated your thread 5*.

And # 183, come on, you are being too cruel to your SUV.
Old 4th May 2009, 20:23   #186
BHPian

Red Liner- The Part 2 was a !!!!

Anyone who hasnt seen the scorpio but only read part 2 of the review will certainly think that the Scorpio is the worst automobile in the world.

Now waiting for the drive report from you.
Old 5th May 2009, 12:47   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

My middle row is a 2+1 combination which means that 2 seats can be folded individually from the third one. Nice.
2+1 middle row seat must be great. Can work it around depending on your luggage / seating requirements. Is is a standard fit for SLE or offered as an option??

Quote:
I did not like the all beige/wood ensemble. Very plasticky and fake. And very prone to dirt. I like everything black for the ease of keeping them clean. Its unbelievable that in India- which is warm, dirty, and sweaty, the favourite choice of clothes for most people include a combination of white. Same goes for our cars - lighter, sophisticated colors.
The beige interiors sure are prone to dirt. Have seen a couple of 2-3 year old scorps with pretty dirty interiors. Will need to put in some work to keep it ship shape. Do let us know how you fare.

If you look with an eye as sharp as yours, there are bound to be a number of shortcomings. But to be fair to to mahindra, they do deserve some applause for coming out with such a brilliant engine and an overall decent package.
Hope you enjoy your time tripping. Cheers.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th May 2009 at 15:57. Reason: Please use the quote feature. Thanks.
Old 12th May 2009, 19:29   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Venky waiting for the next part of the Review!!
Old 15th May 2009, 14:48   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Road manners coming up next...
Red Liner - searched for this but could not find it? help please
Old 15th May 2009, 15:37   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Kind of confusing... isn't it?

You chose this vehicle/colour as soon as the word "expedition" crossed your mind. And then you sign off saying it's for groceries!
Getting my groceries is a damn expedition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
# 178, bloody awesome. Really good one.

Rated your thread 5*.

And # 183, come on, you are being too cruel to your SUV.
Not being cruel. Just being extremely truthful about what I feel. Thanks for the rating though. I write this because I love rambling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Red Liner- The Part 2 was a !!!!

Anyone who hasnt seen the scorpio but only read part 2 of the review will certainly think that the Scorpio is the worst automobile in the world.

Now waiting for the drive report from you.
For sure, but then the drive report is going to be a stunner. To a certain extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
[i]

2+1 middle row seat must be great. Can work it around depending on your luggage / seating requirements. Is is a standard fit for SLE or offered as an option??

The beige interiors sure are prone to dirt. Have seen a couple of 2-3 year old scorps with pretty dirty interiors. Will need to put in some work to keep it ship shape. Do let us know how you fare.

If you look with an eye as sharp as yours, there are bound to be a number of shortcomings. But to be fair to to mahindra, they do deserve some applause for coming out with such a brilliant engine and an overall decent package.
Hope you enjoy your time tripping. Cheers.
Its an option for SLE for no extra charge. Beige interiors are okay...will clean it up once in a while. Ofcourse M&M do deserve credit...a friend of mine who is a staunch HMotors supporter (has like 5 Amby's and 2 Contessas and nothing else) did reckon that the Scorpio has really taken M&M to a whole new game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Venky waiting for the next part of the Review!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Red Liner - searched for this but could not find it? help please
For sure guys...having clicked 5,500 Kms so far, I did have to rigorously put pedal to the metal before writing the next in this trilogy of epics.
Old 16th May 2009, 11:13   #191
Senior - BHPian

wow, 5500 kms , I guess in around 1 month !! Thats taking the full from your beast. Is the first service done ?
Old 16th May 2009, 12:07   #192
BHPian

Amazing read. M&M would do well to hire you as a copy writer. The Shivalinga episode had me in splits. Superb writing. Eagerly awaiting the next in the series.

Heres a 5 star rating for you. Its gonna be thanks to enthusiasm from you and Raj (the first two that come to mind) that I am sticking with my decision for a Scorpio. Thats probably happening Jan of 2010.
Old 19th May 2009, 15:05   #193
Senior - BHPian

Hey RL, where is the rest of the report bro:? Been a while
Old 19th May 2009, 15:56   #194
BHPian

I'd seriously like you to be part of M&Ms Quality /interior design department. Unless you say 'yes' things Scorpio shouldn't roll out. Then M& M would beat Toyota hands down.

Then I'd even consider buying M7M vehicles.

Also send in one of your notes to TOI. They may consider replacing Jugular vain's column with yours.

Last edited by marlinspike : 19th May 2009 at 16:06.
Old 19th May 2009, 16:19   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For sure guys...having clicked 5,500 Kms so far, I did have to rigorously put pedal to the metal before writing the next in this trilogy of epics.
Whoa man! you sure are driving the beast around . Have you done the first service? Were the Service Center guys mistake your Beast for a Taxi because of the mileage.

The guys at the service station seeing the odo of my storm thought it was month old. LOL

Most Viewed